Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely, I'm just hoping like others are that they don't lose some of the more upbeat side of VII.

Emo :smithcloud: is the worst Cloud

Same, I just want swaggering, cocksure Cloud. Hand on hip pose and excited squats mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning Returns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i didn't like 13 a whole lot and haven't played 13-2 but i definitely got eight to ten dollars out of them. if you're interested give them a shot

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

please change thread title to "don't loving buy ff13"

Absolutely not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Final Fantasy XIII: The Fractured But Whole

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 17, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

change the thread title to "weigh what people say but make your own decisions about what you buy"

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

SereneCrimson posted:

I was talking to a friend about FF7 remake, and there's really only one way it'll match the hype for me. I want them to completely retool the battle system to be more in line with Crisis Core/Kingdom Hearts/FF15

See, and doing this is actually the only thing they could do to make me *not* buy the game.

But this is exactly what they're going to do, so hey, you should be happy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They ar enot retooling the battle system, just fyi.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

They ar enot retooling the battle system, just fyi.

At the very least, I doubt they'd make huge sweeping changes. Probably gonna keep the core mechanics and spice up the battlefield a bit, probably with an FFXIII style move around the battlefield kind of thing.

Now how they'd do certain boss battles, that's a question. Just have you jump up and slash Ruby in the face, or is it just gonna be hacking away at his ankles?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

FFXIII style move around the battlefield kind of thing.

Was there ever a way to actually influence how characters moved in that game?

It just seemed kind of dumb to me to have AoE attacks in a game where you can't control where your own character moves to, but maybe I missed something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Enemies would usually fight as a pack so AoE attacks are pretty useful for that kind of thing. I don't see much in the way of change beyond making fights look a bit more dynamic and fixing up some balance stuff and hopefully adding a skip animation option so I never have to see 18 minute long Knights of the Round beyond the first time ever again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mostly was concerned with AoE attacks being used against you though.

It just would seem a little silly to me to take damage suddenly because Lightning just had to walk into an attack for no reason.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Just have all the knights attack simultaneously.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm real excited to see the summons in HD and if you're not you need to rethink some stuff

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'd agree with the skip button though

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fungah! posted:

i'm real excited to see the summons Super Nova in HD and if you're not you need to rethink some stuff

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

FF13's gameplay is decent once it opens up, but it has some of the most hilariously nonsensical storytelling I have ever seen in a AAA game.

More nonsensical than FFVIII? Wow, that's saying something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are they ever actually intending to release the FFXV demo to people who didn't buy that other game?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

i'm real excited to see the summons in HD and if you're not you need to rethink some stuff

That's true, some of the flashier attacks from FF7 would look really sick in full-on PS4 graphics.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Gamespot has an article up on how Re-VII might deviate from the original

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-s-story-could-deviate-from-/1100-6428247/

So crossdressing in, but the game may deviate.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

FF8 didn't have the main villain's goal be a suicide by cop that would destroy the universe, with the party gleefully trying to kill the the villain while just hoping really hard it wouldn't end all of existence. Zell didn't randomly turn into a Hot Dog God either after betraying everyone either.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

That's true, some of the flashier attacks from FF7 would look really sick in full-on PS4 graphics.

that's the thing, there's a lot of really good spectacle moments in ff7 that looked fantastic back in the day and are going to look totally insane on a modern system. ff7 doesn't have the deepest mechanics anyway, a lot of the game's about the spectacle and that's going to be top loving notch

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Oh gently caress, KotR in the style of FF XV Ramuh, the PS4 will die.

Also, with the amount of silly things people tend to get stuck upon I wish the next teaser would be Cloud and co. looking all morose in the post-plate falling sector VII and Cloud looks around at the HD carnage, shoulders his sword and says "Let's mosey". I wonder how many pro-orders that would cause.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lightning Returns is good and has the best waifu.
Lightning

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raxivace posted:

FF8 didn't have the main villain's goal be a suicide by cop that would destroy the universe, with the party gleefully trying to kill the the villain while just hoping really hard it wouldn't end all of existence. Zell didn't randomly turn into a Hot Dog God either after betraying everyone either.

No, that would've actually made FFVIII's story interesting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lightning in lr kind of reminded me of cloud because she stops whining and is just an rear end in a top hat to everybody

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

The plot of FF13 is what happened when Motomu Toriyama watched the TV show Lost and said "I'm going to make a Final Fantasy game like this".

I'm not even joking.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

The plot of FF13 is what happened when Motomu Toriyama watched the TV show Lost and said "I'm going to make a Final Fantasy game like this".

I'm not even joking.

Pretty much, though I actually liked the flashback structure in FF13.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Although that reminds me, does anyone have a link to that story about FF8 being the result of the writers being locked in a room with a gas leak?

e: nm http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff08

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Keep the story as sparse as possible and don't burden it with frequent 10-minute cutscenes where the older game just had 30 seconds of dialogue boxes.

Keep the materia system more or less as-was at least as far as the fancy combos.

Make parachuting into Midgar a pilotwings-esque minigame.

I am prepared to give you my money in approximately 3 years.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Oh gently caress, KotR in the style of FF XV Ramuh, the PS4 will die.

Also, with the amount of silly things people tend to get stuck upon I wish the next teaser would be Cloud and co. looking all morose in the post-plate falling sector VII and Cloud looks around at the HD carnage, shoulders his sword and says "Let's mosey". I wonder how many pro-orders that would cause.

I would like to see Sapphire WEAPON attack Junon Harbour in PS4 HD, I think that would be cool

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I am excited for the return of random encounters

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy loving poo poo Machina is such a stupid retarded rear end in a top hat fucker. God, go gently caress yourself you stupid dick.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Maybe the remake will finally shed some light for me on just what exactly that couple was doing outside the train station.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the pizza coming down, diamond weapon obliterating shinra HQ, basically every summon, the motorcycle scene all in gorgeous ps4 graphics. i'm pumped

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i cant wait for the inevitable genesis cameo featuring gackt as genesis

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

this but unironically

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sadly, Gackt apparently doesn't like Squeenix anymore.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
I'm just praying all the mini-games don't turn into ride to hell quicktime events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Fungah! posted:

the pizza coming down, diamond weapon obliterating shinra HQ, basically every summon, the motorcycle scene all in gorgeous ps4 graphics. i'm pumped

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I would like to see Sapphire WEAPON attack Junon Harbour in PS4 HD, I think that would be cool

Excellent points, there are many scenes that still leave an impression, to think of seeing them redone in HD - it'd be like seeing FFX for the first time all over again.