Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's the next moral quandary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oHP9tXXEE4

Kicking someone off a driving bike they stole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

wayfinder posted:

If you've got the owner's explicit permission, and you're absolutely sure that's the bike, and at low speed, and the cops don't arrest YOU - sure!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Quandary? Perfectly executed justice

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

InterceptorV8 posted:

Best coal roller I've seen lately came from a UPS box truck. I'm pretty sure that engine WAS on it's last legs and the driver was flogging it like he was trying to win the Silver State Classic. I always thought those things couldn't do over 65 mph.

This reminds me of an excerpt from a book:

"My uncle Shotsy was a UPS driver. He used to tell me that you could take any corner at exactly twice its posted speed. The second time he rolled his big brown van, UPS let him go."

Michael Perry, Population 485

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

It is a diesel after all so he's probably throwing poo poo at the lifted king ranch group.

Or maybe he's only kind of compensating.

This is a huge thing in a VW diesel crowd now, and it pisses me the gently caress off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wayfinder posted:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

wayfinder posted:

I'll be the rear end in a top hat that points out the guy giving chase is riding over his head and almost wrecked it turning through that intersection.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

I'll be the rear end in a top hat that points out the guy giving chase is riding over his head and almost wrecked it turning through that intersection.

Can't help but agree there - this so easily could have turned into a hilarious video of a single-vehicle motorcycle crash. So rare these days, it seems like they all get creamed by other drivers before they get to do anything stupid enough to throw them off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I had a few drinks this evening and took a cab home. The cabbie had no idea where he was going, and managed to actually reverse down a busy street to take the exit he should've taken. What the gently caress is the test for a CDL and/or a taxi license, being able to produce fog on a mirror one time out of three? What the gently caress is this poo poo? I'm worried about taking the Spanish drivers' test if I ever move there, and apparently our test for a commercial license is several orders of magnitude more forgiving than that.

How much loving worse could Uber and friends possibly be? Burn the taxi monopoly to the ground.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You only need a class 4 for taxi, which isn't any different than the class 5 test. All you have to know is a few ambulance questions for the written.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Taxis here are loving expensive, a 15km ride to the airport will set you back between $50 and $70 depending on route and time of day. You would expect world class service at those prices, but the drivers, more often than not, have zero fucks to give about anything. Last guy I had was sitting in the car smoking, dumped the butt on the ground, begrudgingly started the car, had no idea in which direction my flat was (even though it's right next door to a major taxi garage/mechanic/tire place) and finished off by dumping my carefully hand-carried duffel from the trunk to the slushy ground.

I ferry all my friends and family to and from the airport now. Even as a top-10% earner in this country, it's still worth my time in favors to do that. gently caress taxis.

Oh yeah, and then there was the creepy as gently caress dude who was way too interested in what we'd been doing and where we'd been, and then he executed his carefully practiced trick of leaving me to sign the CC slip while he "galantly" jumped out of the car to open the door for my girlfriend so he could check her out.

I have a number of issues with Uber and their clones, but gently caress taxis.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those are guys who happen to drive taxis, not real and proper Taxi Drivers.

The latter are usually older guys who pride themselves on good service and who will happily shoot the breeze with anyone about anything.

It's still expensive as all hell, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Once I got a taxi where the dude was ranting something about "women is making the traffic poo poo", while weaving trough lanes and going fast as gently caress on places that he shouldn't. I think he also ran a red light at some point.

I could have tried being a smarmy gently caress with him, but I was more preoccupied with holding on for dear life.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My experience between taxis/lyft could not be any more black and white. Every cab I've ever been in in my entire life has been dirty, poorly maintained, and smelled like poo poo. The drivers routinely committed numerous moving violations, often more than one at the same time, and failed to obey even the most basic driving principles. All while driving extra mileage to run up the meter and refusing to provide estimates before the trip.

Lyft, meanwhile has clean cars, courteous drivers who obey traffic laws, and will provide price estimates.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Our city council has said that Lyft/Uber would be very bad because there may not be any requirement to know how the city is laid out, and no test of English fluency. I don't know what kind of test they make taxi drivers take, but it obviously isn't stringent enough.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

PT6A posted:

Our city council has said that Lyft/Uber would be very bad because there may not be any requirement to know how the city is laid out, and no test of English fluency. I don't know what kind of test they make taxi drivers take, but it obviously isn't stringent enough.

I'd say 9/10 taxi rides I've done, the drat driver is using GPS to find out where to go. Then takes a longer route.

Taxi drivers are scum of the road, super aggressive, squeeze into spots and cut you off and will change lanes with no signals, usually in the middle of the intersection.

I tell my students the worst thing on the road you can see is a taxi cab. Next to bro trucks.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I don't think I have taken a taxi since Uber started in seattle. I tend to use the black cars instead of uberx just to get the "professional" drivers. Always super courteous and pleasant to be in the car with, don't drive like loving maniacs but will haul rear end if you are in a hurry and normally know where they are going. Hell, if they aren't sure where they are going they usually even ask if I want to give directions or they can use their GPS. Biggest downside is feeling like an rear end in a top hat when you order a towncar but a escalade shows up. Still costs the same as the towncar, but I feel like a dick being carted around in a HUGE suv with just me and the driver.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0elsNDRqLtQ

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I have to vent about this somewhere. Walking to work this morning, come up to a crosswalk, the road I'm crossing has a stop sign and the cross traffic doesn't stop and is 4 lanes plus a left turn lane, and extremely busy, nobody who knows what they are doing tries to turn left onto it. So this guy pulls up to the stop sign to turn left of course and stops in the crosswalk. Usually I just walk in front of them anyway when they do this, but he was driving a massive SUV and was so far forward I would have been in traffic. So I'm going behind him and almost get hit by a car turning left that couldn't see me. I walked to the SUV driver's window and said "that's why you're not supposed to stop in the crosswalk." He flips me off and peels out. Classy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I observed a fucktard in a newish truck brake check a huge rear end dumptruck which was towing a dump trailer. Why? because the truck driver didn't try to match his merge speed with traffic on the freeway and just kept driving on the shoulder until he could get in front of the dumptruck.

Then he moved over two lanes to the left lane and drove 55.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that he passes traffic on the right, only to turn left shortly down the block(video is from the UK for those that did not watch)? If a car ever tried that move everyone would freak out, but a cyclist doing it is fine?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
But don't you know that merging is hard? You might have to adjust your speed to the rest of traffic, and what if that traffic isn't going the speed you want to go?
85kph might not be the speed that I want to go, sure I could take 4 seconds to merge behind the lorry and over take it, but that only meets 99.9% of my needs......

/Louis CK

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was merging onto a highway over the weekend, the merge lane is a bit longer than normal because it turns into an exit only about a mile later.

Some twit in a Ram pulls up alongside me and matches my speed perfectly, door to door. I speed up a little to get in front of him so I can merge over, he speeds up too. I let off the gas, he lets off the gas. I started to think he was intentionally loving with me but after I mashed the pedal to the floor and made a real effort to pull away he didn't respond. Eventually got enough of a gap to pull in front of him, check the mirror, and of course he's on his phone.

Idiot. :argh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Negromancer posted:

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that he passes traffic on the right, only to turn left shortly down the block(video is from the UK for those that did not watch)? If a car ever tried that move everyone would freak out, but a cyclist doing it is fine?

I'm a bit annoyed about the people who think they are the road police, when they are just a twat on a bike.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

For most things, yes, but that woman was eating a bowl of cereal while attempting to drive. I think I'd make an exception to the "mind your own business" rule for that.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

spog posted:

I'm a bit annoyed about the people who think they are the road police, when they are just a twat on a bike.

All cyclists are twats.

Eating a bowl of cereal isn't as bad as texting and driving.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I was merging onto a highway over the weekend, the merge lane is a bit longer than normal because it turns into an exit only about a mile later.

Some twit in a Ram pulls up alongside me and matches my speed perfectly, door to door. I speed up a little to get in front of him so I can merge over, he speeds up too. I let off the gas, he lets off the gas. I started to think he was intentionally loving with me but after I mashed the pedal to the floor and made a real effort to pull away he didn't respond. Eventually got enough of a gap to pull in front of him, check the mirror, and of course he's on his phone.

I think this must be some sort of target fixation. They're obviously not paying any attention to you directly, but they must be subconsciously matching your speed through subtle changes. Yet another problem that can be solved by paying loving attention.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Negromancer posted:

Not really, he didn't seem to hold anyone up or interfere with traffic flow or anything, seemed perfectly safe.

PT6A posted:

For most things, yes, but that woman was eating a bowl of cereal while attempting to drive. I think I'd make an exception to the "mind your own business" rule for that.
Basically, yeah. Shoving a Ginsters into your face or taking a swig of coffee, fair enough, but a loving bowl of cereal?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think this must be some sort of target fixation. They're obviously not paying any attention to you directly, but they must be subconsciously matching your speed through subtle changes. Yet another problem that can be solved by paying loving attention.

There is.

If I see someone pacing me like that on my door area, I can look down and most times they are loving around on a phone.

The other times it's a tablet.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont see an issue unless someone hits you.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

InitialDave posted:

Not really, he didn't seem to hold anyone up or interfere with traffic flow or anything, seemed perfectly safe.

true, it just pisses me off on the level of cyclists always saying share the road and they have the same rights as cars, until the rules that they *should* follow become inconvenient then they jump up on the sidewalk or just blatantly break the rules. I would just like consistency from them. If you are going to pass cars on the shoulder, when traffic is moving stay to the side so cars can get by, don't pass cars on the right when traffic is stopped, but as soon as its moving sit in the middle of the lane doing 15mph and making a point to not let cars pass you. Also, please don't yell at me to watch where I am going when you jump out into traffic from the sidewalk between 2 parked cars right in front of me.

vvv at least in the US, I believe you are only allowed to pass on the right side of traffic, so he would have broken that rule. The other stuff is just poo poo I see cyclist do on a regular basis. vvv

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 17, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In some places, it's perfectly legal for cyclists (and sometimes motorcyclists) to pass stopped cars. This cyclist did not hop up onto a sidewalk, or run a red light or stop sign as far as I could tell.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was walking to work this morning, and up ahead is a controlled intersection. The light turned yellow, and from a couple hundred feet behind me, I heard a car revving up. As the driver was trying to catch the light, it turned red... for a solid 2-3 seconds. S/he was still on his accelerator with no signs of slowing down and unequivocally blew past the red light, giving absolutely no fucks. Still on the gas, driver tried to catch the protected turn at the next intersection that led to the freeway entrance and flew right through that as well. The driver's a loving nut, and I hope he/she/it/whatever wrecks his car (a Lexus SUV.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I saw something similar the other day. I was on a flyover into downtown, which has a light at the end. The light was green when I first saw it, then immediately turned yellow, and then red, all giving the car in front of me ample time to stop. Nope; just cruises right through it like it wasn't even there. They didn't speed up, so it could just be that they were paying absolutely no attention. The sun was coming from directly behind, but since the light was actually in the process of changing, it was easy to see that it had been green, and was now red.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Negromancer posted:

I do it all the loving time when traffic is going 5mph after work when everyone's trying to escape at the same time. If such a thing annoys you then you should get on a bike and get ahead of traffic yourself instead of being traffic.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

I was walking to work this morning, and up ahead is a controlled intersection. The light turned yellow, and from a couple hundred feet behind me, I heard a car revving up. As the driver was trying to catch the light, it turned red... for a solid 2-3 seconds. S/he was still on his accelerator with no signs of slowing down and unequivocally blew past the red light, giving absolutely no fucks. Still on the gas, driver tried to catch the protected turn at the next intersection that led to the freeway entrance and flew right through that as well. The driver's a loving nut, and I hope he/she/it/whatever wrecks his car (a Lexus SUV.)

PT6A posted:

I saw something similar the other day. I was on a flyover into downtown, which has a light at the end. The light was green when I first saw it, then immediately turned yellow, and then red, all giving the car in front of me ample time to stop. Nope; just cruises right through it like it wasn't even there. They didn't speed up, so it could just be that they were paying absolutely no attention. The sun was coming from directly behind, but since the light was actually in the process of changing, it was easy to see that it had been green, and was now red.

A few months ago, as my light is turning green, I witnessed a pick-up truck running the red light to go straight slam into a car running the red light to turn left from the opposite direction.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Murphys Law posted:

A few months ago, as my light is turning green, I witnessed a pick-up truck running the red light to go straight slam into a car running the red light to turn left from the opposite direction.

Poetic justice. Two wrongs don't make a right! :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Or a left, apparently.

:v:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

I refer to these vehicles as barnacles. My wife is perplexed when during a calm expressway drive I suddenly stomp the go button and accelerate to 15-20 over, only to coast back to my previous speed (9 over) and re-set the cruise control. This is what I call "breaking off the barnacle". All barnacles are in a trance and you just need to adjust their environment slightly to break the trance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I refer to these vehicles as barnacles. My wife is perplexed when during a calm expressway drive I suddenly stomp the go button and accelerate to 15-20 over, only to coast back to my previous speed (9 over) and re-set the cruise control. This is what I call "breaking off the barnacle". All barnacles are in a trance and you just need to adjust their environment slightly to break the trance.

This. Oh my god, yes. Between my city and the local state college there are several seemingly-perpetual miles of mixed-access highway (two double lanes with a wide median) that is a 55 mph zone. Road zombies will come out of nowhere and latch too-closely onto my speed-limit-abiding rear end and not let go until I break the spell with a barnacle scrape like you described.

If there isn't any other nearby traffic to disrupt/annoy I will start with gradually deaccelerating by cruise control until I'm going as low as 40. If :sparkles: on the phone doesn't catch on, I pop back up to 55. The required treatment is usually a couple of doses, then I get the finger from mad :sparkles: as she (sometimes he) gets the message and finally passes me *BbbraAAAPpp*.