Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

site posted:

This is probably a long shot, but do we even know that that is for sure a cyberdemon? Maybe it's a new enemy?

It's DooM, it's got huge horns, it's got tech stuff built into it, and a big rear end gun for an arm. What else could it be?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elliotw2 posted:

They gave out a little statue of it at the end of the conference and it says Cyberdemon under it.

Oh. lol okay never mind then.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm hoping they bring the cherubs back from doom 3, those were creepy

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hopefully trites or however were called those spiders-with-human-heads-as-bodies won't come back, because gently caress they were annoying

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Perhaps there's a bigger badder demon that'll be in.
What if the Cyberdemon is to <blank> as the Arachnotrons are to the Spider Mastermind :black101:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Technically that would be the Mother Demon from Doom 64.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I thought it was the Icon of Sin that filled that role

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

I thought it was the Icon of Sin that filled that role

The only role it filled is the lame boss role.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

laserghost posted:

That revenant tho

revenant looks to me like he's wearing glowing green sunglasses

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

JerryLee posted:

revenant looks to me like he's wearing glowing green sunglasses

deal with it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Alehkhs posted:

A couple floated past in the background of Hell during the demo, but here - have a better look at the cacodemon:

I showed this to a friend, and he saw the things in the front. "Those aren't cacodemons." he said sadly. Then a tick later "HOLY HELL THAT'S A CACODEMON."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The fact that the cacodemon does such a good job updating the classic look make the Hell Knight and Cyberdemon all the more disappointing.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

JerryLee posted:

The fact that the cacodemon does such a good job updating the classic look make the Hell Knight and Cyberdemon all the more disappointing.
That's actually the Doom 3 Hell Knight, not Doom 2! :eng101: If you look at it that way, then it's spot on!

Surprisingly, the new Cybie looks more like the old Barons. Just replace the rocket launcher with a normal arm and make them a little smaller.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

A.o.D. posted:

It's DooM, it's got huge horns, it's got tech stuff built into it, and a big rear end gun for an arm. What else could it be?

Does it have huge guts?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Snapmap reminds me of the time I sketched out ideas for basically doombuilder but instead of applying textures you applied whole greeble set so it came out looking like a modern corridor shooter instead of a 20 year old corridor shooter. I'm glad some companies are actively experimenting with ways to make easy levelbuilding work. That's the real reason Doom still lives imo, you can learn to build playable maps in a day. It takes a lot longer to build *good* ones mind, but playable? Yep.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

What this game needs is some kind of randrott/oblige level generator. And those levels being sold in bulk as a D!Zone DLC :v

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TerminusEst13 posted:

Technically that would be the Mother Demon from Doom 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYOrjF5C8dc

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That's some great timing with for level ending :stare:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Colon Semicolon posted:

Megaman 9 was brutal (haha) and did some really evil things like making 1up shaped enemies. It was merely okay. Megaman 10 did that too and was honestly bad for than just being the same thing.
What are you talking about? Megaman 9 and 10 are the best 'classic' MM games.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i was actually really pleasantly surprised by the Doom 4 trailer. I was kind of worried about it, but it looks like they're doing a good job of bringing the hyper-kinetic feel of doom to the new generation. I mean, you can't sell a game on mobility these days without jumping and parkour. The fatalities look neat, and they look like they're context sensitive (position relative to stuff, jumping down on stuff etc) enough to be pretty varied in normal gameplay. The recent far cry games have used a kind of fixed fatality system like that and they worked out to be a ton of fun.
I agree with this minus the fatalities.
Except the one fatality where he grabbed the guy's leg and bent it up so he crushed his own head with his foot

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

IronicDongz posted:

MM10 is a very-much-less-good version of Megaman 9, which was fantastic.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I agree with this minus the fatalities.
Except the one fatality where he grabbed the guy's leg and bent it up so he crushed his own head with his foot

The one thing I like about the fatalities is that they don't take too long and they're very kinetic. In Wolfenstein TNO and Brutal Doom (especially Brutal Doom) a melee kill stops you dead in your tracks while you stand there slowly stabbing/ripping apart some dude. In Doom 4 I could see myself using it in a hectic situation and not losing my sense of momentum because they move so quickly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Clevermuldoon posted:

The one thing I like about the fatalities is that they don't take too long and they're very kinetic. In Wolfenstein TNO and Brutal Doom (especially Brutal Doom) a melee kill stops you dead in your tracks while you stand there slowly stabbing/ripping apart some dude. In Doom 4 I could see myself using it in a hectic situation and not losing my sense of momentum because they move so quickly.

It really does seem more 'rip and tear' than Brutal Doom. gently caress, I never bother with fatalities in BD, such a waste of time.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The creator of Brutal Doom makes his thoughts known on the weapons of Doom4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmS_cP1yUhw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

maev posted:

Man, "Why did they had to copy Doom 3's making GBS threads shotgun concept" indeed.

EDIT: For real, how can I get that 60fps framerate? Jesus, that looks nice. :swoon: Is there a setting in GZDoom that I'm overlooking?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

IronicDongz posted:

Hey, that's a funny way of saying Megaman 4 and 5 for the gameboy!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

maev posted:

I like how this retard is all upset that there's a limit as to how much content you can put in a map. Like, it's not just some arbitrary restriction they put in because they hate fun, it's a performance/hardware limitation. The Timesplitters map builders had those too and people still loved those because they were sick for a console game.

Which he may want to look into because Brutal Doom 20 runs like poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't like Brutal Doom for a bunch of aesthetic reasons mostly and Doom 4 ditches basically all of the parts I hate and keeps the parts that don't hurt Doom at all.

Play STRAFE instead and pretend its Doom 4.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Too bad Strafe looks like poo poo and not at all like what I want from an FPS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

Snapmap reminds me of the time I sketched out ideas for basically doombuilder but instead of applying textures you applied whole greeble set so it came out looking like a modern corridor shooter instead of a 20 year old corridor shooter. I'm glad some companies are actively experimenting with ways to make easy levelbuilding work. That's the real reason Doom still lives imo, you can learn to build playable maps in a day. It takes a lot longer to build *good* ones mind, but playable? Yep.

So... Timesplitters? :cheeky:

gently caress Timesplitters was so good and doesn't get enough love.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

So... Timesplitters? :cheeky:

gently caress Timesplitters was so good and doesn't get enough love.

There's this ongoing, Crytek-blessed fan remake. As with many fan remakes, who knows if it'll actually get done, but progress IS being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVViGz9ato

EDIT: And if it DOES come out, it'll be on PC! :toot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's this ongoing, Crytek-blessed fan remake. As with many fan remakes, who knows if it'll actually get done, but progress IS being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVViGz9ato

EDIT: And if it DOES come out, it'll be on PC! :toot:

Oh you bet your rear end I've been following Timesplitters Rewind for years :)

Every once in awhile their facebook page posts a render of duckman drake and I get all :stare:

Its starting to turn into Black Mesa at this point though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Black Mesa turned out to be okay, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Oh sure I love it, but at that rate I'll be like 40 by the time Timesplitters Rewind comes out. :corsair:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

It runs a lot better than previous versions for me. Only time I've really seen it drop frames is when explosions happen in water, generating swarms of those 3D ripple effects, huge clouds of steam particles and the cool water-dripping-down-walls stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I know, that's why I didn't say 'all'. I fully admit that fans can and have done some pretty awesome stuff. There are, however, MANY examples of stuff being started and then never finished.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

maev posted:

One of the more insufferable things I've watched lately. Why do I do this to myself.

Clevermuldoon posted:

All of the melee kills in Wolfenstein are fast as gently caress. It's usually just BJ stabbing a dude in the neck or head with the knife. The longer ones are almost completely contained to The Old Blood, where you'll rarely get a kill with the pipe that last for 2 seconds.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

RyokoTK posted:

I like how this retard is all upset that there's a limit as to how much content you can put in a map. Like, it's not just some arbitrary restriction they put in because they hate fun, it's a performance/hardware limitation. The Timesplitters map builders had those too and people still loved those because they were sick for a console game.

Don't id know that buckshot has a lethal range of 30 meters?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Demons from Hell have exactly the same skin and flesh as humans, don't you know.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

maev posted:

The creator of Brutal Doom is a pedophile who jacks off to pictures of dead bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

maev posted:

Don't id know that buckshot has a lethal range of 30 meters?

They did in the 90s.

Unfortunately they seem to have fired everybody at Id that has owned a gun ever and replaced them with people who have only played Halo.

loving killing me how lovely the shotgun is in the trailer.