Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just out of curiosity, do they work in browsers on non-apple platforms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

UIApplication posted:

No. I think there is a hack you can do with VLC to make it work on windows or Linux.

Also, switch to safari, it is really good in Yosemite.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

UIApplication posted:

No. At least not Chrome on Windows 8.1. That's my issue. My main computer is a Windows machine, so if I want to watch these videos I need to get out my Macbook :( (Wow, first world problems or what?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dirk Pitt posted:

Also, switch to safari, it is really good in Yosemite.

It's pretty decent, as long as you don't want WebM or developer tools worth the name.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Off topic but ditto the switch to safari on Yosemite, I don't even have flash installed. All the must have extensions are there (last pass, ublock etc) and its a major battery life improvement.*

*I still keep chrome installed for apps that have no flash, and Google maps performance is a bit sluggish in safari.

Kallikrates fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 15, 2015

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

status posted:

No. At least not Chrome on Windows 8.1. That's my issue. My main computer is a Windows machine, so if I want to watch these videos I need to get out my Macbook :( (Wow, first world problems or what?)
You can't even just download them?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Plorkyeran posted:

You can't even just download them?

Well, now I can. :downs:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kallikrates posted:

Off topic but ditto the switch to safari on Yosemite, I don't even have flash installed. All the must have extensions are there (last pass, ublock etc) and its a major battery life improvement.*

*I still keep chrome installed for apps that have no flash, and Google maps performance is a bit sluggish in safari.

I'll second (third? fourth?) this. After reading TheVerge's article on Chrome's impact on battery life and then getting the MacBook, I vowed to make the switch to Safari and haven't installed Flash. Chrome is always there for sites that do need flash video (BBC, small subset of podcasts), but Safari is suiting my needs really well and the few extensions I used all have an equivalent. The only thing I really miss is favicons on the bookmarks bar/tabs.

Also thanks for mentioning the Maps issue - it's really laggy on scrolling here, but I thought that was just me/the MacBook and hadn't tried it in Chrome to compare.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Ok, I have the most basic of basic iOS questions. I want to create a CYOA app, with a layout sort of like:

text

branch 1

branch 2

branch 3

MSPaint mockup:

I can get that working in storyboard, fine. I can get this working in the app and load from the database. But having the image, text, and branch 1 or branch 2 resize automatically to fit their content? Well, no. Not and scroll correctly.

I've been trying to make this work with autolayout constraints as much as possible, but I'm missing something apparently.

A few different approaches come to mind:

1) UIScrollView includes a UIImageView, UITextView, and UITableView. This worked well for a while, but ultimately stalled out.

2) UITableView includes 3 sections, with the first two having a UIImageView and a UITextView respectively. Second idea, which also stalled out.

3) I could do some sort of programmatic calculation and layout the items just inside a view rather than a UIScrollView, but then I have to get a scrolling solution.

What's the idiomatic solution to this using iOS 8 and auto-layouts? All the stackoverflow hits seem to have an absurd amount of code to what I would have thought would be a solved problem.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
UIStackView in iOS9?

Sigh. Maybe I should throw in the towel on autolayout and adopt it. Apple seems determined to make it useful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ulmont posted:

What's the idiomatic solution to this using iOS 8 and auto-layouts? All the stackoverflow hits seem to have an absurd amount of code to what I would have thought would be a solved problem.

Add a scroll view and pin its edges to the edges of its superview. Add a UIView as the scroll view's sole subview and pin its edges to the scroll view's edges, this will be your content view. Now add your contents – image view, multiline label, buttons – to the content view. Be sure to pin the topmost bit of content to the top of the content view and the bottommost bit of content to the bottom of the content view. Finally, pin the content view's leading and trailing constraints to your view controller view's leading and trailing to force the scroll view to fill the screen width.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Also, it doesn't seem like adding a table view to a scroll view is the best idea. Seems like one or the other would prevent the other from scrolling.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pokeyman posted:

Add a scroll view and pin its edges to the edges of its superview. Add a UIView as the scroll view's sole subview and pin its edges to the scroll view's edges, this will be your content view. Now add your contents – image view, multiline label, buttons – to the content view. Be sure to pin the topmost bit of content to the top of the content view and the bottommost bit of content to the bottom of the content view. Finally, pin the content view's leading and trailing constraints to your view controller view's leading and trailing to force the scroll view to fill the screen width.
That's what my original approach was. It works fine for the top image and the text view in the middle. It doesn't seem to work for the table view at the bottom.

Doc Block posted:

Also, it doesn't seem like adding a table view to a scroll view is the best idea. Seems like one or the other would prevent the other from scrolling.
The tableview was instructed not to scroll, yes; I was thinking of this as essentially the scroll view in charge of all scrolling options.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I'm curious why the approach of using a sectioned table view with the image view as section 0, the text view as section 1, and the remaining cells as section 2, stalled out? That seems like the right approach here if you want one contiguous scrolling region.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Sigh. Maybe I should throw in the towel on autolayout and adopt it. Apple seems determined to make it useful.

In Swift-land, Cartography was enough to get me to play with autolayout.

Prior to that, I was doing all frame-based layout, though. To a certain extent, they're both about defining the numerical relationships between things; in frame-based layout, you're doing the math yourself, whereas in autolayout you're telling the system what your relationships are and letting the system do the math for you. Frame-based is more performant, but more prone to manual errors, not to mention probably being harder to read; autolayout, especially with the new functions, gives you more clear definition of what you want at the cost of performance and ease of debugging.

Or you can use IB, though I'm still not convinced that it's a better way of doing layouts.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Flobbster posted:

I'm curious why the approach of using a sectioned table view with the image view as section 0, the text view as section 1, and the remaining cells as section 2, stalled out? That seems like the right approach here if you want one contiguous scrolling region.
The image and text areas are not automatically resizing in the sectioned table view model, and it is not obvious to me what constraints I could add which would make that automatic resizing happen.

If I'm going to have to trigger the resizing in code, that's easier with the scroll view model.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ulmont posted:

That's what my original approach was. It works fine for the top image and the text view in the middle. It doesn't seem to work for the table view at the bottom.

Ah, I missed that you had a table view at the bottom.

I think your options at this point are to either stick a height constraint on the table view and set it to the table's contentSize.height in code, or move everything to a table view and use the auto sizing table view cells new to iOS 8.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Axiem posted:

In Swift-land, Cartography was enough to get me to play with autolayout.
:eyepop:

Okay, that's pretty cool. Down the rabbit hole I go.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the? How does that even work? It looks cool.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
It's just extensions and proxy objects with judicious use of operator overloading. It's definitely the bee's knees though; I swear by it in a couple of my personal projects.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Wow, that might get me off of IB.

The layout(view1, view2, view3) { view1, view2, view3 in stuff is kind of gross though. I guess you could just use $1, $2, $3.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 17, 2015

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

You all better post trip reports. I don't see how much longer we can realistically avoid auto layout but I ain't going into IB.

Also I don't want to jinx it, but the Xcode 7 beta has been pretty stable over a few days of work.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It's been basically as stable as 6.3 for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lord funk posted:

You all better post trip reports. I don't see how much longer we can realistically avoid auto layout but I ain't going into IB.

If you're comfortable doing springs and struts/setFrame: sans-IB then I can't see auto layout giving you any trouble.

Third-party libraries and/or iOS 9 can make it even better, but it's not an order of magnitude difference.

In a related matter, Xcode 7 exposes constraint identifiers in IB so that'll make constraints a lot less write-only.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
You can create IBOutlets for constraints in IB and modify them... I really don't understand the IB/AutoLayout hate in this thread.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Meat Street posted:

You can create IBOutlets for constraints in IB and modify them... I really don't understand the IB/AutoLayout hate in this thread.

I used to be staunchly opposed to it until I started my new job 5 months ago. Then I started using it and it's p good.

Using IB and Autolayout is fantastic with storyboards and laying out simple content. Building out prototype cells in UITableViews and UICollectionViews is slick as hell AS LONG AS you aren't doing anything super complex in them. Once that happens and and we hit performance issues, then we start rolling into manual layout as it seems to be the way to go.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 18, 2015

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Meat Street posted:

A rocky start with buggy / un-resolvable constraint scenarios, poor performance, and having it shoved down our throats? I totally see the benefit of Autolayout, but a few false starts in trying to adopt it made me hate my life.

I think IB is fine, but I don't make the kind of apps where dropping in a few textfields and buttons is sufficient. At a certain point with more dynamic layouts it doubles the work to have to figure out where some layout action is being set.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
It's certainly not the best tool for the job in all cases, and I definitely lay out custom views manually beyond a certain threshold of complexity. I just don't think people are doing themselves any favors by ignoring IB entirely; I realize it had a rocky start when AutoLayout dropped but these days it's the right tool for most jobs.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I've found that purely adopting one thing over the other isn't the greatest approach. We do a mix of everything (storyboard/xib/autolayout/manual frame jiggling) where it makes sense and have a lot less headaches overall.

There are definitely cases to be made for everything and no one solution will cover all bases.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any word as to the behavior of the iPad multitask mode for apps that don't use 100% autolayout? I wonder if itll just check for autoresize masks at build time and set some ineligible flag, or if it'll have some scaling/compatibility mode like when you run iPhone apps on an iPad.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UIApplication posted:

Any word as to the behavior of the iPad multitask mode for apps that don't use 100% autolayout? I wonder if itll just check for autoresize masks at build time and set some ineligible flag, or if it'll have some scaling/compatibility mode like when you run iPhone apps on an iPad.

So long as you use your window/view bounds (instead of hard coding widths) and you implement the trait collection change callbacks, there's no reason you couldn't handle iPad split view perfectly without so much as a single constraint.

Autoresize masks are indeed translated into constraints when appropriate, but that's a completely separate and probably irrelevant matter.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

So long as you use your window/view bounds (instead of hard coding widths) and you implement the trait collection change callbacks, there's no reason you couldn't handle iPad split view perfectly without so much as a single constraint.

Autoresize masks are indeed translated into constraints when appropriate, but that's a completely separate and probably irrelevant matter.

It kind of struck me as a way for apple to force everyone to adopt AL. Like I said, they could easily give us some scaling solution, but it struck me as something they could realistically (given their track record) choose not to do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UIApplication posted:

It kind of struck me as a way for apple to force everyone to adopt AL. Like I said, they could easily give us some scaling solution, but it struck me as something they could realistically (given their track record) choose not to do.

I think the message is "adopt auto layout for best effect" but there is nothing in the implementation of these features that requires it or could somehow punish you for not using auto layout. So far as I can tell anyway.

Even new stuff like readableContentGuide is perfectly usable in code without auto layout.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scaling solution".

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "scaling solution".

Just render it as fullscreen portrait, rotate it, scale it down

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

UIApplication posted:

Our app at work is mostly fine in the split view and we don't use auto layout at all. We were also fine last year scaling to the 6/6+ sizes without any changes.

The only part we really break on is running in 1/3 screen space on the right, as our iPad layout just won't scale that small. I need to look into a way of switching to the iPhone layout without having to adopt the size classes introduced last year, but we have higher/less fun priorities right now :(

Has anyone else seen issues with UIAlertViews (without using UIAlertViewController) in the split layout? Ours show centered relative to the screen rather than our window, so at a 50/50 split the "OK" button is unreachable. Maybe we need to adopt the UIAlertViewController, but we're still supporting iOS 5 so I guess it would need to be conditional.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yay app release day!

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-performer/

TC-Performer. Free synth, universal, patch pack IAP.

bumnuts
Dec 10, 2004
mmm...crunchy

Froist posted:

Has anyone else seen issues with UIAlertViews (without using UIAlertViewController) in the split layout? Ours show centered relative to the screen rather than our window, so at a 50/50 split the "OK" button is unreachable. Maybe we need to adopt the UIAlertViewController, but we're still supporting iOS 5 so I guess it would need to be conditional.

I've seen this happen with system apps, so I assume it's just a bug that will be fixed.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Old style alertview presentation uses UIAlertViewController under the hood anyway.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Does Reachability behave differently when using a build in debug mode or something? I'm adding in connectivity loss in our application and testing it out with the network link conditioner or airplane mode and the reporting of whether I have connectivity barely ever works.

I listen in to the reachableBlock and unreachableBlock like I should, as well as check for connectivity if my request fails at all, but manually checking doesn't seem to report it properly. For example, I'll set the link conditioner to 100% packet loss, have a request fail and then check my status:

code:
_hasConnection = Reachability(hostName: "myapidomain").isReachable()
Which returns true :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Reachability is not remotely reliable in any way.