Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

sout posted:

Should someone make a Fallout Shelter thread? Enough people have asked if there was one.

I know a lot of people are playing. It's making $935k a day in the US already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Yeah and the point is you don't have a choice. Pillars of Eternity is an RPG about being a watcher.

In the same vein Fallout 4 might be an RPG about being a person with a family.

Why is one of these a bigger deal than the other?

I haven't played Pillars of Eternity, but perhaps it's because being a Watcher doesn't saddle your character with a number of predefined personal attachments that the story will try to force you to care about?

I mean, the protagonist of New Vegas is always a courier, but that says practically nothing about their personal identity.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I know a lot of people are playing. It's making $935k a day in the US already.

Imagine how much money they'd be making if they made the game playable on android as well!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well considering the average Android user's aversion to spending money on apps...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well considering the average Android user's aversion to spending money on apps...
You're very, very wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Yeah and the point is you don't have a choice. Pillars of Eternity is an RPG about being a watcher.

In the same vein Fallout 4 might be an RPG about being a person with a family.

Why is one of these a bigger deal than the other?

Because cishet or some poo poo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd actually enjoy that because Vivec is by far the funniest loving poo poo in the Elder Scrolls series and the last thing Bethesda games need is for them to take themselves seriously all the time.

And considering all of his crazier poo poo is written inside of notes and books I'm not sure you have to worry about it being taken as true fact other than the ramblings of a crazy man writing poo poo in notepads in bathroom stalls, what Kirkbride is likely doing in real life now

kirkbrides girlfriend or wife or something runs a tumbler thats the go to place for bizarre elder scrolls lore. she also posts doodles and rants by him and its passably interesting. i think its called the provisional house

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

khy posted:

I find it amusing that you think that a package (that isn't even yours to begin with) worth 250 caps is as much of a compelling reason to hunt a man down as 'he is your last surviving family and because of him you got kicked out of your childhood home and sanctuary so you have to track him down to find out why'

Fallout 3 vs New Vegas discussion always seems to attract magnificent badasses who don't consider being shot in the face to be a significant personal event.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Fallout 3 vs New Vegas discussion always seems to attract magnificent badasses who don't consider being shot in the face to be a significant personal event.

From the other side, they seem to attract a lot of clones of that goon who yelled at his dad on Internet radio or whatever :v:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You're very, very wrong.

Uh no he is not.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Not to mention that the package turns out to be extremely important, even if you don't know that at the beginning.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

2house2fly posted:

Shot in the head and left in a shallow grave, presumed dead.

That's why my preferred method for dealing with Benny is to just march straight into the Tops with a full arsenal and massacre everybody.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

In my next run, I shall point my gun at Benny, close my eyes and shoot him, then turn around and assume I killed him without checking.
Karma.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sout posted:

In my next run, I shall point my gun at Benny, close my eyes and shoot him, then turn around and assume I killed him without checking.
Karma.

My last run I sniped him with a silenced pistol. It didn't kill him but he aggro'd for a bit then decided it must just be his imagination. Then I did it again, killed him, snuck up to his body to get the chip, and left. Thanks Stealth!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I only played New Vegas when some roommates I had played it (which was mostly watching and driving here and there when they had to use their hands for something else), so I only really experienced the mountains of sidequests and never got to see evil Chandler Bing meet his end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

My last run I sniped him with a silenced pistol. It didn't kill him but he aggro'd for a bit then decided it must just be his imagination. Then I did it again, killed him, snuck up to his body to get the chip, and left. Thanks Stealth!

One time I ran straight to Vegas and ended up with some plasma grenades, I think from the Vipers in the village north of Goodsprings, and a Stealth Boy. I cloaked myself and threw grenades at Benny from across the room until he died, and then left. Felt good!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the Witcher 3 has a voiced protagonist and a pretty railroaded backstory and people loving love that poo poo to death (and it's a great game). not only that but you can only be a white male protagonist in the Witcher and it comes jam packed with emotional character attachments from the very beginning. At least F4 lets you customize.

Somehow I think F4 will do fine. If you want blank slate that's fine but I just don't understand why people assume Fallout = blank slate game. Yeah NV gave you pretty much nil for your backstory but it's the only Fallout like that.

I'm more concerned with unkillable NPCs. I much prefer "You have severed the threads of fate; reload or persist in this doomed world you have created." Not only that but secret backdoor ways to complete the main quest if you gently caress it all up and don't want to reload.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 17, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sout posted:

Karma.

Namaste.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That's what was nice about new vegas. So long as you didn't kill yes man, there was always an out.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There is a mod that adds some cut content that is just the ability to craft a bullet with Benny's name on the casing so you can shoot him with it. I think you craft it out of the slug the doc pulls from your head, too.

Volkerball posted:

That's what was nice about new vegas. So long as you didn't kill yes man, there was always an out.

You can't kill him anyway, he just takes over another SecuriTron. New Vegas and Morrowind were great examples.

I don't know why they can't just use a variable a side quest target so if an NPC dies the quest can just pick another comparable NPC to use. Instead of the whole Whiterun serial killer plot dependent on one specific NPC, just have him kill any random white Nord. There, now for 95% of side quests you can kill whoever and it isn't a problem. Kill the temple quest giver? Later there will be an unnamed priest NPC that can give it to you.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 17, 2015

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

the Witcher 3 has a voiced protagonist and a pretty railroaded backstory and people loving love that poo poo to death (and it's a great game). not only that but you can only be a white male protagonist in the Witcher and it comes jam packed with emotional character attachments from the very beginning. At least F4 lets you customize.

Maybe people would just like different games to do different things?

Moridin920 posted:

Somehow I think F4 will do fine. If you want blank slate that's fine but I just don't understand why people assume Fallout = blank slate game. Yeah NV gave you pretty much nil for your backstory but it's the only Fallout like that.

And it was also widely praised for offering lots of player choice. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Praetorian Mage posted:

Maybe people would just like different games to do different things?

And it was also widely praised for offering lots of player choice. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I just think it's funny that you are bemoaning Fallout doing something that is completely in line with previous Fallout games.

Do you really think F4 isn't going to have player choice? Making mountains out of molehills imo. You people make it sound like it is going to be an on rails shooter game with minecraft crafting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Moridin920 posted:

The Witcher and Fallout are two different series. The Witcher does its thing extremely well, while fallout underwent a huge change that soured fans of the early games. If it wasn't called Fallout you can be sure there'd be less debates.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I thought he was fairly charming throughout the conference.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I just think it's funny that you are bemoaning Fallout doing something that is completely in line with previous Fallout games.

Do you really think F4 isn't going to have player choice? Making mountains out of molehills imo. You people make it sound like it is going to be an on rails shooter game with minecraft crafting.

I'm just concerned that establishing so much about your character's background will lead to having less input on your character's personality.

Previous games did give you a backstory, but that had more to with where you came from than who you were. "Married middle-class veteran with a kid who lives in the suburbs of alternate-history 1950s" is a bit more specific and personal than "Guy who grew up in a Vault/comes from some Wasteland tribe/delivered packages for a living".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

The Witcher and Fallout are two different series. The Witcher does its thing extremely well, while fallout underwent a huge change that soured fans of the early games. If it wasn't called Fallout you can be sure there'd be less debates.

You mean soured NMA forums people.

I loved the first two Fallouts (1 more than 2) and 3 was excellent when it came out. NV came out and was even better and solved problems with F3 I didn't even realize it had until I was playing NV.

Being mad that F3 didn't preserve the 'tone' or whatever of the previous games is just silly considering F2 was 'let's jam as many pop culture references in as possible' and it was just as disjointed as F3. Being mad that an isometric RPG from almost 20 years ago now isn't still an isometric RPG is just kinda some purist bullshit sorry.

quote:

If it wasn't called Fallout you can be sure there'd be less debates.

Which is kind of my point, really. Get over it. Call it 'The Elder Scrolls: Future' in your head if you must. Rename the .exe and the folder. Who really gives a poo poo about all this 'no true Fallout :goonsay:' stuff?

The question is, is it a fun open world RPG game and that's something we can't answer until it comes out. Being super bitter about it OR being super hyped about it at this point is premature.

And btw almost no one who plays F1 or 2 now as a virgin to the games likes them very much unless they somehow never played those games but still loved Baldur's Gate etc. from back in the day. They just haven't aged well. So you basically want Bethesda to spend tens of millions developing a AAA game that will totally bomb with everyone except a small core audience that won't be happy regardless.

e: not directed at 'you' specifically just 'you' in general referring to mostly 'No Mutants Allowed' forums posters

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 17, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Praetorian Mage posted:

I'm just concerned that establishing so much about your character's background will lead to having less input on your character's personality.

Previous games did give you a backstory, but that had more to with where you came from than who you were. "Married middle-class veteran with a kid who lives in the suburbs of alternate-history 1950s" is a bit more specific and personal than "Guy who grew up in a Vault/comes from some Wasteland tribe/delivered packages for a living".

I mean, sort of. If you wake up and find that 200 years have passed and your family is dead, you can become any kind of person, really. It isn't a totally blank slate, but it isn't exactly railroading.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You're very, very wrong.

he really isn't

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Complaining about the family thing in fallout 4 is like complaining about hitler not working to preserve historic churches

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, sort of. If you wake up and find that 200 years have passed and your family is dead, you can become any kind of person, really. It isn't a totally blank slate, but it isn't exactly railroading.

As I've said before, I would be surprised if the family weren't a major factor in the plot. Otherwise, why bother establishing them? Following from that, not being interested in your family-man backstory will probably translate into having to choose dialogue options that make you sound like an rear end in a top hat, which would be a problem for someone wanting to play a good character who just didn't care for marriage or kids.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bicyclops posted:

So they just need to write the character as Fry and have him react the same way when he found out he was frozen for 1000 years.

Though I think most normal people would be a bit upset if they woke up only to discover that it was several centuries later and everyone you loved was long dead and the planet was in ruins. Over time you'd morph into a different person but when you're fresh out of the Vault you'd still be the same person you were when you were knocked out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Praetorian Mage posted:

As I've said before, I would be surprised if the family weren't a major factor in the plot. Otherwise, why bother establishing them? Following from that, not being interested in your family-man backstory will probably translate into having to choose dialogue options that make you sound like an rear end in a top hat, which would be a problem for someone wanting to play a good character who just didn't care for marriage or kids.

They will likely feature in the plot as a surprise toward the end of the game, when the PC has already established a new identity for himself, though. "A good character who just didn't care for marriage or kids" is a really specific thing to want to play, it's like saying "I wanted to play a hero who would never have agreed to be a mere delivery man."

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

he really isn't

As someone who doesn't play mobile games at all, why is that?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

"A good character who just didn't care for marriage or kids" is a really specific thing to want to play.

I don't really think so. Lots of people don't want to get married or have children, and not wanting those things doesn't make you a bad person.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
As long as Bethesda doesn't take a page out of Obsidian's book and make the world a maze of invisible walls, fallout 4 will be a good game. Skyrim allowed me to climb up the plot mountain by rubbing my face all over it. I drat well better be able to do the same in 4.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Who is the buffoon in the picture on Michael Kirkbride's page on the UESPWiki? What is he eating?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Praetorian Mage posted:

I don't really think so. Lots of people don't want to get married or have children, and not wanting those things doesn't make you a bad person.

I didn't say that it did make you a bad person.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So they just need to write the character as Fry and have him react the same way when he found out he was frozen for 1000 years.

Though I think most normal people would be a bit upset if they woke up only to discover that it was several centuries later and everyone you loved was long dead and the planet was in ruins. Over time you'd morph into a different person but when you're fresh out of the Vault you'd still be the same person you were when you were knocked out.

Right now, we know basically nothing about how the intro will play out. They specifically said they were cutting everything between the nuke dropping and coming out of the Vault (minus getting the Pip-Boy) for the E3 demo to avoid spoiling the story and we only saw a few minutes of the beginning of the sandbox, jumping around and skipping to what they wanted to show. It'll probably have a lot more exposition and explanation that we just haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Praetorian Mage posted:

What are you if not where you came from? Besides that poo poo was 200 years ago and everyone is dead dead dead you can do whatever you want. Maybe you were a gay man that married and had a kid because it was the 1950s and you didn't want to rock the boat and upset your parents? Who knows dude who knows.

And you're vaaastly oversimplifying F1,2,+3 by saying 'guy who grew up in a vault/from some wasteland tribe.' The entire purpose of the game was to help your family and vault buddies by finding a water chip. The entire purpose of the game was finding a GECK to help your tribe, who by the way include your mother and family. The entire point of F3 was to go find your dad and figure out what happened in your past, which by the way was a whole childhood sequence.

Pretending the PC had no connection to the vault or the tribe in 1 or 2 is really disingenuous. F4's backstory is no more specific than 1 or 2.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread