Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Anti-Hero posted:

I have the Ugly Baby next in my main quest queue - do I have to worry about finishing any side quests before that?

I would probably do any that involve main characters, but it's up to you. I think at most 1 or 2 can fail.

One that I know for sure:
Following the Thread with Lambert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
No.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
:siren: The game will warn you if you have to do any side quests before progressing. You literally cannot go forth in the game without acknowledging and agreeing to fail side quests. There is a point of no return and the game will let you know about it in an obnoxious way that you cannot miss.:siren:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cole posted:

:siren: The game will warn you if you have to do any side quests before progressing. You literally cannot go forth in the game without acknowledging and agreeing to fail side quests. There is a point of no return and the game will let you know about it in an obnoxious way that you cannot miss.:siren:

Eh that's not quite universally true. My advice is mostly to get over the neurosis over completing all the side quests. (I didn't follow my own advice...)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Eh that's not quite universally true.

the only thing i can think of when you'll otherwise fail a quest is if you're doing a quest and you just do it wrong. or you miss the midnight meetup times. with both of those that's like... four quests like that in the whole game that i've encountered so far.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
how about this tip then: if you're that concerned, just save before you do everything just in case. if you skip something, load up your saved game.

otherwise just play!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cole posted:

the only thing i can think of when you'll otherwise fail a quest is if you're doing a quest and you just do it wrong. or you miss the midnight meetup times. with both of those that's like... four quests like that in the whole game that i've encountered so far.
Ugly baby fails following the thread because lambert goes to Kaer Morhen
King's gambit fails "cave of dreams" which is a pretty cool quest I thought
Presumably "the last wish" fails after ugly baby? That's just a guess.
You can fail gangs of novigrad by not going to cleaver

...what can you miss by missing a midnight meetup time? I didn't find that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 17, 2015

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrossMurpel posted:

It's almost like the notice about quests relating to important characters failing after Isle of Mists wasn't just a joke by CDPR!

makes no sense though, roche and djikstra are both still alive sooo nothing should have changed

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You can fail the quest in Novigrad with Cleaver if you wind up going another route to find the person you're after. But that's to be expected since you're given two ways of approaching that goal from the outset.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is it possible to fail The Last Wish? I mean, Yen was all like "please meet me soon Geralt I mean it, there's not much time, don't gently caress around, MEET ME"
I just directly went to meet with her, never tried whether meditating would fail the quest.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Ugly baby fails following the thread because lambert goes to Kaer Morhen
King's gambit fails "cave of dreams" which is a pretty cool quest I thought
Presumably "the last wish" fails after ugly baby? That's just a guess.

...what can you miss by missing a midnight meetup time? I didn't find that.

i don't remember, i just remember doing something else and thinking i could go at any midnight time and ended up failing a quest. i didn't bother to go back because if it wasn't important enough for me to do the first time it just wasn't important.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cole posted:

:siren: The game will warn you if you have to do any side quests before progressing. You literally cannot go forth in the game without acknowledging and agreeing to fail side quests.:siren:

Also the point at which the main quest issues this warning is actually a huge cocktease, because it's nowhere near the end of the main sequence you have many hours and lot of poo poo left to do. There are multiple quests with titles like "Final Preparations" and "Battle Preparations" but there is always more and it is awesome

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

GrossMurpel posted:

Is it possible to fail The Last Wish? I mean, Yen was all like "please meet me soon Geralt I mean it, there's not much time, don't gently caress around, MEET ME"
I just directly went to meet with her, never tried whether meditating would fail the quest.

She just waits at the bar for you if you don't go there right away.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hymirvetr posted:

Sooo i feel like I turned sour on the Game..I'm 30ish hours in and I'm back in Novigrad after The Big Dumb Battle (tm) and apparently I need to regather allies for another big dumb battle? Why the faux climax and faux point of no return?

I felt the same way.

Having an epic moment followed by "now go do 5 separate quests for 5 separate people" just to get back on track is pretty lame game progression. It goes on and on and on after that, something as simple as "visit the emporer" is made terribly and unnecessarily difficult and there's a lot of points on the map you have to visit that are all out of place.

Game is solid up until that moment, stick with it, just take a break for a day or so

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

She just waits at the bar for you if you don't go there right away.

I know, it's just that she said she won't wait long.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
cave of dreams is my only failed quest, even though I completed it

oh well

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Feel pretty dumb right now, but I'm doing the Wolf school quest (first part) and I can't find the silver sword diagram in the ruined watchtower in Kaer Morhen. I already found the steel sword (enhanced) in the same place but the quest icon tells me I have to search the same place. Am I missing something really obvious or is it a bug?

e: I missed the wolf sign at the door... I swear this skeleton spawned only after looking at the sign. Or I really need new glasses.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 17, 2015

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I was bumming around Velen and met up with (Following the Thread spoiler)Lambert during a monster extermaination and got drawn into a whole questline of his own. Do the rest of the Witchers have their own questlines as well?

EDIT: Also, the Wolf armour looks great, shame that the DLC for PS4 takes a few days extra to drop compared to the PC version.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Feel pretty dumb right now, but I'm doing the Wolf school quest (first part) and I can't find the silver sword diagram in the ruined watchtower in Kaer Morhen. I already found the steel sword (enhanced) in the same place but the quest icon tells me I have to search the same place. Am I missing something really obvious or is it a bug?

e: I missed the wolf sign at the door... I swear this skeleton spawned only after looking at the sign. Or I really need new glasses.
why do you have the wolf school dlc already and i dont

gently caress you

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So it's 2 days shy of a month, but I guess I'll still spoiler it even though it's minor:

Radovid quest: the final part of the Kill Radovid plot is a level 30 quest and drat near impossible to miss. I worried about it myself until I finally ran across it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

^^ That image reminds me how great Gremist always looks when you ask him "Do you have herbs to sell?" and he replies "Yes, but it's expensive!" with the biggest grin on his smug face.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Madcosby posted:

I felt the same way.

Having an epic moment followed by "now go do 5 separate quests for 5 separate people" just to get back on track is pretty lame game progression. It goes on and on and on after that, something as simple as "visit the emporer" is made terribly and unnecessarily difficult and there's a lot of points on the map you have to visit that are all out of place.

Game is solid up until that moment, stick with it, just take a break for a day or so

I'll finish it cause I had a blast up to this point but I feel that it just too much content. Feels like one of those games. I played a bit farther and collected a few Sorceresses for Geralts collection but it feels kinda contrived after said big dumb battle. Happy about the end I got for Keira tho.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Hymirvetr posted:

I'll finish it cause I had a blast up to this point but I feel that it just too much content. Feels like one of those games. I played a bit farther and collected a few Sorceresses for Geralts collection but it feels kinda contrived after said big dumb battle. Happy about the end I got for Keira tho.

I killed her because gently caress biological warfare :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If she's gotta go, it's better you do it yourself.

I'd rather be burnt at the pyre than what happens to her if she goes see Radovid.

e: Skewered right up the middle, stake coming out of her mouth, not burned as an example.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Aishan posted:

So, with that new Wolf Gear, apparently one of the map locations is from the blacksmith in Kaer Muire, which presents an interesting problem in the late game: If either an Craite sibling is on the throne, then you have to slaughter everyone in this town as part of the Sunstone hunt. Guess we'll have to track down those bits manually.

They're releasing wolf school gear? When?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aurain posted:

If she's gotta go, it's better you do it yourself.

I'd rather be burnt at the pyre than what happens to her if she goes see Radovid.

e: Skewered right up the middle, stake coming out of her mouth, not burned as an example.
Thank you for posting this - I'm never going to play the game through enough times to let her go to see Radovid so its nice to know what would happen.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
This week's DLC pair with alternate Triss (very elven and floral, almost too fancy). Steam and PS4 are getting it late in comparison :haw:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They're releasing wolf school gear? When?

Yesterday.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Riso posted:

I just wanted a better version of what Geralt wears in the beginning because that looks really good.

This. I said this exact thing a few pages back. The new wolf set is pretty final fantasyish.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The wolf gear is basically a middle-of-the-road set, right? Some attack bonus, some adrenaline gain, some sign intensity, but nothing like stacking the other three sets?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Emron posted:

lol, she was researching the cure, genius

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

That is perhaps not the best idea.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Levantine posted:

Lol. Only so she could get pardoned, and Radovid would have weaponized those notes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Lol. Only so she could get pardoned, and Radovid would have weaponized those notes.

or you can convince her to go to Kaer Morhen with them to work in peace.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Levantine posted:

Like Radovid is totally not going to steal it and kill everyone everywhere within a week of finding out she has it, come on. Her motives aren't what matters, just the outcome of her actions, which is obvious as hell.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

lol, nope!

If you talk her into going to Kaer Morhen she makes the cure no matter what, even if you let her keep the notes

EDIT:

Emron posted:

Like Radovid is totally not going to steal it and kill everyone everywhere within a week of finding out she has it, come on. Her motives aren't what matters, just the outcome of her actions, which is obvious as hell.

if you play like even a partially rational person Radovid is loving dead

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aurain posted:

or you can convince her to go to Kaer Morhen with them to work in peace.
I did this and I was sad that when I got to Kaer Morhen she wasnt there hanging out with my Witcher Bros :( edit: I'm sure Lambert would have loved it, too. I am about to go fetch Ciri though so I am hoping Keira is around for The Battle.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I'm reading the books and gently caress sorceresses/sorcerers. They're all insane.

Radovid did nothing wrong

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

That's why you send her to Kaer Morhen. Don't let her go to Radovid, that's obviously dumb because Radovid is obviously completely nuts. If you send her to Kaer Morhen, she gets to do what she actually wants to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I found it a bit cute that Keira eventually ends up with Lambert after the story.