Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Giggle Goose posted:

It would be awesome to play an MP game of EUIV, but honestly, I don't know how I would break myself of slapping the spacebar every time I had a popup. I'd have to disable the thing or something.

I should have mentioned that sometimes pauses are arranged to sort out the peace deals from massive alliance wars. Don't forget that popups actually take several months before the game resolves them for you! There's no actual rush to click things.

e: oops, new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah they usually run on 2 speed, very rarely 3 because the game slows it down a little when people lag. At 2 speed a month is like uhh 3 or 4 minutes? And you have 2 months from the day of the popup to resolve it before it automatically goes through. Nobody in the history of ever is going to be thinking about a pop up for longer than that. Also, don't forget that for events like rebels or OE events, it's better to just leave the popup till it expires. You can't get a second OE event while you already have the popup for one :troll:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't imagine playing the game at anything other than full speed or the 2nd highest speed. Full speed for normal play, 2nd highest speed for war.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Baronjutter posted:

I can't imagine playing the game at anything other than full speed or the 2nd highest speed. Full speed for normal play, 2nd highest speed for war.

Bring a book. This is not a joke.

Also there's usually a lot of diplomacy going on, so there's stuff to fill your time. We also use Mumble so we can ruin each others' days with bad jokes and inappropriate references to the Crimean debacle (also, in the game).

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I got sight on Asia in my Milan game around 1640 and now I kind of wish there was a replay mode to explain how some of this poo poo happened :china:

Aside from the whole China situation, Hindustan is Shia and still doesn't contain a single actual Shia province, Scandinavia has continued eating Russia and looks set to colonize to the Pacific and the HRE has Catholicism as the dominant religion thanks to the League war never starting. Which is kind of awkward, seeing how the single Elector of Salzburg and perpetual Emperor Austria are literally the only catholic member states.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mygna posted:

Hindustan is Shia and still doesn't contain a single actual Shia province,

Probably Bahmanis, who start shia and relatively powerful. And have no shia provinces.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Has anyone done the "Better than Napoleon" achievement? I am kinda wondering how you get 100 provinces that fast, and how you even get points to core that poo poo.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You mean big blue blob. I think you gotta pray for lots of PU luck. Like Burgundy inheritance firing off and then inheriting all of austia from PU.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mygna posted:

I got sight on Asia in my Milan game around 1640 and now I kind of wish there was a replay mode to explain how some of this poo poo happened :china:

Aside from the whole China situation, Hindustan is Shia and still doesn't contain a single actual Shia province, Scandinavia has continued eating Russia and looks set to colonize to the Pacific and the HRE has Catholicism as the dominant religion thanks to the League war never starting. Which is kind of awkward, seeing how the single Elector of Salzburg and perpetual Emperor Austria are literally the only catholic member states.

Greece has formed on Cyprus due to rebels in every single game I've played so far since last patch.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I'm having the worst luck lately, and none of it can be blamed on the game itself.

First, started a fairly successful ironman Poland game, got about 150 years in, had the PU stable, good alliances, making good progress against my rivals... misclicked on load, didn't read warning, and deleted the save.

That sucked, whatever. Start an ironman Milan game, trying to form Italy. Going great, good alliances, Austria neutered, good vassals and three provinces to take from the Papal States before I can hit the button. Save and close the game. Next day, game won't start. Don't read the forums with the solution. Reinstall EUIV. Load the game. Forget to hit the Ironman button before hitting Play. Don't notice til later when I am saving.

Try out a Free City game with Nurnberg. Misplay and get surrounded by the Palatinate, spend the rest of the game with no army punching up development to get the 60 Development achivement.

I think it's time to try something completely overpowered.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Greece has formed on Cyprus due to rebels in every single game I've played so far since last patch.

Yeah, I've also noticed it never seems to ever spawn on mainland Greece either. Its pretty funny actually, because I'm pretty sure they added the Pontic culture just to combat it always spawning in Crimea before. The Ottomans are just too strong for a revolt there to ever work, while all the islands ruled by non-greek nations are too weak to not get their face smashed in by Greek Separatists. The only way I can see it happening is if the Ottomans get their face smashed in by a player and the rebels enforce demands before the Ottomans can rebuild their armies.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it possible for a conquistador to actually find the Seven Cities or is it just a cocktease?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Is it possible for a conquistador to actually find the Seven Cities or is it just a cocktease?

You can find all kinds of cool stuff. The fountain of youth, the seven cities, etc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

I've only ever gotten random events that give me little insignificant bonuses (0.25 Prestige monthly or yearly or something); I've never found an actual City Of Gold or anything, I dont think.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

When did Paradox finally respond to this pet issue of mine? (That being Sarai was basically just a typical steppe shitprovince in previous patches)
Military should still be a bit higher but wtv. Also looks like a few more of the steppe cities got covered too, even if they might not actually exist at game start.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sarai stopped being 1 BT craphole in Art of War, I think.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem super common but you can get a permanent nation modifier that's +0.5 Prestige/year or something for finding El Dorado, plus a pile of cash. I'll double check the event files in a bit.

Winning the HYW as England is super easy right now, you'll get coalition warred almost immediately because enforcing the PU generates something silly like 65 AE, but that's ok just release a couple of French-region nations and peace out. France will keep their cores on them so you can get them back easily. France also doesn't seem too rebellious, surprisingly.

Hungary somehow got really scary. They have more development starting out than Austria, pretty good trade goods and lots of farmland and plains provinces surrounded by the Carpathians and other defensible terrain. I might have to try out the Hungary achievement for owning Austria, shouldn't be too hard to take Vienna and get a free Westernization in the process. Hungary has pretty decent NIs, too.

Edit: there are a boatload of modifiers you can get for finding any of the Seven Cities, though seem pretty rare. Yearly prestige, base tax income, trade power.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 17, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Winning the HYW as England is super easy right now, you'll get coalition warred almost immediately because enforcing the PU generates something silly like 65 AE, but that's ok just release a couple of French-region nations and peace out. France will keep their cores on them so you can get them back easily. France also doesn't seem too rebellious, surprisingly.
This surprises me that Paradox would make England that powerful - everything I have read on the subject told me that England was pretty poor and after they lost their continental holdings often had the whole "we can only afford the men and money for an Army or a Navy; not both" thing going on for a long while. They often on won wars against France because the French were honourable idiots that would straight up let the English set up their longbows on a hill in a swamp before a battle, not because they had more/better men. They maintained control of so much French land because the French crown was so weak in the 1300-1450 (rough numbers) date range and could not get their poo poo together to kick the usually weak English out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem super common but you can get a permanent nation modifier that's +0.5 Prestige/year or something for finding El Dorado, plus a pile of cash. I'll double check the event files in a bit.

Hungary somehow got really scary. They have more development starting out than Austria, pretty good trade goods and lots of farmland and plains provinces surrounded by the Carpathians and other defensible terrain. I might have to try out the Hungary achievement for owning Austria, shouldn't be too hard to take Vienna and get a free Westernization in the process. Hungary has pretty decent NIs, too.

Edit: there are a boatload of modifiers you can get for finding any of the Seven Cities, though seem pretty rare. Yearly prestige, base tax income, trade power.

I've done Hungary games in the past and the Ottomans are your main threat. I usually started out going to war almost immediately and trying to force them to release some vassals so they never get a start on blobbing up.

e: granted alot has changed since then. Not sure how possible/necessary that tactic is now.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 17, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
neat

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a point in letting natives live when you colonize? The minuscule bonus to development doesn't seem worth it at all. From what I've gathered, if you're western the overseas penalty makes it pointless to waste any points and if you're playing in, say, Asia your lovely tech group makes development too expensive anyway?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Poil posted:

Is there a point in letting natives live when you colonize? The minuscule bonus to development doesn't seem worth it at all. From what I've gathered, if you're western the overseas penalty makes it pointless to waste any points and if you're playing in, say, Asia your lovely tech group makes development too expensive anyway?

Yeah natives are worthless now.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

not being a monster basically.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I'm seeing some pretty successful Coptics in my game, too.

A decade or so earlier they had conquered all but two or three provinces of Egypt AND had conquered and converted a good portion of the Holy Land, but since then they've been beaten back a bit. Also note Armenia up there.

I love when historical underdogs do well.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 17, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mans posted:

not being a monster basically.
Meh. I'm already stomping in and killing thousands upon thousands of people whenever I conquer some place. :shrug:

I found an easy way to split Ming. Started as Ming, did a no-CB war against Ceylon, tag switched to Ceylon and sent a peace offer where Ming releases everything (had to add a few thousand diplopoints), switch back to Ming and then just switch to the proper kingdom. All before unpausing. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 17, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

I explored the entirety of South and North America with conquistadors (took me most of a century) and I found 1 of the 7 cities. Gives me 10 gold and 0.5 prestige per year. Not worth the bother in itself, but I got loads of events all along which were mostly positive. Bunch of free admin/military points usually.

I'm not sure I would bother doing it again though, because the popups were very annoying. Constant battles because the conquistador is always moving through native lands. Is there any way to disable the "our army is under attack" and "you won a battle" popups only for natives, without turning them off for real battles? I always win, so it's just pointless spam.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The conquistador got sick, again, cough up a few hundred bucks for medicine or lose admin points. :argh:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh wow you can actually get permanent modifiers? I've explored the entirety of north and south america like 3 times since that patch and never got one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I thought the point of "search for the seven cities" was the auto-exploration, and in that it succeeds magnificently. I haven't actually played a colonising power since El Dorado came out and automated exploration is loving aces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

The conquistador got sick, again, cough up a few hundred bucks for medicine or lose admin points. :argh:
My Conquistador died, but thankfully he trained up Estevancio before he did! I find it impressive that Estevancio met another boy named Estevancio. Especially because the Estevancio that just died had been taken in and trained up by an Estevancio!

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bort Bortles posted:

My Conquistador died, but thankfully he trained up Estevancio before he did! I find it impressive that Estevancio met another boy named Estevancio. Especially because the Estevancio that just died had been taken in and trained up by an Estevancio!

Well, no native would surrender to the Conquistador Wesley.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bort Bortles posted:

Well clearly, Estevancio is a title, not a name

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

It's just a shame that Estevancio is such a useless drunkard that always gets lost.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Well I rushed exploration and hired me an explorer, sent him on a couple of missions... now what? I have reached greenland and the canaries, but the only exp mission available is to circumnav the world and i cant do that til dip 9. do I have to claim iceland as a base to sail further?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mugsbaloney posted:

Well I rushed exploration and hired me an explorer, sent him on a couple of missions... now what? I have reached greenland and the canaries, but the only exp mission available is to circumnav the world and i cant do that til dip 9. do I have to claim iceland as a base to sail further?

You can only send ships on exploration missions based on their range. You either need to get your diplo tech up or establish bases.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Koramei posted:

Oh wow you can actually get permanent modifiers? I've explored the entirety of north and south america like 3 times since that patch and never got one.

Yes, but it's rare.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant decide who to play as now that I have time to play the game with Common Sense :sigh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think I'd prefer if natives gave a random development for every 1000 (rounded up?). I'd make them more like they used to be, since if you are leaving them alive (just stripping away their faith, their culture, their way of living and so on) you are integrating them into your glorious realm and that should be reflected somehow. As it is it's kinda implying that you're working them to death over the period of time you get the development cost reduction.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah there's up to 7 permanent prestige modifiers IIRC. Or if they aren't permanent they just last like 200 years. Basically the fountain of youth has an event where your like 'dang, its not real. now lets bottle it up and sell it to suckers!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm going to try Poland and go for the three achievements. Winged Hussars, Poland Can Into Space, and One King to Rule. What idea groups, and in what order, would be optimal? I know Aristocracy will make a rare appearance at some point since it has +cavalry combat and a diplomat (which I might need now) as well as the military tech discount. There is also Administrative for its usual core creation discount and administrative tech discount - same goes for Diplomatic. And I think I would either need Religious or Humanist once I form the Commonwealth and have a bunch of cultures and Orthodox provinces. Humanist sounds preferable over Religious, since it gets idea cost discounts, and Catholics get a bunch of policies that give them missionary strength anyway.

Anyone have any advice on idea order?

Node fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread