Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm new to the iPhone. What's the current state of saving texts (or iMessages if possible)? I currently have Hangouts installed and use it and my Google Voice account for one unified texting experience with my iPhone and Android tablet, but I'm getting tired of no ability to share links etc with Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
That question is asked once every couple pages in this thread but I think the consensus is Apple's device continuity with PC sucks, and saving texts is very clunky. There's some way to do it if you have a Mac though.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Michael Scott posted:

That question is asked once every couple pages in this thread but I think the consensus is Apple's device continuity with PC sucks, and saving texts is very clunky. There's some way to do it if you have a Mac though.

More than sucks. It doesn't exist. Best you can do is use something like push bullet for some janky workarounds

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah, iMessage has a checkbox to save everything. The files end up in ~/Library/Messages/Archive.

They aren't plain text but at least they're there.

Really wish Apple would make an iMessage client for Windows.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tuyop posted:

Super cool that they're so transparent about this, but if you're using MFA how does this matter? I could tell people my password and it wouldn't be useful to them at all unless I also told them my phone lock code and gave them the phone, right?

Pretty much you'd be fine but not everyone uses MFA. Still, changing your password when there's a breach is a good practice to get into anyway even if you do have MFA.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Yeah, iMessage has a checkbox to save everything. The files end up in ~/Library/Messages/Archive.

They aren't plain text but at least they're there.

Really wish Apple would make an iMessage client for Windows.
Or better yet, a web client on iCloud.com

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way to have iTunes reduce file size/quality when syncing music to your phone? I really thought I remembered an option like that, but now I can't find it. I'm gonna need this soon since I'll be re-ripping everything as lossless, and my phone space is dire as it is.

I'm looking into dbPoweramp, which would let me rip ALAC and AAC versions of each CD simultaneously. So the actual effort wouldn't be too bad. But I really don't want to maintain a bunch of doubles in my library if I can avoid it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, you can limit bitrate for stuff copied to an iPhone. They love to move it around between versions so I can't recall where it is, either in the preferences menu under 'devices' or in the overview screen when you plug the device in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

There's nothing I would love more than someone breaching my iCloud account and having access to 6 years worth of private communications.

There's poo poo I won't put in email that are in iMessage because it's better encrypted than most stuff.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Question Mark Mound posted:

That would be nice, but I don't think they want iMessage to be cross-platform.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I think that's a huge difference between Apple and Google. Google is clearly in it for making money, but at the same time expends effort to expand their technology even for use on competitors' devices for the good of users. Apple will actively avoid it if it means more $.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I think that's a huge difference between Apple and Google. Google is clearly in it for making money, but at the same time expends effort to expand their technology even for use on competitors' devices for the good of users. Apple will actively avoid it if it means more $.
No, Google expands their technology for use on competitors' devices because their entire business model depends on having more users using as many of their services as possible. Apple's business model depends on selling devices.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Endless Mike posted:

No, Google expands their technology for use on competitors' devices because their entire business model depends on having more users using as many of their services as possible. Apple's business model depends on selling devices.

Their entire business model is annoying ads, let's not lie. :v:

And Apple are trying to make iAds the only acceptable ones on iOS, which will be fun. :popcorn:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just wanted to say, i didn't zip up my chest pocket on my north face jacket and my iPhone (6+) fell almost 6 feet onto a concrete floor at Trader Joe's. It made a loud, sickeningly awful slap sound. When I picked it up, it was totally fine thanks to the Apple Leather case.

Lucky fall angle? Probably. Still, I'm impressed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The leather case has saved my 5S more times than I'd like to remember.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TinTower posted:

The leather case has saved my 5S more times than I'd like to remember.

Really? I love the case, I'm also not clumsy, but I've never dropped it so I'm curious how it saved your phone. It doesn't seem anywhere near as protective as, say an Otterbox (which saved my work iPhone, but I'm more clumsy with that cause its not mine and its a 5C. Hurr. :downs:)

The only scratch on my iPhone is from throwing a flathead screwdriver in the same pants pocket as my phone. Dumb. :sigh:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Snuffman posted:

Really? I love the case, I'm also not clumsy, but I've never dropped it so I'm curious how it saved your phone. It doesn't seem anywhere near as protective as, say an Otterbox (which saved my work iPhone, but I'm more clumsy with that cause its not mine and its a 5C. Hurr. :downs:)

The only scratch on my iPhone is from throwing a flathead screwdriver in the same pants pocket as my phone. Dumb. :sigh:

The screen is slightly recessed into the 5S case, which helps protect cracks from landing face-down. The leather also cushions it very slightly from landing on its corner.

The case itself is a little bruised, but the iPhone inside it is pristine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My iPhone flew out of my pocket onto the asphalt while I was running yesterday. It just left a little nick in my case.

I used to run with my iPhone 4 and an event just like that was the end of it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

Is there a way to have iTunes reduce file size/quality when syncing music to your phone? I really thought I remembered an option like that, but now I can't find it. I'm gonna need this soon since I'll be re-ripping everything as lossless, and my phone space is dire as it is.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I put a dBrand Skin on my phone yesterday and I'm surprised, it actually protects it. I won it for free in a contest and wasn't expecting much but I dropped my phone face-down onto concrete earlier and it was fine.

That being said, I'll probably end up putting it in case again eventually since the 6+ is actually really terrible without one. I keep feeling like my phone is going to slip out of my hands, even with the skin.

robodex fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

robodex posted:

the 6+ is actually really terrible

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Don't be jelly.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Sorry you have little girl hands

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

xzzy posted:

Yes, you can limit bitrate for stuff copied to an iPhone. They love to move it around between versions so I can't recall where it is, either in the preferences menu under 'devices' or in the overview screen when you plug the device in.
Brilliant, guys. Thanks! :cool:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I actually plan on getting the 6S+ just because the 6+ has more screen real estate for fuckery.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FCKGW posted:

There's nothing I would love more than someone breaching my iCloud account and having access to 6 years worth of private communications.

There's poo poo I won't put in email that are in iMessage because it's better encrypted than most stuff.
If someone breaches your iCloud account, what's to stop them restoring an iCloud backup of your phone onto a device and getting all your messages that way?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Podcasts suddenly won't download anymore on a 6, it's only preparing to download. This is the stock app. Is there a good solution? Google tells me it's a common problem, but I can't seem to find a fix.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Podcasts suddenly won't download anymore on a 6, it's only preparing to download. This is the stock app. Is there a good solution? Google tells me it's a common problem, but I can't seem to find a fix.

You're using the wrong weather app. You should try Dashlane.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

wrong

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

I had that happen to me and just restarted my phone. They downloaded after that.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I'm stuck on wifi calling at my residence. A little google-fu popped up that basically the only way to keep the iphone connected to my home network (and not disconnect when the screen powers off) for wifi calling is to keep it plugged in and charging. It also turned up two apps that keep it connected, but those seem like I have to mess with jailbreak to get working. Is there anything at all I can download to keep it connected to home wifi? Because otherwise using wifi calling might as well be a landline

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Get a femtocell and thank yourself later.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get a femtocell and thank yourself later.

Not an option, there isn't even one bar due to geography. Once I'm in town I get 4glte, but there's no signal to boost in the home. I really just want some sort of way to keep wifi going while screen is off and not plugged if it's possible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Not an option, there isn't even one bar due to geography. Once I'm in town I get 4glte, but there's no signal to boost in the home. I really just want some sort of way to keep wifi going while screen is off and not plugged if it's possible.

poo poo I meant a microcell. Something like this: http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah a microcell is your best option. Sometimes you can get them to give you one or give you a decent discount on one but it just depends on which CS rep you are talking to.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah a microcell is your best option. Sometimes you can get them to give you one or give you a decent discount on one but it just depends on which CS rep you are talking to.

I had to make several calls and escalate to manager but they finally sent me one gratis. It's a lifesaver and definitely worth the hassle of calling a few times if your provider offers them.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Michael Scott posted:

Money is the motivating factor for Google just as much as it is for Apple. The difference is that Apple sells hardware and it's in their best interest to keep certain things exclusive to their platform in order to sell more hardware. Google wants data for their ads, so it's in their best interest to offer their services to users across all platforms so they can gather as much data as possible.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Just complain enough and they'll give you a microcell for free. My mom got one for her house and one for my grandpa's house.

Something something I've been an AT&T customer for 20 years and the product doesn't work at my new house.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A few years ago, ATT just sent me a microcell for free out of the blue. They told me I was apparently in the worst 8% coverage area at the time, even though I never had any issues making calls at my house. They have since upgraded the network in the area, so the microcell has been sitting in a closet for several months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I dropped and cracked the hell out of my phone just now. I do have AppleCare+ on it so I'm not worried about getting a replacement but do I need to go through the whole genius appointment to get one? Apparently there isn't an opening until Monday and I kinda need a phone this weekend.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll try my luck and just go.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 19, 2015