Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bpower
Feb 19, 2011

spacing in vienna posted:

You can't just "notwithstanding" Matthew 6:6. The whole point of it, and 6:5 before, is that people who pray openly and make a big show of their faith are not doing it out of piety, but rather to be seen and congratulated, and those people have already received their reward (e.g. the opinion of other people). Jesus insists that faith be a private, personal thing, not one that you use so that other people look at you and are impressed by how much praying you do.

People who display their faith so that other people can applaud them for it are literally called hypocrites. There is a distinction made between living your faith - believing, helping people, standing for what is right even when it's hard - and showboating.

Jesus talked about his faith, not to earn him points in a political campaign, not to impress his neighbors with how pious he was, but to spread the Good Word. I'm not sure how this distinction is eluding you.

I totally agree of course, but my outlandish public displays of piety are meant to glorify God and set a good example to others.I would never display my faith for the applause of others. What an awful thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
have a poll

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/06/walker-bush-rubio-lead-gop-field-clinton-still-dominant.html

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The press is dead. Full out dead.

Soon enough all news will just be delivered in gifs and meme pictures.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

site posted:

Don't forget image files containing nothing but text with jpeg artifacts.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
senator cruz! senator cruz! how fire is your mixtape, senator?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

site posted:

It will be true for many. I see many people sharing memes and gifs as means of "informIng others." They literally believe that a meme can explain a extremely complex situation completely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

site posted:

I look forward to the far future crazy alt history that links cat memes, obelisks in the US, and the ancient Egyptians. Could we be a colony of Egypt?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Bernie Sanders may be gaining momentum in recent New Hampshire polling but Hillary Clinton is more dominant than ever in the national polling. She's at 65% to 9% for Bernie Sanders, 5% for Martin O'Malley, and 4% each for Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb. Sanders is the most common second choice of Democratic voters at 19% and O'Malley has broken away from Chafee and Webb to become the clear third choice of primary voters at 12%. Overall Clinton is the first or second choice of 73% of Democrats to 28% for Sanders, 17% for O'Malley, 8% for Chafee, and 7% for Webb.

Clinton continues to be dominant nationally with every segment of the Democratic electorate- she's over 60% with liberals, moderates, women, men, Hispanics, whites, and voters in every age group and she's polling at 83% with African Americans. The lack of racial diversity in New Hampshire is one reason Sanders is coming closer to her there given her dominance with black voters nationally.

Lincoln Chafee has had a 300% increase in support in just one month. At this rate, if we assume exponential growth, he is going to end up with Saddam Hussein-level support by the time Iowa rolls around.

Choo! Choo! All aboard the Chafee train! :bandwagon:

Edit: Also, I want to see that last paragraph ignite another discussion about whether black people can be trusted to vote correctly or not.

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

Bush spent the last weeks of the campaign arguing that Clinton can't be trusted to be President because he had gone on a student trip to Moscow in the late 1960s and very well could be a KGB sleeper agent. He made this accusation the centerpiece of his campaign speeches. Reminder: 1992 was three years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and a year after the dissolution of the USSR.

I hadn't heard of this so I looked it up:
http://www.aim.org/media-monitor/bill-clintons-soviet-connection/

some dummy posted:

Denver Post columnist Ed Quillen wrote, “Bush hints that when Bill Clinton visited the Soviet Union on a student tour, Clinton may have met with KGB officers. Bush implies that something sinister was arranged. What was it?? The KGB sent a brainwashed Bill Clinton back to become governor of Arkansas.” Quillen said that was “preposterous.”

It may not be so outlandish.

Also scope out the date of publication...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

I have no idea who commissions these national polls, given that there is no national primary. It doesn't matter how well you would do in the Wyoming primary if you get knocked out by South Carolina

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PepeSilvia posted:

I hadn't heard of this so I looked it up:
http://www.aim.org/media-monitor/bill-clintons-soviet-connection/

Also scope out the date of publication...

The Red Scare was just the worst loving thing to happen to our politics. I hear he once drank some Vodka, how can you trust him when he could so easily be a Russian agent?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
John Kaisch is in Manchester NH today. As of 10 minutes ago he was in a local bar heavily frequented by bikers. In an attempt to mingle with the common man, he decided to share with them his favorite band.

Linkin Park.

https://twitter.com/katie_glueck/status/611257485995995136

This cycle is gonna own.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

John Kaisch is in Manchester NH today. As of 10 minutes ago he was in a local bar heavily frequented by bikers. In an attempt to mingle with the common man, he decided to share with them his favorite band.

Linkin Park.

This cycle is gonna own.

Kaisch may be the first human being to get negative polling numbers.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edit: Also, I want to see that last paragraph ignite another discussion about whether black people can be trusted to vote correctly or not.

Of course they (in aggregate) can't be trusted to vote correctly. Just like white people can't be. Politically, people are really dumb animals, and most individuals deserve to be approached under the assumption that they are borderline retarded until they prove otherwise. I see no reason to discriminate against black people on that matter.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Why again is Walker popular? Is it because the people being polled are more familiar with his resume than the man himself?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Why again is Walker popular? Is it because the people being polled are more familiar with his resume than the man himself?

He fought the unions and won and that's just like fighting ISIS.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

He broke the evil unions in Wisconsin, survived a recall election in a (presidential year) blue state, checks all the right(wing) boxes on social issues. On paper, he's a perfect GOP candidate and he has a ton of money behind him. Plus he doesn't come off quite as stupid on video as in pictures. It's really easy to imagine him grilling burgers in some suburb bitching about taxes with all of his Real American neighbors.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Linkin Park.

This cycle is gonna own.

He tried so hard, and got not so far.

And in the end it doesn't even matter because he's consistently outpolled by Donald Trump.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Short answer, yes. Quinnipiac released another poll today of swing state voters. In Florida Walker was +2 with 53% name recognition, Ohio he was -1 with 43% recognition, PA he was +14 with 50%. Half the people they polled hadn't even heard of him.

At this stage in the polling, most of what gets measured is name recognition. Selection bias distorts everything else. For instance, Ben Carson was showing a large net favorability in early polling; this is because Fox viewers liked him a lot, but only Fox viewers had heard of him. When people who don't watch Fox started learning about him, his net favorability sunk like a stone.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Everything people have mentioned plus his whole shtick is that he's Reagan 2.0, a common sense middle class suburbanite just like you who can keep the subhuman urban ferals in check and deliver iceburns to the stupid egghead liberals

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

Linkin Park.

This cycle is gonna own.

Linkin Park? I stopped listening to them after I grew out of my emo teenage phase.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

um lmao Trump's favorability

Very liberal Somewhat liberal Moderate Somewhat conservative Very conservative
Favorable 49% 26% 14% 41% 49%

Why the gently caress is Trump so popular with Very Liberal. I've never seen a candidate who's more popular at both extremes than in the middle

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Why the gently caress is Trump so popular with Very Liberal. I've never seen a candidate who's more popular at both extremes than in the middle

They really really want him to be the Republican nominee?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Why the gently caress is Trump so popular with Very Liberal.

It's those loving accelerationists.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

He broke the evil unions in Wisconsin, survived a recall election in a (presidential year) blue state, checks all the right(wing) boxes on social issues. On paper, he's a perfect GOP candidate and he has a ton of money behind him. Plus he doesn't come off quite as stupid on video as in pictures. It's really easy to imagine him grilling burgers in some suburb bitching about taxes with all of his Real American neighbors.

You could ask why is not more popular. Answer: super goofy looking and zero charisma.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

It's those loving accelerationists.

Those results are only for Republicans who self-identify as being "Very Liberal". In other words, RINOs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Why the gently caress is Trump so popular with Very Liberal.

We like a good laugh as much as anyone!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

FMguru posted:

In 1992 the Clinton campaign hired a guy to wear a chicken suit and appear at Bush rallies to ridicule Bush about being too "chicken" to debate Clinton. Once they figured out who he was, he was banned from future rallies, but snuck into at least one additional rally by claiming to be there as a representative/mascot of the local poultry industry to show their support for Bush.

Bush spent the last weeks of the campaign arguing that Clinton can't be trusted to be President because he had gone on a student trip to Moscow in the late 1960s and very well could be a KGB sleeper agent. He made this accusation the centerpiece of his campaign speeches. Reminder: 1992 was three years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and a year after the dissolution of the USSR.

This democracy has been run 'for the lulz' for a very long time.

Little bit of a difference between hiring a guy to wear a chicken suit, and the guy wearing the chicken suit being one of the candidates. Both of which happened in the era of public primary campaigns, so if anything it supports my point.

(Also, David Wu in Oregon with his tiger suit...)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what a blessed day that was

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

At this point Forums Poster Josh Lyman could probably pretend to be a political whatsit with a resume consisting of episodes of the TV show and become Trump's campaign manager.
I am currently available for any and all senior campaign staff positions.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Tobermory posted:

Those results are only for Republicans who self-identify as being "Very Liberal". In other words, RINOs.

"Very Liberal" is 1% of the ~500 Republican respondents.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Family Values posted:

It may be time to acknowledge that the modern primary system is a complete poo poo-show that's producing demonstrably worse results, and we need to go back to the nominating process being an internal party affair. At the very least, we wouldn't have to put up with campaigning for drat near 2 and a half years.

Motherfucking Donald Trump??? I know it's entertaining and he stands almost no chance of winning, but goddamn son, 'for the lulz' is no way to run a democracy. The last thing we should be doing is giving him a national platform to spew his idiocy.

But party insiders already control the primaries for the most part. And Trump has the money to buy pretty much whatever platform he wants. Maybe the way the current system is organized contributes to his delusion that he could actually win the primary which leads to him running his mouth? But I suspect if the nomination were determined in back rooms you'd still have Trump lobbying for it, and he'd still promote himself in the media to garner public support in order to convince and pressure the backroom powerbrokers, so that the result would be largely the same.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 17, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

McNerd posted:

Trump has the money to buy pretty much whatever platform he wants.

does he, though?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb! meets Jeb, probably.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

People who identified as Very Liberal and are also in the Republican Party, which only 1% of Republicans described themselves as.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Davethulhu posted:

"Very Liberal" is 1% of the ~500 Republican respondents.

Also anyone who is both Republican and self identifies as anything left of Moderate clearly has some weird issues. At least very conservative Democrats are largely lazy racists who haven't got around to changing their party since LBJ.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Joementum posted:

"What do you do? You're a plumber? What on earth is that?"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Look, buying gas station pizza is one thing. But buying it by the slice? Get the gently caress out of here with that insanity.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

He fought the unions and won and that's just like fighting ISIS.

I honestly read this as "fought the unicorns and won" at first.

Gyges posted:

Look, buying gas station pizza is one thing. But buying it by the slice? Get the gently caress out of here with that insanity.

Sometimes people want a small meal right now on their lunch break, not an entire pie. Many pizza places will have lunch slices available for just that reason.

That still doesn't justify that grody looking slice of gas-station pizza. :gonk:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Joementum posted:

It looks so much like he's shaking hands with Ulililia but the fact that there's sausage on that pizza makes that an impossible dream :(

• Locked thread