Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malefic Marmite
Jan 10, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Panzeh posted:

Also tell them to be patient and not try to make home run hits with the NVA right away- it's much more difficult for the US to deal with a multi-space incursion than a huge push and you do that a little bit at a time.

^^^
This is absolutely key to the NVA.
For the VC: taxation is integral to them actually having enough money to do anything significant. If you can't stand the idea of losing opposition until the coup's agitation round, use tax + terror. Although this will sound fairly obvious, keeping your key defensive areas at passive opposition, rather than active opposition, will make the US much less likely to airstrike at all. This, in turn, makes the NVA player's life way easier (due to the degradation of the Trail not occurring).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Has anyone gotten a copy of Tiger Leader? If so what do you think about it?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Oldstench posted:

Has anyone gotten a copy of Tiger Leader? If so what do you think about it?

I got it! :unsmith:

But it's just been sitting on a shelf so I can't tell you anything useful. :smith:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I got it! :unsmith:

But it's just been sitting on a shelf so I can't tell you anything useful. :smith:

Play it! Report back!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been playing ASL so long that my brain is basically fried with all the knowledge and rules. So, I went out today and picked up Memoir '44. And holy poo poo if it's not a brilliant little lite wargame. What a blast.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I've been playing ASL so long that my brain is basically fried with all the knowledge and rules. So, I went out today and picked up Memoir '44. And holy poo poo if it's not a brilliant little lite wargame. What a blast.

It really is. I love the Commands & Colors series. I'm really looking forward to trying The Great War.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

It really is. I love the Commands & Colors series. I'm really looking forward to trying The Great War.

There's an upcoming C&C WW1 game coming out!? Holy poo poo.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

There's an upcoming C&C WW1 game coming out!? Holy poo poo.

Yeah, there was a kickstarter for it several months ago. I backed it + got a copy at the UK Games Expo... You get a lot of minis in the box! (160 ish) It's most like Memoir 44 (in that there are very few unit types - lots and lots of infantry!), but the combat cards make it different and unique.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Looks like it has "been at retailers" for the last week or so, but I can't find it anywhere. Bummer.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Looks like it has "been at retailers" for the last week or so, but I can't find it anywhere. Bummer.

Doubt it - it's only just shipped to Kickstarter backers. The only place people could actually but it was the UK Games Expo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

Doubt it - it's only just shipped to Kickstarter backers. The only place people could actually but it was the UK Games Expo.

Ah. PSC Games' latest tweet said "[...] If you haven't got yours already it will be available through retailers from 8 June", hence my confusion.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

OK - if one were to want to get into the DVG Leader series, are they all at about parity on the "fun" and "interesting" scales and I should just pick the one that has the most interesting theme?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Get TAL and nothing else, it is best one.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Get TAL and nothing else, it is best one.

Any chance you could expand on that a little more? The air war over Vietnam is more interesting to me than the Gulf War (yes I realize there are more scenarios than just that).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There are quite a few improvements on the formula over Phantom Leader (which you can just buy on an ipad if you have one). First of all, you have an actual map rather than just a series of approaches and there are ridges on the map that can make it difficult to attack from certain angles (although it also makes it easy to avoid AA as well). Low/High altitude has more meaning: in low altitude, you are more likely to fly into ridges, at high altitude, you have a better chance of finding more enemies. Pilots and aircrafts are separated instead of being one entity, so you can end up with severely damaged aircraft even if your pilots are still fine, which models damage better than the Phantom Leader system imo. Campaigns in TAL are dynamic and you aren't just given a set of objectives that you can strike, which have no meaning beyond just giving you victory points.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

There are quite a few improvements on the formula over Phantom Leader (which you can just buy on an ipad if you have one). First of all, you have an actual map rather than just a series of approaches and there are ridges on the map that can make it difficult to attack from certain angles (although it also makes it easy to avoid AA as well). Low/High altitude has more meaning: in low altitude, you are more likely to fly into ridges, at high altitude, you have a better chance of finding more enemies. Pilots and aircrafts are separated instead of being one entity, so you can end up with severely damaged aircraft even if your pilots are still fine, which models damage better than the Phantom Leader system imo. Campaigns in TAL are dynamic and you aren't just given a set of objectives that you can strike, which have no meaning beyond just giving you victory points.

I'll definitely reconsider buying TAL instead of PL based on this. Thanks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Oldstench posted:

I'll definitely reconsider buying TAL instead of PL based on this. Thanks.

TAL is a great game and has served me well. It is one of the games I always recommend.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I liked it when BGG was split into subcategories, because I could click "wargames" and have the hotness list confined to them, in what I found to be the most convenient way to track non-GMT releases and announcements. What's the best lazy way to do that now and please don't say consimworld?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

I liked it when BGG was split into subcategories, because I could click "wargames" and have the hotness list confined to them, in what I found to be the most convenient way to track non-GMT releases and announcements. What's the best lazy way to do that now and please don't say consimworld?

Hover your mouse over Board Games at the top, and choose the Wargames subdomain.

e: Also change your frontpage to have the Subdomain Forums widget and select "Wargames" from the dropdown.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hot BGG tips!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tomorrow's the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. Whatcha playin' to celebrate?

As I'm not spending a zillion dollars on NT, I was thinking about giving Waterloo 200 a spin. Of course, I don't have anyone near me to F2F it with, so I might just have to grab a copy of Field Commander: Napoleon instead.

Not-so-comedy option, PnP a copy of One-Minute Waterloo

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
The new War of the Ring expansion has been announced, Warriors of Middle-earth!

New cards, figures, dice, mechanics (Factions!), and, most importantly, new artwork from John Howe! They're also reprinting the base game and the first expansion.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Taran_Wanderer posted:

The new War of the Ring expansion has been announced, Warriors of Middle-earth!

New cards, figures, dice, mechanics (Factions!), and, most importantly, new artwork from John Howe! They're also reprinting the base game and the first expansion.

Take your Ameritrash somewhere else. This is for REAL WARGAMES. For REAL MEN (AND WOMEN - Let's no be mysoginist pigs like Tim Hunt here)

On a more serious note - it looks good. War of the Ring is my favourite Trash game, and looking forward to having more of it!

On an unrelated, and very sad note, I missed out on a really really sweet-looking World in Flames deal on eBay :( Unpunched Final deluxe Edition went for £42!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The time I played war of the ring I thought it wasn't too bad, interested to see what they added.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

WotR rules. Play it if you get a chance.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The one bit of functionality that seems to be missing from the subdomains on BGG is that once you switch to wargames you can't click browse on images box to bring up the full version like you used to be able to. You just have to click through the pages of tiny thumbnails. I want it back.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oldstench posted:

Tomorrow's the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. Whatcha playin' to celebrate?

As I'm not spending a zillion dollars on NT, I was thinking about giving Waterloo 200 a spin. Of course, I don't have anyone near me to F2F it with, so I might just have to grab a copy of Field Commander: Napoleon instead.

Not-so-comedy option, PnP a copy of One-Minute Waterloo

I'm going with the classics and playing Avalon Hill's War and Peace. It's an operational-level game with a series of scenarios from the war as well as a grand campaign if you have way too much time. Overall it's pretty simple for an Avalon Hill game, too. This is assuming I finish my homework instead of posting on forums all day

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mailman came!

My reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soz9eYCd610

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm preparing an LP of Red Winter, and I'd appreciate your input (or participation, once I get it rolling). Here's the Sandcastle Post. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

e: not wargame related

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

I'm preparing an LP of Red Winter, and I'd appreciate your input (or participation, once I get it rolling). Here's the Sandcastle Post. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Honestly, keep it as simple for the players as possible and work on a model where the fewest possible players are required.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Thanks to this thread ordered a copy of Soviet Dawn and got it today! :)

It was missing the Front Markers :(

I've found pictures of the front side of them to make proxies while I wait for VPG to ship me the replacements, can anyone tell me if there's anything on the back besides explaining what the Czech Legion does and Front Inactive?

Edit: Nm found a reference.

Zikan fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 20, 2015

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can someone link me to that YouTube video of some old guy at a gaming convention talking about dice? Pretty sure I first saw it in this thread.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Can someone link me to that YouTube video of some old guy at a gaming convention talking about dice? Pretty sure I first saw it in this thread.

Is this the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqr35mkiIhE

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Quick Fire in the Lake questions:

1. Can I do a Terror Op in a space that already has a Terror marker? So I shift the Support marker but don't add another Terror marker? It's not 100% clear to me.

2. Is there a way to get rid of Sabotage markers before a Coup round? I can't find anything so I guess there is no way?

Starting a long solo campaign and those two things were bothering me.

Thanks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Selecta84 posted:

Quick Fire in the Lake questions:

1. Can I do a Terror Op in a space that already has a Terror marker? So I shift the Support marker but don't add another Terror marker? It's not 100% clear to me.

2. Is there a way to get rid of Sabotage markers before a Coup round? I can't find anything so I guess there is no way?

Starting a long solo campaign and those two things were bothering me.

Thanks

1. Yes, you will increase opposition but will not add any more terror markers if there already is one.

2. No, sabotaged LoCs cannot be fixed once broken. You have to wait for the next Coup.

Good luck with your solo campaign! I have won every solo game of FitL bar one, whilst I have literally never won a solo game of ADP. Afghanistan truly is the graveyard of Empires.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Great, thanks you.

I'm really looking forward to play the long game.

Gonna play all factions for learning purposes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So I finished my the first "learning" scenario of TAL today - Iraq War w/Surge situation. I managed to only get 1 pilot killed and ended with a "Good" rating. I'm pretty sure I only screwed up 2 rules once each. I forgot to immediately remove 2 WP worth of ordinance after taking Pylon damage, and I forgot to add a +2 range modifier on SAM units due to the battalion card. The last one didn't actually matter because they got 'sploded before it would have had any effect.

I don't usually get really into planning stages of games, but there's something really enjoyable and tense with balancing the ordinance weight and cost, especially when you're down to 1 SO point and have to figure out how to best arm your 3 aircraft to take on 15 enemies. Also, flinging laser guided bombs from an F-16 and watching all 4 tanks in a hex explode is just really exciting. It's a very fun game; I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Not quite. It was similar, some old beardy guy who makes dice explaining why his ones were better than the cheap chessex ones with rounded edges and he had some whacky shaped Dsomething dice that he had invented with some university doctor or something. Thanks though.