Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Did you do the side quest with the vow of silence druid? It's possible I had done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Bort Bortles posted:

I have this problem as well. I was wondering if it was because of the quest situation but his marker is there but he is not and it disturbs me greatly because I forgot to buy everything from him and I definitely need some recipes from him.

edit: oh and the reason you do Gremists' quest(s) is to be able to play him in Gwent to get Avallac'h.

Same problem, also right outside the cave is a druid with a "!" over his head, but when i talk to him all i get in reply us either "Meh" or "Hrmph"

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Andrast posted:

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Radovid's idea for making an omelette is to burn down the whole farm.

So in summary:

GrossMurpel posted:

RADOVID SUCKS FLACCID COCK

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Darth Ballz posted:

Same problem, also right outside the cave is a druid with a "!" over his head, but when i talk to him all i get in reply us either "Meh" or "Hrmph"

Figured out that druid on my second playthrough: his quest is nothing more than telling you about Gremist and prompting you to learn from him. If you approach Gremist before you approach this guy, he will never give you the quest because there's no point, but the exclamation mark never disappears either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azazell0 posted:

Trust me, I scoured that hill pretty good with all its holes. One of them has Ermion, who doesn't sell anything, one has a druid that's just a generic NPC with no dialogue and one has that alchemist icon but no one there.
I did the same; he is definitely not there. I just talked to Ermion and asked him to go to Kaer Morhen, so I figured maybe it had something to do with that. However, if the guy is actually not there his icon should disappear, should it not? That is why I think it is a bug.

Zakmonster posted:

Figured out that druid on my second playthrough: his quest is nothing more than telling you about Gremist and prompting you to learn from him. If you approach Gremist before you approach this guy, he will never give you the quest because there's no point, but the exclamation mark never disappears either.
This is good to know, thank you! I ignored him because I was burning to get to Gremist to play him in Gwent.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Any advice on which attributes are fun to level up on Witcher I? Playing for the first time, in order. Also curious how long it takes to beat as everybody keeps telling me the second one is even better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

extra stout posted:

Any advice on which attributes are fun to level up on Witcher I? Playing for the first time, in order. Also curious how long it takes to beat as everybody keeps telling me the second one is even better.
There are 5 acts. You can beat it easily if you spam igni.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I did the same; he is definitely not there. I just talked to Ermion and asked him to go to Kaer Morhen, so I figured maybe it had something to do with that. However, if the guy is actually not there his icon should disappear, should it not? That is why I think it is a bug.

This is good to know, thank you! I ignored him because I was burning to get to Gremist to play him in Gwent.

There are other instances of vendors appearing in weird places - one blacksmith appears in an unreachable warehouse in novigrad until you go to his shop and wait until morning. The one in the cave is definitely real though - if you've done the vow of silence druid side quest, and have tried all manner of meditating close to but not too close to where he stands, then I think you're stuck. Bummer if he's gone because he sells like, all the recipes.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Oh so that's what that was, good to know!

Magni posted:

Radovid's idea for making an omelette is to burn down the whole farm.

So in summary:

Burn the farm and destroy any scientific knowledge that allowed us to breed chickens in the first place.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
You know, with Radovid, I kind of wish we had a chance to talk to him. Like, REALLY talk to him. About what he is doing. Not that it would work or anything. At least a something like "Hey, Triss is my friend. Can you stop trying to burn her?" He'd tell us no and go back to talking about the heartbeats of chess pieces but at that point, it would be clear that he's totally nuts and a lost cause.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I really wish there was an option to say "I don't care about alchemy, play Gwent with me". Because going through that fetch quest just to play cards was silly

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

extra stout posted:

I'm a boring sod and went full strength, you get some ridiculous combos later on. The game encourages a bit of spreading around with the skill tier system, so dabble in anything you find interesting. It's quite long, but no open world game, I'd say 50 hours to do everything, depending on howe often you get hung up. It's a more classic RPG in the sense that the main path is actually kinda hard to figure out sometimes, and a whole lot of the sidequests figure in to the main quest. I loved it then and I still do, if the jank doesn't get on your nerves stay with it. Witcher 2 is "better", but it's also a very different game.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

jaete posted:

You can find it elsewhere as well. With some herbs there seem to be these specific zones where they grow; I never bothered figuring them out since herbalists sell everything cheaply in case I need something.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I've spent something like the last 20 hours of gameplay actively looking for Balisse Fruit in Velen. Not a single herbalist in Velen carries it and I traveled all over the map in that time and never saw any. It is a very easy plant to spot, so if it does exist in Velen, it's tucked away into some small corner of the map or exists in very low quantities.

Go to White Orchard and Balisse Fruit is growing all over the place and the herbalist there sells it cheaply. If anyone needs some, I recommend just fast traveling to the sign near the herbalist's house in White Orchard and just buying like 20. That should be enough to craft most of the potions that need it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I didn't find the sign near the herbalists house in white orchard until the epilogue - I'm mad.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
At first, I had the Viper school swords and loved them because of the poison. Then I got two relic swords I loved because they each had good perks (Glory of hte North for instance which immolated my foes at 10% chance). Now I have my first "real" set the Griffin swords, and I just hope they can keep the trend of my swords getting more and more awesome.

About 500 XP from level 8 and I can put on my Griffin gear!

Seriously, this game is immense. Like my map is just covered in ?s. I laugh at skulls, killed a way over my level wyrm to get my griffin sword diagram at level 6. :smug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I didn't find the sign near the herbalists house in white orchard until the epilogue - I'm mad.

Isn't there supposedly a map dude you can buy all the signpost locations off of?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, I'm sure one of you said it and I just forgot, but I really wish the alchemy was clearer that you only have to forge the consumable once and then only have to worry about alcohol from there out. late last night I went on an alchemy binge just crafting whatever consumable I could because gently caress it.

EDIT:
Even the alcohol isn't clear...i hunted down some reddit post where they tried to figure it out.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 17, 2015

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Spoilers end of Kiera's Sidequests -- So I told Kiera to go to Kaer Mohren, but I didn't let her keep the notes cause I didn't trust her rear end. So I guess now I've doomed everyone to die of the plague because she won't be able to cure it? I had no idea she would work on the cure, I figured letting her keep the notes was too risky since she could disobey me and go to Radovid instead.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

One of those people who doesn't have either the alternate Triss or Wolf gear available for download. How long will it be? (I live in Alberta,for reference)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

extra stout posted:

All the sword techniques are good and also take the skills that improve your fighting ability when drunk. The Witcher is seriously long but if you can survive the first two miserable acts the rest is pretty great.

The second game is a lot better over all but it has worse drinking, dice game, inventory, boxing and music. It has Odrin as well.

The third game is an improvement except it got rid of dice and the music and inventory aren't as good as the first game and Odrin is missing again sort of.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

One of those people who doesn't have either the alternate Triss or Wolf gear available for download. How long will it be? (I live in Alberta,for reference)

Hmm Alberta? Well that's a long way for the internet to travel all the way from Poland. More seriously, I don't think they are releasing it on a country by country basis, just a platform one. So I guess xbones got it first and then pc and ps4 will get them soon.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Man, Skellige is a huge disappointment to explore when compared to the other zones. Boat travel takes too long to get anywhere, even when using harbors to cut the distance. And just a heads up, all of the outlying undiscovered locations will be uninspired smuggler's caches and spoils of war strung out one after the other with nothing to break up the monotony. The only incentive to check those out is loot; there aren't any flavorful locales or interesting associated quests, just endless, boring ocean. The monster encounters are also supremely dull as it's just Geralt 360 noscoping drowners and sirens with his crossbow in the water.

My advice is to just stick to the mainland islands and ignore the outskirts or any question marks located in the water. Once you've finished one Skellige smuggler cache, you've pretty much experienced the majority of what that map has to offer.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Damo posted:

Spoilers end of Kiera's Sidequests -- So I told Kiera to go to Kaer Mohren, but I didn't let her keep the notes cause I didn't trust her rear end. So I guess now I've doomed everyone to die of the plague because she won't be able to cure it? I had no idea she would work on the cure, I figured letting her keep the notes was too risky since she could disobey me and go to Radovid instead.

I just completed the battle of Kaer Morhen, did the other stuff and got back to Novigrad, and when I spoke with Triss I got this ending sequence thing for Keira. Apparently she is now together with Lambert or something, and even though she didn't have her notes she just began afresh with the plague cure and was able to do it anyway. Surprised how happily that turned out :3:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Damo posted:

(e:fb)
Since you already read that she creates a cure, I guess it's not really a spoiler (for you) - someone mentioned earlier in the thread that she develops a cure with or without the notes.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

moot the hopple posted:

Man, Skellige is a huge disappointment to explore when compared to the other zones. Boat travel takes too long to get anywhere, even when using harbors to cut the distance. And just a heads up, all of the outlying undiscovered locations will be uninspired smuggler's caches and spoils of war strung out one after the other with nothing to break up the monotony. The only incentive to check those out is loot; there aren't any flavorful locales or interesting associated quests, just endless, boring ocean. The monster encounters are also supremely dull as it's just Geralt 360 noscoping drowners and sirens with his crossbow in the water.

My advice is to just stick to the mainland islands and ignore the outskirts or any question marks located in the water. Once you've finished one Skellige smuggler cache, you've pretty much experienced the majority of what that map has to offer.

Agreed, Skellige outside the main mission areas is awful compared to the other parts of the game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So who carries the 4th set of notes for the new Wolf gear? I got two from Hattori and one from Lugos'' place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

I liked Yen's reaction when Geralt appeared with Ciri. That uncharacteristic "CIRIIIIIII" scream and Yen just hugging her :3:

It doesn't excuse any of her prior actions, but I think her usual aloof bearing makes people forget/overlook the WHY. Ciri's her daughter and like many mothers, Yen will burn the world to the loving ground to protect her little girl.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gilganixon posted:

Agreed, Skellige outside the main mission areas is awful compared to the other parts of the game.
Thirding this, though I do absolutely love the land-stuff on the Skellige isles. Make sure you go to the little island that is directly left/west of the Kaer Trolde harbor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

So who carries the 4th set of notes for the new Wolf gear? I got two from Hattori and one from Lugos'' place.

One of the generic smiths in Velen has one, and the armourer in Crach's castle has the last.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gilganixon posted:

It was my favorite area to explore, just stay out of the water. I didn't like novigrad all that much for exploring because it's super-confusing and there aren't that many landmarks.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

Steam seems kinda borked in that the Steam shop and library don't display them yet, but you can totally download and install them by going to the Steam shop through your web browser instead.

Asehujiko posted:

Two maps are sold by Hattori, one by the armorer on the main square in Novigrad, one by the smith in Lindenvale (village straight east of the Bloody Baron's castle), one by the armorer in Kaer Trolde and one by the smith in Lugos' place.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

theres that inlet with a full sized galleon and a dead bear on a funeral slab in the bottom left corner. no reason for it to exist or be there but there it is

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Magni posted:

Steam seems kinda borked in that the Steam shop and library don't display them yet, but you can totally download and install them by going to the Steam shop through your web browser instead.

Also I just found that you can search on the client for the DLC names and they appear.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

yeah, it feels significantly more 'generic fantasy' than the velen zone and I felt less of a connection to it on the whole. that the questline is fairly truncated and is scattered all across the map with the option to fast travel everywhere with a minor purchase from a merchant doesn't help matters.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

244 hours, completed on blood and broken bones and death march, done literally everything except for random question marks on the map, and I just feel kinda sad. I want more of it, but I've already played through twice back to back, what an amazing game.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Bogarts posted:

Also I just found that you can search on the client for the DLC names and they appear.
Thank you for this.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Aurain posted:

or you can convince her to go to Kaer Morhen with them to work in peace.

Welp I guess I know what to pick the next play through. It's not like I had a choice though, all I did was object to her and she's like DRAW YOUR SWORD THEN and then it was a fight to the death v0v

I'm not seeing the wolfen DLC on steam.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 18, 2015

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

I may or may not have 800 raw meat in my inventory

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sex Prospector posted:

I may or may not have 800 raw meat in my inventory
Great post/av combo.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cole posted:

:siren: The game will warn you if you have to do any side quests before progressing. You literally cannot go forth in the game without acknowledging and agreeing to fail side quests. There is a point of no return and the game will let you know about it in an obnoxious way that you cannot miss.:siren:

I don't know. I advanced the quest to get Uma and was told I failed "Following the Thread." I got zero warning as far as I recall that doing the quest was going to cause side quests to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Does anyone know where to find the cave leading to the tree spirit ,so I can get the benefits of doing it early? I just talked to Gran, does that lock me outta said benefits or does that only happen if you talk to the Crones ?