Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

The very first time I killed no spiders [because I thought tbey were head-resistant everywhere] and used Tonitus while tactical rolling like a retard 24/7

This is what most faqs say to do, going so far as to call it the Tonitrus Strategy. I like the idea of picking off the spiders while baiting the AOE attack instead of the falling missiles.

I beat every other boss on the first or second attempt, then wilted like a frontrunner in the face of the slightly different style of Rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

i dont think "use the tonitrus in the normal sense" is really a strategy but thats what i did

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Just got to the boss in cainhurst, killed rom before that. I'm curious about how I should use my blood chunks so that I don't waste them. I have ludwigs and tonitrus at +6 and I enjoy the tonitrus but I'm afraid I'll be gimped against bolt resistant enemies later or something. Should I just stick with my ludwigs? 20str/13skill I've got some other weapons too. Ludwigs is getting kinda boring

Dec 26, 2012

use them on whatever you like, chunks arent super hard to find later anymore

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I took my Hunter's Axe, Ludwig's, and Tonitrus all to +9 in my first run 0 regret.

Bloodborne doesn't have a bolt resistant enemy except for Dark Beast Paarl and I guess Loran Silverbeasts

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

hubris.height posted:

hello page 69,

to beat rom, my advice is to kill his spiderlings first, and dodge his moves. they're kinda predictable once you get an eye for them.

rom is female

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

rediscover posted:

rom is female

She is transitioning to Elder God.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Agag posted:

She is transitioning to Elder God.

please do not do gbs jokes in the imp zone

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the undead giant 2 is kicking my rear end severly on this character. idk, i got him in a few tries on the last char O_o

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

the undead giant 2 is kicking my rear end severly on this character. idk, i got him in a few tries on the last char O_o

the undead giants depend really heavily on what weapon you use against them whether or not theyre hard

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

rediscover posted:

don't do gbs jokes here

Its the literal backstory of the boss.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Agag posted:

Its the literal backstory of the boss.

yeah okay gbs guy.... i beleive you dude, for real

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

rediscover posted:

yeah okay gbs guy.... i beleive you dude, for real

Do you prefer skill or strength based builds?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i used kirkhammer on UDG the first time, and i'm using ludwig's this time. i feel like they're very similar weapons.

Dec 26, 2012

1h theyre literally the same, 2h is pretty different

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I freaking hate the Kirkhammer 2h so much... it should do so much more dmg for how pita it is

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Or like... idk the idea that this huge stone hammer somehow suffers from "glancing hits" pisses me off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So long, page 69.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Does the Kirkhammer stun better than the Ludwig sword? I'm using the Kirkhammer on a str/vit build, but I would swap it out for the Ludwig sword if its that much better.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

So long, page 69.

Can't wait for page 420.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

rediscover posted:

rom is female

i literally had no idea, thanks

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
rom is octomom

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

This hunter at the end of Eileen's chain is pretty rough. I got him down to a sliver first attempt with bolt paper but now he's killed me about twenty five times. I even tried cheesing him

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the chikage hunter is harder than most of the bosses. try to bait him into using the blood attack mode on his katana and attacking him when its active so he wont parry you. also when you see him dodge, expect him to follow up with a pistol shot immediately after cause he does that poo poo a lot. after he gets past half health and he's blown his heal he wont transform to the blood mode anymore so dont span attacks or he'll parry you. its a hard fight, may the good blood guide your way

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've had great success with backstep attacking that guy, but it's been a close fight every time

Dec 26, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

the chikage hunter is harder than most of the bosses. try to bait him into using the blood attack mode on his katana and attacking him when its active so he wont parry you. also when you see him dodge, expect him to follow up with a pistol shot immediately after cause he does that poo poo a lot. after he gets past half health and he's blown his heal he wont transform to the blood mode anymore so dont span attacks or he'll parry you. its a hard fight, may the good blood guide your way

does he only have the one heal?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

01011001 posted:

does he only have the one heal?

i've had him heal twice on me, which i thought npc hunters couldn't do

anyway, i'm a little drunk, so i'm going to try UDG until i merk him

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo, i did it! i finally realized that if you get in mid range after you pop his tumor you can trigger him into his chain swing, which leaves him open for like half a second. i also realized that dodging into his scythe is better than against it. i finished him off with bone marrow and evelyn, but i think i probably could've done it legit.

goddamn i love this loving game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jhbP62dms

here's my run

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i beat chalice dungeon rom by doing what i usually do for that fight: trying to herd the spiders to one side and then attacking rom from the other and healing through damage. that was after an embarrassing number of deaths to just hitting the loving lever to open her boss door

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Ludwig sword rules. Beefed it up then took out Rom on my first attempt.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

sector_corrector posted:

holy poo poo, i did it! i finally realized that if you get in mid range after you pop his tumor you can trigger him into his chain swing, which leaves him open for like half a second. i also realized that dodging into his scythe is better than against it. i finished him off with bone marrow and evelyn, but i think i probably could've done it legit.

goddamn i love this loving game

goongrats.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I freaking hate the Kirkhammer 2h so much... it should do so much more dmg for how pita it is

its really good once u know the reach and the 2h l2 is really good. the 2h is best for huge enemies and not small ones. i like the kirkhammer more than ludwigs

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Agag posted:

Does the Kirkhammer stun better than the Ludwig sword?

maybe. theyre at least as good as eachother anyway.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

hubris.height posted:

i literally had no idea, thanks

IDK how people have figured rom is female but Id liek to point out nobody ever bothered to look up the nordic origins of sifs name in ds1 and find out its a female name

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I.N.R.I posted:

IDK how people have figured rom is female but Id liek to point out nobody ever bothered to look up the nordic origins of sifs name in ds1 and find out its a female name

miyazaki referred to rom as a she in a interview

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

rediscover posted:

miyazaki referred to rom as a she in a interview

ohhhhh.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
rom is an it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
ive heard that the retarded language they speak in miyazaki's country doesnt have gendered nonspecific pronouns like "he" or "she"... not going to look it up though

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

maybe. theyre at least as good as eachother anyway.

the kirkhammer has the highest hitstun across all of its 2h attacks, but they come out slower than the ludwigs, so its just sort of a different balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

its really good once u know the reach and the 2h l2 is really good. the 2h is best for huge enemies and not small ones. i like the kirkhammer more than ludwigs

most of the 2h l2's i can think of are extremely good, or at least fairly useful relative to the rest of the moveset