Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, admittedly the whole Ulysses thing gave a very specific background to the Courier
All Lonesome Road declared about your character is you were a courier (which was already established by the main game's opening cutscene) and that you did a few jobs of courier work to and/or from the Divide. That's it.
All that other stuff about the Courier building a community and whatnot, that was Ulysses' interpretation of what he saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope the dog barks all the time and freaks out when it can't fit a dismembered leg in its mouth through a door

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Raygereio posted:

All Lonesome Road declared about your character is you were a courier (which was already established by the main game's opening cutscene) and that you did a few jobs of courier work to and/or from the Divide. That's it.
All that other stuff about the Courier building a community and whatnot, that was Ulysses' interpretation of what he saw.

Having been a courier before the start of the game could potentially disrupt people who come up with specific backstories like "tribal blundered into a post office and got offered a job in a wacky comedy of errors" or "Fallout 3 protagonist journeyed west on that steamboat from Point Lookout" so Lonesome Road "giving you a backstory" is kind of true in that sense.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I really hope you can play fetch with body parts. It'd give me something to do with all those severed heads I leave lying around.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

i am tim! posted:

You know, I'm pretty sure the only NPC they talked about using your name in spoken dialogue is Cogsworth the Robot. I don't think they intended that feature to go beyond the one 'person' in the wasteland that has any kind of personal connection to who you were before the bombs fell and that people are reading too much into it.

In truth, it would b a very nice touch if the only one calling you by your real name in this strange new world is the only one that knew you from the old world.

That's cool. They can get away with that with a robot much easier than a human.

I hope the tutorial level involved you showing your baby how to do things. Press A to Encourage Son/Daughter.

Then you leave your child and go on a wild quest. In the middle the flabbergasted child finds you in the wasteland and you ignore their plight to continue your own destiny, giving them crazy orders to do along the way.

You Are The Dad. Though not voiced by Liam Neeson.

Rodney-CK fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 18, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Also, who wants to bet that the main theme of this game, much like how 3 had a theme of "sacrifice", will be "liberty", and that your big choice at the end will be to let the robot slaves go or not?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Also, who wants to bet that the main theme of this game, much like how 3 had a theme of "sacrifice", will be "liberty", and that your big choice at the end will be to let the robot slaves go or not?

there was a theme in fallout 3?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I'm sure the setting contemporary-ish to the previous two games is to try to reference a few familiar characters and maybe even have one or two of them show up, which does make it a shame that they seem to be sort of ignoring New Vegas.
they'd also be hamstringing their own potential, what with the fact that you can't follow up on Butch DeLoria's Biker Gang or Moira's Autistic Adventure or basically the clusterfuck Point Lookout started with Desmond

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Family robot says 200 years have passed when you first meet him

I thought the robot said "about" and all talk has been ballparking the figure at two centuries instead of pedantically saying "two hundreds and seven years" or something like that, but eh.

Speaking of two-hundred year anniversaries, tomorrow is Waterloo's!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What is the theme of Fallout 3? Find out in our new DLC pack for only $14.99!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SunAndSpring posted:

[in voice that gets increasingly louder and angrier as the sentence goes on] why did they even make realistic human robots and then make them slaves and then program them to not want to be slaves???

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They, uh, tried. But unlike Obsidian, who did a decent job of having the theme "Let go and begin again" throughout the game and DLC, the subtlest Bethesda got was the scene where your father impotently kills himself in an attempt to take Col. Autumn with him.

2house2fly posted:

[in voice that gets increasingly louder and angrier as the sentence goes on] why did they even make realistic human robots and then make them slaves and then program them to not want to be slaves???

:suicide101: "Great job, guys. We built a robot that looks exactly like a human. Let's not take advantage of its undying loyalty and human appearance to create the perfect spy, but instead use it to do menial poo poo any normal robot could do, and give it free will so that it resents us for it. This will never fail."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 18, 2015

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was our destiny to die of radiation so people could shower

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SunAndSpring posted:

2house2fly posted:

:suicide101: "Great job, guys. We built a robot that looks exactly like a human. Let's not take advantage of its undying loyalty and human appearance to create the perfect spy, but instead use it to do menial poo poo any normal robot could do, and give it free will so that it resents us for it. This will never fail."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I also like how dumb the Enclave's plan to wipe out the local populace of D.C. was. You figure it would've been more efficient to just kill them all with their loving orbital weapons platform or send a few squads of power armor troopers with the most advanced technology in the wastes to clear out all the settlements and muties, instead of hoping that everyone is too stupid to realize the watering hole has been poisoned.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

SunAndSpring posted:

I also like how dumb the Enclave's plan to wipe out the local populace of D.C. was. You figure it would've been more efficient to just kill them all with their loving orbital weapons platform or send a few squads of power armor troopers with the most advanced technology in the wastes to clear out all the settlements and muties, instead of hoping that everyone is too stupid to realize the watering hole has been poisoned.

Fallout 3 had a common theme of stupidity.

On topic, who else is concerned Fallout 4 will be incredibly unstable?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Merry Magpie posted:

Fallout 3 had a common theme of stupidity.

I can't wait until console mods start crashing the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently the VA for Jack in Mass Effect is the voice of lady Survivors

https://twitter.com/courtenaytaylor/status/611300490744344576

Now I can pretend Fallout is what happened to Earth after the Reapers were defeated.

e: oh, apparently she was also Gloria Van Graff among others.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 18, 2015

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

A low intelligence character will forget to take the baby with them when they evacuate the home or spend the start of the game attempting to ACTIVATE:MILK until they get blown up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm guessing they'll arrange Xbox One mods as effectively free DLC (or paid if they reintroduced paid mods in the Steam Workshop for it) and maybe include an automatic conflict detector to let you know that poo poo's not gonna work. There's no reliable way to let people do load order changes on a console, at least not the average Joe who's going to be playing Fallout 4 (because, shockingly enough, the mass market AAA game is made to appeal to more than just grognards), so you'd have the game or console do all the behind the scenes work for you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dunno about you guys but I pre-ordered the instant I saw some dude getting his head blown off by a teddy bear fired from a Rock-It Launcher.

Hopefully something as plainly broken as the Dart Gun ends up being possible.

Oh what am I saying, a brokenly powerful weapon in a Fallout game? What a pipe dream

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

Apparently the VA for Jack in Mass Effect is the voice of lady Survivors

https://twitter.com/courtenaytaylor/status/611300490744344576

Now I can pretend Fallout is what happened to Earth after the Reapers were defeated.

Wait a minute. The voice director for this game is literally named Kal-El Bogdanove? God drat Hollywood people.

Also, who the gently caress is the male voice actor? He hasn't been in anything important.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

That was EDEN's plan, not the Enclaves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Wait a minute. The voice director for this game is literally named Kal-El Bogdanove? God drat Hollywood people.

He's actually the son of a comic book artist (unless there are two people with that rather, uh, remarkable name), but otherwise, yes.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm guessing they'll arrange Xbox One mods as effectively free DLC (or paid if they reintroduced paid mods in the Steam Workshop for it) and maybe include an automatic conflict detector to let you know that poo poo's not gonna work. There's no reliable way to let people do load order changes on a console, at least not the average Joe who's going to be playing Fallout 4 (because, shockingly enough, the mass market AAA game is made to appeal to more than just grognards), so you'd have the game or console do all the behind the scenes work for you.

Yeah, the likelihood that Microsoft would let them put out that much free DLC is basically zero. It's gonna be paid, Beth and Valve have pretty much said so already in their statements about why Skyrim paid mods didn't work.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

He's actually the son of a comic book artist (unless there are two people with that rather, uh, remarkable name), but otherwise, yes.

Nicholas Cage also named one of his son's Kal-El.

Sharkopath posted:

That was EDEN's plan, not the Enclaves.

My mistake. Still, Eden sure is loving dumb for a supercomputer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And yet, if you go along with it, it works, so who's the dumb now!?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

My mistake. Still, Eden sure is loving dumb for a supercomputer.

The Enclave's plan was basically destabilize and supplant the Brotherhood of Steel as the dominant power in the area, and then do experiments and tests on the people living in the wasteland while also leading them an unifying the eastern coast under their power, at least as I gathered from my playthrough. It's more interesting than I think a lot of people give it credit for and also why I think its dumb you can't side with them. EDEN was arguing for the hardline pure humanity or death platform but he was being ignored which is why he asks you to do it instead, because they won't.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SunAndSpring posted:

You're so close! After the big reveal that you're a synthetic (wo)man, the Institute eggheads deeply apologize for implanting false memories and a hacked Handy to fool you into uncovering the Railroad's deepest secrets. To make up for it, they offer you replicants of your simulated spouse and an EXACT COMPOSITE of what your child would be, all grown up and 18. All you have to do is just... walk away (and let your plucky band of mandatory Railroad companions be massacred by generic synth enemies).

Merry Magpie posted:

Remember the exponential memory leak save bug on the PS3 that lasted from Oblivion through New Vegas to Skyrim before it was fixed?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If the remnants of the remnants of the remnants enclave show up again but this time you can join them and lead them to victory it will be the best of all possible fallouts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

If the remnants of the remnants of the remnants enclave show up again but this time you can join them and lead them to victory it will be the best of all possible fallouts.

Who better, after all, to lead the Enclave back to glory but a living time capsule of the era they are trying to reclaim?

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

I would like to say that fallout 1, 2, 3, and New Vegas were all good, fun games, and that fallout 4 will likely also be a good, fun game.

ty for reading.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I think since everybody was crying how the Brotherhood are supposed to be assholes not good guys, they are going to be the one of the enemies this time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

The Enclave's plan was basically destabilize and supplant the Brotherhood of Steel as the dominant power in the area, and then do experiments and tests on the people living in the wasteland while also leading them an unifying the eastern coast under their power, at least as I gathered from my playthrough. It's more interesting than I think a lot of people give it credit for and also why I think its dumb you can't side with them. EDEN was arguing for the hardline pure humanity or death platform but he was being ignored which is why he asks you to do it instead, because they won't.

Col. Autumn's plan is sensible and logical. I don't have any problem with it. Eden's plan, however, will fail because there is a region-wide radio station that actively tells everyone not to drink the water after people start to get ill, and seeing as people have got by without the reservoir, it's not hard to just switch back to whatever they had. Also, if Eden's plan was to use the water to soften them up for an invasion, he also fails in that because most of his forces seem to be outright ignoring him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bholder posted:

I think since everybody was crying how the Brotherhood are supposed to be assholes not good guys, they are going to be the one of the enemies this time.

I did notice the player blowing one up in the video. And also blowing up a raider dressed in Brotherhood style armor.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Col. Autumn's plan is sensible and logical. I don't have any problem with it. Eden's plan, however, will fail because there is a region-wide radio station that actively tells everyone not to drink the water after people start to get ill, and seeing as people have got by without the reservoir, it's not hard to just switch back to whatever they had. Also, if Eden's plan was to use the water to soften them up for an invasion, he also fails in that because most of his forces seem to be outright ignoring him.

Eden's plan was to sabotage autumn's plan so they'd basically have to do what he wanted in the first place. If you poison the basin they can't use it as a bargaining chip and method of control over the wasteland populace anymore, and also lose any hope of support or hearts and minds so the only option left is termination by force.

Fallout 3's story could have been pretty good if they had opened it up a bit more.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

Lotish posted:

I did notice the player blowing one up in the video. And also blowing up a raider dressed in Brotherhood style armor.

There also seems to be a Brotherhood airship/command carrier I assume, called Prydwen falling out of the sky in the video.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good job keeping the worst death animation in history, people just... Falling apart at the joints when hit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sharkopath posted:

By the time of Fallout 4, the remaining remnants of the Enclave will basically be so dead from age they'll look like copies of Mutagen Man from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

EDIT: The classic 1990 Mutagen Man, not that lovely, lame CGI version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Fallout 4 is gonna be insanely awesome.

• Locked thread