Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it wrong and/or stupid to make my own chapter that's Black Templars except not black and less grimdark?

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/White_Templars
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Templars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am the world's slowest painter. Someone please kill me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

In all fairness, black, red and white do go pretty strikingly together. Can you blame a band of Teutonic supermen for choosing those three colors?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Drone posted:

So my local GW store is hosting an event/short campaign based on one of the Black Library novels. There's this guy on their Facebook page who's completely trashing the idea, since Black Library publishes trash, why on Earth would you try to recreate something from the book on the tabletop, blah blah. During his impassioned argument against using such "lyricless" and low-brow stories as inspiration for a tabletop setting, it comes out that he's an avid fan of My Little Pony.

What the gently caress kind of hobby have I decided to get myself into. Please tell me warhams like this are uncommon and are only noticeable because of how strange they are.

Black Library novels are trash

Nothing at all like the amazingly high-brow background in the rest of 40K, the like that would drive Mellvile, Joyce, and Dostoevsky into apoplectic fits of envy. Also cartoon ponies for little girls.

e: I hope he used the word "milieu" somewhere in his rant.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 18, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Graviton weapons are hopefully a good sign Dark Angels are heading in the right direction.

Hope is the first step toward disappointment, you filthy heretic.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hope is the first step toward disappointment, you filthy heretic.

Oh, come on. Have an open mind!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

raverrn posted:

Welp, I totally quoted the wrong guy. That was totally supposed to be Fnordcircle above your post.

Phoneposting: Not even once. :downswords:

Sorry, I thought you were doing a neckbeard putdown along the lines of 'We all know Death Guard are all traitors and lore hints whoever didn't fall and survived became a proto-grey Knight' or something. Which is admittedly exactly the kind of a reaction I was hoping to elicit from the beardier population.

That said, the loadout you described for a geek terminator squad is a pretty basic and solid one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FrostyPox posted:

Black Library novels are trash

Nothing at all like the amazingly high-brow background in the rest of 40K, the like that would drive Mellvile, Joyce, and Dostoevsky into apoplectic fits of envy. Also cartoon ponies for little girls.

e: I hope he used the word "milieu" somewhere in his rant.

It was in German and was 5 paragraphs of run-on sentences.

The GW store owner (who's actually a pretty good dude) responded pretty succinctly with something like "yeah, I understand why you'd say the Black Library novels lack lyricism. Since they're written in prose."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

I'm pretty sure I have you beat. I hate how slow it takes me to get my projects done. I just get an idea and I won't settle until I do it justice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Star Man posted:

Actually that's me!

Well ok that's not entirely true I get things done at a reasonable speed but I can only summon the willpower to start painting every few months.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm pretty sure I have you beat. I hate how slow it takes me to get my projects done. I just get an idea and I won't settle until I do it justice.

Yeah but the pay off.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I have never fully finished painting a miniature so I win

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Time for the some RP love! I played a really fun 4 way game the other day (Eldar, CSM, Mechanicus and IG). And one thing we did which was really fun was setup a Facebook group chat and during our downtime we posted RP to the group. Since we all had the Messenger app, we got instant notification. I know GW go on about forging the narrative (and I usually RP during charges and CC), but it really added something when you could spend time doing a bit more lengthy prose.

Here's some of my RP from the group. Reading through everyone's you get a fairly flavoursome battle report - I don't want to post others' RP in case they feel embarrassed, but everyone really had a great sense for their army. No pics because I'm ashamed of my unpainted models. I'm not too ashamed of my cliched overwrought prose :colbert:

(Setting the scene)

quote:

Death Lord Milotic glowered at the e-read outs as they blinked hypnotically in the blood stained command module. That which his dark masters had tasked him to find for so long was almost in his reach. The reward for success would be beyond his wildest dreams, but the penalty for failure was all too well known to him - in the dingy corners he could make out the forms of warped monstrosities - his predecessors that had failed to acquire the relic.
He clenched his fist around his weapon. Turning away from the telemetry, he began making preparations for the carnage to come...

(Helbrute gets blown up turn one by Eldar)

quote:

The Helbrute exploded with a thousand crimson blooms, Staggering back under the barrage of pinpoint fire, the legs of the dark machine buckled, before a shot penetrated the sarcophagus and with a final howl the abomination was silenced.

(Chaos Cultists earn their keep and return the favour in kind)

quote:

Amid a sickly and pallid miasma, the fallen librarian Synovus phlegmatically gurgled an order to the wretched cultists to target the squad of heavily armed Eldar in the ruins. The air sizzled with a mass volley of lasfire. Synovus squelched with delight to see three shots find their mark as three bodies toppled from the balcony, their bodies broken and sprawled in the dirt below

(Bloody pain in the arse warp spiders harry my forces for the entire game, and prove particularly effective against Chaos Spawn due to their low initiative)

quote:

Red and black figures shimmer and blur through the plascrete ruins. The mewling spawn pause and sniff the air, twisting their heads to catch a scent. Detecting something, they lumber forward, mouths drooling as a dark and base instinct controls their every action. They burst into the room, but they are too late - the spiders' trap was sprung. Their limbs are torn to shreds by razor sharp micro filaments

(13 Chaos Cultists get gibbed by IG Manticore. Terminator Nurgle Psyker leading them survives and continues his general streak of being sodding useless)

quote:

Joe (though he wished people would call him Xander as befitted a follower of Chaos as himself) crept through the crater, lasgun clutched to his chest, eyes scanning the pockmarks, wondering who or what would come pouring out of them. In the distance came the rolling of thunder. Joe saw the pustulent Psyker brace himself. It was the last thing he ever saw, as the barrage of the Planetary Guard turned him and anyone else in the crater into so much ash.

(Chaos Lord DIES AS BLOODY NORMAL. To be fair, he did deep strike in on turn three in between a wedge of Eldar, IG and AdMech, and he fulfilled his role of distraction carnifex very well, leaving the bulk of my forces free from to continue to guard my relic)

quote:

Lord Milotic went down under a hail of fire from the Mechanicus. Although he had fallen he hoped the ritual would reach fruition and that for the sake of his soul his dark masters would be pleased with his efforts...

The RP has encouraged us to turn it into a campaign, so that's an unexpected bonus. I'm going to try to pain my models in time for Apocalypse in September and see if I can get some more people in on this RP.

TL;DR: RP rocks, 40k rocks, playing with friends rocks, having a great GM rocks.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

ghetto wormhole posted:

Actually that's me!

Well ok that's not entirely true I get things done at a reasonable speed but I can only summon the willpower to start painting every few months.

Well all I've managed this month is 3 space marine bikers, 2 bikers repainted, and I'm struggling to finish my 3 last imperial assassins for the oath thread. Can you beat my staggering 8 models in a month pace?

Milotic posted:

Time for the some RP love! I played a really fun 4 way game the other day (Eldar, CSM, Mechanicus and IG). And one thing we did which was really fun was setup a Facebook group chat and during our downtime we posted RP to the group. Since we all had the Messenger app, we got instant notification. I know GW go on about forging the narrative (and I usually RP during charges and CC), but it really added something when you could spend time doing a bit more lengthy prose.

Here's some of my RP from the group. Reading through everyone's you get a fairly flavoursome battle report - I don't want to post others' RP in case they feel embarrassed, but everyone really had a great sense for their army. No pics because I'm ashamed of my unpainted models. I'm not too ashamed of my cliched overwrought prose :colbert:

TL;DR: RP rocks, 40k rocks, playing with friends rocks, having a great GM rocks.

You look like you're having a great time, wish my friends were this fun.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 18, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it wrong and/or stupid to make my own chapter that's Black Templars except not black and less grimdark?

Not at all. They're called Imperial Fists.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Wait...Green Marines using Blood Angel rules? This heresy can not stand...

The Culexus is a nice touch though. More proof that standard tournaments need some sort of sideboard option. Just a couple hundred points to switch out if anything.

The Culexus was money in every game except my first and last. The first because I killed everything that it could hurt on turn one before it came down and the last because the guy gave up on 4 and the assassin hadn't come in yet. He also single handily won my game 5 because it caused a flying demon circus player to make some horrible mistakes trying to play around it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The people I play with are mostly dads with disposable income and other nerdy hobbies who are fully functional members of society. One who isn't a dad occasionally races cars and makes good BBQ. Once I found a local club instead of digging around at gamestores hoping for the best, my warhams experience improved a ton. This weekend I'm playing some 40k with my dad for father's day. I'll bring a shitload of Iron Warriors and Valhallans and it'll be a fun time.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

The Culexus was money in every game except my first and last. The first because I killed everything that it could hurt on turn one before it came down and the last because the guy gave up on 4 and the assassin hadn't come in yet. He also single handily won my game 5 because it caused a flying demon circus player to make some horrible mistakes trying to play around it.

Going back to my list, so basically you don't like having to bring scouts to access the pod for the Cents, and think going regular old CAD would be better cause then I can cut both the Chaplain and scouts. Let's see what i am losing if we take this route. Mind you we can't effect a full pod list regardless cause I'm 2 short of 7, but keep the 5 I got plus 3 tac squads, honor guard, and cents. If I drop the Demi company and go straight CAD I free up 90 points for the chaplain, 155 for scouts, and about 200 for the bikes. I lose obj sec on bikes and cents, and an extra tactical doctrine, which playing as ultras is of debatable hindrance.

Now those units while technically a tax were far from useless with the chaplain giving the honor guard zealot( and obj sec) the scouts provide backfield obj coverage, and the bikes provide mobile response. Far from the biggest waste of about 450 points, but for the sake of argument I drop them and go full CAD.

What are the recommended replacements? Stormtalon, vindicator(or 2...I got 2 now :3 ) come to mind right off. Having something to cover my backfield is still important. I could even try that cheapo land speeder and whirlwind formation.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Played a game where a player used a Culexus and put it into a Storm Raven. Meaning he could deny my powers just by flying the assassin right to where he wanted it. It was quite a pain in the rear end.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Played a game where a player used a Culexus and put it into a Storm Raven. Meaning he could deny my powers just by flying the assassin right to where he wanted it. It was quite a pain in the rear end.

I played around with that and if I couldn't get him in a pod, or wasn't doing "Pods Across America: The List" I would totally run that all day. It's super good and gives you something that can assault out of that ride and murder some dudes.

Uroboros posted:

Going back to my list, so basically you don't like having to bring scouts to access the pod for the Cents, and think going regular old CAD would be better cause then I can cut both the Chaplain and scouts. Let's see what i am losing if we take this route. Mind you we can't effect a full pod list regardless cause I'm 2 short of 7, but keep the 5 I got plus 3 tac squads, honor guard, and cents. If I drop the Demi company and go straight CAD I free up 90 points for the chaplain, 155 for scouts, and about 200 for the bikes. I lose obj sec on bikes and cents, and an extra tactical doctrine, which playing as ultras is of debatable hindrance.

Now those units while technically a tax were far from useless with the chaplain giving the honor guard zealot( and obj sec) the scouts provide backfield obj coverage, and the bikes provide mobile response. Far from the biggest waste of about 450 points, but for the sake of argument I drop them and go full CAD.

What are the recommended replacements? Stormtalon, vindicator(or 2...I got 2 now :3 ) come to mind right off. Having something to cover my backfield is still important. I could even try that cheapo land speeder and whirlwind formation.

I'm not a big fan of the honor guard to be honest. They are good but so expensive. What is Tiggy doing for you? Rerolling reserves in his detachment is ~ok but it isn't anything to write home about. It's not like you will be consistently invisible. This really depends on what you want to do: what are the cents doing? is it possible you are throwing them away on an early drop without enough dudes around them to absorb charges? Maybe the battle company (the real one) and them in a raider with Coteaz or something could be better. Again I know you are working with what you have but everything is so unfocused. IF you are putting rhinos or razors on the table now, they better be free. If you are doing pods you better be overwhelming that forces a castle or a football that removes a threat without costing an arm and a leg (and hopefully gets you first blood).

Also the demi company doesn't get free rides. You have to be the full BC.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Played a game today where I tried out my brothers' Marines for a change of pace. Turns out it's a lot more flexible than playing CC-oriented Tyranids. :v:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Soulfucker posted:

Played a game today where I tried out my brothers' Marines for a change of pace. Turns out it's a lot more flexible than playing CC-oriented Tyranids. :v:

God I love shots of games where everything is painted. Looks awesome! Who won?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

I played around with that and if I couldn't get him in a pod, or wasn't doing "Pods Across America: The List" I would totally run that all day. It's super good and gives you something that can assault out of that ride and murder some dudes.

I'm not a big fan of the honor guard to be honest. They are good but so expensive. What is Tiggy doing for you? Rerolling reserves in his detachment is ~ok but it isn't anything to write home about. It's not like you will be consistently invisible. This really depends on what you want to do: what are the cents doing? is it possible you are throwing them away on an early drop without enough dudes around them to absorb charges? Maybe the battle company (the real one) and them in a raider with Coteaz or something could be better. Again I know you are working with what you have but everything is so unfocused. IF you are putting rhinos or razors on the table now, they better be free. If you are doing pods you better be overwhelming that forces a castle or a football that removes a threat without costing an arm and a leg (and hopefully gets you first blood).

Also the demi company doesn't get free rides. You have to be the full BC.

The idea really is for the cents, guard, and a tactical squad to come down in a wedge. Cents I've learned to always keep at their 24 inch stand off distance, but the guard and tacts are there to screen them. Tigurius plays a big role, not only does he ensure the other two squads show up, he is going to reliably get +4 invul to someone. I had planned on going full Divination because I'll get Prescience for free and with his retooling powers ill likely get what I want. First turn I can see all 3 hitting the ground with Devaststor doctrine to give the cents rerolls, storm of fire on the tacticals and prescience on the honor guard. Turn 2 hopefully honor guard are in melee relying on the chaplain for rerolls, tactical doctrine for the two tactical squads about to land, and prescience for cents along with ignore cover power if I happen to get it.

While these guys are all keeping the enemy focused to scouts and bikes are meant to pick up points, or the bikes can come forward to help if needed.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

God I love shots of games where everything is painted. Looks awesome! Who won?

Thanks! I won by 8 VPs in the end, it would've been a whole different game in the end had I not seized the initiative or if the Chaos Heldrake had bothered to arrive from Reserves before turn 4.

I only play with painted models, but I also have no decent camera to take good shots with so I tend to forget all about documenting my games. You're right in that it's a world of difference compared to grey plastic army shots.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Current hobby status: Magnetizing my recent paints and prepping for more Space Marines.

Eventually everything will be magnetized and it will be glorious. That's what I tell myself while I painstakingly clip and glue magnet strips, touch up all the bases, and want to die.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SRM posted:

The people I play with are mostly dads with disposable income and other nerdy hobbies who are fully functional members of society. One who isn't a dad occasionally races cars and makes good BBQ. Once I found a local club instead of digging around at gamestores hoping for the best, my warhams experience improved a ton. This weekend I'm playing some 40k with my dad for father's day. I'll bring a shitload of Iron Warriors and Valhallans and it'll be a fun time.

This is what I want.

There's a local tabletop gaming club here in my small city, but judging by their Facebook page the membership is mostly teens/students who would normally be found at the GW shop anyway (and the owner is an officer)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Current hobby status: Magnetizing my recent paints and prepping for more Space Marines.

Eventually everything will be magnetized and it will be glorious. That's what I tell myself while I painstakingly clip and glue magnet strips, touch up all the bases, and want to die.

You're so drat prolific, paint my army please.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

raverrn posted:

Welp, I totally quoted the wrong guy. That was totally supposed to be Fnordcircle above your post.

Phoneposting: Not even once. :downswords:

Thanks for the reply!

I think for now I"m gonna leave the arms off but I'll play my first game with that load out you suggested.

I have 10 termies/paladins. Why do you recommend running them as Terminators instead of Paladins?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

You're so drat prolific, paint my army please.

If you're seriously interested PM/email me (pierre the mime at yahoo dot com) and perhaps we can work something out. I've been considering starting commission work.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're seriously interested PM/email me (pierre the mime at yahoo dot com) and perhaps we can work something out. I've been considering starting commission work.

I am, and I will, was serious about the whole dropping money on a comission a month to speed up my army growth. I'd like me to be resting at 10-12 pods and about an equivalent number of Razorbacks down the road. Only have nearly half that number atm.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

I am, and I will, was serious about the whole dropping money on a comission a month to speed up my army growth. I'd like me to be resting at 10-12 pods and about an equivalent number of Razorbacks down the road. Only have nearly half that number atm.

I'll throw in some tealight fires, because everyone needs those. :3:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Codex: Dark Angels confirmed. 45 Euro (58 wonderful American dollars.) (Reclusiam Edition is only €130!)

EDIT: Whoops. Old news I guess.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 18, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

I painted the silver on the power armor joints and bits of the helmet and gunmetal on nine marines. Then I washed over them in black. Somehow, this took me three hours. I put them together and primed and put a Castellan Green base coat on them a year ago. And I started so late in the evening that I had to stop so I could go to bed because I have to be up at 5 AM to get to work (yay groundskeeping).

If that's not slow, then it sure felt like I didn't do poo poo.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

fnordcircle posted:

Thanks for the reply!

I think for now I"m gonna leave the arms off but I'll play my first game with that load out you suggested.

I have 10 termies/paladins. Why do you recommend running them as Terminators instead of Paladins?

First off because you're going to need at least one Troops choice and Termies are hands-down better than power armor for the points. (No worries if you have some, Purifiers are rockin')

Secondly it's hard to to get enough work out of the Paladins to justify the extra points. They've still got a place - I run three just to give Librarians FnP against Perils - but Terminators are going to be in pretty much EVERY GK list.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
On the subject of GK, I went and got the Dreamforge 15mm Leviathan and the 5-man pack of Valkyr Assault Troopers during the May sale with the full intent of using them as an allied detachment. I know the power armor GK are pretty naff, but I'm either going to run them bare-bones to fulfill the troop tax just for a Librarian and Dreadknight, or make them Purifiers and slap'em in a drop pod (or Purgations if I'm feeling extra salty).

That aside, and probably the more important factor, is this: I'm lost as to what color scheme to paint them in. The regular ol' silver scheme is boring and overdone, and I don't really want to do pre-Daemonhunters black since that's also kind of dull (and I have painted SO many black power armor over the years). I've been tempted to do red, but my regular opponent is colorblind to red and I like to keep things like that in mind for mutual enjoyment.

So uh, any suggestions?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm just painting mine old school medium grey. I looks pretty good with the gold actually.
How are you going to run your leviathan? I'm torn on look of the sword, but it's hard to find a good replacement.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

HardCoil posted:

I'm just painting mine old school medium grey. I looks pretty good with the gold actually.
How are you going to run your leviathan? I'm torn on look of the sword, but it's hard to find a good replacement.

I'm going to glue a spare Redeemer flamer on the arm portion, but otherwise probably as-is. I like the sword well enough, and if I find something more suitable I can always just replace it since it twists on and off so easily.

If you don't like it though, you could probably just find the Dreadknight sword on ebay and slap that on instead.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

who's ready for some warhammer

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Break out those alphabet tiles instead and you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

It looks great, but have you thought of using weathering powders on the drop pod? Some black carbon on the bottom will give it that burnt re-entry look that will match the flames.

• Locked thread