Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Man, Fiesta is getting closer and closer. Anyone have plans for the streamed run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
My plan is to drink heavily.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

StrangeAeon posted:

Man, Fiesta is getting closer and closer. Anyone have plans for the streamed run?

MST3K the gently caress out of it in IRC and hopefully add to .dd.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ready to roll!

By the way, if I recall correctly changing the battle speed only affects enemies and not your party, is that right? So it's best to set it to the slowest speed?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Shinryu will just be throwing repetitions at it, since you'd ideally want only one person reflected (probably the Dragoon?) and you need to hope that your released Mammon hits them with Berserk which reflects to Shinryu.
Going back to this, I'm having trouble finding Mammon in the third world. According to the unofficial official sources it's only found in the Great Forest of Moore, and that's apparently unavailable to me. (Thanks for the bit about Omega; he went down like a chump.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

Going back to this, I'm having trouble finding Mammon in the third world. According to the unofficial official sources it's only found in the Great Forest of Moore, and that's apparently unavailable to me. (Thanks for the bit about Omega; he went down like a chump.)

Mammon also appears in one of the random battles on top of the dimensional castle in the Rift, where you fight Twintania.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Specifically, on the roof.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

By the way, if I recall correctly changing the battle speed only affects enemies and not your party, is that right? So it's best to set it to the slowest speed?

Battle Speed doesn't actually affect you or enemies directly - it puts in a delay when someone's ATB fills before the ATBs start filling again. It doesn't affect action queue, just how much time you have to input commands before the game starts running whether you're ready or not.

But yes. Slowest speed for sanity, highest speed if you want to play Active without actually admitting you're playing Active.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Battle Speed doesn't actually affect you or enemies directly - it puts in a delay when someone's ATB fills before the ATBs start filling again. It doesn't affect action queue, just how much time you have to input commands before the game starts running whether you're ready or not.

But yes. Slowest speed for sanity, highest speed if you want to play Active without actually admitting you're playing Active.

An understandable confusion, as affecting enemy speed is precisely what Battle Speed does in FFVI.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Trasson posted:

An understandable confusion, as affecting enemy speed is precisely what Battle Speed does in FFVI.

Haaa, I forgot that was the case.

Also, it's worth noting that the L1 Time Magic spell Drag/Speed (depending on your version) doesn't do anything except set your Battle Speed to 5 (the second slowest) for that battle. You know, something you could easily do in the menu between battles.

That spell is worthless, is what I'm saying.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

Ahh, that's what I was thinking of. I knew I didn't just imagine it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KataraniSword posted:

Haaa, I forgot that was the case.

Also, it's worth noting that the L1 Time Magic spell Drag/Speed (depending on your version) doesn't do anything except set your Battle Speed to 5 (the second slowest) for that battle. You know, something you could easily do in the menu between battles.

That spell is worthless, is what I'm saying.

That one definitely feels like they needed a third level one Time spell and had no idea what to put in there.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And thus now I've managed (barely) to kill Shinryu as well, though not without abusing the Mirage Vest glitch. What are the specifics on using that, anyway? It seems like the order of operations (ie, selecting equipped gear first vs. unequipped gear first) matters for some sort of status reset, but I'm not sure how. Sometimes it wouldn't work for me (losing me several attempts), so that seems the most likely culprit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Double post. (Thanks for the above help.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Just swap the equipment between your left and right hands. As far as I know, that's completely reliable.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

...and now I've killed Neo Exdeath as well. It could have gone better (with a third Breath Wing, and cycling Odin back into the Magic Lamp), but considering that I usually grind out all the jobs and then steamroll the game this was an accomplishment. Considering that the practice run went decently well, I'll probably change my registration to Chaos (and donate if things go pear-shaped). All in all, I'd say that Dragoon was the only real dead weight job in the set. Thief allowed me to steal so much (and run from crap I didn't like), Mystic Knight allowed me to hit vulnerabilities (or trash bosses with Flare Sword), and Beastmaster allowed me to nab any number of one-shot oddball abilities.

quote:

I #pledge $10 baseline, $10 for every completed run, $5 for every dead superboss, and $2 per question I ask of the SA thread.
Figured I should throw that part in, considering the assistance I've gotten thus far.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

NightBane posted:

That's right! For example, if I got Knight as my Wind Job, then after I get the Wind Crystal, up to when I get the Water Crystal.. Bartz, Lenna, Galuf and Faris are all Knights! Then, let's say I get the Water Crystal, and I end up with Red Mage. Only one character can change into a Red Mage. The rest must remain Knights. I hope you can see the pattern here.

Someone on the Subreddit posted a newbie FAQ that includes the above. Pretty sure that the bolded part is incorrect, yah? The mix doesn't matter as long as there's one of each? I don't visit Reddit myself and don't feel like signing up just for this.

(Also he says revenantkioku goes through and verifies every stream link submitted. I guess that's possible? Sounds unlikely, though.)

vvv Fair enough, then!

LaserShark fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 18, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

LaserShark posted:

Someone on the Subreddit posted a newbie FAQ that includes the above. Pretty sure that the bolded part is incorrect, yah? The mix doesn't matter as long as there's one of each? I don't visit Reddit myself and don't feel like signing up just for this.

(Also he says revenantkioku goes through and verifies every stream link submitted. I guess that's possible? Sounds unlikely, though.)

Yes that is incorrect, and I believe he does actually go through and verify each stream link, but I cant remember for sure.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lilli posted:

Yes that is incorrect, and I believe he does actually go through and verify each stream link, but I cant remember for sure.

He does, yeah. Mostly to make sure that A) it's a real stream page and B) so people don't like link their "stream page" as goatse or whatever.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i don't have pms and i'm at work so i don't have aim but someone should ask kewpuh for that sticky for a week or so. i'll do it when i get home if no one has by then

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LaserShark posted:

You are correct. Once you get Red Mage in his scenario you can have any mix 3 Red Mage's and 1 Knight if you so desire.

E: ^^ PM sent

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 18, 2015

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
is this the thread or are you making a new one

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
This is the thread.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kewpuh posted:

much obliged

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kewpuh posted:

You're awesome. :)

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when does this start?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

monday morning or whenever the pre-game speedrun finishes, whichever comes first

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fungah! posted:

monday morning or whenever the pre-game speedrun finishes, whichever comes first

i'm watching elmagus practice for it now and it is not going well

monk/red mage/ranger/dancer is terrible against world 2 exdeath

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

setafd posted:

When does the real pre-run start

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

When does the real pre-run start

Sunday at noon Eastern.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

setafd posted:

Someone needs to remember 750 break staffs every day. Even one judgement staff farmed would be a significant boon against Exdeath (From a RDM's magic it should be an easy 5k-6k, yeah?), even for a speedrun, and it's not like speedrunners won't take the time to, say, grind Reflect Rings so why is Metamorph any different there?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
If I want to be a super cool guy what options should I do my run with? I'm thinking random with berserker risk? Classic? Or just whatever my heart desires? I think I'm going to record each boss fight for posterity, if that matters any.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

(From a RDM's magic it should be an easy 5k-6k, yeah?)

quote:

[18:22:07] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 25 36 magic
[18:22:09] <@CarbyBot> Level 25, 36 Magic Power gives Magical M of 7

480 damage (240 power, doubled for weakness) * 7 = 3360; random variance can skew it as high as 3780.

If you get up to level 29, you get another M and push it up to 3840 base, 4320 topend.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

480 damage (240 power, doubled for weakness) * 7 = 3360; random variance can skew it as high as 3780.

If you get up to level 29, you get another M and push it up to 3840 base, 4320 topend.

Hm.

Still significantly better than anything the rest of the party is going to be doing in a single action except for a Sword Dance or !Barrage. Dunno if it's quite as worth the grind, but couldn't hurt.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't like farming Metamorphs. It can be hard to kill them before they change with their 7000 HP, and if not then you have to wait around for them to waste a turn changing and then blasting you with some annoying attack. Killing them in non-old man form won't get you the staff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't like farming Metamorphs. It can be hard to kill them before they change with their 7000 HP, and if not then you have to wait around for them to waste a turn changing and then blasting you with some annoying attack. Killing them in non-old man form won't get you the staff.

They can be put to sleep and murdered with magic (or snapped Poison Rods).

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Maaan my party's been standing outside the wind temple for days! Hurry up, Monday! :f5:

I can't wait to be assigned Monk and Red Mage for my first run ever and hate my life :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Poulpe posted:

Maaan my party's been standing outside the wind temple for days! Hurry up, Monday! :f5:

I can't wait to be assigned Monk and Red Mage for my first run ever and hate my life :allears:

You'd only start to hate your life halfway through! :yayclod:

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...

Poulpe posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

You'd only start to hate your life halfway through! :yayclod:

I played the game for the first time in my life during last year's fiesta and got monk, time mage, ranger and dancer. It wasn't thaaaaaaaaat baaaaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ladderface posted:

I played the game for the first time in my life during last year's fiesta and got monk, time mage, ranger and dancer. It wasn't thaaaaaaaaat baaaaad.

Well yeah, you had three great jobs to compensate for the one busta. :v:

• Locked thread