Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

More Best Buy pin bullshit - these ones are a pre-order bonus:

EDIT: "Pre-order offer valid from June 17–July 11. Your coupon for the 7-button set will arrive in December 2015."
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gaming-...gbR9E4ucmkhsO1g

Nice. I was definitely going to get Yo-Kai Watch, and I suppose Xenoblade. I'll go try Mario Maker on Saturday, but I don't think it's for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jarogue posted:

For people who went to the Best Buy event, how was the line if there was one?

Not anywhere near as bad as the Smash event line. I had to wait maybe half an hour, and I got to play Triforce Heroes in line and chat with a couple Nintendo reps.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When I went 2 years ago for MK8/3DWorld/Zelda/DKC:TF I remember waiting an hour before they opened, an hour to get to ply, and then by the time I left they estimated the line had a 4 hour wait time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jivjov posted:

Not anywhere near as bad as the Smash event line. I had to wait maybe half an hour, and I got to play Triforce Heroes in line and chat with a couple Nintendo reps.

Triforce Heroes single player? After Four Swords' "haha, get hosed" in that respect I'm very wary.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They have 3 3DSes tethered to a Nintendo rep that are set up to play together.

Jarogue posted:

For people who went to the Best Buy event, how was the line if there was one?

Wasn't much of a line, like 6-7 people at most, but each person got 5 minutes to play.
It's more worth it to play the Zelda demo, since they don't actually let you play with the editor functions.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

America should be getting the Mario maker bundle that includes the amiibo right? Considering amiibo craze, I'm gonna preorder the first place available in America, even if its gamestop. So please link it as soon as you see it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ineffiable posted:

America should be getting the Mario maker bundle that includes the amiibo right? Considering amiibo craze, I'm gonna preorder the first place available in America, even if its gamestop. So please link it as soon as you see it.

Yeah, but from what I hear the preorder one is the original red and brown one. If that's your jam then nice but I'm gonna take my chances and get the regular colored one, it just looks way nicer and brighter.

The 8-bit Mario Amiibo works like every other Mario amiibo but with added Super Mario Maker functionality, right?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Man, that Rive demo was pretty freakin' great!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The 8-bit Mario Amiibo works like every other Mario amiibo but with added Super Mario Maker functionality, right?

this is how it's been for character variants so far. mario, smash mario, gold mario, and silver mario are all functionally the same but games can tell which mario they are if it matters in that game. link and toon link both count as link in hyrule warriors and other games but smash can tell them apart. 8 bit should work the same way, give generic mario benefits in anything that just has those, and specific 8 bit mario benefits if a game has those.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'm a little bit confused. Amibo festival will be retail too?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Watrick posted:

I've only seen one report of it being free-to-play but it'll absolutely be at retail in some fashion, even if only as a code bundled with a bunch of plastic junk.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Watrick posted:

Retail bundle with physical copy of game, 2 Amiibo (Isabelle and her brother) and 3 Amiibo Cards

or you can just download it for free and use Animal Crossing Amiibo and Amiibo Cards you bought on their own.

in theory you could buy a pack of AC Amiibo Cards, which includes 6 cards to use, and just download and play the game with those. pretty cheap requirements to play if you go that angle.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Kelp Plankton posted:

Retail bundle with physical copy of game, 2 Amiibo (Isabelle and her brother) and 3 Amiibo Cards

or you can just download it for free and use Animal Crossing Amiibo and Amiibo Cards you bought on their own.

in theory you could buy a pack of AC Amiibo Cards, which includes 6 cards to use, and just download and play the game with those. pretty cheap requirements to play if you go that angle.

I've only seen one report of it being free-to-play but it'll absolutely be at retail in some fashion, even if only as a code bundled with a bunch of plastic junk.

Ah, that makes sense. It looks interesting and chill to say the least. If it ends up being fun, I wouldn't mind going the retail route.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Amiibo Festival kinda looks like Fortune Street which is cool. I hope I don't need a bunch of cards and amiibo to play.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zonekeeper posted:

If it's a hybrid handheld console, the thing will have to be able to render at 1080p (even if the handheld screen is a lower res) and you'd need a game format capable of storing HD assets. I don't think we'll get a repeat of UMD, and I doubt there are cartridges capable of holding enough data without costing $100 a pop. Unless this sucker is digital only (necessitating a large supply of storage) all I can imagine is a Vita 2.0 situation.

Of course, if anyone could solve those problems it's Nintendo.

What I imagine is basically a reverse Wii U: A box you plug into your TV that lets it stream 1080p from the controller, which has all of the hardware inside it. Keep the outside (because the Wii U gamepad is actually fairly ergonomic), boost the power on the inside as much as possible, and have it be all digital with hard drives that can be switched from anywhere between 16GB to 1TB (or beyond...)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Amiibo Festival kinda looks like Fortune Street which is cool. I hope I don't need a bunch of cards and amiibo to play.

you are required to have one amiibo or amiibo card per player at the very least. you scan them to pick what villager you play as.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The NX will be a console that does away with optical media. Instead, games are stored in amiibo figures.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No eXcusetonotbuyamiibo

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Zonekeeper posted:

If it's a hybrid handheld console, the thing will have to be able to render at 1080p (even if the handheld screen is a lower res) and you'd need a game format capable of storing HD assets. I don't think we'll get a repeat of UMD, and I doubt there are cartridges capable of holding enough data without costing $100 a pop. Unless this sucker is digital only (necessitating a large supply of storage) all I can imagine is a Vita 2.0 situation.

Of course, if anyone could solve those problems it's Nintendo.

32GB SD cards cost a few bucks nowadays so I'm sure they could come up with some cheap proprietary format if they wanted to.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If it's meant as a hybrid or console/portable bridge, I'd imagine something more like a truly portable version of the Wii U gamepad. Where (some) games can be temporarily downloaded to an internal SSD on a smaller gamepad and taken anywhere, probably with lower graphical quality for power consumption/practical reasons. That or some sort of On-Live style rendering over networked internet/4G, but that limits portability so much, and would likely be so rocky, I doubt they'd do it. Think of if the Hyrule Warriors on 3DS was more like a DS Download Play thing instead of a stand alone game.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If the NX is a portable Wii U gamepad, I would buy it day 1.

Holy crap I'm having way too much fun playing Splatoon. I missed last Splatfest because I was away so I'm pumped for this weekend. Meow

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Housh posted:

Holy crap I'm having way too much fun playing Splatoon. I missed last Splatfest because I was away so I'm pumped for this weekend. Meow

no you didn't this is the first splatfest

and you're gonna win the first splatfest

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

The NX will be a console that does away with optical media. Instead, games are stored in amiibo figures.

Honestly I would be okay with this :allears:.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird how everyone laughs at Nintendo being "So japanese", when I thought Sony delivered a press conference that was almost entirely geared towards their japanese audience. Outside of uncharted, Sony's BIG titles were friggin Shenmue, a remake of an ancient final fantasy title, and the last guardian.

That's like Otaku Cum Bingo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sony didn't announce much of anything for the Vita, so they are making progress.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlPpnBMdf8

Cool, a new F-Zer--

Oh.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It looks pretty cool. I'll accept it as a substitute for now.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

here's some 60fps footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97FgfJh-xY

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Those energy balls remind me of that arcade racer where weapons would drop onto your car from above, and you had to constantly collect green fuel balls.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
The racers are all companies instead of individuals. One of them is called Fulcon Capital.

C'mon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand why they keep making these drat party games. There's been like five party games, three of them board games, in the last three years, and absolutely none of them sold well or were critically well received, except the one that was bundled with the system.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

More Best Buy pin bullshit - these ones are a pre-order bonus:

EDIT: "Pre-order offer valid from June 17–July 11. Your coupon for the 7-button set will arrive in December 2015."
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gaming-...gbR9E4ucmkhsO1g

Is that... is that the list of games coming out this year? Guess I better buy Splatoon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii Party U sold a lot better than you might expect.

Animal Crossing Amiibo Party exists because:

-they already had HD versions of all the characters
-they needed a big holiday game once they knew Zelda wasn't gonna make 2015
-they needed multiple titles that were synergistic with the AC Amiibo cards

They say there'll be more to it than just the board game (but they don;t actually know what because they haven't figured it out yet).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its weird how everyone laughs at Nintendo being "So japanese", when I thought Sony delivered a press conference that was almost entirely geared towards their japanese audience. Outside of uncharted, Sony's BIG titles were friggin Shenmue, a remake of an ancient final fantasy title, and the last guardian.

That's like Otaku Cum Bingo.

Lol nobody in Japan cares about these games

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Housh posted:

You didn't miss anything. The Splatfest last week was for Japanese players only. This weekends is for Americans, and the week after for Europeans.

So I get to sit this out while everyone else fights like cats and dogs.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lol nobody in Japan cares about these games

just people who care super hard about Japan

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

Well that doesn't sound so bad. Where are you guys seeing that info? Considering people were flipping out earlier about how it was supposedly going to be a full price game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every report of the game being free-to-play is citing the same random tweet as their source. I'd wait until Nintendo gives an official confirm/deny before getting excited.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

What I imagine is basically a reverse Wii U: A box you plug into your TV that lets it stream 1080p from the controller, which has all of the hardware inside it. Keep the outside (because the Wii U gamepad is actually fairly ergonomic), boost the power on the inside as much as possible, and have it be all digital with hard drives that can be switched from anywhere between 16GB to 1TB (or beyond...)

Is there any reason hard drives are still a thing on consoles when SD cards have been (in theory) able to go up to 2TB for years now? Does the access speed make them unfeasible for more detailed games or something? Never seemed to be an issue for the flashcart I had for my original DS. I'm probably retarded and don't know some obvious answer to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jsor posted:

If it's meant as a hybrid or console/portable bridge, I'd imagine something more like a truly portable version of the Wii U gamepad. Where (some) games can be temporarily downloaded to an internal SSD on a smaller gamepad and taken anywhere, probably with lower graphical quality for power consumption/practical reasons. That or some sort of On-Live style rendering over networked internet/4G, but that limits portability so much, and would likely be so rocky, I doubt they'd do it. Think of if the Hyrule Warriors on 3DS was more like a DS Download Play thing instead of a stand alone game.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the opposite. The handheld is the focus and the console upscales the graphics for the home experience. Kind of like the Vita and PlayStation TV.

• Locked thread