Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to find out if a video was linked somewhere? Sometimes one particular part of a series has a disproportionately larger amount of views and I'm interested in that sort of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HGH posted:

I dunno if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to find out if a video was linked somewhere? Sometimes one particular part of a series has a disproportionately larger amount of views and I'm interested in that sort of stuff.

Go to the video of yours in question and click the Analytics button, on the bar that appears only for you just above the header:

The bottom left square on the analytics page shows where it is played from most, and the right shows where said traffic comes from:

Clicking on the bottom right square gives you this graph with all of the various traffic sources:

You can then click on any of the traffic sources to get the name of the site it was linked from. The bottom left square also shows similar information so try checking there as well. The number of traffic sources you have depends on the age of the video and where it has been spread around to. This dumb loving mashup I made years ago is my most viewed video by about 6,000 views and it's gained about 40 playback sources since 2013.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 18, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sweet, thanks! I was looking at the wrong part of the statistics page like an idiot.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

There's another part where you might also be able to find links to your videos. In case people didn't just share an URL but posted your video embedded, you'll want to have the left square in CJacobs shot, also just known as 'Playback locations' on your Analytics page. From there, click 'Em­bed­ded in ex­tern­al web­sites and apps'. That might or might not help. For me the top result is 'embedly.com', which just appears to be a solution for other sites to embed stuff, so I don't actually know where it came from, just that it's embedded ~somewhere~

Edit: Also, of course, the 'Sharing' thing on the Analytics page, and then 'Sharing service'. But that is possible the most worthless of all options because it only shows specific actions like copy-pasting the URL. And for some reason people are consistently able to share my videos through voodoo or something and the category 'Unknown' is at the top for me.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 18, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah, I wish it said specifically where they were embedded. I have two videos who got a ton of embedded views, one from 4chan and one from Reddit. :shepface:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who is that Let's Play guy who is super unimpressed with horror games?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

Lowtax?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Me.

Or Harshly Critical.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Unfunny Poster posted:

Most people.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Unfunny Poster posted:

Do you mean Cr1tikal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq4IQVos58

\/\/\/ EDIT: Right, sorry. I missed that bit. Here's a more appropriate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqahzYsB38

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 20, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

He said horror games.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

The Nonchalant Gamer.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Unfunny Poster posted:

slowbeef and/or Diabetus?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Wilco posted:

Do you mean Cr1tikal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq4IQVos58

\/\/\/ EDIT: Right, sorry. I missed that bit. Here's a more appropriate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqahzYsB38

Yeah this guy. It's so wonderful :allears:

Mr. Soop posted:

slowbeef and/or Diabetus?

Slowbeef made a Metal Gear Solid stream a horror experience once - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_zBvGqdxAY

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 20, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Niggurath posted:

Me.

Or Harshly Critical.

he owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJDqNjJIPs

e: whats cool about him is that isnt even a gimmick, if a game legit scares him he wont pretend it didnt. he just plays games like a functioning human being

Monicro fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 20, 2015

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have bad news guys.

Billymc has taken down some of his Tasty Tuesdays videos :(

gently caress this world. I'm leaving.

edit: Also did anyone look at the MGSV 40 minutes gameplay video from E3? I never played a MGS game because I've never owned a Play Station console, but Metal Gear has become one of my favorite series just through Chip's LP and I'm super psyched to play MGSV on the PC.

If you missed it here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ju_PhxVkig

Roaper fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 20, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of my Spec Ops videos matched copyright for one of the licensed songs, and Youtube asked me if I wanted to SHARE the revenue with the claimant because it thought it was a cover song. That is absolutely ridiculous. If your COVER of a song triggers copyright detection, they can still file a claim. It's almost more insulting that the option they give you is to split the revenue or have a third party content claim stuck on your account.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
They're not wrong... song covers are derivative works, and only the original copyright holder has the right to produce derivative works or grant permission for others to do so. In the United States you can get a compulsory license, but that involves paying royalties, so that puts you back in the same revenue sharing boat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is very stupid

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The more I hear about copyright laws, the less I understand them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

That is very stupid

How is it more stupid than monetizing the far more derivative work of video game footage?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

steinrokkan posted:

How is it more stupid than monetizing the far more derivative work of video game footage?

First of all, they are entirely separate forms of media and treating them with the same umbrella rules just because they're posted on the same website, while easy, is not exactly fair. And second, who said it wasn't?

It also leads to cases where the strike itself isn't even applicable. In my case I just posted about, the strike is a) on the wrong song. It's a remix of the song by the same artist on a different album; but the claim is for the original. Because of that, b) Youtube assumes it is a cover of the original song by me because their copyright claim system is even more broken now than it was before they allowed companies to allow cover song matches. It's a niche case, but even one example means the system needs to work better than it does.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 22, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't someone here get a copyright claim on 4'33''? Youtube is weird when it comes to music.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

That 4'33" thing was a joke where someone uploaded that length of copyrighted audio which then got muted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

That 4'33" thing was a joke where someone uploaded that length of copyrighted audio which then got muted.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. The copyright explicitly said it was for 4'33".

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. The copyright explicitly said it was for 4'33".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWDsD6Zs_p0 This is the video in question. It was muted at one point but not anymore. I can't recall the last video I've actually seen that had the audio muted but I don't remember it actually listing what the offending track was on the video page itself.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Well it's not Youtube, it's the music industry in general that's weird and archaic about that sort of stuff. It's a big can of worms to discuss but it all basically boils down to the music industry making sure it makes every single penny it can while giving as little possible back to musicians. You could bet that each musician (unless they're a real big name, but even then) got some fraction of a penny for each bit from each ad or play if they're lucky. It doesn't surprise me that they have pressured Youtube so much about content matching stuff. It's an industry built on making money off other people's work.

But enough of this bitter musician's rant...

Regardless it's probably not worth monetizing youtube videos unless you regularly getting 10k+ views.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

Garrand posted:

This is the video in question. It was muted at one point but not anymore. I can't recall the last video I've actually seen that had the audio muted but I don't remember it actually listing what the offending track was on the video page itself.

anilEhilated was talking about a let's play video (and so was I). I think it was JamietheD maybe?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

CJacobs posted:

anilEhilated was talking about a let's play video (and so was I). I think it was JamietheD maybe?

For some reason I missed the word 'here' in that post. Hadn't heard of anything like that from an LP but still think it's something else unless someone can really confirm.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

CJacobs posted:

JamietheD has confirmed that it happened to him. He said once or twice in one of the sandcastles

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough, I'm just used to seeing the story of the video we were talking about morphing into a bunch of stuff. Really wouldn't surprise me if youtube's copyright system would actually flag 4'33" though.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

watho posted:

Yeah, confirming it was me, on the 4th or 5th Rogue Trooper vid. That... Was an extremely weird flag to get. I only got the "joke" (Because it was someone trolling) when I realised that there isn't even much sound at the particular point it was flagging.

4 minutes, 33 loving seconds. Ha. loving. Ha.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
DSP got DDOS'd and swatted(again?).

Oh jeez you can hear it all happen.

quote:

Cop 1: That's some gamer poo poo.
Cop 2: Hell yeah it's a lot of gamer poo poo.
I wonder how much the local police like LPs.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Swatting is extremely uncool no matter who it happens to. Shame on whoever did that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, say what you will about DSP but SWATing is never acceptable, funny, nor clever.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's hosed up. I mean nobody likes DSP but swatting him is such a scummy thing to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like he says when he gets back on stream in the video, he was prepared for it to happen. It's really sad and says a lot about internet culture that he felt the NEED to be prepared for it to happen, and it speaks even more/worse that he was right to assume so, but good on him for anticipating it and dealing with it in a way that didn't get him arrested I guess.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I don't like DSP at all but props to him for responding to the cops calmly and professionally. Also kudos to the local PD for knowing exactly what was going on as soon as they saw all of his GAMER poo poo.

Whoever called it in deserves to do some time for it. Unfortunately they'll probably never be caught. :smith:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, this is something that happened more than once?
Why would someone do that? What has this guy done to deserve this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, this is something that happened more than once?
Why would someone do that? What has this guy done to deserve this?

He made a video (or a stream) that someone didn't like.

That's pretty much the cause for most SWATing, people upset over videos on the internet made by their target.

• Locked thread