Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Is it the position of posters in this thread that not only is not voting democrat morally evil, but that it's evil to same degree as the holocaust?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ4ESP9AKnM

It's not on the level of the Holocaust, but holy gently caress is the modern GOP cartoonishly awful. They've turned Christian morality into neo-liberal fag bashing horseshit. They also quote Pokemon in their campaign speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Would it be possible to charge King with perjury if it's discovered that he knew his VA eligibility would exempt him from any ACA requirements or penalties prior to the lawsuit?

I know the VA sent out something very early on to all eligible vets.

Even if you had a picture of him holding that mailer, you'd have to prove he read it, understood it, and consciously lied about it. Not gonna happen.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mdemone posted:

Even if you had a picture of him holding that mailer, you'd have to prove he read it, understood it, and consciously lied about it. Not gonna happen.

Pretty much. Add to that the fact that official guidance on the ACA has not always been the case and you get a plausible "well sure I'm exempt NOW...but what about tomorrow when the interpretation changes" also worth noting VA coverage is not necessarily comprehensive. There are limitations to what they will cover based on whether the condition is service connected or not.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Bob James posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ4ESP9AKnM

It's not on the level of the Holocaust, but holy gently caress is the modern GOP cartoonishly awful. They've turned Christian morality into neo-liberal fag bashing horseshit. They also quote Pokemon in their campaign speeches.

Hmm...I don't recall any candidates in my state participating in fag bashing. I also recall it taking a democrat president with a democrat congress over four years to repeal DADT. I also recall that the defense of marriage act was signed by a democrat after passing with bipartisan majority vote. I also recall members of Janet Howell's (democrat) campaign team stating that Patrick Forrest (republican) would push a "gay agenda" if elected. But, you know, perpetuating the "all republicans are racist homophobes" meme allows to DNC to secure the minority and gay vote without having to...you know...do anything for minorities and gays.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mdemone posted:

"Obama Administration goes after old veteran for the crime of not understanding the ACA" I mean even if the you could make the case the optics of it are so terrible that it would likely never happen.

Discendo Vox posted:

Right. Exactly. He's a rube, and there are millions of him. Singling him out for blame

He singled himself out. I yeah there might have been someone else a but it's his name on the case and he's the one showing himself to be a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat of the highest level in the NYT.

Don't worry, there is plenty of room on the gallows and if there isn't we can always find more wood and rope.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 18, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mdemone posted:

I know it isn't really provable, but there isn't any way he really didn't know that he was exempted. It wasn't just a single letter. I've received piles of mail from the VA regarding this subject not to mention the info from the IRS itself regarding ACA and the VA.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Hmm...I don't recall any candidates in my state participating in fag bashing. I also recall it taking a democrat president with a democrat congress over four years to repeal DADT. I also recall that the defense of marriage act was signed by a democrat after passing with bipartisan majority vote. I also recall members of Janet Howell's (democrat) campaign team stating that Patrick Forrest (republican) would push a "gay agenda" if elected. But, you know, perpetuating the "all republicans are racist homophobes" meme allows to DNC to secure the minority and gay vote without having to...you know...do anything for minorities and gays.

Oh wow, Democrats were the real homophobes all along :rolleyes:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Hmm...I don't recall any candidates in my state participating in fag bashing.

One of your candidates for Senate hired neo-Nazis to beat up minorities for the entertainment of others.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Just like they were the real racists all along. I mean after all, there were Democrats in the South during the Civil War and Democrats started the KKK. Why don't more people like the GOP :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The SCOTUSblog live blog of today's opinion announcements is up.

http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_18_2015

The opinions come at 10am, but the live blog is fielding questions.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Hmm...I don't recall any candidates in my state participating in fag bashing.

What state?

quote:

I also recall it taking a democrat president with a democrat congress over four years to repeal DADT.

I never said the Democratic Party's poo poo don't stink. Way to fall into team politics mentality.

quote:

I also recall that the defense of marriage act was signed by a democrat after passing with bipartisan majority vote.

I never said the Democratic Party's poo poo don't stink. Way to fall into team politics mentality.

quote:

I also recall members of Janet Howell's (democrat) campaign team stating that Patrick Forrest (republican) would push a "gay agenda" if elected.

quote:

But, you know, perpetuating the "all republicans are racist...

I didn't mention racism. But now that you bring it up...

quote:

...homophobes" meme allows to DNC to secure the minority and gay vote without having to...you know...do anything for minorities and gays.

Ah, yes. Memes are the key to the minority voters. It has nothing to do with the political shift in the '60s, immigration policy, or being staunchly against gay marriage. It's memes. Perhaps the GOP should get a scientist to develop some counter memes to get all the gay black immigrant votes.

You're really bad at this.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

quote:

I also recall members of Janet Howell's (democrat) campaign team stating that Patrick Forrest (republican) would push a "gay agenda" if elected.

Oh wow, Democrats weren't the real homophobes all along :rolleyes:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ActusRhesus posted:

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Is it the position of posters in this thread that not only is not voting democrat morally evil, but that it's evil to same degree as the holocaust?

When one side is advocating for the removal of semi affordable health care access for millions the yes, there is some "evil" include involved.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

quote:

Four -- count 'em, four -- boxes of opinions today. Maybe a lot, or maybe fat ones.
by lylden 9:55 AM
Hmm.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

How is it a team mentality to take the position both parties have issues?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Taerkar posted:

When one side is advocating for the removal of semi affordable health care access for millions the yes, there is some "evil" include involved.

So there is no valid criticism of the ACA or it's execution?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
#waitingforlyle

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ActusRhesus posted:

There are, but none of them happen to be coming from just about anyone with -R after their name.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sotomayor, in a 5-4, I wonder what Brumfield v. Cain is!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Brumfeld v. Cain vacated/remanded, 5-4 with the assholes dissenting.

silvergoose posted:

Sotomayor, in a 5-4, I wonder what Brumfield v. Cain is!

Whether a state court that considers the evidence presented at a petitioner’s penalty phase proceeding as determinative of the petitioner’s claim of mental retardation under Atkins v. Virginia has based its decision on an unreasonable determination of facts under 28 U.S.C. § 2254(d)(2); and (2) whether a state court that denies funding to an indigent petitioner who has no other means of obtaining evidence of his mental retardation has denied petitioner his “opportunity to be heard,” contrary to Atkins and Ford v. Wainwright and his constitutional right to be provided with the “basic tools” for an adequate defense, contrary to Ake v. Oklahoma.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Ugghhhh why don't you ever argue in good faith.

For someone who claims to be "in the midde" and pointing out "both teams have problems", you sure get super butthurt when people point out the Republican position on the ACA is nothing but "repeal repeal repeal"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I guess Alito can present a 9-0, that's okay. 3 year olds can have their testimony brought as evidence?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

silvergoose posted:

I guess Alito can present a 9-0, that's okay. 3 year olds can have their testimony brought as evidence?

Apparently he has one more...

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

silvergoose posted:

I don't know nothin' about this case, but as the parent of a toddler, :laffo:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mdemone posted:

Brumfeld v. Cain vacated/remanded, 5-4 with the assholes dissenting.

Whether a state court that considers the evidence presented at a petitioner’s penalty phase proceeding as determinative of the petitioner’s claim of mental retardation under Atkins v. Virginia has based its decision on an unreasonable determination of facts under 28 U.S.C. § 2254(d)(2); and (2) whether a state court that denies funding to an indigent petitioner who has no other means of obtaining evidence of his mental retardation has denied petitioner his “opportunity to be heard,” contrary to Atkins and Ford v. Wainwright and his constitutional right to be provided with the “basic tools” for an adequate defense, contrary to Ake v. Oklahoma.

Brumfeld was sentenced to death before Atkins, then produced evidence afterwards that he was retarded, and the state court basically just didn't consider the evidence at all, if I understand the backstory.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

To be fair, I'd be equally critical of arguments unfairly attacking the DNC but that never happens in the echo chamber that is DnD

And if there are valid criticisms about the law, I'm not sure advocating for repeal based on those concerns is "evil"

You can disagree with someone's political views without thinking they are literally hitler.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Brumfeld was sentenced to death before Atkins, then produced evidence afterwards that he was retarded, and the state court basically just didn't consider the evidence at all, if I understand the backstory.

Thanks for that, I realized after copy-pasting that I couldn't even parse that description. What a horrible sentence.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

silvergoose posted:

In theory, sure. But it's going to be a rare three year old that can be found competent to swear an oath.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I don't know much about this Davis v. Ayala case but it sounds like a classic "5-4 gently caress You" case.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ugghhhh why don't you ever argue in good faith.

This is an odd complaint from someone who's posts consist of 90% smug one liners targeted at intentional misinterpretations of other people's posts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just thumbed through a bit of the case and that's what it is. They basically kicked it all the way back to the original court for proper atkin's determination because it's likely that he'll meet at least 3 of the 6 marks that LA requires for someone to be legally mentally deficient.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

And if there are valid criticisms about the law, I'm not sure advocating for repeal based on those concerns is "evil"

It is if repealing the law would make exacerbate the problems brought up in those concerns.

Name one valid criticism about the law that would actually be ameliorated by repeal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"The decision is a 5-4. Alito dissents, joined by Roberts, Scalia, and Kennedy. Majority picks up Thomas."

whaaaaaaaaaat?

(license plates, holding is basically texas can refuse to make confederate slogan plates, first speech does not prevent government from choosing what to say)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
5-4 eat a bowl of dicks, confederates

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

How is it a team mentality to take the position both parties have issues?

Instead of taking the criticism of the GOP head on you started whining about the other team.

You're really bad at this.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Walker v Texas Sons of Confederate Veterans.

5-4 decision, but not who you'd think!

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Thomas! Holy crap!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:dogbutton: ahahahahahaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

How the gently caress was the license plate thing not a 9-0 blowout? I don't see how the confederates had any ground to stand on (these are things printed by the government), but I only recently started following SCOTUS happenings more closely so :shrug: