Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

There are so many dedicated dials on the XT-1 I didn't really bother outside the Q menu and 4 way buttons assigned to macro mode/auto focus settings.

I was mostly referring to the Q menu custom settings for JPG creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

accipter posted:

Anyone have any custom setting groups for the X-T1 that they especially like? I am just starting to fiddle around with them and it is a little overwhelming.

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/39o8rq/nyc_elopement_shot_on_fuji_x_classic_chrome

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MMD3 posted:

if there are enough interested people I could maybe set up a google hangout or skype chat to walk people through the basics of Lightroom at some point. It's good to see how the end to end workflow is intended to work to get a good idea of why you want to be using it and what you should be using it for.

That'd be huge.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

accipter posted:

I was mostly referring to the Q menu custom settings for JPG creation.

i like provia with +1 highlights +1 shadows, might even go +2. standard provia is usually not as contrasty as I'd like.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

New camera RAW including some improvements to .RAF color rendering, along with confirmation Adobe is working with Fuji to fix detail and edge definition rendering. :woop:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/06/camera-raw-9-1-is-now-available.html

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Fart Car '97 posted:

New camera RAW including some improvements to .RAF color rendering, along with confirmation Adobe is working with Fuji to fix detail and edge definition rendering. :woop:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/06/camera-raw-9-1-is-now-available.html
:aaa: But I think Raw is bundled with Lightroom so I guess us LR users have to wait for 6.1. :(

e: There's a June 2015 update for LR 6.1 that mentions new cameras and lens profiles. Also: when will we get Fuji lens profiles! :(

vvvvvv so it just automatically works? that's really neat!

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 16, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

:aaa: But I think Raw is bundled with Lightroom so I guess us LR users have to wait for 6.1. :(

e: There's a June 2015 update for LR 6.1 that mentions new cameras and lens profiles. Also: when will we get Fuji lens profiles! :(

Fuji lens correction is built into the .RAF files, there is no need for lens profiles in LR.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

LiquidRain posted:

vvvvvv so it just automatically works? that's really neat!

If you go to the lens correction tab you should see a message like "built in lens profile applied. click for more info" down at the bottom

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fart Car '97 posted:

Fuji lens correction is built into the .RAF files, there is no need for lens profiles in LR.

hmmm, then why does it change the image when I apply lens correction to my RAF files?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

hmmm, then why does it change the image when I apply lens correction to my RAF files?
This is only an assumption, but I'd suspect it's because at that point you're overriding the built-in settings and the software figures that you know better than it does.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
camera raw tells you when a built in lens correction profile is automatically applied. Depending on the lens and camera, it could be just CA correction or distortion as well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I don't think there are any Fuji lens profiles in LR though. I've only seen lens profiles for the X100 series. What lens correction profiles are you using?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yep, XT-1 and my Fuji lenses have "internal lens correction applied" in the lens correction profile tab in LR. Neat. :eng101:

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 17, 2015

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Chrome looks cool in classic chrome, go figure

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Classic Chrome is the only thing that made me want to spend $500 more for an X100T vs the X100S I ended up with.

My heart still regrets it sometimes. I've done the "change EXIF and set it in Lightroom" dance and it looks great, but it adds so much time to my workflow and it's just not the same.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Phone posted:

Kind of the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone have a good "Lightroom for complete and total loving morons" resource? My previous work flow was just opening stuff in Photoshop and occasionally pressing "Auto Tone" before cropping and resizing.

Phlearn is about to release a new tutorial on Lightroom. I have nothing to do with them, but I know they make great content.

http://phlearn.com/product/lightroom-101-201-bundle?awt_l=InQxM&awt_m=3YxNpFAJVerzp2w

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Saved up and now have the 40-150mm f/2.8 on the way, this time as a purchase :toot:

Seriously the lens is phenomenal and I can't recommend it enough based on how well it handled some really poo poo conditions as a rental.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Phlearn is about to release a new tutorial on Lightroom. I have nothing to do with them, but I know they make great content.

http://phlearn.com/product/lightroom-101-201-bundle?awt_l=InQxM&awt_m=3YxNpFAJVerzp2w

Just to add to this, I learned most of what I know about Lightroom from random Youtube videos. Some are better than others, but most will get you up to speed on the 'idea' of the program pretty quickly.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

... based on how well it handled some really poo poo conditions as a rental.
Are you in the US or Canada? If Canada, where in the wide world of gently caress did you find one for rental? Vistek doesn't have one, The Camera Store doesn't have one, Henry's doesn't have one. I don't even know where else to look.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The 4.0 X-T1 firmware leaked and is supposed to be all kinds of awesome. I’ll wait for an official release myself, but has there ever been a company so supportive as Fuji? Thanks Fuji!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

bobfather posted:

The 4.0 X-T1 firmware leaked and is supposed to be all kinds of awesome. I’ll wait for an official release myself, but has there ever been a company so supportive as Fuji? Thanks Fuji!

X100S :negative:

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Thanks for the pointer. I've been meaning to get and learn the basics of Lightroom and put together a basic workflow. A well put-together tutorial as opposed to spending time digging for the right youtube videos is easily worth the investment.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Isn’t it just missing classic chrome? Every other cool thing about the X100T is in hardware.

If you want classic chrome use Lightroom. I think there’s a way to use the preset with it and the X100S.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nexxai posted:

Are you in the US or Canada? If Canada, where in the wide world of gently caress did you find one for rental? Vistek doesn't have one, The Camera Store doesn't have one, Henry's doesn't have one. I don't even know where else to look.

I'm in the states, sorry :(

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

Isn’t it just missing classic chrome? Every other cool thing about the X100T is in hardware.

If you want classic chrome use Lightroom. I think there’s a way to use the preset with it and the X100S.

If the little youtube video they made isn't bullshit, this upcoming update is making an already totally acceptable xt-1 autofocus system pretty amazing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just bought Bobfather's XF23mm so I am really stoked to see how the 4.0 AF+23mm AF performs compared to the 35mm's AF, which is bad. I got really frustrated with it during a studio session last week when it was hunting for AF in perfectly normal lighting.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Fart Car '97 posted:

I just bought Bobfather's XF23mm so I am really stoked to see how the 4.0 AF+23mm AF performs compared to the 35mm's AF, which is bad. I got really frustrated with it during a studio session last week when it was hunting for AF in perfectly normal lighting.

The 23 is the same. Which is to say, excellent even pre-4.0. According to all the 4.0 rumors i’m reading though, your 35 will be completely transformed by the upcoming update!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

There's a thread on Fuji x forum that suggests they've drastically improved the focussing on the 35 too. I just wonder will it come to the xpro1, its getting a bit old now so I doubt it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aargh posted:

There's a thread on Fuji x forum that suggests they've drastically improved the focussing on the 35 too. I just wonder will it come to the xpro1, its getting a bit old now so I doubt it.

There are strong hints that the X-Pro 2 will be announced year-end, probably together with the new 35/2 lens as a weather-sealed kit. Followed by the X-T2 early next year. I really do hope Fuji decides to sell that 33mm f/1.0 lens though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If fuji makes a good 35/2 Imma have to get a XT-2. Like I love my bigass nikon but the weight not so much.

Now, any of you shoot mostly aperture prio with gated auto ISO? How is it?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

evil_bunnY posted:

If fuji makes a good 35/2 Imma have to get a XT-2. Like I love my bigass nikon but the weight not so much.

I shoot my x100(now T) basically always in aperture priority with auto ISO 200-6400. Especially on the T (and I assume the XT-?), the +/- 3 exposure comp dial fills in the rest if I want to adjust. I have the "photometry" (metering modes) in the first menu on my q button since sometimes I really quickly want to spot meter although it mostly stays on multi. That's about it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I only use aperture priority with auto ISO set at 200-6400 and have no issues at all. Pretty much perfect since I don't have to think about settings when shooting.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean it functions the exact same way AP mode with auto ISO does on any system in that it works :confused:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

If you buy a Fuji XT-1/2, you will give up your Nikon. I had a 5d3 with a bag full of Ls that I sold to switch to Fuji, and I have never looked back.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Shutter min on X100T auto ISO is only 1/125, dunno if X-T1 is the same

Other than that it's pretty much exactly the same as Nikon in that it works and you can leave the camera in A w/ auto ISO 200-6400 and just shoot

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

If you buy a Fuji XT-1/2, you will give up your Nikon. I had a 5d3 with a bag full of Ls that I sold to switch to Fuji, and I have never looked back.
I really don't mind TBH. If the DR is anywhere near what I like I'll be fine basically.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Dren posted:

Shutter min on X100T auto ISO is only 1/125, dunno if X-T1 is the same

Is this not programmable? I have my auto ISO on my X100S go to a minimum shutter speed of 1/60. I can't imagine that this feature was lost or removed.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I think it depends on the focal length on the X-T1. I swear my 35mm goes down to 1/30 but anything higher goes to 1/60.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
There's a firmware update for the a6000 out now that adds XAVC S and makes it start up appreciably more quickly!

Now I need a faster SD card for video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Geektox posted:

I think it depends on the focal length on the X-T1. I swear my 35mm goes down to 1/30 but anything higher goes to 1/60.

i can go down to 1/4 with the 56 1.2. Guess it does depend on the lens.