Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

So we can point to this picture anytime a cop justifies shooting another person because they thought their life was in danger right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

https://twitter.com/RaspberryPirate/status/611637844742811648?s=09

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

How are u posted:

He'd never have been able to do something so atrocious if he'd only had access to a 2 chamber shotgun or a bolt-action rifle.
So I don't really like or support pistol ownership because they're usually used in murders....but the prick did stop and reload several times during his shooting and you can IRL reload either of the 2 weapons you mention pretty quick too with minimal training or practice. Plenty of videos on youtube of people doing that if you care to look and don't believe me but anyways the whole magazine/weapon limiting thing isn't going to very effective at stopping murders with guns and outright bans probably aren't practical to speak about.

What you really want is better public mental health support to stop these sorts of things and perhaps legalizing some drugs to reduce gun violence in general. Its been gone over to death in previous gun control threads, sorry I didn't link one but search is giving me nothing again.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

lmao honestly not surprised

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

You people will believe anything.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Phone posted:

What if I'm a low level quadriplegic?

http://www.monkeyhelpers.org

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Rand Paul is the Petyr Baelish of America except he traded the creeper stache in for a rat's nest hat.

Rand Paul is more along the lines of Cersei. Got to where they are because of their family name and constantly fucks up because they're short-sighted yet believes they're some brilliant political chess master.

this_is_hard posted:

It's fake you dummy.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dylann-roof-plan-charleston-shooting

According to his roommate the shooter had been planning this attack for about six months, was "big into segregation" and wanted to start a civil war.

Props to the roommate for not snitching and to his dad for buying his openly racist son a loving handgun for his birthday.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Props to the roommate for not snitching and to his dad for buying his openly racist son a loving handgun for his birthday.

Maybe they were hoping he would kill himself?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

According to his roommate the shooter had been planning this attack for about six months, was "big into segregation" and wanted to start a civil war.

Literally trying to start RaHoWa but totally about religion guys.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I know that it can be hard to believe someone you know would actually go through with something like this, but seriously, why would not not tell someone. Sounds like he really did want to start RaHoWa.

And his parents aren't going to say anything to anyone. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if his parents shared his racist sentiments.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

quote:

A reporter for the Post And Courier newspaper tweeted that a man who answered the door at Roof's Eastover, South Carolina home declined to speak with reporters and told them get off his property.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
White people are proof there is no (benevolent) god.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So I don't really like or support pistol ownership because they're usually used in murders....but the prick did stop and reload several times during his shooting and you can IRL reload either of the 2 weapons you mention pretty quick too with minimal training or practice. Plenty of videos on youtube of people doing that if you care to look and don't believe me but anyways the whole magazine/weapon limiting thing isn't going to very effective at stopping murders with guns and outright bans probably aren't practical to speak about.

Yeah, capacity limits are meaningless if only due to the fact that with few exceptions, you can still get the high capacity magazines and suffer no repercussions. In MD for example you cannot buy any magazine that holds more than 10 cartridges. But I can drive 10 minutes to VA and get all the 25+ round mags I want and bring them back.

Restrictions on what the gun itself can do are stupid and worthless. Restrictions on being able to get the gun is what needs to be pushed.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

What you really want is better public mental health support to stop these sorts of things and perhaps legalizing some drugs to reduce gun violence in general. Its been gone over to death in previous gun control threads, sorry I didn't link one but search is giving me nothing again.

Eh, I actually have a hard time calling something like this a simple fact of mental illness. Everyone parrots the same cliched "you have to be crazy to commit mass murder" and I actually don't buy it most of the time. You can also commit these kinds of atrocities when blinded by hatred, which seems to fit this kid to a tee. This kind of attack, perpetuated by hate speech and right wing fear mongering, isn't something I think any amount of mental health access would have prevented. This case is a prime example of why people should push back hard against language like "Take back our country!" and dog whistle racism used for political gain. This isn't someone who lost their mind, this was someone who was convinced he needed to fight a war.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Jaunts posted:

I know that it can be hard to believe someone you know would actually go through with something like this, but seriously, why would not not tell someone. Sounds like he really did want to start RaHoWa.

lots of dumbfuck twentysomethings say a lot of things. an old bad roommate of mine swore on his grave he was going to find and seduce allison brie

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Holy lolballs

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's fake you dummy.

I want to believe

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lots of dumbfuck twentysomethings say a lot of things. an old bad roommate of mine swore on his grave he was going to find and seduce allison brie

Well seduction is legal. If he swore up and down he was going to find and murder her, maybe call someone.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Chard posted:

I want to believe

the non-pony one is the fake one. they edited it to protect themselves

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Well seduction is legal. If he swore up and down he was going to find and murder her, maybe call someone.

People like you are why we lost LF. :colbert:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

"Illegal Seduction" sounds like if some dudes in Turkey tried to start a hair metal band in the 80's and didn't get any help with the name.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mlmp08 posted:

it's understandable why people don't go running to the police every time someone they hardly know makes vague threats of violence

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Crain posted:

Eh, I actually have a hard time calling something like this a simple fact of mental illness. Everyone parrots the same cliched "you have to be crazy to commit mass murder" and I actually don't buy it most of the time. You can also commit these kinds of atrocities when blinded by hatred, which seems to fit this kid to a tee. This kind of attack, perpetuated by hate speech and right wing fear mongering, isn't something I think any amount of mental health access would have prevented. This case is a prime example of why people should push back hard against language like "Take back our country!" and dog whistle racism used for political gain. This isn't someone who lost their mind, this was someone who was convinced he needed to fight a war.

Going back to the whole "We shouldn't report mass murders because it will inspire other mass murders" line of thought, I feel like this is partially responsible for my opposition to such a concept (aside from the fact that the Internet makes this impossible). If there becomes a string of murder-sprees directed towards any vulnerable group as a result of political propaganda, wouldn't the morally correct choice be to place a spotlight on the harmful effects of said media, as well as to warn members of the vulnerable group? If the mass murder is a symptom of a corrupt aspect of our society, it seems almost criminally negligent to avoid shaming and removing this aspect, for fear of inspiring a new murderer. Ideally we would use these incidents to promote better mental health facilities (and an erosion of the social stigma surrounding them), stricter gun control laws for mentally unsound owners, less "othering" of those with contrary political opinions, and similar goals, rather than sweeping them under the rug.

To contribute to the more recent discussion, Guns aren't inherently bad, and were a large part of progressive movements for a large section of our history (ending around the time liberals/conservatives swapped gun control stances, worshiping MLK and nonviolent protests at the expense of all other motivators for the civil rights movement, and the overall rise of neoliberalism). What is bad, however, is the inconsistent and deregulated procedure for obtaining highly lethal weapons that America currently operates with. I don't think it should be controversial to anyone to say that gifting your son a handgun should not be allowed. at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it should be allowed.

The only reason why it should not be allowed is if the son is not able to legally obtain such firearm on his own.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

send both the little twits to jail. forever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a sampling of the Congressional Art Contest winners for 2015. High school students around the country participate and a winner is chosen from each Congressional District to have their artwork hung in the Capitol offices. The names below are those of the Representatives, not the artists.

"Chicken Scratch", Peter Welch (D-VT, At Large)

"Inheritance", Adam Smith (D-WA9)

"Sunset by the Sea", Danny Davis (D-IL7)

"Michael", Joyce Beatty (D-OH3)

"USA", Joe Heck (R-NV3)

"Slim Shady", Bob Brady (D-PA1)

"Sakura Blossoms", Ryan Zinke (R-MT, At Large)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Look at the house:
https://twitter.com/CynthiaRoldan/status/611581582638514176/photo/1

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it should be allowed.

The only reason why it should not be allowed is if the son is not able to legally obtain such firearm on his own.

Don't know why I'm bothering, but the son was known to have drug problems and had an arrest record for drugs prior to receiving the gun. He would not have likely been able to get one on his own.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

"Sakura Blossoms", Ryan Zinke (R-MT, At Large)

Owns

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

so what's his forums name

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

uncurable mlady posted:

so what's his forums name

Lejackal

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

dreffen posted:

Lejackal

:classiclol:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This is weird to say but the pope's been on fire on Twitter, dude's spitting some real hard truths. I wonder if any republicans will have an "are we the baddies?" revelation when they realize that they feel compelled to denounce him because his "treat others and the world better" platitudes are so contrary to current GOP policies.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tender Bender posted:

This is weird to say but the pope's been on fire on Twitter, dude's spitting some real hard truths. I wonder if any republicans will have an "are we the baddies?" revelation when they realize that they feel compelled to denounce him because his "treat others and the world better" platitudes are so contrary to current GOP policies.

What's the popes actual twitter account. I'm bad at this new, hip, young service.

(No really I'm bad at twitter, got a link?)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crain posted:

What's the popes actual twitter account. I'm bad at this new, hip, young service.

(No really I'm bad at twitter, got a link?)

https://twitter.com/pontifex

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tender Bender posted:

I've just seen a bunch of people saying this is none of the pope's business, or better, talking about how the pope is wrong about things re: faith

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I prefer https://twitter.com/pontifex_ln :hist101:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tender Bender posted:

I wonder if any republicans will have an "are we the baddies?" revelation when they realize that they feel compelled to denounce him because his "treat others and the world better" platitudes are so contrary to current GOP policies.

No.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

The religious core of the republican party is evangelical protestantism that already considers the pope the black goat of satan or w/e the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Don't know why I'm bothering, but the son was known to have drug problems and had an arrest record for drugs prior to receiving the gun. He would not have likely been able to get one on his own.

Yea, under those circumstances I think it is wholly irresponsible for his father to give him a gun, and I don't know enough to say it was criminal of him to do so- but I'd like to think it is.

I'm just saying I don't want it to be prohibited completely.

• Locked thread