Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the last stage even takes place in a theatre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Alright so I finally redeemed the code for the Witcher 3 on the PC from the Nvidia bundle. Before I start playing it though, is it going to be worth it to play through the first 2 in the series? Or should I just read up on the summaries and dive right in?

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

OAquinas posted:

There is one bit of fallout: Downwarren is still slaughtered if you free it first. Druid-tree guy is a bit pissed at them for trying to kill him on the Crones' orders. However, as you noted Anna does survive and the kids just disappear without a bit of resolution.

Downwarren is the only reason I feel bad about freeing the tree spirit.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is there a way I can get to Kaer Morhen currently if I'm at the play/theater quest point? I want dat wolf armor and it's level 14, and I'm level 17 now. I just don't see a way to Kaer Morhen. Any advice?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

cerious posted:

Alright so I finally redeemed the code for the Witcher 3 on the PC from the Nvidia bundle. Before I start playing it though, is it going to be worth it to play through the first 2 in the series? Or should I just read up on the summaries and dive right in?

As somebody who has played the other two, just jump right into 3 after reading the summaries. The other games I liked, but Witcher 3 I looooved, and the decisions that carry over don't effect much, and you can just have the game simulate carrying over a save anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

vandalism posted:

Is there a way I can get to Kaer Morhen currently if I'm at the play/theater quest point? I want dat wolf armor and it's level 14, and I'm level 17 now. I just don't see a way to Kaer Morhen. Any advice?

Nope - just gotta keep playing. It was a weird choice on their part - I think they wanted to give you a reason to explore when you do get there.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

vandalism posted:

Hm, you're not super far from Kaer Morhen, if we're talking about main quest progression. You can speed through the main quests, and be at Kaer Morhen in about 3 hours max. This does mean fast traveling, sprinting/riding everywhere, and skipping conversations, though. The first Skellige portion of the main quest is very short, in comparison to the Velen/Novigrad bits.

I'm also relatively certain you won't lock yourself out from any of the sidequests during your first trip there. Uhh maybe Yennefer's sidequest, though, but that one doesn't take too long.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

cerious posted:

I wouldn't say it's necessary. I didn't play the previous games, and besides a few little exceptions, it's not really a problem. This game gives you a pretty good idea of what all the characters are like, and there's a glossary of all the characters with stuff about them

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nope - just gotta keep playing. It was a weird choice on their part - I think they wanted to give you a reason to explore when you do get there.

What are you guys on about? I could fast travel to Kaer Morhen just fine long before the main quest took me there. Did they remove that option in a patch?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Caconym posted:

What are you guys on about? I could fast travel to Kaer Morhen just fine long before the main quest took me there. Did they remove that option in a patch?

...seriously? Man I wanted that pretty badly - are you sure? You went before Ugly Baby started? I never had a signpost.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Caconym posted:

I don't have a signpost anywhere on Kaer Morhen's map to actually travel to.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I don't have a signpost anywhere on Kaer Morhen's map to actually travel to.

I had the signpost outside the main gate, rode around a bit, but could barely handle the bears and whatnot in the area. But I'm pretty certain I did it before ever going to Skellige, by that point bears were hardly a problem any more.

ButI just checked and in my new game at level 5 I don't have it. Maybe Ugly Baby had started after all.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I just got through the battle of Kaer Morhen.

I'm about to do Matter of State. I've spoiled myself a bit so I know at some point I have to pick between Roche or Dijkstra. Dijkstra didn't help me at Kaer Morhen, Roche did. When I get to the which one will you support decision I feel like Dijkstra made the decision for me already :shrug:

Yeah, it's a very uneven end-justifies-the-means dilemma, especially since at that point the end that Dijkstra proposes isn't even all that promising. Maybe he'll manage to defend a completely free north, but maybe Nilfgaard will just manage to push through the now demoralised redanian forces, dragging out the war even longer and costing the north even more territory. Factor in the cost of giving up Roche, Ves, and Thaler, and it's just not worth it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You can't go back to Kaher Morehn until the Ugly Baby quest, late in the game. The Witcher armor sets aren't worth it to me anymore. They are end game armors and best in slot items, and you have to grind for them. Even if you go manually find the diagrams they are level gated. hell you can't even get your own school armor until you're in your late 20s, or you poop sock the main quest and skip 75% of what's cool in the game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Slashrat posted:

You're a bit off-track. The Tree Spirit quest is in the witch branch of the main questline in Velen, not the Baron's branch. Both questlines eventually merge when you've followed up on them both. Keira Metz will point you in the direction of the Crones, and through them, the tree spirit.

Ahhhh that's right Keira pointed me that way after I searched the cave for the Elf and Ciri. I had forgotten she tells you to go to the bog as well. That's why I was there talking to the Crones. I had just gotten to the part where the fetus spirit led me around last night and I guess I confused the two. I'm still killing the spirit because gently caress the orphans .

Oh also I almost entirely hosed up the Baron fetus thing because I went too far ahead of him and hte game just made it transform without warning. I at first thought it was just unavoidable but luckily I checked and just reloaded. The game is pretty damned generous actually with how much time they give you to axii it after you kill the damned wraiths.

Also, holy poo poo oils own and never run out.

Oh, and are those decoctions that give you 100% toxicity worth it? I guess if you have the buff that allows you to go over 95% it is?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah you're meant to use decoctions with points in alchemy to be able to use them + regular potions it seems. My first playthrough I focused on signs and combat so I never used one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I'm on (Final Preparations quest) Through Time and Space - and drat, I want CDPR to make a space opera game to shame Mass Effect. Some creative writing and cool variations in the environment in that little quest.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, maybe I'm totally blind but where do I start the Wolf armour questline?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, maybe I'm totally blind but where do I start the Wolf armour questline?

Same as other scavenger hunts, either buy a map from one of the blacksmiths (Hattori had one) or stumble across a diagram.

E: all the base set is in the ruined towers and buildings around Kaer Morhen

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

dyzzy posted:

Yeah you're meant to use decoctions with points in alchemy to be able to use them + regular potions it seems. My first playthrough I focused on signs and combat so I never used one.

I've used one or two when fighting a tough boss but yeah I've invested no points in Alchemy so....

Combat, Igni and mind trick tho :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question about the Isle of the Mists quest:

Are there any really important quests I can lose access to by doing the Isle of the Mists quest? It's warning me about it, but I'm wondering like: if the only assassination-related quest I've done so far was rescuing Thaler, am I missing anything when it comes to the Radovid assassination? How about the master crafters--will I lose access to the quests to unlock the master weapon and armorsmiths if I do this now? Or are they mostly earlier-game quests that I'll be locked out of?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I've used one or two when fighting a tough boss but yeah I've invested no points in Alchemy so....

Combat, Igni and mind trick tho :getin:

The skill that ups your potion meter for each recipe you have is worth slotting anyway. Unless you're a super-purist, you really only need three of the four 'sets' to be your main build skils.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Harrow posted:

Question about the Isle of the Mists quest:

Are there any really important quests I can lose access to by doing the Isle of the Mists quest? It's warning me about it, but I'm wondering like: if the only assassination-related quest I've done so far was rescuing Thaler, am I missing anything when it comes to the Radovid assassination? How about the master crafters--will I lose access to the quests to unlock the master weapon and armorsmiths if I do this now? Or are they mostly earlier-game quests that I'll be locked out of?

I suspect it's basically quests from or closely related to high-profile characters, i.e. anyone you can recruit to help you with the coming battle. The only one I failed was a Cabaret, and I had a few gray Novograd and Skellige quests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also, are Troll Mutagens super rare drops or something? I don't fight trolls often so I'm reloading constantly to make the one at the Undvik forge drop his mutagen, but he hasn't in like ten reloads so I'm starting to wonder if he can at all.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
So alchemy isn't very intuitive. If I make a decoction one time, I no longer need to collect and hoard mutagens to refill them each time I meditate? They just refill themselves? I haven't actually kept track of my herbs, but if I need to make more beast oil, do I need to collect a lot of tallow, wolfsbane? What do I need to keep picking and what will just replenish on its own once I've made it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

So alchemy isn't very intuitive. If I make a decoction one time, I no longer need to collect and hoard mutagens to refill them each time I meditate? They just refill themselves? I haven't actually kept track of my herbs, but if I need to make more beast oil, do I need to collect a lot of tallow, wolfsbane? What do I need to keep picking and what will just replenish on its own once I've made it?

Every alchemy item refills when you meditate, including bombs and decoctions, and oils don't have any limited uses at all. It only takes one unit of strong alcohol (like Alcohest or Dwarven Spirit) to refill all of your alchemy items when you meditate, so don't feel like you have to conserve them.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Make any potion / bomb / decoction once, they will automatically refill when you meditate as long as you've got strong alcohol in your inventory. The only things you need to keep collecting are the ingredients to make things you haven't made yet. This includes upgraded potions / bombs.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Are you loving kidding me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

You should, however, hoard herbs, because a lot of them are used for a lot of recipes. They tend not to be that expensive, but it's a pain to go buy a bunch of herbs whenever you get a new potion recipe.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
So all I need is 1 alcohest to refill every oil, potion, bomb, and decotion I have? I can use literally everything I've made and have it refilled with but one alcohest?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

So all I need is 1 alcohest to refill every oil, potion, bomb, and decotion I have? I can use literally everything I've made and have it refilled with but one alcohest?

Exactly. Dwarven Spirit also works, as do other strong alcohols. I've never even come close to running out and I'm running an alchemy build and have never bought any alcohol.

You don't even need alcohol for your oils. They're not consumable at all. You can use them as many times as you want forever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yup!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The secret to witcher mutations is homeopathy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

This seems dumb if you didn't play the previous game, where you needed to find the herbs every time and rebrew the potions and holy poo poo that sucked

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

This seems dumb if you didn't play the previous game, where you needed to find the herbs every time and rebrew the potions and holy poo poo that sucked

It seems dumb regardless. Oh well makes life easier. What doesn't make life easier is this wolf armor quest. I'm looking right at the other crystal I need to power up at the look out tower near KM, but I can't get it. It's like 2 feet over my head.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It seems dumb regardless. Oh well makes life easier. What doesn't make life easier is this wolf armor quest. I'm looking right at the other crystal I need to power up at the look out tower near KM, but I can't get it. It's like 2 feet over my head.

Get right under it, look up at it and you'll get the prompt to loot it. Took me a while to get because I thought I had to activate it like the other one.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Yea I got it. I wasn't standing at exactly the correct, specific angle they coded it for. drat that was irritating.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Wait decoctions refill?

I was under the impression that they were single use so I never really bothered with them :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Yeah I was saying this earlier but it's completely in intuitive and the game doesn't explain at all that it's using just one strong alcohol to replenish ALL ur poo poo. Make everything u can when u have the ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, there's no reason to not make anything when you have the chance (outside of alcoholest or White gull) since ekimmara hide use was cut down to the number of ekimmaras you'll encounter--prior to that you had to pick and choose (and not choosing Hanged Man's Venom was the bad choice). About the only thing that's a bit tricky is the Reliever decoction since you might accidentally use the lesser red/blue/green mutagens to make greater ones before you get to it.