Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Karma Monkey posted:

If my surname were Scholar, I would totally name one of my kids Rhodes, but that's the only scenario I would do it in. (And I would expect and accept my child's hatred for it.)

Only if my surname was Crazy, Moon, or Bath.

I've never heard of Sailor Bath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

bunnyofdoom posted:

I've never heard of Sailor Bath

Landlubbers call it the Pacific Ocean. ;)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Carbon Thief posted:

I had to find out if those kids are always stuck wearing dumb hipster poo poo... not quite, but the Mom's blog has tons more pretentious photos. And the kids are named Plum, Sailor, and Bird.

Okay, I saw that her kids, from oldest to youngest, go Julian, Plum, Bird(ie?), and Sailor.
The first one got a normal name and the second got an unusual, but not completely out there name. Then she hits the crazy fan of names.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think she just read To Kill A Mockingbird before having the last 2.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sailor should have a snakeskin jacket.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sailor should have a snakeskin jacket.

:golfclap:
Noice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Karma Monkey posted:

Only if my surname was Crazy, Moon, or Bath.

I was going to say 'I think you could get away with Bird if your surname is Blue', and then realized holy poo poo I think she named her daughter after her blog.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Okay, I saw that her kids, from oldest to youngest, go Julian, Plum, Bird(ie?), and Sailor.
The first one got a normal name and the second got an unusual, but not completely out there name. Then she hits the crazy fan of names.

In what world is Plum a not completely out there name? Clue?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

At least Sailor will feel at home when at the gay bar.

"Hey there Sailor :bigtran:"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

But it virtually guarantees your child will obtain an advanced degree!

Cleretic posted:

I was going to say 'I think you could get away with Bird if your surname is Blue', and then realized holy poo poo I think she named her daughter after her blog.

This makes me wonder if somewhere in the U.S. there's a child named Etsy Ross. :patriot:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Karma Monkey posted:

But it virtually guarantees your child will obtain an advanced degree!

Or becomes a steampunk hip-hop artist who performs to a room of twelve people at FuMPFest.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

In a world with people named Cherry and Apple, and Pumpkin Spice

I'd rather it be used as a nickname or even middle name, but it doesn't make me go as crosseyed as Sailor and Bird do.

Cleretic posted:

"I'm off mom"
"Bye-Bye Birdie"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bobby Digital posted:

Mario Golf

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Wait, why is the baby in the photo called Gemma then? Maybe those wacked out names are just nicknames... though that wouldn't explain why the oldest one is just Julian, I guess.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Telemaze posted:

Wait, why is the baby in the photo called Gemma then? Maybe those wacked out names are just nicknames... though that wouldn't explain why the oldest one is just Julian, I guess.

The blog and the image are two different sets of insufferable

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ohhh, thanks. I probably should've been able to figure that out.

It will be interesting to see the names of these youuneeque children's future children. I want to live to see my grandkids' friends being named Dreidel and Philomath and Wonderwoman and poo poo.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is my son pikachu

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
They will probably hate it and name their kids John and Susan and such so they don't have to go through all the "Your name is what?" bullshit they went through.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pienipple posted:

They will probably hate it and name their kids John and Susan and such so they don't have to go through all the "Your name is what?" bullshit they went through.

This is exactly how it goes. Naming is cyclical, where the plain named folk give their kids fancy and/or unique names, and THEY give their kids plain sounding names.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Volume posted:

This is my son pikachu

*changes his name by Deed Poll at age 18*

"I've evolved, Mom"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pienipple posted:

Tell that to Johnny Cash.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
If you were going to give an unusual name to your child, why not just make it the middle name?
Like, sure, going with Charles or David is quite boring, but making the first name Destry, Kyd, or Kal-el is a bit too far in the other direction. This is not even mentioning Moon Unit, Diva Thin, or Tu(Morrow).

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Met a guy today named Chase Teats. There's probably not a lot you can do to improve a name like Teats, but I wouldn't have combined it with a verb if I'd been the parents.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Postal Parcel posted:

If you were going to give an unusual name to your child, why not just make it the middle name?
Like, sure, going with Charles or David is quite boring, but making the first name Destry, Kyd, or Kal-el is a bit too far in the other direction. This is not even mentioning Moon Unit, Diva Thin, or Tu(Morrow).

If your dad is Frank Zappa then being named Moon Unit is the least of your concerns, so he gets a pass. Also if you're super famous and/or rich then you can kinda get away with it more.

If some billionaire actress wants to name her kids something stupid, well, that's going to influence society and it'll be a common name soon enough.

But you're just not special enough to get away with the same. Stick to the classics.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are so many unusual and uncommon names from all cultures that are nice but hardly used, so I have no idea why people have gone to naming their kids after random locations, superheroes, or maybe some stuff they found in the junk drawer in their kitchen. There're a lot more options between John/Jane and loving Michigan Crockpot Squirrel.

Like if you want to name your kid after a bird there's plenty of nice poo poo you could pick, why would you name them loving Birdie? Like the McDonald's character? "Oh this is my other daughter, her name is Hamburgler :sparkles:"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I hate to continue the derail but I have nowhere else to post this tidbit of information. I work at a college and here are good names Ive seen:

Heaven
Princess
Unique
Embroidery

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Telemaze posted:

There are so many unusual and uncommon names from all cultures that are nice but hardly used, so I have no idea why people have gone to naming their kids after random locations, superheroes, or maybe some stuff they found in the junk drawer in their kitchen. There're a lot more options between John/Jane and loving Michigan Crockpot Squirrel.

Dude, it's not my fault my parents were eating squirrel stew in Dearborn when they came up with my name. :argh:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
A friend found out at 16 (due to a learner's permit application) that he had no legal first or second name for some reason. His paperwork had been filed and everything, his mom had just been super indecisive about his name or something so his birth certificate just listed him as his surname only. He wound up getting to pick his middle name and chose Danger for essentially every reason you can imagine a teenager wanting that as a middle name. :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cage posted:

I hate to continue the derail but I have nowhere else to post this tidbit of information. I work at a college and here are good names Ive seen:

Heaven
Princess
Unique
Embroidery

My twin daughters, Monique and Unique. 5 dollars a shoe, that's 4 shoes.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Cage posted:

Heaven
Princess
Unique
Embroidery

Apparently you've not seen this thread.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I'm not sure how I feel about this accusation.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Dude, it's not my fault my parents were eating squirrel stew in Dearborn when they came up with my name. :argh:

Michigan Crockpot Squirrel is almost certainly in a church fundraiser cookbook somewhere in the Midwest.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Overminty posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this accusation.

I've seen this in downtown Chicago. There's also a bus stop that says you're a polka dot pattern or something. I don't understand.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Karma Monkey posted:

Met a guy today named Chase Teats. There's probably not a lot you can do to improve a name like Teats, but I wouldn't have combined it with a verb if I'd been the parents.

Hugh.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tell that to Johnny Cash.

I see what you did there.

I just combine the best of both worlds. I had a "normal" name growing up, but only one classmate ever shared it, and just for one high school class one year. I loved that so much, I made a rule when we named our kids: It can't be in the top 100 names, but it has to be "normal" (you'd be surprised how many names fit that category.

Actually, I made one other rule: Iambic meter to match our last name.

Edit for content: What the hell is Nintendo thinking with their janky-looking Metroid reveal?
http://bgr.com/2015/06/17/e3-2015-nintendo-ceo-apology/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How exactly do you think this is pronounced?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit for content: What the hell is Nintendo thinking with their janky-looking Metroid reveal?

"Look there's no way they're gonna hate it more than Other M so we can't lose"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

How exactly do you think this is pronounced?
The Wolverine, starring Huge Jackman

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

quote:

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. ‘Announce something,’ I shrieked at my computer. I’m 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I’m an empty shell.

I'M RAGEQUITTING YOU NINTENDO! :argh: hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I think he meant to type "13"