Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Nobody's pointed out the crisis that's already facing the Z-Warriors in this new series?

The Ox King's out of money!

Chichi already mentioned this when gohan was training for TB.

Please learn the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I mean, Goku has never held a job before in his life. Of course the Ox King was giving them money to live.

Though...couldn't Goku easily live off the land without money? Like, he can hunt/fish in 3 minutes, he can get all the firewood they need in less, and all that junk. He did live without touching civilization for a long, long time. I'm surprised running out of a money is an issue for him.

Answer: Chi Chi anint gonna live that way.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Covok posted:

I mean, Goku has never held a job before in his life. Of course the Ox King was giving them money to live.

Though...couldn't Goku easily live off the land without money? Like, he can hunt/fish in 3 minutes, he can get all the firewood they need in less, and all that junk. He did live without touching civilization for a long, long time. I'm surprised running out of a money is an issue for him.

They gotta pay their taxes to the dog President.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Brony Hunter posted:

They gotta pay their taxes to the dog President.

That's King dog President :smugdog:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Covok posted:

He hunts and fishes and gets firewoood, but Chi Chi wants fruit and vegetables and rice and stuff, so they need actual cash.

Wasn't Goku knowing how to drive already canon or was it filler when they were driving to have a picnic and they heard the army attacking Cell on the radio?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some Numbers posted:

He hunts and fishes and gets firewoood, but Chi Chi wants fruit and vegetables and rice and stuff, so they need actual cash.

Wasn't Goku knowing how to drive already canon or was it filler when they were driving to have a picnic and they heard the army attacking Cell on the radio?

Well the driving episode was Trunks/Android saga, so they could both be filler and still in correct sequence.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, Goku was driving in the manga at that point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Some Numbers posted:

The Son family's tragically interrupted picnic is definitely canon, the part with Goku driving and listening to the radio is the same in the manga.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a link to a Korean scan version of the first chapter of Dragonball Super.

Also have some Korean political satire featuring Dragonball parodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VkMjFugEmo
Start at 1:50.
In Korea, Kamehameha was translated as 에네르기파 or 에너지파, which mean Energy Wave. They make it a pun with 에네렐 (NLL, which stands for the Northern Limit Line).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhl8LyuiBw
Starts at 2:15.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Here's a link to a Korean scan version of the first chapter of Dragonball Super.

That takes me to an all white page.

Edit: VVV Nope, takes me to the same white page. Oh well. BTW, what's with the 9-star ball on that cover?

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 19, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh, that's strange. Might be a problem with flash? I think that happened to me when I disabled PepperFlash to use Adobe or something like that before.

Does this page work? The first link under the picture is the link to the chapter, which works for me.

I don't think it's a location thing, since I could use the site while connected to a VPN to the US.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not that Goku or Chichi needs the money, it's that Chichi is extremely old-fashioned and has very antiquated notions of what marriage and child-raising should be like, so she gets Goku to work to set a good example for the children, because that teaches character. And it has to be picking vegetables because tradition and radishes because Raditz.

Chichi is all about family values.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Dragon Ball Heroes got some new player avatars

I'm pleasantly surprised

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's strange that Goku has never tried to revive his brother with the Dragonballs. If even Vegeta can be redeemed and befriended, why not Raditz?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Who?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sonic the space armor.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

JosephWongKS posted:

It's strange that Goku has never tried to revive his brother with the Dragonballs. If even Vegeta can be redeemed and befriended, why not Raditz?

Before Resurrection "F", a rule of the Dragon Balls was that someone who had died over a year ago could not be revived. A year after the fight between Goku/Piccolo and Raditz, the Dragon Balls were used to revive Goku, thus it'd be impossible to revive Raditz even if Goku went truly mad and wanted him back.

Now that rule doesn't matter because continuity is not Toriyama's strongest point, nonetheless, apparently the rule now is that Shenlong cannot rebuild bodies after that point so Raditz would be revived with a nice hole in his chest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Senzu beans never had much aggro with that kind of thing.

Dende, either.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Before Resurrection "F", a rule of the Dragon Balls was that someone who had died over a year ago could not be revived. A year after the fight between Goku/Piccolo and Raditz, the Dragon Balls were used to revive Goku, thus it'd be impossible to revive Raditz even if Goku went truly mad and wanted him back.

Now that rule doesn't matter because continuity is not Toriyama's strongest point, nonetheless, apparently the rule now is that Shenlong cannot rebuild bodies after that point so Raditz would be revived with a nice hole in his chest.

also because they changed that rule after Dende reconstructed the dragon balls.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's kindest to Raditz that he remain forgotten, rather than remind the world of his mediocrity anew

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, Xenoverse kinda showed that his moves are some of the most powerful in the show, despite his low powerlevel, so maybe that is why Vegeta kept him around.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

JosephWongKS posted:

Raditz demonstrated multiple times that he was a cowardly, underhanded shithead, and Goku says he doesn't consider Raditz to be his brother. Vegeta kills Nappa and is obviously complicit in the deaths of four of Goku's friends, but he never really does the same sort of poo poo as Raditz. No hostages or false pleading for mercy because he's so prideful. Plus the circumstances were a little different in that Raditz was killed from a last ditch effort because there was no way Goku and Piccolo were going to win otherwise, meanwhile Vegeta's beaten bloody and crawling to his spacepod when Goku tells Krillin not to finish him off.

Plus Goku's a selfish manchild obsessed with fighting strong people so he didn't want to kill a potential rival. Raditz was just a punk-rear end loser they wound up fighting too early.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd like a Double Sunday if you know what I mean.
...Raditz should have had an ice cream theme.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I dunno, Xenoverse kinda showed that his moves are some of the most powerful in the show, despite his low powerlevel, so maybe that is why Vegeta kept him around.

A guy having strong moves in a spinoff fighting game isn't the most compelling reason I've ever heard for resurrecting a long dead character who had little presence in the story and was a two dimensional arsehole when he was around

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

also because they changed that rule after Dende reconstructed the dragon balls.

That's just the fan explanation so that everything fits nicely, the only change they mention explicitly was the one about reviving people who had already died before.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Petiso posted:

That's just the fan explanation so that everything fits nicely, the only change they mention explicitly was the one about reviving people who had already died before.

What. No that's the one thing Dende's balls can't do anymore. Three wishes, although a wish for mass ressurection takes up 2 wishes, and It can't bring back someone who's already died. At least in the Cell saga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

What. No that's the one thing Dende's balls can't do anymore. Three wishes, although a wish for mass ressurection takes up 2 wishes, and It can't bring back someone who's already died. At least in the Cell saga.

Kami's version has a 1-revival limit, Dende's does not. They were concerned about being able to revive Chiaotzu since he'd already died once, but were reassured that Porunga could do it. That's also why Krillin wasn't revived until after Namek, since they used Shenron to revive everyone Frieza (and his men) killed and Krillin was also on his second death.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Kami's version has a 1-revival limit, Dende's does not. They were concerned about being able to revive Chiaotzu since he'd already died once, but were reassured that Porunga could do it. That's also why Krillin wasn't revived until after Namek, since they used Shenron to revive everyone Frieza (and his men) killed and Krillin was also on his second death.

Yeah but Porunga's balls aren't Dende's balls

Earthling Dragon Balls posted:

When Dende became the Earth's guardian, he modified the burnt out Dragon Balls created by Kami, giving Shenron the power to grant three wishes (two wishes if one wish is used to revive a large amount of people). He chose simply modifying Kami's Dragon Balls over creating a new set because the time it would take to create a new set from scratch was far too long, especially given the imminent threat of Cell. In addition to this, Dende's dragon can grant one wish and then have the other wishes saved for a later time. This was shown in the Buu Saga, when one wish was made to revive all those killed by Majin Vegeta, and then Goku asked Shenron to save the following wishes. Therefore, only four or so months after Kid Buu's defeat, another wish was made to erase the Earthlings' memories of Buu. One obstacle that Dende could not overcome for the new set of balls is that, a person cannot be revived more than once.

You think I mean the Namekian Dragon Balls, no I mean the EARTH Dragon Balls after Dende became guardian.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is Android 16 dead or not? Like, a lot of people assume he couldn't be brought back because he was a machine, but I don't remember it ever being said.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Covok posted:

Is Android 16 dead or not? Like, a lot of people assume he couldn't be brought back because he was a machine, but I don't remember it ever being said.

They never spell out what happened to him or even if he could be resurrected or not. However when he talks to Gohan he clearly speaks like he's dying for real. ("Protect the life I loved..." :smith:)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

Yeah but Porunga's balls aren't Dende's balls

You think I mean the Namekian Dragon Balls, no I mean the EARTH Dragon Balls after Dende became guardian.

No, I know what you meant, but for some reason I completely forgot Dende's Shenron couldn't do multiple revivals. I looked up the clip of them trying to revive Goku after Cell's defeat and yeah that comes up so they suggest going to New Namek to use Porunga instead, but Goku tells them not to. I guess I forgot it never really comes up again since they use Porunga to wish everyone on Earth back during the Kid Buu fight.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They shod bring back Raditz and have toddler Pan beat him. Continue the cycle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mycot posted:

They never spell out what happened to him or even if he could be resurrected or not. However when he talks to Gohan he clearly speaks like he's dying for real. ("Protect the life I loved..." :smith:)

Well, he was dying for real. Like, Android 16 doesn't know about the dragon balls, I think. At least, it's never implied that he did. Plus, regardless, no one treats their own death in DBZ like Tien treats death in DBZA.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 19, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Covok posted:

Well, he was dying for real. Like, Android 16 doesn't know about the dragon balls, I think. At least, it's never implied that he did. Plus, regardless, no one treats their own death in DBZ like Tien treats death in DBZA.

There's actually a surprising amount of awareness about the Dragon Balls from the characters. Like in the same fight nobody (except for Vegeta) is that bothered at Future Trunks biting it and Krillin outright says it was stupid for Vegeta to freak out so much (especially since it's his first death). Even in the very beginning when Goku dies from the Raditz fight he's like "OK now bring me back, 'kay?"

I'm mostly assuming the androids have knowledge of the Dragon Balls as part of the information that's programmed into them, and I think unlike Vegeta's first death he has no reason to think that nobody will wish him back. But that's a lot iffier admittedly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It doesn't take two wishes at once to revive a bunch of people, the new dragon has the power to revive multiple people, but can grant a maximum of two wishes.

He can't revive people multiple times because Dende hosed it up.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oh right, I brainslipped, the only change mentioned was multiple wishes like the namekian ones but retaining the more than one resurrection per wish the earth ones already had.

Still, the "now people that have been dead for longer than a year can be resurrected" is never mentioned, I'm sure of that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think the only rule against "reviving in over a year" is on the mass wish. Think it bought up when Krillin and Gohan are discussing what to wish for on Namek, they consider using a wish to revive everyone killed by Raditz and Nappa, but it been a year and that wish won't work. But they can still revive individuals.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rirse posted:

I think the only rule against "reviving in over a year" is on the mass wish. Think it bought up when Krillin and Gohan are discussing what to wish for on Namek, they consider using a wish to revive everyone killed by Raditz and Nappa, but it been a year and that wish won't work. But they can still revive individuals.

Which is funny since Raditz may not have killed anyone. Sure, the farmer got shot, but he could've gotten help.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rirse posted:

Uh, Namek only happens a couple of months after they beat Vegeta at most. How'd you get "over a year?"

Also, Porunga straight can't do mass revivals, regardless of how long it's been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Some Numbers posted:

Uh, Namek only happens a couple of months after they beat Vegeta at most. How'd you get "over a year?"

Also, Porunga straight can't do mass revivals, regardless of how long it's been.

Technically Porunga has been able to do that since the end of the Buu arc.

• Locked thread