Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo always uses the weekend before Black Friday for their biggest holiday releases. Putting XCX out in a weird December slot suggests to me that they don't see it in that role. Starfox probably gets the big November 20th release.

Actually it would be a bad move to have Xenoblade go up against Final Fantasy 15 which is Square's big holiday release.

You're competing with the same demographic, and Final Fantasy 15 is a very ambitious game in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If a game is supposed to be your big holiday system-seller, then it's an even bigger mistake not to have it available on the biggest holiday shopping day of the year. But that's not what XCX is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually it would be a bad move to have Xenoblade go up against Final Fantasy 15 which is Square's big holiday release.

You're competing with the same demographic, and Final Fantasy 15 is a very ambitious game in itself.

Final Fantasy XV looks more likely to have what I liked in Xenoblade than the sequel to Xenoblade does

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Final Fantasy XV looks more likely to have what I liked in Xenoblade than the sequel to Xenoblade does

I never actually thought about it that way before but yeah you are right. I am going to be getting both games regardless but I do expect Final Fantasy 15 to scratch that Xenoblade Chronicles itch more than X does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

Bringing games to other international markets involves a lot more than just translating text and voice acting.

I remember reading about this for Diablo III. Blizzard talked about how the various languages messed with fonts and they had to be careful when translating to other languages because they had consider the font and how that would look with the games UI. Careful consideration has to be made because text in one language could look how the artists want it on one screen, and then the next the text could be in the wrong place or not show up correctly and become unreadable.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I remember reading about this for Diablo III. Blizzard talked about how the various languages messed with fonts and they had to be careful when translating to other languages because they had consider the font and how that would look with the games UI. Careful consideration has to be made because text in one language could look how the artists want it on one screen, and then the next the text could be in the wrong place or not show up correctly and become unreadable.

There is this and more when it comes to the actual development for the game. There are also database considerations to be made and a plethora of other technical junk. Then of course there is the mountain of logistics behind planning, executing, and ultimately succeeding in what one might call a "smooth launch" overseas which have nothing to do with game development itself. Marketing, sales, distribution, etc. All of this takes a lot of time and communication and decision making and head aches and someone's first born daughter needs to be sacrificed along with a sour pickle being donated to the Atari gods for it all to actually happen.

If you don't care about any of this and just want to lean on the fact that international releases happen all of the time then just shut your trap and play other games in the mean time like the rest of us.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

40 mins Treehouse gameplay, english text but no dub yet.
https://youtu.be/kKlBUFVfHM0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, I always thought the New Los Angles thing was just a name, didn't realise they were actually modelling it on the city.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Xenoblade is live again on the Treehouse stream. At the end, they're gonna show a video with some English voiceovers.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dunban posted:

Xenoblade is live again on the Treehouse stream. At the end, they're gonna show a video with some English voiceovers.

Can tell the silver hair girl is Tara Platt in the video...most since I been hearing her a lot in the Drakengard 3 LP and she sounds like Zero/Misturo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

VA sounds fine for early stuff, people expecting British VAs will be sad, but I never saw that happening considering the cast is presumably mostly anime-American.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

40 mins Treehouse gameplay, english text but no dub yet.
https://youtu.be/kKlBUFVfHM0

Digging that obvious developer Wii U that allows for the use of multiple gamepads at once.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does anyone say Skell in that video please spoil it for me.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Rirse posted:

Can tell the silver hair girl is Tara Platt in the video...most since I been hearing her a lot in the Drakengard 3 LP and she sounds like Zero/Misturo.

Yeah, I think it's her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Ib7PLKHTo

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Auughh that poo poo sucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

The voice acting? It's actually better then I expected. Like I anticipated bottom of the barrel bad voice acting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bangt7d9vGA

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Louisgod posted:

Nah it's pretty good. It just isn't as good as Xenoblade.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Let's animate our characters faces like it's 1999.

Edit; I mean the environments look really nice but it's just kind of alarming how little effort seems to have gone into the animations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

augghhh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chaltab posted:

Edit; I mean the environments look really nice but it's just kind of alarming how little effort seems to have gone into the animations.

Really this game is not that good looking period. From a distance, the environments look nice, but once you start to look up close, this game really shows how weak the Wii U hardware is. And i'm not saying I care or that this bothers me, Xenoblade X is providing the kind of JRPG that I really want to play so i'm willing to look pass it. It's just this is not an impressive looking game in 2015.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chaltab posted:

It's really weird how MonoSoft didn't give a poo poo about humans in this game. Some of the cutscenes look pretty good, but like half of anything involving your dudes on foot is pretty halfassedly animated.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The nature environments and the creatures look excellent and inspired. But everything to do with the humans, mecha, and the city ranges from boring to embarassing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Really this game is not that good looking period. From a distance, the environments look nice, but once you start to look up close, this game really shows how weak the Wii U hardware is. And i'm not saying I care or that this bothers me, Xenoblade X is providing the kind of JRPG that I really want to play so i'm willing to look pass it. It's just this is not an impressive looking game in 2015.

I still think I'll like it, but in terms of overall reception I think Nintendo gave Takahashi enough rope to hang himself again like with Gears and Saga.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Supercar Gautier posted:

The nature environments and the creatures look excellent and inspired. But everything to do with the humans, mecha, and the city ranges from boring to embarassing.

I dunno, I actually really like the mecha designs in the game, especially the late-game ones. Humans are definitely a low point, but I love the huge variety of different outfits and poo poo. The city is like... It's ok I guess. It's a city. No real pros or cons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno, I actually really like the mecha designs in the game, especially the late-game ones. Humans are definitely a low point, but I love the huge variety of different outfits and poo poo. The city is like... It's ok I guess. It's a city. No real pros or cons.

The city was really bad in that tree house presentation. They claim it was suppose to look like real life L.A. but it doesn't at all. It's empty and gigantic for no reason at all. I would have just preferred a small outpost.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think probably my biggest worry in the game is how much time you're going to have to spend running around that city.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I said come in! posted:

The city was really bad in that tree house presentation. They claim it was suppose to look like real life L.A. but it doesn't at all. It's empty and gigantic for no reason at all. I would have just preferred a small outpost.

It's empty and gigantic for good reasons, and it also apparently fills up considerably as the game goes on. From what I've seen on streams, by end-game it's extremely lively.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Voices are fine, music is fine, got used to faces, going to enjoy this video game come December.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

please tell me you're not actually this upset that people from anime space los angeles don't all have british accents.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
But how will I enjoy a game if it doesn't have bad British accents like XBC or DQ8 guys? :qq:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

But how will I enjoy a game if it doesn't have bad British accents like XBC or DQ8 guys? :qq:

cor blimey... :yikes:

i'm not saying the british voices are bad, but some people have just gotten weirdly overly-attached to them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The best voice acting in videogames i played was Xenoblade, why would i want to go to a lesser voice acting experience

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It wasn't exactly that they were British, it was that they were very well done. And because it was different to the basic American voice, it stood out more.

I will definitely say that having a silent protagonist is a step back, since I liked how Shulk was so involved in the story.

And you're also used to hearing all these characters in Japanese, so going to English is going to be a bit weird, but after a while, you'll get used to it. And since you couldn't understand what they were saying, it sounded different and unique, whereas they were only talking about whatever dumb poo poo that Japanses players find as dumb as we do.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The voice acting in X gets a huge "meh" from me. I'm glad it's good enough to not be awful, but it's nothing to write home about, it's sorta nothing.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you've seen one scene you giant baby.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

yeah I agree.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The voice acting isn't a big deal to me, but the whole game just seems kind of boring and uninspired at this point. I guess if you really dug the poo poo out of Xenoblade's side quests and like Xenosaga for some reason this poo poo must look amazing, but I really don't see the appeal anymore.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Inflammatory posted:

you've seen one scene you giant baby.

if they can't piece together a trailer with some of the characters yelling ILL KILL YOU or grunting really loudly then what the hell is even the point. There isn't one that's what

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Rirse posted:

Don't think it's her. The start of her sentences sound similar so that was the first voice actress I thought of but she doesn't have the same intonations when ending them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

The Original Xenoblade didn't even have rigged eyes, they would just switch eye textures or stretch them. The Mouth was the only thing that had bones.

• Locked thread