Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever designed Lamplight was a sadist who knew perfectly well those kids were impossible to bypass

Whoever approved Lamplight was an idealist who thought there must have been a hidden path besides the torturous official sequence.

I tried every way I could to get through the radiation rather than deal with them. They exist solely to make that one kid-friendliness perk a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

frajaq posted:

The option is prob gonna be greyed out if you don't have the perk

Maybe, but I'm thinking the main buttons are just for standard dialogue.

steinrokkan posted:

Oh now, how will skill checks work now that there's a determinate number of options for each dialogue branch? Previously there was an infinite number of options at each step.

Jeez, man. Just asking a question. No need to be a prick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On PC, I'm curious if we're going to have dialogue mapped to the number keys, or are we going to have to click on them with the mouse. One is DA Inquisition and the other is DA2.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Have they said more about how the base building will play out? No doubt, I'm gonna make Dickton but will the Raiders come to attack forever or is there some sorta goal?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SunAndSpring posted:

Jeez, man. Just asking a question. No need to be a prick.

It's not my fault your question was exceedingly retarded.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

I tried every way I could to get through the radiation rather than deal with them. They exist solely to make that one kid-friendliness perk a good idea.

Yes, that is the point of my post.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It's not my fault your question was exceedingly retarded.

They haven't shown everything about the system yet. It's fair enough to speculate about what they may or may not do. Besides, where are the options gonna go if there's more than one way to get something done? Even in 3, you could use a variety of different skills in dialogue to do one thing. If they're going full Mass Effect here, it's likely they'll add a few more buttons to the mix when there's many ways to handle something.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Personally i care about the number of buttons occupied by dialogue choices, and dont give a gently caress about actual quality of the lines, because im a gamer piece of poo poo.

It's Bethesda, the quality of the lines is already known.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SunAndSpring posted:

They haven't shown everything about the system yet. It's fair enough to speculate about what they may or may not do. Besides, where are the options gonna go if there's more than one way to get something done? Even in 3, you could use a variety of different skills in dialogue to do one thing. If they're going full Mass Effect here, it's likely they'll add a few more buttons to the mix when there's many ways to handle something.

It's fair to speculate. I speculate that every time you press a button a choir of angels will descend from the heavens to serenade you.

Makes about as much sense as your conclusions.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Fallout 3 was a fun game that I didn't get tired of and hiring iD and Bungie personnel to work on the core combat is a good thing to look forward to.

This is good. The settlement building is good. The crafting weapon mods is good. The new character creation engine is good. VATS slowing time down instead of freezing it is good.

But then they had to go and try to make it fuckin Mass Effect where your only conversation options are "Tell me more" and "I should go" and no matter what you have Competent Confident White Man In His 30s voice, even if you want to play a typically Bostonian bro-y guy or a weasely little motherfucker or a 60-year-old man or a hard-rear end ex-security officer or a nervous guy with a lisp or Wasteland Barry White or a longtime smoker or an effete scientist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Right, Mass Effect is primarily known ofr not allowing you to choose different outcomes for conversations.

Assuming you are mentally challenged.

It's not har to imagine there would be a tree of non-essential dialogue hidden under one of the base options.

What is more concerning is that apparently aiming at a NPC will activate dialogue - does it mean you can't kill major NPCs because the trigger is replaced with a talk button when you look at them?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Right, Mass Effect is primarily known ofr not allowing you to choose different outcomes for conversations.

It's not har to imagine there would be a tree of non-essential dialogue hidden under one of the base options.

What is more concerning is that apparently aiming at a NPC will activate dialogue - does it mean you can't kill major NPCs because the trigger is replaced with a talk button when you look at them?

Right trigger is still the fire key, as god intended.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Have they said more about how the base building will play out? No doubt, I'm gonna make Dickton but will the Raiders come to attack forever or is there some sorta goal?

According to recent info, Radiant AI will be used to determine things like raider attacks (not only when and where they happen but also whether they attack your town or the caravans running between them) and other meetings with NPCs.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

When did I say that? I was gonna mention the times when the Mass Effect dialogue wheel would expand from the standard three responses to include Paragon and Renegade options. I remember one quest in 2 where it had extra Paragon and Renegade options.

Don't know why you're getting so defensive over the game. I think it'll be ok, if that's what you're mad about.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SunAndSpring posted:

When did I say that? I was gonna mention the times when the Mass Effect dialogue wheel would expand from the standard three responses to include Paragon and Renegade options. I remember one quest in 2 where it had extra Paragon and Renegade options.

Don't know why you're getting so defensive over the game. I think it'll be ok, if that's what you're mad about.

Don't engage the fanboy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Don't engage the fanboy

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Make sure not to make posts in the thread for Fallout 4 towards somebody who is the wrong kind of poster, it's the worst outcome possible.

They're just different from us, the smart posters who prefer a different product made by a different company, no use trying to communicate with them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I like that there going kind of out there in terms of new outfits. I hope there's a huge variety.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Make sure not to make posts in the thread for Fallout 4 towards somebody who is the wrong kind of poster, it's the worst outcome possible.

They're just different from us, the smart posters who prefer a different product made by a different company, no use trying to communicate with them.

I just want everyone to love each other.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So now people are getting in a frenzy on other sites because they might be downgrading the visuals some. I for one am absolutely shocked a game does not look 100% like its E3 presentation. Just scandalized!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nuebot posted:

So now people are getting in a frenzy on other sites because they might be downgrading the visuals some. I for one am absolutely shocked a game does not look 100% like its E3 presentation. Just scandalized!

So they're unhappy when a game is "downgraded" without the developer saying it prior to release and they're also unhappy when a developer says it's going to happen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Once again console owners have stuffed everyone over..

I bet most console owners do 1 or some of these.. it's why they can't afford a computer

If people with consoles stopped smoking and drinking, and doing drugs, didn't buy tattoos or piercings and brought good computer stuff or just didn't buy the game.. everyone would be happy

i bet most these cheap noobs own expensive phones that aren't needed also

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sankis posted:

So they're unhappy when a game is "downgraded" without the developer saying it prior to release and they're also unhappy when a developer says it's going to happen.

People want their games to look balls-out amazing AND be loaded with epic amounts of content to the point where you can play for hundreds of hours and still not discover anything....but also don't want the game to be 100 GB on install or difficult for their computer to run.

The vast, vast majority of people criticizing technical decisions have never made a game in their life and probably have at best a bare understanding of how it works.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nuebot posted:

Fine by me, my computer is a piece of poo poo anyway hahaha ha....:smithicide:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I like that there going kind of out there in terms of new outfits. I hope there's a huge variety.

This game will be nothing if not post-apoc barbie doll dress-up.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The game didn't look that good anyway???

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nuebot posted:

That... isn't what that link says at all.

the cited article posted:

He said no other RPG today allow players to interact with objects in the world in the way that Fallout does.

The system that allows for this kind of interactivity, along with a new building system for Fallout 4, meant that Bethesda needed to dial things back in the graphics department.

"Everything that we do is a balance," Hines said. "We could make the best looking game possible, but we dial some of that back in order to allow for all of these other things."

That's... talking about the general design philosophy and apologizing for the fact that it already looks kind of unimpressive, not saying they'll make it even further unimpressive.

Honestly, sounds like their heart is in the right place. I'd rather be able to mess around with a world where the terrain and peoples faces look like clay than sit back and admire a pristine set piece.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuebot posted:

The quote has nothing to do with downgrading, but instead that that their target fidelity is one which offers good performance with the rest of the game's systems. The fact that the player can pick up, rotate, and gently caress around with almost every single object in an environment (including aspects of the game's structures) means that they can't really offer the same kind of fidelity as in a more linear and static game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The dude didn't even say anything about downgrades, he said their development was focused more on the mechanics and systems than their graphical fidelity.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Given how much space audio takes up they could remove about 13,000 lines of dialogue and use nicer assets instead. Hmm... But where are we going to find 13,000 unnecessary lines of dialogue?

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Given how much space audio takes up they could remove about 13,000 lines of dialogue and use nicer assets instead. Hmm... But where are we going to find 13,000 unnecessary lines of dialogue?

The credits are fully voiced.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
ATTN: Green Man Gaming has a voucher for 25% fallout 4 via steam

GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW

GO GET YOU SOME GOONS.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Poolparty posted:

The credits are fully voiced.

This literally makes more sense than a voiced main character

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, that is the point of my post.

I was agreeing with you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RentACop posted:

The game didn't look that good anyway???

If the graphics are so bad how did I convince my family that this was legitimate found footage:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If the graphics are so bad how did I convince my family that this was legitimate found footage:

I choose to believe that you are telling the truth, because I know people who think the movie Apollo 18 was a documentary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

This literally makes more sense than a voiced main character

Tell me you're just joking.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Thunder Moose posted:

GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW

GO GET YOU SOME GOONS.

Used this and it worked like a charm (NA/US); thanks!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Your family suffers from severe mental retardation or are fundamentalist Christians?

Forgive me, I repeat myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Thunder Moose posted:

GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW

GO GET YOU SOME GOONS.

Thanks, bro.

• Locked thread