Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

what the gently caress is this poo poo

post more cattes, losers

my runt with weird back legs who was born to a stray and spends 90% of her time on my lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Cubey posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

post more cattes, losers

my runt with weird back legs who was born to a stray and spends 90% of her time on my lap.

This is my favorite picture so far. :3: She's a looker! Nice catte too (I kid, I would hug both).

vv aaand gently caress you for bringing this onto another page, christ

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 18, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Well this just ruined that movie for me :(

I don't know anything about this movie so I youtubed a deleted scene of a pug fighting a loving bear and for the first time in my life I gasped at a film.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

please stop talking about animal torture in a thread about old video games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cubey posted:

please stop talking about animal torture in a thread about old video games

Let me tell you about animal torture, buddy.

Canine owners represent.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
hey check it out it's the most recent pictures of my game collection

not that I haven't posted pictures of it before, but this is the most recent and clean it has been. Click for full.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Caitlin posted:

hey check it out it's the most recent pictures of my game collection

not that I haven't posted pictures of it before, but this is the most recent and clean it has been. Click for full.

Your room put my room to shame. I've been working on cleaning it out, but it's slow going.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
My cat might be dead. I haven't seen it in awhile.

I bought a Turbo Grafx 16 Turbo Stick in the original box(kind of beat up) for $2. Found it at a place I bought a Hardbody pinball machine for $160.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I also have a CIB copy of Day of The Tentacle on display. It's the only PC game I have in my main display case.

Argh, meant to add this to my previous post instead of double posting.

For extra content here is what the backglass of Harbody pinball looks like.
I posted it recently in the pinball thread....

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Can a pug art? Seems like it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Those are nice shelves, Caitlin! Are they from Ikea? I want to get me some of thems. My shelving sucks atm.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Fine, I'll make it up to you all with more cat pictures.

And here's a cat in a box of Playstation games.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Your room put my room to shame. I've been working on cleaning it out, but it's slow going.

Honestly, mine is a constantly changing project, really. It evolves over time. The next step are floating shelves for the handhelds, whenever I find cash for it. Since I live alone in a one bedroom I decided to finally say "gently caress it" and just go balls out with the living room. If you can't handle it, get out my house. :nyd:

cosmicjim posted:

My cat might be dead. I haven't seen it in awhile.

I bought a Turbo Grafx 16 Turbo Stick in the original box(kind of beat up) for $2. Found it at a place I bought a Hardbody pinball machine for $160.

cosmicjim posted:

I also have a CIB copy of Day of The Tentacle on display. It's the only PC game I have in my main display case.

Argh, meant to add this to my previous post instead of double posting.

For extra content here is what the backglass of Harbody pinball looks like.
I posted it recently in the pinball thread....

I am mad jealous of the Turbo Stick deal because I reeeeeeeally want a Turbo Stick again. I had one as a kid that is gone and I loved using it for Alien Crush. :sigh: Day of the Tentacle is the best choice. The other boxes are the FC Deja Vu release, which came in a binder-like folder and The 7th Guest special edition with the Making Of on VHS. I got it for $5 when I was a teen.

Quidnose posted:

Those are nice shelves, Caitlin! Are they from Ikea? I want to get me some of thems. My shelving sucks atm.

Yes, the standard Billy bookshelf from Ikea. However, the hardware shelf is a deeper variant of the shelf that has since been discontinued (which makes getting extra shelf slats for it a pain). The other Billy probably has 3 additional shelves in it or so, I think. I have finagled it a whole lot in order to squeeze the maximum amount of storage from it. The hardware shelf is double-stacked, but behind the games are DVDs because shelves. There's also a freestanding CD shelf with my Gamecube/Wii/Wii U games on it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Did you guys know Goldeneye 007 had widescreen support? I didn't.

Unfortunately I can't get my head around forward/back/turn and up/down/strafe on the two sticks :<

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Use the Dpad/Joystick control scheme like the true pros. Or play TWINE or Perfect Dark because they both are way better than Goldeneye

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Bless my mess

(who knew that Fantasy Zone 2 had such an :emo: ending?)

(gently caress YEAAHR STAR PARODIER, you can tell that cute-em-ups are my poo poo)

(an art I made in Mario Paint while :2bong:)

(I love it when you find stuff you didn't even realize that you own, just wished I could've jumped in on that audiophile bubble)

(bonus pic of Sofie silently judging you)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

This is Paddington, my aunts catte that I looked after for uh..the better part of a year while she was in a place that couldn't have pets. He lived in my rooms because the other three people in the house were allergic. My family is weird. Anyway he really loved Sega stuff for some reason, I'd often find him sitting on top of my Dreamcast for no apparent reason, and whenever I'd play the SMD he'd wander on over and see what was happening, but he didn't seem to care for any other consoles.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pudding Huxtable posted:

(an art I made in Mario Paint while :2bong:)

RAD AS gently caress. It has such an old school demo/art/warez scene feel to it.

Did you do it with the mouse or use the D-pad (does Mario Paint even support the D-pad)?

Pudding Huxtable posted:

(bonus pic of Sofie silently judging you)

I judge right back :colbert: .

I judge this cat to be a lil' chubby cutie fluff :3: .

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cubey posted:

Pro pic. Please name the next cat acquired in this thread HuC6270A. TIA

I lied earlier... I do have a cat pic to share.

Him name Artey (pronounced "art-ee"). He was an important part of a major life-rebuild thing I had going years ago. The local SPCA had a satellite location that was literally a cattery in commercial retail space, not unlike a cat cafe, but without refreshments. They were in a little shopping center, right in between a rent-a-car and dry cleaners, and had a big backlit sign that said simply "Cats!". I went in there one busy Saturday morning and there he was, napping in his cage. His handsome colors immediately caught my eye so I said hello. He got up, stretched, and began rubbing on the cage door. I had a staff member let him out, and I sat on the floor to give him some pets. To my surprise, he immediately crawled in my lap and purred like crazy. Welp, that was easy. I was chosen.

Artey was a very very good cat. The SPCA estimated his age as 2-3 years, was picked up as a stray in a neighboring town, and had an unfortunate bout of URI that kept him out of the adoption pool for a while. When I first brought him home, he headed straight under my bed, which I was expecting. Other than me, he had the place to himself, so I laid down to take a nap and give him some time. When I woke up a couple hours later, I peered under the dust ruffle to check if he was still there, he was. I said hello. Again, he surprised me by immediately coming out from under the bed, jumped up on top of me, and started making biscuits. Welp, that was easy. After a while I showed him where the litter box was. I don't think he ever had an accident outside the box. I started him out with a big ceramic water bowl but he was always drinking from my glasses of water, so I just gave him his own - a short one so he could reach down to the bottom. I was never able to get him to eat canned food... even the good stuff. He would just lap up the sauce and leave the rest to dry out. He did like to claw at the carpet but I trained him to do the same on the cardboard of a Turbo-Scratcher (that plastic circle toy with the ball trapped in the groove). He never wanted to go outside, either. He would look when I'd open the front door, but then just stand there and look at me as if "why do I want to go out there when I can be in here with you?" So I didn't have to buy canned food, he drank out of his own water glass, always used his box properly, wasn't an escape artist and thus needed no collar, and didn't tear poo poo up... he was perfect.

Well, almost. He loved attention and pets and cuddles so much that if I got up to do something else, he would chase me and claw at my ankles, sometimes drawing blood. Minor annoyance, though. He slept with me every night - always starting out on me in between my legs, then up against my knees as I would shift to a side position. He greeted me at the door every time I came home, talking up a storm. I could have conversations with him by trying to match the pitch of his meows to my own. He was my lap buddy when I watched TV, he was my lap buddy when I was at my computer desk, he sat at the sliding glass door when I'd go out for smoke breaks, he'd loaf on my butt when I'd lay on my belly to play DS, he was my best friend. He had a bunch of silly nicknames ("Arteypants", "Mr. Stripeybutt Boogersnot", etc.). I loved him dearly.

Late 2012 he'd been vomiting a few times a week for a while and started losing weight so I took him to the vet. It wasn't good. They couldn't X-Ray his heart, lungs, or stomach because his chest was full of fluid. They pulled out 150ml of whatever it was and told me he was in advanced heart failure. "If he were a person, he'd be put on a list for a heart transplant." They told me. He then required multiple injections per day, plus a heart medicine in ear cream form because he was impossible to pill. I was supposed to feed him this Potassium Glucomate gel too, but he wouldn't eat that either. All this and multiple vet visits and diagnostics cost me a fortune. I was really stressed out. My job wasn't going well, either, so the following April I went out of town for a week to handle some of my own medical issues while my next-door neighbor watched him and give him his meds.

The day I got back, April 21st, my birthday, I wasn't home for but an hour when he cried out in pain and died in my arms. I mean, I knew it was coming, but why then? I keep his ashes with me, in a box in my closet. Sometimes I take them out and hug them. This was over two years ago, my life has fallen apart, and I haven't had a cat since, nor do I think I ever will again.

drat I'm sad now. Sorry for the :words: Hug your pets, goons.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
E: ^^^ aw hell I knew this wasn't going to be a good cat story based on the fact that it's longer than a paragraph. Go visit a rescue shelter, even without the intention of adopting. Just being around furballs gets you infected with :3: and also maybe :toxogond:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

RAD AS gently caress. It has such an old school demo/art/warez scene feel to it.

Did you do it with the mouse or use the D-pad (does Mario Paint even support the D-pad)?

I judge right back :colbert: .

I judge this cat to be a lil' chubby cutie fluff :3: .

All done with original hardware. That little mouse is pretty drat sturdy and accurate, and when combined with a fat CRT and some :420: it makes for some fun creations

And Sofie isn't chubby, that's all floof :colbert:

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 19, 2015

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Well, crap. Now I'M depressed.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Just like there was no way that Microsoft was going to sign off on virtual console releases even for things they wouldn't have directly competing products for like Battletoads and Blast Corps. It's not 1983 anymore, no one is going to license their stuff for a competing platform.

I know I already mentioned it once in the last 24 hours but I'm still aching to know the details on leaving Jetpac in DK64 on Wii U.

The Kins posted:

The story goes that Nintendo of America was down for it, but NCL got a whiff and welp.
Microsoft have worked with Nintendo in regards to Rare stuff in the past, most notably in the GBA and DS era, and apparently aren't against doing it again. Stranger things have happened in the past week alone, I guess...

One of my favorite details of the GBA/Xbox era is how Rare released more games for Nintendo hardware than Microsoft after the sale. Thanks, THQ!

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Ofecks posted:

The day I got back, April 21st, my birthday, I wasn't home for but an hour when he cried out in pain and died in my arms. I mean, I knew it was coming, but why then? I keep his ashes with me, in a box in my closet. Sometimes I take them out and hug them. This was over two years ago, my life has fallen apart, and I haven't had a cat since, nor do I think I ever will again.

drat I'm sad now. Sorry for the :words: Hug your pets, goons.

I had to have a cat put to sleep because his bladder got clogged and he couldn't get surgery because (if I understood correctly) part of his heart was fused to his chest cavity, and I watched another slowly die of a facial tumor which, again, couldn't be operated on because the cat had a heart murmur. It hurts like hell, but don't shut down the idea of owning another cat. There are other fuzzies out there who need love and it sounds like you could use their love too.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

FIRST TIME posted:

Can anyone tell me how to identify which Genesis Model 2 is the "good" one?

I have 3 of them and I only want to keep one so I'd like to know which one I should keep.

Really late on this one but..

Genesis 2's are tricky, because for sound none of them are as good as a not-VA7 Model 1 without modding and you're far more likely to get a worse video encoder than an equal or better one, since there is no way to tell without opening it, except for VA3/4.
If you're an RGB user encoder doesn't matter any, however if you're using Composite (or want to mod for S-Video) then it becomes a serious issue.

This is pretty much the summary of the thread linked by The Orange Mage with regards to Model 2s;

The "3/4 board" type (bottom vents only partially covered with the metal shield) with square cutouts in the shield (VA4) is considered acceptable because the audio is close to the Model 1 but muffled a bit and you always get the best video encoder.
The one without cutouts in the shield (VA3) has the same sound and video encoder but completely botched the support circuitry around that video encoder so it ends up among the worst of them.

The other types can only be discerned from each other by looking down the cartridge slot and seeing the pattern of board traces around the cart connector. See the thread linked above for pictures of what you are looking for.
VA2 and 2.3's can be modded to have sound as good as a Model 1 by adjusting the mixing circuit, but it's an utter crapshoot on the video encoders, "Made in China" versions (bottom sticker) are your best odds of getting a CXA1645 but still not a guarantee.
VA0, 1 and 1.8 you just don't want anything to do with at all unless you have no choice.

-----

Sorry for the shameless plug here but if anyone has a VA2/2.3 they plan to sell off, I'd like it. I'm an RGB user so I don't mind if it's a terrible video encoder version.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

I know I don't post a lot in the thread, but man I wanna post my cattes too. So I guess I will.

First off is Sasha: He was a farm kitty, the runt of the litter. When I took him to the vet, they told me that he was a girl kitty, so I decided on the name Sasha. Cue about 4 months later and Sasha is on my lap, getting as much petting as he could handle, and he got a little "happy." Turns out the vet was wrong. So now I just say that he's Eastern European. He's about 10 years old now, and unfortunately I don't have any pics of when he was little, so I guess I'll just have to post him in all his 21lb glory. He's a little crosseyed too, and it's the cutest drat thing.

Then I had Shadow: Another farm kitty, this time the vet got his sex correct. I named him Shadow since he followed me EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately he had Feline Leukemia, and passed away a couple years ago when he was only 4. Thankfully Sasha wasn't infected with it as well. He and Sasha were inseperable.

Finally, there's Pipsqueak: I got him soon after Shadow died so Sasha would still have another catte to play with. He was the runt in a litter of 4 that a friend of mine had. He got his name from both being super tiny as well as making a squeaking noise when he meows. :kimchi: He's always underfoot, and it's horribly annoying, but he lets me rub his belly so it's all good! :3:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

When did this become a post your cat thread? I thought it was about spending too much money on retrogames. :retrogames:

Speaking of retrogames, I got Street Fighter II Turbo in the mail today, I forgot how much I suck at traditional fighting games, Hadokens are hard as poo poo to do on an SNES controller.

Touché. I think the inputs for Ryu in Smash 3DS/Wii U are more forgiving or something.
v

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 19, 2015

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

When did this become a post your cat thread? I thought it was about spending too much money on retrogames. :retrogames:

Speaking of retrogames, I got Street Fighter II Turbo in the mail today, I forgot how much I suck at traditional fighting games, Hadokens are hard as poo poo to do on an SNES controller.

Sucking has more to do with it than the controller.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Discount Viscount posted:

One of my favorite details of the GBA/Xbox era is how Rare released more games for Nintendo hardware than Microsoft after the sale. Thanks, THQ!

...and now they'll have re-released more N64 games on XBone than Nintendo has on Wii U!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

...and now they'll have re-released more N64 games on XBone than Nintendo has on Wii U!

What a messed up world we live in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I already have Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on my Xbone! (I'm in the preview program which is currently doing the backwards compatibility stuff, so they're the 360 versions. And they work flawlessly by the way.)

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh fine, I'll post a shelfie along with more cats.

Yes, that is a fuckton of Japanese cat manga under the toys.

And now, MORE CATS.

This is Boo-Boo. We got him from a former co-worker, and he dragged his back foot and had developed a nasty blister. We used to put baby socks on his foot to protect it.

The welt's gone and he actually walks on the pad of his foot, but you can still tell it's not as good as his other feet.

The white fluffball is named Ivan. Guess how he got his name.

The smaller one on the right is Hobbes. It's hard to believe given how much they look alike and get along, but he's not related to Boo-Boo.

You've met Red, but not his girlfriend Gabbee.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

That time we realized that we're friends here because our interests are pretty niche and we also overwhelmingly enjoy cats. You got a problem with cats? :colbert:

I am reading every one of your stories, happy and sad. Always consider adopting, there's a fuzzy kitty waiting out there that needs a home and a warm CRT is the perfect place for them to be.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

I already have Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on my Xbone! (I'm in the preview program which is currently doing the backwards compatibility stuff, so they're the 360 versions. And they work flawlessly by the way.)

That's good to know. A steady framerate and a controller that's not terrible are enough for me to recommend those games to anyone and it'd suck if they disappeared forever.

Now let's see if Shadow Complex gets any love.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Caitlin posted:

That time we realized that we're friends here because our interests are pretty niche and we also overwhelmingly enjoy cats. You got a problem with cats? :colbert:

Nope! Cats are cute. :3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, all the games that were previously released on X360 (Banjo 1/2/3, Perfect Dark 1/2, Viva Pinata 1/2, Kameo, Jetpac Refueled) aren't ports, they run in backwards compatibility mode. You can transfer your cloud saves/gamerscore from the X360 versions, too.

Grabbed By The Ghoulies is a 1080p/60fps port with widescreen, apparently. They're not showing off the other N64 games just yet (Conker BFD, Blast Corps, Jet Fprce Gemini) but the Rare reps are saying they'll be talking about them soon and they do look to be upscaled, at the very least.

al-azad posted:

That's good to know. A steady framerate and a controller that's not terrible are enough for me to recommend those games to anyone and it'd suck if they disappeared forever.

Now let's see if Shadow Complex gets any love.

The devs (Chair) said someting about Shadow Complex 2 on the Igavania stream, didn't they? It was probably just another non-committal platitude, but still...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah, all the games that were previously released on X360 (Banjo 1/2/3, Perfect Dark 1/2, Viva Pinata 1/2, Kameo, Jetpac Refueled) aren't ports, they run in backwards compatibility mode. You can transfer your cloud saves/gamerscore from the X360 versions, too.

Grabbed By The Ghoulies is a 1080p/60fps port with widescreen, apparently. They're not showing off the other N64 games just yet (Conker BFD, Blast Corps, Jet Fprce Gemini) but the Rare reps are saying they'll be talking about them soon and they do look to be upscaled, at the very least.

The devs (Chair) said someting about Shadow Complex 2 on the Igavania stream, didn't they? It was probably just another non-committal platitude, but still...

I've been looking all over for Blast Corps footage but there's nothing yet; not even in that announcement video collage. I'm really curious to see how it looks. Emulation has always made that game look (and play, IMO) kind of bad.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of cats

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 19, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

You might want to reduce the size of the image or change the img tags to timg, that's a might big and it's causing scrolling. Also, it's hard to see your cat.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Guys, please make sure your cat pics aren't off topic. For example, mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Cats are fine and I grew up with some cool ones, but I never want to live with one again. I'm very much a dog person.

I also determined that PCSX2 is very much not for me. I tried playing DQ8 on it and the sound was all glitchy and also ever so slightly behind. None of the settings in the config guides I found around fixed it. :(

Guess I need to go get nice cables for it and whatever devices you use to capture it on PC.

• Locked thread