Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Tehan posted:

I keep seeing people complaining how grindy the game's economy is, and they pretty much inevitably go on to talk about how they do risk-free trade loops to build up capital. For the 600 echoes spent on mushroom wine to drag to the Tomb Colonies/Gaider's Mourn/Godfall to grind out a few hundred echoes, you could have bought a full cargo hold of fuel and supplies and sailed off the edge of the map and found places! Places where it's cheap or free to resupply, places with profitable quests, places you can reliably visit on your way through to pick up something to sell back home, places that'll buy your cargo for better prices than London, places you can set up spy rings for reliable and valuable intelligence, places with things to kill and loot and/or butcher.

If you've got enough liquidity to make a trade run, you've got enough to fund an expedition instead! Measure-for-measure every single trade good is dearer than fuel or supplies. The game is all but screaming at everyone to be explorers and adventurers, and people are instead choosing to be merchants and complaining that being a merchant is dull.

I think the people that started with Echo Bazaar are just so used to grinding that they don't even realize that they don't have to do it.

Have you actually completed a game? Like, achieved an ambition and retired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dongsturm posted:

Yes. I turned off perma death after the first few captains, but I collected my fathers bones and finished in a frigate with a full mansion of heirlooms and a lot of cash. I didn't cheat in anything, and only did 'trade' to fill up spare space in my hold.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Dongsturm posted:

Nope, but I do have a Dreadnought in my current game, so I could have Retired To A Life Of Luxury but I wanted to keep Unterzeeing with that character.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Yes. I turned off perma death after the first few captains, but I collected my fathers bones and finished in a frigate with a full mansion of heirlooms and a lot of cash. I didn't cheat in anything, and only did 'trade' to fill up spare space in my hold.

The zong of the zee is a little bit more grindy.

It might be possible to complete it without grinding, but you would have to make some very lucky rolls repeatedly.

I don't know how you can get 77 zee stories/tales/memories and 60+ secrets and all the artifacts, captivating treasures etc. without a grind. Especially since all that is on top of having to spend secrets on leveling stats to progress in the game.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
See, I can think of ways to get all that stuff without grinding much or at all, but that's because I've played this game way too much and know where everything is. If you don't know that, then trying to figure it out can feel like a grind in the process.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tehan posted:

I keep seeing people complaining how grindy the game's economy is, and they pretty much inevitably go on to talk about how they do risk-free trade loops to build up capital. For the 600 echoes spent on mushroom wine to drag to the Tomb Colonies/Gaider's Mourn/Godfall to grind out a few hundred echoes, you could have bought a full cargo hold of fuel and supplies and sailed off the edge of the map and found places! Places where it's cheap or free to resupply, places with profitable quests, places you can reliably visit on your way through to pick up something to sell back home, places that'll buy your cargo for better prices than London, places you can set up spy rings for reliable and valuable intelligence, places with things to kill and loot and/or butcher.

If you've got enough liquidity to make a trade run, you've got enough to fund an expedition instead! Measure-for-measure every single trade good is dearer than fuel or supplies. The game is all but screaming at everyone to be explorers and adventurers, and people are instead choosing to be merchants and complaining that being a merchant is dull.

I think the people that started with Echo Bazaar are just so used to grinding that they don't even realize that they don't have to do it.
Having played through the game with a bunch of cheatwealth, I think they are a lot closer to that, but not quite 'there'. I also have no idea how you start a spy ring.

Actually what I think would really make exploring seem cool is if you could do quests - ideally not ones that require sailing across monster-infested zee twenty times - which gave you ship parts or even entire new hulls without having to tromp to London and back four times.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 9, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You start a spy ring by talking to the Dark-Spectacled Admiral with Vital Intelligence. He'll introduce you to London's spymistress, and you can get spies from her.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Coolguye posted:

You start a spy ring by talking to the Dark-Spectacled Admiral with Vital Intelligence. He'll introduce you to London's spymistress, and you can get spies from her.

What the game doesn't explain very well is how to get a Vital Intelligence. Most people wouldn't think to right click on Strategic Information for the combine option.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah good call on that, sorry. I've done it so many times it's second nature to me at this point, but I definitely had to be told.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Coolguye posted:

Yeah good call on that, sorry. I've done it so many times it's second nature to me at this point, but I definitely had to be told.
Oh, cool. How many do you need?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
2, and you need to have some other piece of information. There are 3 options, the only one I can remember is Moves in the Great Game.

e: Zee story, maybe? Those are simple to get, at least.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
Just got this game - any way to increase the size of text without playing in a low resolution?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Pavlov posted:

See, I can think of ways to get all that stuff without grinding much or at all, but that's because I've played this game way too much and know where everything is. If you don't know that, then trying to figure it out can feel like a grind in the process.

This is a big problem with the game in general. Although I guess it gets everyone posting questions about it on the internet, which is good publicity, I suppose?

Btw where do you get a lot of zee stories from? When I was ready to retire, I had 68 Memories of Distant Shores and only 11 Zee Stories. That was my biggest issue. Ended up buying Stygian Ivory at the Khanate to trade for Tales at Whither to swap for Zee Stories at Irem. At the 2 for 1 rate, ugh That was boring.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Zea stories are the hardest of the three stories to get. If I'm remembering correctly you can trade the not-cannibal on the cannibal island 10 tales of terror and 1 wine for 10 zea stories repeatably (if he's still there). Also if for some reason you have the Unsettleing Sage from the Tireless Mechanic's quest in your hold, you can talk to him and he will trade one memory of distant shores for one Zea Story. No, the game gives you no indication that you can do this.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 12, 2015

Gitro
May 29, 2013
It's not at all quick, but you can trade recent news for a zee story at light ships. One of the sisters also gives you them I think.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gitro posted:

It's not at all quick, but you can trade recent news for a zee story at light ships. One of the sisters also gives you them I think.

The best way to get them is to kill Jillyfluer and then watch them disperse in the water. One Zee-Story every time.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Fans posted:

The best way to get them is to kill Jillyfluer and then watch them disperse in the water. One Zee-Story every time.

I thought you had to finish Visage to get Zee-stories instead of just exp?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

oscarthewilde posted:

I thought you had to finish Visage to get Zee-stories instead of just exp?

If you've done Visage you get some Exp with the Zee-Story. Without it you just get a Zee-Story.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
COGWATCH on RPS makes a deep, deep argument about how the gameplay being poo poo actually somehow makes the text adventure bits way better in comparison and thus the game is overall better for it. My comments about how, by this logic, his game experience would be improved even further if he had me to randomly kick him in the balls every now and then while he was playing the game somehow didn't make it through the moderation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Megazver posted:

COGWATCH on RPS makes a deep, deep argument about how the gameplay being poo poo actually somehow makes the text adventure bits way better in comparison and thus the game is overall better for it. My comments about how, by this logic, his game experience would be improved even further if he had me to randomly kick him in the balls every now and then while he was playing the game somehow didn't make it through the moderation.

Quinn has some hosed up opinions from time to time. His review of New Vegas is notoriously bad.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah, that argument makes no sense.

I'm the target demographic for this game. I'm in love with the world and the words.

Unfortunately, it being a roguelike, both those things are at the whims of permadeath, rng and mutually-exclusive branching paths. On top of which most of the lore is echo-gated, even if only in the form of fuel/supply costs. Meaning to actually expose yourself to the interesting bits of the game, you have to suffer through long, pointless trade runs, replays of stories with no replayability, and multiple restarts dogged by relentlessly clunky mechanics.

Stuff like the 4+ trips needed to fuel the Empire of Hands zeppelin should not exist in a video game published in the year of our lord 2015.

I don't think gameplay mechanics even have to be particularly good in a game which tries to make the experience about story and exploration. They just have to not actively distract you from those things, which right now the mechanics abjectly fail at doing.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 22, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The empire of hands fuel isn't that bad, because you can work it in to doing other things. Now the sailors of the personal island, that is a loving bore.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Speaking of badly designed mechanics, it seems someone saw fit to make docking (and the associated autosave) not immediately pause all other triggers. I now have a game where the only save is for a ship, docked, that is at the screen after a failed game-ending terror check but before it actually kills you.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Bought this on the recent GOG sale, and I have some questions. My first few captains all bought the farm rather quickly, but the one I'm playing now seems to be doing fine. Can someone explain to me how exactly heirlooms and scions work? Do they persist for all future captains, or do they only improve the next one in line? Do you have to choose between selling heirlooms and passing them on?

If all my future captains get a head-start from heirlooms, it makes sense to create them, but if they're a one-shot thing, I'd rather spend my echo on other things.

Also, I've added a bunch of you goons as contacts in Fallen London, if I missed anyone, feel free to add me:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hannibal~Rex~Esq

If someone has a kitten looking for a good home, I'd be happy to provide it.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
All your captains get a headstart from legacy advantages (eg, scion and the various +25 attribute achievements). They're permanent and in most cases you only have to get them once.

Heirlooms are something else. If you have a home, you can basically convert items worth 1,000 echoes into heirlooms that can be sold off by any current or subsequent captain for between 800 - 1,100 echoes, randomly determined. To actually pass them on though you need a will, which is not permanent and has to be bought by every captain.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

tirinal posted:

All your captains get a headstart from legacy advantages (eg, scion and the various +25 attribute achievements). They're permanent and in most cases you only have to get them once.

Heirlooms are something else. If you have a home, you can basically convert items worth 1,000 echoes into heirlooms that can be sold off by any current or subsequent captain for between 800 - 1,100 echoes, randomly determined. To actually pass them on though you need a will, which is not permanent and has to be bought by every captain.

what? I thought you need to do the whole lover storyline each time to get the scion headstart

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

what? I thought you need to do the whole lover storyline each time to get the scion headstart

Nah.

I think it was originally like that, but they patched it. You can lose scion if you piss off Salt, though.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 18, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there a good guide or equation for the relationship between speed, engine power, and ship weight?

I know higher power burns fuel faster for some sort of nebulous speed bonus but that's about it. Back in the beta days, ship weight did nothing at all so all ships turned and accelerated the same. Has there been much change since October for these mechanics?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Just picked this game up on the steam sale and it's awesome. At first I agreed with some of the comments that the movement is very slow... but as I've played more I've realized how relatively small the unterzee is. Finished my first salt lion run and took the money and bought lodgings and a will, because I can't imagine I'm going to survive much longer. After that I sailed north, went off the map, got winterscarred, nearly ran out of fuel and supplies while finding the Khantate, and barely made it back to London with 5 gold, 4hp, 2 crew, 0 food, 1 fuel, and 90 terror. At least I finally found that fungal station so I was able to turn in my first intelligence, and some ports and stuff for cash.

P.S. I also find it hilarious that there's a guy who will offer to tow you into London's port if you're juuuuust short of making it for either 100 gold or letting him take your ship and all your cargo. Writing in those little bastard touches makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 18, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Even better is when you lnow you have enough to make it so you tell him to go tow himself.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

That needs to be an actual dialog choice.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks for the kitten, MisterFuzzles!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I was wondering if it is a good idea to inherit the chart. Knowing where everything is is an advantage but then you almost never get any secrets and thus can't level your captain. Opinions?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Sekenr posted:

I was wondering if it is a good idea to inherit the chart. Knowing where everything is is an advantage but then you almost never get any secrets and thus can't level your captain. Opinions?
It's a good idea if you want your next captain to quickly dash to specific Legacy-granting objectives and promptly die afterwards. Otherwise, no.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Discovering landmarks is one of the biggest source of fragments in the entire game. And a new map configuration shakes things up. If you've always got the same one the game grows dull pretty quickly.

So I really can't justify inheriting the chart beyond, as Ephemeron says, blitzing a Legacy.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
The chart is unfortunately tied to the best stat in the game, so it depends how obscenely high the pages was of your last captain. It's possible to actually come out ahead on fragments, even without exploration bonuses.

Though if you're not exploring, I'm not sure why you're playing the game.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Oh boy. I was limping back to London from Frostfound after losing most of my crew due to random events, frequently being driven to the brink of insanity by my nightmares, and just within sight of the city, it turned out I took a snuffer on board in Venderbight. Who proceeded to kill me as I already had two wounds.

I love it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you're the sort of weirdo who actually likes the exploration part of this game then I'd recommend The Curious Expedition. Which feels a lot like Sunless Sea stripped of the Story threads but with gameplay that isn't poo poo.

You can still eat your expedition mates, so they're basically the same game.

Any word on the expansion? I want to go under the Unterzee.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Well poo poo...

I forgot that the Tireless Mechanic needed an Element of Dawn in addition to all his other crazy stuff and now I'm docked at Kingeater's port along with 14/30 crew in my 28 hull cargoship and there's a Glorious Dreadnaught patrolling the entrance.

Soon, the end may come for me, but I shall sally forth from this castle, flash my Brilliant Scintillac and cannons and carve a chapter of my own into the mythos of the zee.

Edit: A patch! The praise the godz!

Roumba fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Am I missing something or can you just let those adorable guinea pigs fill up your cargo hold with fuel and supplies and drop your terror by 50 over and over? The game went from brutally dick-punching hard to trivial, instantly. There are no more concerns and on my map the island is pretty centrally located to boot.

• Locked thread