Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lot of Catdog pics going up on Miiverse lately.

This game really is the revenge of the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

inferis posted:

is there anywhere to buy splatoon shirts in the US that aren't crappy print on demand ones? I liked the ones the dev team was wearing in the iwata asks here http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/splatoon/0/0

I'm not aware of any, but I haven't really looked. The best chance would be at the Nintendo World store in New York but it seems unlikely for such a new game. There's also a possibility that Nintendo might license some designs to a Japanese outlet (some of whose designs have been cross-licensed into Splatoon itself as KOG-brand shirts) but that doesn't indicate easy access by the American market even if that happens.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

inferis posted:

is there anywhere to buy splatoon shirts in the US that aren't crappy print on demand ones? I liked the ones the dev team was wearing in the iwata asks here http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/splatoon/0/0

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm not aware of any, but I haven't really looked. The best chance would be at the Nintendo World store in New York but it seems unlikely for such a new game. There's also a possibility that Nintendo might license some designs to a Japanese outlet (some of whose designs have been cross-licensed into Splatoon itself as KOG-brand shirts) but that doesn't indicate easy access by the American market even if that happens.

Looks like it's cross-licensed.
http://tinycartridge.com/post/119393310137/king-of-games-splatoon-tees-unf-japanese

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
For the Splatoon birthday party, I'd let them finger paint. Way less mess and they'll totally be into it. For bonus points, buy/make a gently caress ton of vanilla pudding and add food coloring. That way they can eat their own ink as well as paint with it. You can use shaving cream to a similar effect, but it, uh, doesn't taste as good.

You could also let them play with silly string, or dollar store water guns.

I'm trying to come up with poo poo that will keep you out of trouble with whoever does laundry. If you just had to color the water in the water guns, buy a pack of crayola washable markers, break them open, and leave them soaking in some water to leech the ink. That might at least wash out.

Or say gently caress it, buy each kid a white tee shirt, and let them spray each other with RIT. That depends on how much you trust them to not shoot in the eyes or mouth though.

EDIT: Holy hell you have to play Pin Moe on Annie's Hair.

EDIT 2: Just mug each kid, it'll be great.

Bean fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 19, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

There is powder paint that is completely washable which is purchase-able but pudding and leeching washable markers would be much easier to find since the powder paint is a specialty product for big events

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
In multiplayer should I constantly be paired with Japanese players? Does no one in the PNW play this game?

I'm finding it hard to earn over 700 points a game. Do you get more points for pvp or for area inked?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
For the birthday:

Food coloring in water should do you just fine. Or honestly just get like some orange and blue supersoakers and the kids can imagine the ink. They're kids. They have imaginations.

Get some water balloons (ideally of bright color balloons, the water color doesn't matter at that point)

I really loved super soakers as a kid.

Just let em go crazy on each other. Depending upon the age range, you could try to create an actual 'game' with rules, like capture the flag. Say that if you get squirted you have to run back to some tree and count to 20-Mississippi before you can go back to squirting at people. Then have a flag and say that if you get squirted you have to drop the flag. Whoever can get the flag and bring it back to their home tree wins. Boom. But if they're young that'll be too complicated and they won't care, just let them run around like headless chickens squirting at each other.

Also fun is super soakers in a pool. That way you could "squid" (swim under the water, where super soakers can't touch you) and then "kid" (pop out of the water and shoot at people with super soakers) but again age range is kinda a factor? Are these kids that are strong swimmers?

Again, the kids can imagine the colors. They're not as picky as adults are. (You wouldn't want to use food coloring in a pool)

Maybe give the kids all colored goggles as squid-gear (and to protect their eyes from squirt guns)

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

In multiplayer should I constantly be paired with Japanese players? Does no one in the PNW play this game?

I'm finding it hard to earn over 700 points a game. Do you get more points for pvp or for area inked?

In turf war, your points come from inking territory.

In ranked mode you get points for winning, and a huge bonus for kills if you win. Seems to offer almost nothing if you lose, though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Orabilis posted:

In ranked mode you get points for winning, and a huge bonus for kills if you win. Seems to offer almost nothing if you lose, though.

If you lose by a knockout you get nothing at all, which can suck big time.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
hi, just got this game yesterday and it owns, but people who use inkstrike in the last seconds of a match should all die.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Inflammatory posted:

hi, just got this game yesterday and it owns, but people who use inkstrike in the last seconds of a match should all die.

You are wrong. It is a valid tactic.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Your mom is a valid tactic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inflammatory posted:

It's amazing in Splat Zones when it can stop the other team trying desperately to hold on in Extra Time :allears:.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You know the Pokemon Varients meme that's popular on Tumblr? Well someone named Axl-fox did that for both the Inklings and Octolings:

Inklings

Octolings

And for a bonus, we have Callie and Marie as the squid species their Japanese names stem from:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

codenameFANGIO posted:

You are wrong. It is a valid tactic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_NGiCpmJY

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Lot of Catdog pics going up on Miiverse lately.

This game really is the revenge of the 90's.

catdog is a part of the 90s that should be forgotten

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
only 2 of the 7 years catdog was on the air were in the 90s

#teamdoug

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Trapped, swirling, churning.
Forever sucked down back into that horrible decade.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Gorp posted:

Trapped, swirling, churning.
Forever sucked down back into that horrible decade.

Doug was boring as gently caress

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

that show's theme song was terrible and garbage.

So why's it now stuck in my head?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Team Dr. Katz?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

#teammonsterbymistake

:smithicide:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Inflammatory posted:

Please play better so it doesn't matter if the opponent gets a few more points with a last second inkstrike. Unless of course you are team Cat, then keep doing what you were doing before.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

#teamdoug
The 90s lasted a couple years into the 2000s

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

jet set radio
crazy taxi
firefly
the first three harry potter films

the 90s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tengames posted:

Dooododooo dodooodo dooo dooodoo doodoo
Dooododooo dodooodo dooo dooodoo dododoo

Count me for team... angry beavers? Oh no, Animaniacs for sure. #TeamAnimaniacs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

#teamdoug

I think you mean #teamporkchop

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tengames posted:

Because deep down we are all terrible and garbage

#teamreality

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bluefin Depot tomorrow! https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/611781077498208256

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Just one more day before we claim Inkopolis for the Dog, friends.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i will destroy all piece of poo poo fuckers who have allied with the cat. welcome to the

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

When are we going to get three maps in rotation at a time.

seriously, 1/2 the time time you're playing the same map back to back, a 1/4 of the time thats three in a row.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zolthorg posted:

When are we going to get three maps in rotation at a time.

seriously, 1/2 the time time you're playing the same map back to back, a 1/4 of the time thats three in a row.

Maybe with Bluefin. If they did it now, you'd have one map out for a rotation while all six others are in active rotation for five sequential rotations alternating between both modes.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe with Bluefin. If they did it now, you'd have one map out for a rotation while all six others are in active rotation for five sequential rotations alternating between both modes.

Won't expect to see it until we have at least 9 maps actually. At least maybe soon we can get ranked splatzones mode playable with friends or Tower mode playable with friends. I doubt we'll ever see more rotation then 3 maps every 4 hrs per mode though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:byodood: NO OCTOPI IS NOT A PROPER PLURALIZATION DON'T DO THIS! :byodood:

Its just octopuses :spergin:

These are cool though and makes me wonder why they didn't make the multiplayer octolings versus inklings.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did someone say puses

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I believe the academic vernacular is "octopies."

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Wow, two posts for the price of one!