Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Camrath posted:

I've answered it before, but hey.. The director of Anthrocon has a cockroach 'sona, I knew a girl who had a dragonfly suit, I previously mentioned the scat-fetishist frog fur who had a vinyl frog suit, and I knew a shark transwoman towards the end of my time in the fandom. Who was also completely loving batshit insane and a real pain in the arse to deal with.

do the dog people and the shark people like form into separate gangs and fight sometimes, or is it all a mix and everyone's lumped into the same furry bucket so long as whatever you're pretending to be isn't human

what are the cliques like obvi nobody wants to hang with the baby furs or the poop guys except other baby furs and poop guys but what else if anything

BiggerJ posted:

I think you misunderstood part of what I wrote. When I said 'gaining steam', I was referring to the more recent steam-gaining of internet subcultures such as transgendered people and people with non-binary genders and sexualities. My point was that in contrast, the furries gained steam too early and too fast, got snapped at by mainstream society, and responded by becoming the insular nightmare we know today.

LGBT(etc.) isn't an internet subculture, what are you twelve

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Obdicut can you PLEASE stop making gigantic rambling posts arguing the toss about animal behavioural psychology and the semantics of what it means to "play a role" in ones life vs having a D&D character, it's really aggravating and makes you look like a pedantic tit as well as making GBS threads up a good thread about pantshitting werewolves.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

do the dog people and the shark people like form into separate gangs and fight sometime

I think it's the shark people and the strike witches fans that do that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I was gonna do a sharksona vs. jetsona thing but then I realized I have no idea if the people who want to be anthropomorphic planes/guns/whatever roll with the furries

so there's another question I guess

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why yes! There are!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Or, for the Japanese version, Mecha Musume.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

BiggerJ posted:

I think you misunderstood part of what I wrote. When I said 'gaining steam', I was referring to the more recent steam-gaining of internet subcultures such as transgendered people and people with non-binary genders and sexualities. My point was that in contrast, the furries gained steam too early and too fast, got snapped at by mainstream society, and responded by becoming the insular nightmare we know today.

No, I don't think that's the case I'm afraid.

do the dog people and the shark people like form into separate gangs and fight sometimes, or is it all a mix and everyone's lumped into the same furry bucket so long as whatever you're pretending to be isn't human

what are the cliques like obvi nobody wants to hang with the baby furs or the poop guys except other baby furs and poop guys but what else if anything

No, much as the mental image amuses me you don't get fursona-based cliques or gang-fights. Cliques tend to be more about what sort of suit you have, or what style of art, what particular fetish and so on. For example there's a type of suit made by a maker called 'Scribble' which are famously worn by 'elitist' furs, who don't tend to mingle so much with other people. These are the suits seen in the room 366 video; very high quality and with a price-tag to match. Also apparently most of the people who own them are full on fetishists. J knew a few Scribble-suit owners, but they never gave me the time of day due to me not owning a suit.

quote:

LGBT(etc.) isn't an internet subculture, what are you twelve

Indeed.

I was gonna do a sharksona vs. jetsona thing but then I realized I have no idea if the people who want to be anthropomorphic planes/guns/whatever roll with the furries

so there's another question I guess

Apparently so, though it's something I've never encountered in the UK, or at least at London or Birmingham meets. It seems to be more of an internet/art thing rather than a social/costume based one.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 18, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Camrath posted:

Apparently so, though it's something I've never encountered in the UK, or at least at London or Birmingham meets. It seems to be more of an internet/art thing rather than a social/costume based one.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fair enough, I consider myself educated. Still never seen a suit like that in person though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

From those photos, I want to hypothesize a lot of the difference in US / EU LARPers is that european groups include the people who would instead become Civil War reenactors here.

We have plenty of people doing (English) Civil War reenactment in the UK, too, though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Just got reminded of the local furries who parade around the mall in their suits from time to time or are seen at the Zombie Walk. One fellow I have to dub "the budget furry" as despite all his mates wearing at least a tail and ears, his getup is crudely hand stitched ears and tail - as in not much more than stuffed bits of fabric loosely put into shape.

Were there any like this in the London fur group and were they ever really in their own little group or is the fandom that devoted to accepting all with no issue that everyone mingles?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've been reading furtopia forums exclusively for two days straight now, and while I did found my spirit animal (it's a duck) I have to say it's depressing on a level I didn't expect before. OP your story checks out.

- People there don't really communicate, it's just a series of monologues
- Everyone admits to being a social outcast before becoming a furry
- "Everyone's a furry, they just never connected with their spirit animal"
- Terrible loving "jokes" involving sex.
- People encouraging each other with "coming out". This involves wearing a tail or collar publicly, making animal sounds.
- Aforementioned social outcasts becoming a furry and having this negatively impact their already suffering social life
- Everything about the inner animal thing is extremely superficial. Endless descriptions of fur color patterns, sticking cogs to one's face (I don't loving know)
- Claiming they don't care what society thinks despite all this
- Claiming it's about creativity
- 13 y.o. interacting with people buying mortgages, talking about their inner animal side.

quote:

1. No minors 18 and under (Anthro or human) may NOT be involved in any sexual/adult situations and activities with other adults and/or other minors anywhere on the Furtopia forums.......including the Adult forums too! This includes, but is not limited to: Art, literature, pics/videos, role playing, etc., etc. Even if a human minor turns into an anthro in a story, the character is still considered a minor, even in anthro form.

phew glad we got that covered

Vic fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 18, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

WebDog posted:

Just got reminded of the local furries who parade around the mall in their suits from time to time or are seen at the Zombie Walk. One fellow I have to dub "the budget furry" as despite all his mates wearing at least a tail and ears, his getup is crudely hand stitched ears and tail - as in not much more than stuffed bits of fabric loosely put into shape.

Were there any like this in the London fur group and were they ever really in their own little group or is the fandom that devoted to accepting all with no issue that everyone mingles?

You do get the crap suits, and they tend to be roundly mocked. Frankly, while Furry sells itself as being totally inclusive and accepting, that's total loving bullshit. I've already talked about the cliquishness and elitism of some of the suiters, but then again there are some suits that just beg for mockery and resulted in a general consensus within the fandom that they were awful.

And given this is SA, I'll stick up a few notable examples here.

and

Are both Edwolf, the person I mentioned earlier in the thread who turned up in blackface. He's severely, deeply autistic and very weird. I genuinely like to think he means no harm, but at the same point he's also been the cause of a /lot/ of drama over the years. He got the Basingstoke furs banned from their normal meeting place (a bowling alley) because he scared the kids. (There were rumours he touched up a child, but I'm /pretty/ sure that was just malicious furry gossip)

Is one of my own pictures from Confuzzled 2013. Later on, I was in the dealer's area talking to J, and commented that 'I wasn't sure if that lovely cheetah suit is serious or an attempt to troll'. Of course, the guy was standing behind me and got rather upset.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Camrath posted:

Is one of my own pictures from Confuzzled 2013. Later on, I was in the dealer's area talking to J, and commented that 'I wasn't sure if that lovely cheetah suit is serious or an attempt to troll'. Of course, the guy was standing behind me and got rather upset.

Love the bitchy judgemental look on the fox-alligator(?) in the background.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Actually I did recall in one of the other threads there was a link to Durr Suits. I'm filing this away for horror movie monster ideas.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not gonna lie, the second one of Edwolf - grumpy fat-wolf - has a look that'd be interesting as a character in a book or a film or something. Grumpy fat wolf-grandpa.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Loomer posted:

Not gonna lie, the second one of Edwolf - grumpy fat-wolf - has a look that'd be interesting as a character in a book or a film or something. Grumpy fat wolf-grandpa.

That was when the suit was fairly new. Now imagine it being matted, yellowed in parts, stained with god-knows-what and smelling like death.

You're welcome.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So roughly accurate to an actual fat, bitter grandpa then.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So, like, what's the general reaction to a suit upgrade. Are the furs usually elated because they look more like their mental image of their fursona?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I remember with the furries I met there were a reasonably sizable group of them that claimed a "hybird" fursona. As in ligers (lion/toger) wolger (wolf/tiger), etc... I can't think of any interesting ones at the momment. However I was curious if you ever ran across any especially odd hybrids.

As an aside a babyfur I played over Xbox live with a few times tried to get me to go with her to Furry Fiesta. I took a very hard pass but always joke I should have gone as a personal growth exercise.

Have you been to other non furry conventions? How would you compare them to more pedestrian ones?

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 18, 2015

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
A comment: I work at a school. They needed someone to dress in a mascot costume for the school pep rally, and o volunteered.

Holy hell I thought I was going to die. However hot you think it was, it was worse. I had to cock the head funny to be able to breathe, because I'm sure I was low on oxygen in that helmet. I took the head off later, away from the kids, and I had sweated so hard that it looked like I came up from under water. My ponytail was soaked to the tip, and it was long enough to stick out of the helmet. The school wouldn't spring for a helmet with a fan, but I'm not sure that would have helped. I think it would have just blown hot carbon dioxide and sweat in my face.

So whenever I see furries in big rear end suits, I pretty much wonder how they're still alive.

Also the fifth graders tried to beat me up.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sizone posted:

So, like, what's the general reaction to a suit upgrade. Are the furs usually elated because they look more like their mental image of their fursona?

Yeah, pretty much. Though not all suits are representive of one's fursona. J for example has three different suits- the one that I've already posted a picture of, a male dog suit she made entirely herself and a female australian shepherd suit with a commissioned head and home-made body. Generally, it's a case of either wanting to show off one's talent or one's spending power/acquisition (depending on if you make it yourself or commission a maker).

jiffypop45 posted:

I remember with the furries I met there were a reasonably sizable group of them that claimed a "hybird" fursona. As in ligers (lion/toger) wolger (wolf/tiger), etc... I can't think of any interesting ones at the momment. However I was curious if you ever ran across any especially odd hybrids.

As an aside a babyfur I played over Xbox live with a few times tried to get me to go with her to Furry Fiesta. I took a very hard pass but always joke I should have gone as a personal growth exercise.

Have you been to other non furry conventions? How would you compare them to more pedestrian ones?

I've been to a couple of gaming conventions, but really there's not a lot to compare aside from 'a lot of nerds in a building together'. As for hybrids.. well, Folfs (fox/wolf hybrids) are fairly common as fursonas, as are ligers etc. There's some stranger ones out there like a spidox (spider-fox) and so on, but not sure if that person actually has a suit or not.

Bean posted:

A comment: I work at a school. They needed someone to dress in a mascot costume for the school pep rally, and o volunteered.

Holy hell I thought I was going to die. However hot you think it was, it was worse. I had to cock the head funny to be able to breathe, because I'm sure I was low on oxygen in that helmet. I took the head off later, away from the kids, and I had sweated so hard that it looked like I came up from under water. My ponytail was soaked to the tip, and it was long enough to stick out of the helmet. The school wouldn't spring for a helmet with a fan, but I'm not sure that would have helped. I think it would have just blown hot carbon dioxide and sweat in my face.

So whenever I see furries in big rear end suits, I pretty much wonder how they're still alive.

Also the fifth graders tried to beat me up.

Yeah. That's the main reason that I never really considered suiting to be my thing. The physical discomfort involved is just too damned much. Whereas with bodypaint everything is lovely and cool and you can dance for literally hours (At EF17 I spend about seven consecutive hours dancing on one evening without a break. Stimulants may admittedly have been involved).

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
thats what you get for having a ponytail

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Bean posted:

I used to do suit characters for kid's book events when I was a bookseller. Cat in the Hat, Mama Bear, stuff like that. The rule was that every time you wore a suit, you got a free store logo shirt to wear for the rest of your shift. Because after spending any time in those get-ups you'd stink like hell, both from your sweat and the old sweat that had soaked into the suit.

Given that all we were doing was wandering around the crowd for an hour, I can't imagine what furry suits must smell like after trying to eat or have sex in them. Eww.

Though an awful lot of those suits were anthropomorphic animals, now that I think about it. No idea why animal characters are so linked with little kids.

Do strangers act weird around dressed up furries? Not because they think the furries are weird, but because somehow it's OK to do stuff to a guy in a suit it's not OK to do to normal people? That was one crazy part of doing those events. People would shove babies into my arms for a picture, or encourage kids to trip me.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Do a lot of those full-body suits with paws and everything require assistance to put on and take off, or are they designed so the wearers can use their hands if they need to? Or like the hands are separately removable I guess? I once had to wear a full character suit at a kids' event affiliated with my job (the hired actor was out sick and no one else fit in the suit), and it was kind of terrifying that not only could I barely see, hear, move, or breathe, but my hands were totally encased and I couldn't get out of the costume by myself.

Ha, I sort of like this, because at least it's different from what seems to be the usual furry aesthetic. It's, like, compellingly ugly, sorta like if Sylvain Chomet made an animal film. It seems as if "furry" is not simply anthropomorphic animals, but animals in a specific Disney/Bluth/CalArts style, with the style elements amplified to the point of fetishism. Do you agree, or are there more different furry styles and influences that we just don't see as much?

Fifty-Three
Jan 18, 2015
Recently I've been looking a lot at this photobook of traditional European festival costumes which seem to have at least some conceptual overlap with furries. The book is called Wilder Mann. It depicts people dressed up as animal-human hybrids who engage in cultural/spiritual rites, often channeling the animal they represent an anthropomorphized version of. Here are a few pictures:

Here are my questions:

What would the reaction be if someone showed up at a furry convention dressed like this?
It seems to me that this is a fantastic outlet for the fandom to claim universality and cultural grounding (and generally to class up the joint a bit), but it doesn't seem to have been absorbed despite being a widespread enough phenomenon to have gotten exposure within the fandom. What's up with that? Am I wrong?
Is it just a matter of these not being cute, but being kind of grotesque?

Thanks for the thread, I've been enjoying it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What happens when someone needs to pee while wearing a fursuit?

...Aside from those people for whom that is the point.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Curious about the answers to your questions but these are objectively dope as gently caress

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

jiffypop45 posted:

This lovely, uh, thing was created by a friend of mine. Despite all my attempts to socialize her in high school, after we graduated she dove right down the furry rabbit hole. I mostly blame her parents, she grew up overly sheltered out in a very rural area and they held her on a tight metaphorical leash to stay home and never aspire to do anything with her life. She's currently using her BA in Anthropology to stock the freezers at Walmart alongside her mother.

Edit: which raises an interesting question: how many furries out there were just naturally socially awkward despite the well intentions of their families, versus how many came from unusual/dysfunctional home situations? It seems we've seen both in this thread already.

TunaSpleen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 19, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fifty-Three posted:

Recently I've been looking a lot at this photobook of traditional European festival costumes which seem to have at least some conceptual overlap with furries. The book is called Wilder Mann. It depicts people dressed up as animal-human hybrids who engage in cultural/spiritual rites, often channeling the animal they represent an anthropomorphized version of. Here are a few pictures:

Here are my questions:

What would the reaction be if someone showed up at a furry convention dressed like this?
It seems to me that this is a fantastic outlet for the fandom to claim universality and cultural grounding (and generally to class up the joint a bit), but it doesn't seem to have been absorbed despite being a widespread enough phenomenon to have gotten exposure within the fandom. What's up with that? Am I wrong?

these fucken own and if being a furry meant going around in poo poo like this casting the evil eye on people I'd sign up for anthrocon in a heartbeat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fifty-Three posted:

"Non-cutesy" stuff is uncommon, but it does exist:

(All these by Qarrezel/Clockwork Creatures.)

People who get stuff like this definitely get a lot of positive attention, but obviously it's also expensive.

Domus posted:

I used to do suit characters for kid's book events when I was a bookseller. Cat in the Hat, Mama Bear, stuff like that. The rule was that every time you wore a suit, you got a free store logo shirt to wear for the rest of your shift. Because after spending any time in those get-ups you'd stink like hell, both from your sweat and the old sweat that had soaked into the suit.

Given that all we were doing was wandering around the crowd for an hour, I can't imagine what furry suits must smell like after trying to eat or have sex in them. Eww.
That's why people generally don't actually have sex in them-at least, not the bulky more detailed expensive ones people wear out on the con floor, because they'd get ruined with sweat and also they'd probably die of heatstroke. The ones people have sex in are way lighter, not much more than sorta fuzzy onesies.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Domus posted:

Do strangers act weird around dressed up furries? Not because they think the furries are weird, but because somehow it's OK to do stuff to a guy in a suit it's not OK to do to normal people? That was one crazy part of doing those events. People would shove babies into my arms for a picture, or encourage kids to trip me.

When on fursuit parades I set up a protocol whereby you have multiple 'wranglers' to help the suiters, stop people from tripping suiters/pulling tails/getting aggressive and so on. As I think I mentioned earlier, the people suiters interact with are sort of self-selected for being curious or amused by the entire thing- people who are weirded out or disgusted keep their distance. You do get parents pushing their kids towards them for pictures and the like though- and once when I was wearing my bodypaint I was grabbed by a load of portugese grannies who kept stroking me and going 'quente! Quente!' and wouldn't actually let me go. That was a little bit weird, but I'll admit, good for the ego. I think I have a picture of it somewhere.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Do a lot of those full-body suits with paws and everything require assistance to put on and take off, or are they designed so the wearers can use their hands if they need to? Or like the hands are separately removable I guess? I once had to wear a full character suit at a kids' event affiliated with my job (the hired actor was out sick and no one else fit in the suit), and it was kind of terrifying that not only could I barely see, hear, move, or breathe, but my hands were totally encased and I couldn't get out of the costume by myself.

Ha, I sort of like this, because at least it's different from what seems to be the usual furry aesthetic. It's, like, compellingly ugly, sorta like if Sylvain Chomet made an animal film. It seems as if "furry" is not simply anthropomorphic animals, but animals in a specific Disney/Bluth/CalArts style, with the style elements amplified to the point of fetishism. Do you agree, or are there more different furry styles and influences that we just don't see as much?

The suits generally consist of bodysuit, gloves, feet and head, so they're not too hard to put on and off. It's easier if you have someone to help, but most suits are totally doable on your own if needs must.

As for Edwolf's suit, it should be noted that the head is actually extremely good quality- it's made by Lion Of the Sun, who does some amazing realistic work, as opposed to tooney- he also does a lot of prop work. Hell, he'll make you a head with electric moving jaw and built in night-vision if you pay enough. Unfortunately the entire thing has got revolting, matted, smelly and just generally gross- I think as I said earlier that that's a pic of when the suit and head were pretty new.

Fifty-Three posted:

Here are my questions:

I think you'd get a combination of reactions really. Some people would be impressed, some people would understand the cultural background of them, and some would be freaked out/claim you weren't doing it properly. I've certainly never seen anything like that at a furry event though.

Hedrigall posted:

What happens when someone needs to pee while wearing a fursuit?

...Aside from those people for whom that is the point.

It's actually something that pretty rarely comes up. You lose most of the liquid in your body through sweat, so peeing really isn't required. Also, one doesn't tend to suit for more than a couple of hours at a time (if you're smart, which obviously excludes many, many furries) so even if you don't go beforehand, chances are anyone is able to hold it in that long. But seriously, I can't exaggerate the amount of sweat that you produce while suiting. Even if you're just sitting around, it's hot as hell- throw in any form of movement, and your clothing will be utterly drenched.

TunaSpleen posted:

Edit: which raises an interesting question: how many furries out there were just naturally socially awkward despite the well intentions of their families, versus how many came from unusual/dysfunctional home situations? It seems we've seen both in this thread already.

A /lot/ of furries have/had unpleasant home lives or childhoods, but I think that's more due to the very high number of LGBT furries who realised it early on; I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure I don't need to expound much on why that might make things hard at home.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TunaSpleen posted:

This lovely, uh, thing was created by a friend of mine. Despite all my attempts to socialize her in high school, after we graduated she dove right down the furry rabbit hole. I mostly blame her parents, she grew up overly sheltered out in a very rural area and they held her on a tight metaphorical leash to stay home and never aspire to do anything with her life. She's currently using her BA in Anthropology to stock the freezers at Walmart alongside her mother.

If you look closely at the background, you can see this character foreverially tied-up and possibly delitised and enjoying it. :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

If you look closely at the background, you can see this character foreverially tied-up and possibly delitised and enjoying it. :(

Oh poo poo I forgot about that guy! What's he been up to lately in the art space?

Camrath, what's the weirdest and most specific fetish a fur you've known irl had?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Hedrigall posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about that guy! What's he been up to lately in the art space?

Camrath, what's the weirdest and most specific fetish a fur you've known irl had?

Knew a guy who liked to make males lactate. I'm not quite sure how rare that is as a thing though. It is, apparently, possible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Camrath posted:

Knew a guy who liked to make males lactate. I'm not quite sure how rare that is as a thing though. It is, apparently, possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-OwMoAsP38

Scarlet Hawthorne
Jul 12, 2013
It seems like these suits are saturated with sweat and likely disgusting after the first use. I'm guessing they end up smelling like a used sports equipment shop. How are they cared for? You can't just toss something like that in the washer. Are they dry cleaned? And if so, would they owner hey funny looks from the staff?

I'm aware this is a really boring question.

Thanks for the thread, OP. You've sated a lot of ppl's curiosity!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Scarlet Hawthorne posted:

It seems like these suits are saturated with sweat and likely disgusting after the first use. I'm guessing they end up smelling like a used sports equipment shop. How are they cared for? You can't just toss something like that in the washer. Are they dry cleaned? And if so, would they owner hey funny looks from the staff?

I'm aware this is a really boring question.

Thanks for the thread, OP. You've sated a lot of ppl's curiosity!

I believe some get theirs dry-cleaned, but there's an element of not feeling secure with someone else dumping chemicals on a multi-thousand pound investment. And some suits are in fact fully machine-washable, though those are the exception to the rule. The majority of the time, bodysuits are handwashed/submerged in the bathtub and then dried in front of a fan. Heads are harder- some can be fully submerge-washed, but generally they're treated with anti-bacterial and anti-odour sprays. There's a distinct smell to them from the inside- the first time I tried it it reminded me of nothing so much as a fencing mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was an eagle, so I had wings and didn't have to worry about gloves, but I did have big cartoon feet. I was supposed to navigate some stairs, but I was like "nope" and found another way around. Otherwise, I had to shuffle a bit, but was fine. The feet and the suit didn't quite line up, and some kid guessed who I was later by my socks.

Also,

Bitter Mushroom posted:

thats what you get for having a ponytail

I'm a girl you asshat.

• Locked thread