Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nalesh posted:

Also this is weird, I'm slowly losing money on my prison but looking at the finance tab I should be in the green.

If your prison relies on lump payments (Lumber/license plates), your actual budget and your listed budget can get out of sync. Usually this isn't a big deal, but you can get overconfident because of the listed income and hire more staff than your actual income can support.

Unless your free cash is really low and the losses are really high, it's nothing to worry about if your workshops are still running. I've had the issue when setting up new prisons and getting lump sums from selling the logs just from clearing land for building.

e: After some thought, the actual culprit is the lump sums combined with the percentage prison tax. Theg ame sees you selling a bunch of logs during one day and goes "Oh, your prison made $XXX today! That's great! So your hourly income is now $YY, of which we'll take Z%! What? You say you're not actually making that much? Oh, don't worry about that, just pay us."

Dareon fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
I picked this up on the Summer sale and I've been messing around with it. One thing that has confused me right off is that I created a bunch of cells for my prisoners and used the room button to designate them as cells. I met all the requirements for the rooms to be cells. Yet, my prisoners never get placed in them. The guards just keep them in the holding cell I built. Occasionally they'll put a prisoner in one of the cells for a few hours and then transfer him back to the holding cell. What the heck is going on here?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
A screenshot would be nice, but it might be because there's too many luxuries in the cell?

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
Here's some screenshots. You can see two prisoners milling about in the cell blocks because guards dumped them there. As I said they'll stay there for a few hours then the guards will come and take them back to the holding cells.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463425967

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463425845

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463425738

I'm only taking minimum security prisoners at the moment until I get a grip on the game. Does that have anything to do with it?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reformed Pessimist posted:

Here's some screenshots. You can see two prisoners milling about in the cell blocks because guards dumped them there. As I said they'll stay there for a few hours then the guards will come and take them back to the holding cells.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463425967

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463425845

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463425738

I'm only taking minimum security prisoners at the moment until I get a grip on the game. Does that have anything to do with it?

A) That is the saddest Holding Cell I've ever seen.

B) The problem you are having is that you denoted CELL across the entire giant area instead of the individual cells. Undraw your CELL room and make the cells the single areas with a bed and toilet instead.

C) Also, looks like your Yard is indoors. You need to make it surrounded by walls with doors, but not with a Foundation. You can Bulldoze inside the walls to fix this.

EDIT: One other note, you might want to put a drain at the entrances to any and all showers, keeps the water from leaving the room and reduces the amount of grime you have on your floors.

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2015

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't sell my prison. The requirement of "at least 20 prisoners" is in red, but I have exactly 20 prisoners, 11 minimum 9 normal. What's going on here?

edit: Nevermind. I think by "at least 20 prisoners" it means "more than 20 prisoners."

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PantsFreeZone posted:

C) Also, looks like your Yard is indoors. You need to make it surrounded by walls with doors, but not with a Foundation. You can Bulldoze inside the walls to fix this.

It would probably be cheaper to put a bit of fence around the outdoor area at the entrance to the building and make that the yard, then reszone the current indoor yard as a common room. Throw in a couple TVs and pool tables. If you have a psychiatrist add up to 20 chairs and you've got a great place for the AA rehab activity.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007

PantsFreeZone posted:

A) That is the saddest Holding Cell I've ever seen.

B) The problem you are having is that you denoted CELL across the entire giant area instead of the individual cells. Undraw your CELL room and make the cells the single areas with a bed and toilet instead.

EDIT: One other note, you might want to put a drain at the entrances to any and all showers, keeps the water from leaving the room and reduces the amount of grime you have on your floors.

Ah okay that makes a lot of sense.

As for the holding cell, what do you recommend to make it better? I'm brand new to the game so for most of the rooms I've just been doing whatever it says the bare minimum is at the moment.

Okay I'll fix the yard too and get that sorted out. Using this and the advice I got further on down I think I can at least get the main issues I was having taken care of.

Thanks for the help.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was just being glib.

In my holding cells I like to include beds, showers, tvs, radios, vending machines (not necessary, not sure it even serves a point) and bookshelves. That way the poor saps stuck in the holding cell can meet all of their minimum needs.

Beds are really important because sleep and food are the two needs that I find raise your prison temperature the fastest.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
My holding cell typically has 2 long benches, a handful of beds (not necessarily as many as prisoners), showerhead and toilet (behind a cosmetic wall bit), a TV and maybe a telephone.

In the same vein, I find it thematically pleasing making the big shower room double as a gym.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

All you need is a toilet and a bench, but if you put other amenities in they can use them. I'd add at least a couple TVs to help keep them entertained. If they are staying in there overnight they can not sleep unless there are beds. Holding cells can also contain showers, pool tables and weight benches, but that's probably overkill unless you are using the holding cell as permanent quarters.

If you want to keep everyone calm you need a couple telephones, a couple weight benches, and a couple TVs even though those aren't required objects for any room. Put them in the common room or the yard.

I usually take "Yard" off the regime and replace it with free time. That way guys who have needs that can be met in the yard will go there, but it won't be as much of a zerg rush. Some guys will choose to go meet needs in the common room, their cell, or eventually rooms like the chapel or the library. A chapel is a good investment, lots of guys have a spirituality need and praying will help keep them calm. You can also schedule an outside priest to come in and run programs in the chapel, it is a really cheap reform program that always gets good attendance.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PantsFreeZone posted:

I haven't had problems with indoor yards, they work just as well as outdoor ones. The only advantage outdoor yards have is the cost of construction.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Angela Christine posted:

Holding cells can also contain showers, pool tables and weight benches, but that's probably overkill unless you are using the holding cell as permanent quarters.

For some reason, this is telling me "you should put showers above your TVs and other electronics". Maybe showers with the holding cell's center having the power generator.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

nielsm posted:

I haven't had problems with indoor yards, they work just as well as outdoor ones. The only advantage outdoor yards have is the cost of construction.

Really? Early on I used to get the red triangle that says must be outdoors. I wonder if they removed the necessary tag in a recent update.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Put a power generator in the foreman's office. It doesn't count against the office requirements, so it saves valuable space for the workshop next door.

Plus it's kinda thematic.

e:
Maybe the yard needs to be only partially outdoors?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Also, hot tip: Separate your showers and power generators.

If you'll excuse me, I need to make this about 20x more deadly.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go install drains all the way around my power center.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PantsFreeZone posted:

Holy poo poo. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go install drains all the way around my power center.

Oh, and before I forget, GET YOUR FIRE MEN IN. Fires are a bitch and a half to get out, and foremen will either puss out or die.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Anyone have any idea how to get death row inmates? I researched executions, built an execution chamber and have a few cells designated as "Death Row". The tooltip for Intake tells me I need a special "Death Row cell" but Im not sure what makes that different from a regular cell... I never get any death row inamtes ever, is there some special thing that I'm missing here?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

EasternBronze posted:

Anyone have any idea how to get death row inmates? I researched executions, built an execution chamber and have a few cells designated as "Death Row". The tooltip for Intake tells me I need a special "Death Row cell" but Im not sure what makes that different from a regular cell... I never get any death row inamtes ever, is there some special thing that I'm missing here?
You might need to zone that cell block Death Row in the Deployment screen.

Also, check Intake in the Reports screen to make sure you're allowing death row prisoners in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PantsFreeZone posted:

Where do you keep your power and water generators? They're always closed off from the prison population because I just assumed they could cause some serious hell if they had access to it.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a save file I start all of my new prisons on that has $2+m from selling a previous prison so I immediately build two offices, hire a Warden, unlock Financial Advisor and unlock land grants.

Then, I buy the land across the street for $80K and build all my power and water utilities there. Saves space for the initial starting building area.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Regarding PC and Visitation, if you have different holding areas for PC I believe you can just make another visitation room, and their families will prefer the visitation room that is closest to their inmates' cell.

I also find that it's harmless to mix PC and Death Row, because Death Row guys are basically confined to their cells anyway. That said, there's also a pretty low risk in mixing PC with minsec, since minsec guys generally have one foot out the door and don't want to increase their sentence. You can make it double sure by moving the high risk portions of the day (eat and yard) to be a few hours before the general schedule, so PC eats by themselves in an empty canteen, and is out on the yard while everyone else is scurrying about working.

As far as setups go, this is mine for the moment, with regime attached. This is an older screenshot, but I liked it because it has a lot of empty space though, so you can easily expand various needs with no issue:

lovely cells to control behavior, for example, can easily slot in next to the infirmary. The thing I like about this setup is that it's easy to duplicate. I could build a copy of these cell blocks all down the line and have perfect separation of security levels and decent backups in case of a riot. It's more expensive to get each cell block up and running (I generally don't undertake it unless I have 100k or so), but the sectioned-off utilities are pretty nice. The max-sec variation of this block has Perimeter Walls around except for one square that comes out by Deliveries, where I naturally have a dog patrol constantly sniffing the deliveries for contraband. Without any large pipes except in the very center of the block, diggers only have that area to go for. :v:

That said, I have had only one problem with gen-pop and PC sharing facilities in this setup. Part of this is the constantly cool atmosphere; the only time temperature spikes is in the morning, when people wake up smelly and poopy, but prisoners are guaranteed to wake up by 8AM, so the general population has a chance to poo poo and shower before they show up to the canteen. Then at the canteen, the first two meals of the day cools people off even further, since they're basically guaranteed to get chow thanks to free time, and if they finish early they have enough time to go pray or grab a book while the rest of the prison watches TV or uses the phones. PC has cleared out of the canteen and started their work day by the time genpop shows up anyway. There's enough jobs in the place to keep most folks busy, and the combination of low temperature plus the only armed guards patrolling outside the cell block means that reform programs are generally pretty popular. I think I only have like 2 or 3 prisoners in a normal cell block of 52 treating Work as Free Time.

The one problem I had was the cleaning cupboard. If a PC guy gets shuffled onto mopping duty, there tends to be a lot of idle time hanging around in there in the afternoon. So, I ended up needing to station a guard in there during work hours to make sure the PC guys don't get jumped.

Having a lot of Workshop space has made this prison stupid profitable, though. Most prisoners like at least workshop safety a lot, and I tend to have a couple of carpenters per cell block too.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 18, 2015

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nice layout. My OCD approves. Just a small suggestion which probably won't matter much unless you expand, but I like to keep EXPORTS close to the Workshops to save time on workman trips. Means more profits.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PantsFreeZone posted:

Nice layout. My OCD approves. Just a small suggestion which probably won't matter much unless you expand, but I like to keep EXPORTS close to the Workshops to save time on workman trips. Means more profits.

Yeah I didn't like the idea of them being in the northern utility building, mostly because that would push Visitation down to the southern building and put the supply of contraband tools and poo poo that much closer to the main airlocks.

Could I just set them any old where in the inner yard area and have exports simply teleport out?

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be honest, I don't know. I have my Delivery/Garbage/Exports areas all on the street right in a vertical row. The Exports area leads to Storage and through Storage they can get to Forestry which is surrounded by my Workshops. Thus, workman can cut down trees and carry metal into the workshops immediately and then export finished products without lag. I have a 6 hour workday and I bring in about 11K to 20K a day in Exports unless there's a riot or a bunch of murders which reduces the workforce.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So I think I wanna go small and burst out from there. Like, start with min-sec majority and maybe normal sec. Should I still go for every grant? Or rather, what SHOULD I go for with min-sec prisons?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Met posted:

Where do you keep your power and water generators? They're always closed off from the prison population because I just assumed they could cause some serious hell if they had access to it.

Lately I've been putting the water pump in a staff-only room right in the middle of the lot. That way there is no reason for large pipes to go anywhere near the edge of the map. So far the prisoners have never tried to break into the pump room, and if they did mess with it a temporary lack of water isn't that bad. You could build a new pump before anyone gets mad about the dirty dishes and stinky clothes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sometimes the pump will be a target during riots. It can be a real issue if you've got some rear end in a top hat pyro setting fires everywhere and you can't use the sprinkler system you installed. However, I've only ever seen water pumps be targets of opportunity (e.g., a dickhead will attack it if it happens to be on his way out), so it's generally a relatively small problem. Power stations are the much bigger consideration - even though they again are simply targets of opportunity, losing power during a riot is a serious problem.

Of course, it's worth noting that after they're installed and have a utility egress, you never need to touch these utilities again. If you're concerned about their security, just stick them in a dark room and then go all Cask of Amontillado on that poo poo. Not even legendaries will beat down solid walls.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The only issue I can see with keeping the pump across the road is that the main pipeline is basically a highway for tunnelling escapees.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

The only issue I can see with keeping the pump across the road is that the main pipeline is basically a highway for tunnelling escapees.

One could say that this just gives you a good way to determine where escapees are going to try to tunnel (for dogs to patrol), but I'd agree with you and say that one should channel those tunnels by making every other option suck rear end, not making one option really attractive.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Two newbie questions:

1. I built a visitation room. It has the tables. It's zoned as a room, and there's no exclamation mark telling me I screwed up. I have families waiting to visit. They're not showing up. What's the deal?

2. My prison just ground to a halt. All the prisoners are in handcuffs, and most are in their cells. A few are in the canteen, and they're not moving. The guards keep "escorting" them to their cells, but they're already in their cells, so I end up with the following happening: Guard walks into cell A, moves prisoner from toilet to bed, and leaves. He goes to cell B, moves prisoner from toilet to bed, and leaves. Returns to cell A, moves prisoner from bed to toilet, leaves. Returns to cell B... Over and over again. They're not eating. They're not moving. What did I break?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Do you have any holes in your prison? As always a screenshot would be nice.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Nalesh posted:

Do you have any holes in your prison? As always a screenshot would be nice.

Reverted to an earlier save since stuff seemed pretty broken, but no, no holes. Here's a picture anyway, the prison didn't change when stuff broke.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Reverted to an earlier save since stuff seemed pretty broken, but no, no holes. Here's a picture anyway, the prison didn't change when stuff broke.

Yes you do have holes:

It's much easier to just surround the entire prison with a large rectangular fence.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

nielsm posted:

Yes you do have holes:

It's much easier to just surround the entire prison with a large rectangular fence.

Well, I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

widespread posted:

So I think I wanna go small and burst out from there. Like, start with min-sec majority and maybe normal sec. Should I still go for every grant? Or rather, what SHOULD I go for with min-sec prisons?

None of the grants really change with the context of mostly min sec. I mean, maybe it won't make sense to keep armed guards around because I seriously have never seen min secs kick off hard, but it's still worthwhile to research all of that stuff and grab the grant money.

The main thing it changes is that you can expect fewer special cases as you get things working. Probably won't have any snitches, definitely won't have a problematic legendary, etc etc.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I'm pretty sure you can't even get a legendary prisoner unless you allow Maximum Security prisoners on intake.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I've had legendary medium sec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coolguye posted:

None of the grants really change with the context of mostly min sec. I mean, maybe it won't make sense to keep armed guards around because I seriously have never seen min secs kick off hard, but it's still worthwhile to research all of that stuff and grab the grant money.

The main thing it changes is that you can expect fewer special cases as you get things working. Probably won't have any snitches, definitely won't have a problematic legendary, etc etc.

Actually, you'll get more snitches. Min Sec has a higher % of Ex-Law Enforcement and Snitch traits. But if every prisoner is Min Sec, you probably won't have to worry about them getting got.

• Locked thread