Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

khysanth posted:

Our PCs at work got switched to macs and as such I haven't logged into P99 in a very long time. How hard is it to get running on a mac nowadays?

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Trust me, it's the only way. :)

faulteroy posted:

It helps but it's not required. Just run around gathering up all of the mobs in the area and then kill them near the spawn points. If you don't see pops on the courier spawn points after 30 seconds, you missed a placeholder.

You can also just sit on the spawn points and kill anything that comes near. You'll eventually kill the placeholders as they roam back to those spots, takes a while though.

How far do the placeholders roam? Do you have to travel the entirety of LOIO's landmass to get everything rounded up, or are the placeholders mostly around the #9 ruins on the map? What would you say is the rough count for all the placeholders and how do you know when you think you've got them all rounded up?

vvv We are talking about Goblin Gazughi Ring which drops from a sarnak courier in LOIO. Per the P99 guide here: http://wiki.project1999.com/A_Sarnak_courier

Siets fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Siets posted:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Trust me, it's the only way. :)

How far do the placeholders roam? Do you have to travel the entirety of LOIO's landmass to get everything rounded up, or are the placeholders mostly around the #9 ruins on the map? What would you say is the rough count for all the placeholders and how do you know when you think you've got them all rounded up?

For the earring? I suggest you go to Warsilk Woods instead of LOIO. You will yield better results.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I know nothing about Macs but there's a link in the second post about getting p99 to run on one. Maybe someone else can jump in who had personal experience, but I can't help with that.

Steve Jobs is dead, you insensitive clod!

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Siets posted:

Iksar Necromancers are the best and playing the game KOS to everything is the ultimate experience. :colbert: It's all about learning the secret passages and banker tricks and you can get by.

Buuuut if you must play one of the pansy good races, I suggest any of the elves and starting on Faydwer. Leveling in Greater Faydark is pretty fun. You can solo bats / rats / skeletons until level 4, then join an orc hill group until level 7 or 8, then progress onto Crushbone. Very classic newbie experience. Once you hit your teens you can make a bunch of money killing the bandit sisters in Lesser Faydark, and when those are camped you can find groups in Unrest. Unrest is a crazy place (trains to zone about every three seconds), but it has a crazy high zone experience modifier (ZEM) and will level you very fast. It's also a big haunted mansion and who doesn't love those?

The other newbie experience that I personally enjoyed was going either half elf or barbarian and starting in the northwest of Antonica. You can start in Qeynos or Halas and work your way from the newbie zones up to Blackburrow, which is basically the gnoll version of Crushbone. Fun newbie dungeon zone with good exp and gnoll fang drops that you can turn in for experience and loot to speed along the boring early levels.

Friend me Xeirak in-game and I'm happy to answer any newbie questions. We can also get you tagged in Unknown Guild too. Lots of goons are leveling in their teens and twenties right now.

Thankst for the advice. I will try leveling up in Greater Faydark, sounds pretty fun.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Free Headcrab posted:

Thankst for the advice. I will try leveling up in Greater Faydark, sounds pretty fun.

I've got a level 8 ranger alt that I was going to do on a Tuesday night static with a friend but he ended up ducking out. He's super twinked with FBSS, a Silver Swiftblade, HP/AC rings, and (almost) all of Ivy Etched armor. Add "Siets" my ranger to your friends list and when we get you tagged in Unknown Guild I can group with you if you want a leveling bud.

vvv This is immensely helpful. Thank you!

Siets fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 16, 2015

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Siets posted:

vvv We are talking about Goblin Gazughi Ring which drops from a sarnak courier in LOIO. Per the P99 guide here: http://wiki.project1999.com/A_Sarnak_courier

The placeholders roam roughly in the area circled below:

http://i.imgur.com/ILqMfg7.jpg

The rest of the guide is accurate, except for the placeholder list. I've seen placeholders spawn that were not on the list, but I can't recall the exact names.

This camp is also one of the most brutal in the game in my opinion. Since the placeholders spawn every 30 seconds and then wander off into the wild blue yonder, you can't take a break and you basically can't take your eyes off of the screen. Have fun!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
You can easily run p99 on a wineskin, there is some tutorial for it on the forums. Performance might be poo poo but whatever, it's a work computer right?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, just got a 30 day suspension. My wife and I have separate accounts and we did file for an IP exception. She had gone to bed, and I logged in one of her characters to do a quick item transfer before the night was over. Then Braknar Stonebeard shows up demanding to do a two-box test. He says if I admit to it I get a suspension, and if we fail the test it's a permaban. My wife had already gone to bed, so I just figured whatever I'll admit to it. Got other poo poo I can do for 30 days. Have fun guys, and don't you dare item transfer solo! The worst of offenses apparently!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
That sucks man, but 2boxing with an IP exemption is, as you've discovered, a really bad idea considering you've already red-flagged yourself for the guides/GMs. Everyone with an exemption is subject to occasional scrutiny, so it's playing with fire to be 2boxing for even quick transfers or ports or whatever. That said, it does suck that people like you are getting popped rather than the dudes who are PLing themselves etc. using VPNs or smartphone tethers - it's just way easier to catch people with an exemption.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Agreed, if you tether your smarthphone and are just doing an item transfer the odds of getting caught have gotta be incredibly slim.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Siets posted:

Welp, just got a 30 day suspension. My wife and I have separate accounts and we did file for an IP exception. She had gone to bed, and I logged in one of her characters to do a quick item transfer before the night was over. Then Braknar Stonebeard shows up demanding to do a two-box test. He says if I admit to it I get a suspension, and if we fail the test it's a permaban. My wife had already gone to bed, so I just figured whatever I'll admit to it. Got other poo poo I can do for 30 days. Have fun guys, and don't you dare item transfer solo! The worst of offenses apparently!

Well this sucks. Now who will I get necro advice from!?

I'm so gonna have that sweet clicky fear staff by the time you get back.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Drop transfer everything. Find an out of the way area to do it and be quick. I've never had an item rot and have done over 100k of items like this, you have about 5 minutes before it poofs so if your internet doesn't randomly die you should be okay.

Unless this is an EC banker that can't move. Then just post in the thread and find a goon or learn who the non-shitlords are in non-poo poo guilds.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 17, 2015

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

the last signal... posted:

Agreed, if you tether your smarthphone and are just doing an item transfer the odds of getting caught have gotta be incredibly slim.

This.. just use a VPN or tether. It's basically impossible for them to catch as long as you're only doing it occasionally and are only logged in for a short period of time. Worst case, you admit to it and get a 30 day break to do other poo poo.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I assume they have some script always running that shows when two clients connect from the same address. Funny that they will police the jaywalking-level offenses, but that they basically can't do anything to anyone who VPNs and does whatever they want.

I even told him "look I'm only doing this one quick transfer, it's not like I'm leveling these characters together to avoid groups..." He shot back with "you're lucky I didn't permaban you on the spot for lying to me at first and not admitting it right away. :btroll:"

Okay buddy. :rolleyes:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

they basically can't do anything to anyone who VPNs and does whatever they want

This isn't true though - it's pretty impossible for them to detect light boxing w/VPNs etc. but they nail people for self-PLing or duoing loot camps rather frequently - it just takes longer for them to establish conclusive proof. I was doing Chardok AE the other night and saw a 60 enchanter and his proxy alt get popped.

And he is right that he could have perma'd you. They are usually pretty pissed at people who have exemptions abusing them to 2box, so you did get lucky (assuming you want to come back and play again).

Just don't 2box unless you don't really mind getting banned, it's that simple. And if you do get caught, welp, it's not the GM's fault for enforcing the rules.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, I guess I really don't see the harm of transferring an item. To me, that's a way different ball-game than two boxing to PL or farm item camps.

Like others have said, I could have (and should have) just drop transferred and the exact same net result would have occurred in the exact same length of time. I was stupid for not doing it, but it was an FBSS that represented a substantial portion of my current net worth and it just did not occur to me as being that big of a deal. You even said yourself many pages ago that they let folks on Red get away with boxed transfers, ports, and other low-level infractions all the time because in the end it's really not affecting the game world all that much. The way I see it, the only gameplay experience I am denying the gameworld is the chance for some jerk to rip off my FBSS. If I'm missing something here, by all means let me know though.

And for the record, my wife and I did play together a little bit in the beginning. That was the original reason for the request, not because I thought I was being granted a license to box or anything.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Alternatively play on red where they don't police this if you wanna 2 box. Also the correct way to 2 box is to not have an IP exemption because that just draws extra attention.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

I dunno, I guess I really don't see the harm of transferring an item. To me, that's a way different ball-game than two boxing to PL or farm item camps.
I completely agree with this and I wish it was OK to 2box in EC (and nowhere else), but, sadly, those aren't the rules.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

onesixtwo posted:

Drop transfer everything. Find an out of the way area to do it and be quick. I've never had an item rot and have done over 100k of items like this, you have about 5 minutes before it poofs so if your internet doesn't randomly die you should be okay.

This takes me back to being 12-13 years old and using hide/sneak in the corner of the entrance of some hotel building in NFP (the auction zone for my server) and watching/following people who came in, hoping they were going to drop an item in one of the many rooms. I don't think it ever worked.

RingKing2
Aug 6, 2005
If I want to try this, can I just install EQ from the daybreak download now that it's free to play, or do I need to track down this Titanium thing?

edit: this post was a bit lazy and I think I figured out the answer is no, looking into options.

RingKing2 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 18, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hi friends I've never played EQ before but my friend sarren is in love with it so I will play too. My name is Razzgor ingame!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I hope you are ready to no longer be friends with Sarren.

RingKing: just torrent Titanium. It's not hard to find.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 18, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
It's funny how the exact same files of this game operate so differently from computer to computer.

On one computer, whenever you enter a zone like Greater Faydark, it drops your connection for a bit, then picks back up either perfectly fine or desynced (can't interact with mobs but they can attack and kill you). Other zones work perfectly fine.

On another computer, I drop back to login every other time I zone. And then it sometimes doesn't want me to get back on. Stalls at the login screen, gives me blank server lists, sends me to the wrong server, sends me to the right server but no characters, sends me to a character list that tells me I have the wrong spell data, sends me back to login after selecting a character.

Two other computers work fine, no problems.

Same OS, same options, same EQ files, same IP. I don't get it. Some ghosts must be haunting these computers or something but just for EQ.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Drop transfer everything. Find an out of the way area to do it and be quick

I use the plague huts in EC, between Nektulos and the tunnel. Drop transfer fungis and iksar chestplates erryday nbd.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yo Zliz if you ever glance at this thread how did that battle bind macro go? I got a new computer and lost all my settings :smith:

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

hayden. posted:

This takes me back to being 12-13 years old and using hide/sneak in the corner of the entrance of some hotel building in NFP (the auction zone for my server) and watching/following people who came in, hoping they were going to drop an item in one of the many rooms. I don't think it ever worked.

Alternately, back when I was first playing and started up a Wood Elf Ranger in GFay, someone dropped backpacks full of really expensive poo poo in Kelethin that I wound up picking up. I wound up with some high-end jewelry items (3 Platinum Ruby Veils) and gear that I'm pretty sure was meant to be drop-transferred to their Warrior alt (full set of Bronze armor, Cutthroat Rings, etc). I sold it all in EC tunnel for a chunk of 5,000pp, bought myself a FBSS and a pair of SSoYs, and was the coolest Ranger on Tribunal that hadn't been to Fear to loot rotting armor for a couple weeks.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone still on red server? I have a static trio that's about to hit 50+ and it's going to be time to roll a new round of alts soon. We're going to be powerleveling and bard swarming, so if anyone feels like AFKing their way to level ~45 you're more than welcome to join.

Also joined the red server <TMO> the other day and I'm digging this guild quite a bit. Much chiller environment than empire/goog guys/whatever. Two weeks on the server from level 1 and they're doing cleric epics and planar raids.

Oh also everyone on red still thinks I'm yevea for some reason

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 21, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

faulteroy posted:

The placeholders roam roughly in the area circled below:

http://i.imgur.com/ILqMfg7.jpg

The rest of the guide is accurate, except for the placeholder list. I've seen placeholders spawn that were not on the list, but I can't recall the exact names.

This camp is also one of the most brutal in the game in my opinion. Since the placeholders spawn every 30 seconds and then wander off into the wild blue yonder, you can't take a break and you basically can't take your eyes off of the screen. Have fun!

This and the pre-nerf Wurmslayer quest is how I made all my money on my bard. Run around and get everything on you, stop and AOE the whole pack, touch yourself for 30 seconds, and you've got all the placeholders in plain sight. I pissed off a TMO druid who camped it for a week by getting two in an hour.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
re: boxing, you're actually allowed to play on red and blue at the same time, which means you can be doing tunnelquest while playing on red server. you'd be a fool to try farming to get rich on blue, if you want to make blue plat quickly farm on red server and trade your plat over to blue. less camp competition, better camp rules, red plat is worth 3-4x as much, and you can be making plat as a tunnel rat at the same time. if you farm on a character deleveled to 49 or less you will never have to deal with pvp.

edit: yes, this does mean that one ancient cyclops camp on red gets you 15-20k on blue

you will eventually get banned for box xferring items, it has happened to several people i know.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 22, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

you're actually allowed to play on red and blue at the same time

I never knew this after playing for over a year and it really makes want to roll a red character.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Anyone still on red server? I have a static trio that's about to hit 50+ and it's going to be time to roll a new round of alts soon. We're going to be powerleveling and bard swarming, so if anyone feels like AFKing their way to level ~45 you're more than welcome to join.

What's the schedule like for this? I don't play red much these days but hey a free character!

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

a real jerk posted:

What's the schedule like for this? I don't play red much these days but hey a free character!

We typically start at ~8-9pm pacific and go all night, and AFKing/sleeping is more than fine if you throw me a phone number to wake you up at the end of the night or if you get PVP griefed. Right now we're at level 45 on our last batch of alts and we're not going to start until we hit low to mid 50's and farm a bit, so it'll probably happen sometime around the weekend or next week. Even if you don't have the patience to sit around for the whole ride to 50, show up on the first day and I'll get you to at least 25. We're teaching a new swarm kiter this time around so it may be a little slow going at first, but hey it's probably one of your last chances to get PL'd since the dev's have been talking about taking swarm kiting out of the game in the near future.

quote:

I never knew this after playing for over a year and it really makes want to roll a red character.

re: I have 3 open powerlevel spots next round :)

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 22, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Would I get in trouble for joining you on Red on a new account since my main account and my wife's account are sitting on probation right now? I'm wondering if they don't want "me" playing at all, or if the punishment is just to have my main account on probation and that's that until it's up?

edit: Since it sounds like this is alright, hold a spot for me.

Siets fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 22, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Siets posted:

Would I get in trouble for joining you on Red on a new account since my main account and my wife's account are sitting on probation right now? I'm wondering if they don't want "me" playing at all, or if the punishment is just to have my main account on probation and that's that until it's up?

I'm 99% sure that's fine, red dudes recommend putting each character on a separate account incase of suspension. Not a red only thing, they just get suspended a lot :)

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

We typically start at ~8-9pm pacific and go all night, and AFKing/sleeping is more than fine if you throw me a phone number to wake you up at the end of the night or if you get PVP griefed. Right now we're at level 45 on our last batch of alts and we're not going to start until we hit low to mid 50's and farm a bit, so it'll probably happen sometime around the weekend or next week. Even if you don't have the patience to sit around for the whole ride to 50, show up on the first day and I'll get you to at least 25. We're teaching a new swarm kiter this time around so it may be a little slow going at first, but hey it's probably one of your last chances to get PL'd since the dev's have been talking about taking swarm kiting out of the game in the near future.

re: I have 3 open powerlevel spots next round :)

I'm working on a bard on Blue, but I'd 100% be down for this if you have any open slots when this comes around. I'd like to get an Ench rolling.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
level me an enchanter you turd

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Seems like there's a lot of interest! Since the timing is going to be tentatively "sometime next week" the best way to organize this will be to send a tell to me on red (Hardon, Robocop, Blackzilla, Anime, Naix) with the code word "potato chips" and your cell phone number if you want to get a text when it's happening. No exact promises/guarantees on the timing, except that I promise you'll be 50 before Velious. Priority is first come first served, starts from level 1, pickups at any druid ring (please don't be in Qeynos area) and I will post on here around when it's happening. You may catch me AFK swarming, so if you don't get a tell back try me again later.

edit: oh yeah are froglok illusion pots worth anything on blue, I'm abandoning blue but not really sure if they're worth enough to bother xferring.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 22, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Siets posted:

edit: Since it sounds like this is alright, hold a spot for me.

Even when they permaban dudes they say: make a new account, roll a new char and follow the rules this time.

GLUFRU
Nov 10, 2010

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Seems like there's a lot of interest! Since the timing is going to be tentatively "sometime next week" the best way to organize this will be to send a tell to me on red (Hardon, Robocop, Blackzilla, Anime, Naix) with the code word "potato chips" and your cell phone number if you want to get a text when it's happening. No exact promises/guarantees on the timing, except that I promise you'll be 50 before Velious. Priority is first come first served, starts from level 1, pickups at any druid ring (please don't be in Qeynos area) and I will post on here around when it's happening. You may catch me AFK swarming, so if you don't get a tell back try me again later.

edit: oh yeah are froglok illusion pots worth anything on blue, I'm abandoning blue but not really sure if they're worth enough to bother xferring.

Sounds like a plan, I'm gonna try to get in on this as well. Never rolled on red before, is it worth going tank/rogue/cleric and hope to find groups post 50 or is it better to stick with a class that can solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Blue needs free swarming bards because trying to find a group as a 20ish warrior has been poo poo.

• Locked thread