Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

If people cared that much about not dying they should obviously just pack heat in church and don't pray so intently that they lose tactical awareness of all ingress points while doing so. It's about priorities

Well, their preference is that they be very devout at the expense of not being prepared for a lone wolf gunman to walk into their church and gun them down. As a Libertarian, I cannot condone a man's willingness to murder his fellow rational men, but it's the congregation's fault for not recognizing their vulnerability and taking corrective action and I do not feel that government intervention would solve any problems here, if there were any. The solution the free market had provided for them was to hire armed security guards, like that brave Geller woman down in Texas did, to protect them from anti-Christian hate crimes. As for the shooter himself, I strongly suspect that he was misled by modern psychiatry into taking some sort of mind-altering substance and was unable to rationally assess the cost-benefit of attacking a church full of peaceful God-loving Christians. The chuchgoers' lack of weaponry probably only tipped the analysis even further, because of the repressive anti-gun laws imposed under the Obama administration, once again proving the futility of government intervention. In a truly free market, the survivors would be free to pursue a binding arbitration to settle their grievances with the shooter. :ancap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So how many shooting sprees by 20-something neonazi 4chan posters is this now? Three?

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost

Doctor Butts posted:

Are felons allowed to own firearms?

Only if their Dad gives it to them as a present.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wales Grey posted:

Well, their preference is that they be very devout at the expense of not being prepared for a lone wolf gunman to walk into their church and gun them down. As a Libertarian, I cannot condone a man's willingness to murder his fellow rational men, but it's the congregation's fault for not recognizing their vulnerability and taking corrective action and I do not feel that government intervention would solve any problems here, if there were any. The solution the free market had provided for them was to hire armed security guards, like that brave Geller woman down in Texas did, to protect them from anti-Christian hate crimes. As for the shooter himself, I strongly suspect that he was misled by modern psychiatry into taking some sort of mind-altering substance and was unable to rationally assess the cost-benefit of attacking a church full of peaceful God-loving Christians. The chuchgoers' lack of weaponry probably only tipped the analysis even further, because of the repressive anti-gun laws imposed under the Obama administration, once again proving the futility of government intervention. In a truly free market, the survivors would be free to pursue a binding arbitration to settle their grievances with the shooter. :ancap:

quote:

In 1743, South Carolina also required “every white male inhabitant of this
Province, (except travelers and such persons as shall be above sixty years of age,) who
[are] liable to bear arms in the militia of this Province” to “carry with him a [long] gun
or a pair of horse-pistols… with at least six charges of gun-powder and ball…” to
church. Anyone who failed to bring a long gun or a pair of pistols with ammunition
was to be fined 20 shillings. "

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In 1743, South Carolina also required “every white male inhabitant of this
Province, (except travelers and such persons as shall be above sixty years of age,) who
[are] liable to bear arms in the militia of this Province” to “carry with him a [long] gun
or a pair of horse-pistols… with at least six charges of gun-powder and ball…” to
church. Anyone who failed to bring a long gun or a pair of pistols with ammunition
was to be fined 20 shillings. "

Behodl, the wisdom of our forefathers under a benevolent and lightened government and the purity of the gold standard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wales Grey posted:

Behodl, the wisdom of our forefathers under a benevolent and lightened government and the purity of the gold standard.

quote:

"The stated purpose of this severe gun control measure—requiring every white man to be armed—was “for the better security of this Province against the insurrections and other wicked attempts of Negroes and other Slaves...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Risked my life and read the comments of a fox news article doing a bio on the guy. Apparently liberals often buy confederate plates and make racist jokes to their friends all the time.

Had to stop watching it come in live when someone posted "high five dylan! More to come!"

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

It's interesting to see that the "scary black man" has always been an impetus for gun ownership in the USA.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

beatlegs posted:

Jesus is the answer, said the Libertarian.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

icantfindaname posted:

So how many shooting sprees by 20-something neonazi 4chan posters is this now? Three?

Sorry, what were the others?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Periodiko posted:

Sorry, what were the others?

Breivik and the dude who couldn't get laid I can think of off the top of my head, I have a feeling there's more

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There was that weird incident where three Muslims got shot over a parking space? Never really heard the full story on that one.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Master Twig posted:

It's one thing for Right Wingers to deny that they themselves are racist, but it's so odd that they wont even admit that racism exists. Like, why can't they just say that this guy is a racist shitbag and doesn't represent them at all. Why is it so hard for them to just admit that something that was clearly racially motivated was just that?

Last Christmas, my (Confederate flag-waving, Glenn Beck-watching, Rush Limbaugh-listening) father said that he "doesn't believe in hate crimes". He is also okay with the increased militarization of police, and joked "Hands up don't shoot? Hands up, bang-bang!"

:smithicide:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Wales Grey posted:

It's interesting to see that the "scary black man" has always been an impetus for gun ownership in the USA.

Its what you lean on when you ship in a larger population than you own.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Just saw Fox News with one of their typically classy headlines: 'Pope releases Encyclical denouncing climate change'

mmhmm :jerkbag:

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 19, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Necc0 posted:

Just saw Fox News with one of their typically classy headlines: 'Pop releases Encyclical denouncing climate change'

mmhmm :jerkbag:

That's not disingenuous as hell...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In case anyone was wondering, Twitter confirmed the Confederate flag is still flying high today at the SC capitol. All other flags are at half staff.

Sorry for no link (on my phone) but dkos has a report up now.

It's because as much as they want to, they know they can't fly it at 3/5ths mast.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Found the local talk station. Not that I've been looking very hard, but I figured today would be a good day to check in.

First thing I noticed was how bad Rush sounds. Physically, I mean. I used to listen to him daily when I drove a pesticide truck in college, and now he sounds like he's constantly holding back some weird gurgle. I heard him a couple weeks ago and noticed the same thing but I figured he might've been sick. I guess he's really starting to go.

Second: Holy poo poo they're actually going with the "Race was not a factor, this was a lone wolf, I cant hear you la la la" spin. That's what the lady mouthpiece filling in for Levin was spouting anyway. Just constant "I mourn for the loss of my brothers and sisters [exact words]. This tortured person took them from us in an act of sin, nothing more, and guns, race, and US history have zero influence."

I imagine they can keep that up for a day or two before the stuff gets around to their slow-witted listeners about how the guy wore around pro-apartheid patches and literally talked as he was shooting about blacks raping women and destroying the country. ANd that's assuming the mainstream media even bothers to spread that information. Then, what... I guess by then it'll have been ordered out of the right-wing cycle so they can stop talking about it and as far as their listeners are concerned the story is over and they have all the facts they need (lone wolf, liberals are real racists for pointing out history, stuff about racial comments probably from biased lib rags since I'VE never heard those reports, etc.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Charles C. Johnson is filing suit against Gawker for reporting a rumor that he poo poo the floor in college. And he is demanding a jury trial.

:catstare:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/269061846/Charles-C-Johnson-Gawker-Defamation-Lawsuit

quote:

Plaintiff Johnson repeatedly requested that Defendnant Howard publically retract his defamatory statements, but Defendant Johnson refused.

Hm.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Isnt it strange how Reverend Wright was a pastor of something wholly unnattached from McCain and co's concept of Christianity, but now historic black churches stand as symbols of Steve Doocy and Christians everywhere.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It just shows how far off the tracks the right is. It's one thing to vehemently deny that you are racist, or that conservatives are racist, or that certain policies are racist. It's another thing to vehemently deny that anyone in the world is racist, even when the person says they are racist.

I mean we always say that the GOP will insist that something is only racist if someone deliberately does something bad to a black person and says "I am doing this because of race". THAT LITERALLY HAPPENED, and now they're insisting even that isn't racist.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Isnt it strange how Reverend Wright was a pastor of something wholly unnattached from McCain and co's concept of Christianity, but now historic black churches stand as symbols of Steve Doocy and Christians everywhere.

In Wright's case conservatives were trying to drum up racial division to demonize Obama, in this case they're arguing that race isn't a factor to protect the "greivance industry" myth. Both are just cynical attempts to spin a narrative beneficial to the party.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I didn't really think it was strange, just stupid.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-36131

If anyone needs it.

edit

And the link from the first tweet:

http://americansfortruth.com/2015/0...-young-of-aids/

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 19, 2015

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Aw did i miss the thug/racist comparison. It's right though. the only difference between a hateful racist and a person who is proud to appear menacing and violent is you probably know who the racist is going to target.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I can't decide between my new news sources. Should I go with Biff Burroughs or Puppet Nation?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm catching up on the Charleston poo poo I can't fathom the kind of person that would look at what happened in Charleston and say "nope, not a racially motivated crime."

This is just mind-boggling to me. A dude who owns lots of white supremacist stuff walks into a Black church, opens fire, and yells racist talking points at them...is apparently not doing something racially motivated? I can't understand this. It's weird and very unnerving. I'm sorry, but I can't even gather the political motives for denying it. What, you don't want him to be called a racist...why? He's exactly the guy that people think of when they think of racists. They don't think of Ronald Reagan or survivalists or gun nuts. Nah, they think of people who go out and commit violence because of race.

I can't even understand the political motivation for not calling him a racist. It is so baffling to me.

Is it because they want to shoot up churches? Do they secretly approve of his views? Is there some incredibly stupid attempt at 11-dimensional chess I'm missing? Are they just that stupid?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StandardVC10 posted:

There was that weird incident where three Muslims got shot over a parking space? Never really heard the full story on that one.

Dude was an angry atheist and shot them execution style.

People here and elsewhere then said it was simply a parking dispute and nothing else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm catching up on the Charleston poo poo I can't fathom the kind of person that would look at what happened in Charleston and say "nope, not a racially motivated crime."

This is just mind-boggling to me. A dude who owns lots of white supremacist stuff walks into a Black church, opens fire, and yells racist talking points at them...is apparently not doing something racially motivated? I can't understand this. It's weird and very unnerving. I'm sorry, but I can't even gather the political motives for denying it. What, you don't want him to be called a racist...why? He's exactly the guy that people think of when they think of racists. They don't think of Ronald Reagan or survivalists or gun nuts. Nah, they think of people who go out and commit violence because of race.

I can't even understand the political motivation for not calling him a racist. It is so baffling to me.

Is it because they want to shoot up churches? Do they secretly approve of his views? Is there some incredibly stupid attempt at 11-dimensional chess I'm missing? Are they just that stupid?

Some of them share his views, but it's mostly because the right likes to claim that racism is over so that they can use that as an excuse to get rid of things like affirmative action and welfare, events like this shooting undermine their arguments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

It's because he said 'you're taking over this country' when he was reloading as they begged him to stop murdering them and if certain elements in the mainstream admit that that is a crystal clear sign he was nothing more than a bigot with nothing but hate in his heart for his fellow man they'll be also admitting that by pushing that exact narrative for the past, oh, eight years or so, they're the actual root cause and he's just a horrific symptom.

So he's a lone wolf mentally ill christian hater.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

They're trying to disconnect his beliefs from the political continuum on which their own beliefs reside. Especially in the case of something like Fox News, they can pat their viewers on the head and remind them that their loathing of minorities ("take our country back") is justified and not at all insane. Bill O'Reilly's intro to his show tonight declared that the real division in this country comes from people who point out that we all live in a state of perpetual racial animus. Then he brought on Martin Luther King III and they both blamed video games.
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/martin-luther-king-iii-oreilly-slam-violent-video-games-in-talking-charleston/

efb pretty much

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Some of them share his views, but it's mostly because the right likes to claim that racism is over so that they can use that as an excuse to get rid of things like affirmative action and welfare, events like this shooting undermine their arguments.
But it really doesn't! Racism is over and no good American is a racist. See this lone nut? We're all condemning him as a racist and that makes us not-racist.

I guarantee you a bunch of Republicans and others who aren't plugged into the right wing noise machine are saying "wait, what, people think this WASN'T racially motivated???"

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

They know admitting that racism is a serious problem would open the door to exposing the fact that racists make up a significant part of their base. They need those racist voters to win elections.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Dr Christmas posted:

He has to be wearing a swastika-emblazon klan hood, and must hang his victim from a burning cross. He must chant, "This is solely because of your skin color, not because of what you were doing or what I thought you might do." He must have a statement that he neither has nor wants any black friends signed and notorized by three white conservative Fox pundits and three white conservative AM talk radio hosts. The victims must be immaculately conceived free of original sin, and must denounce Al Sharpton with their dying breath.

In order to talk about it without being a hypocrite, this incident must repeat until it happens more times annually than gang-related murders.

I culled this from the social media thread because- welp I thought it was relevant. :commissar:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Whoa it was in the next room but I think Megyn Kelly just said "some people have pointed out that Dylann Roof had black Facebook friends, so wasn't racist"

Lieberals got :downsowned:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That all makes sense, I guess...

It's just so purestrain crazy that I can't really grasp why anyone would possibly endorse the not-racism line about the white supremacist that shot up a black church while yelling white supremacist talking points and wearing a jacket with an Apartheid era South African flag on it.

It's all because he likes the Confederate flag, I guess. Jeez, I was cynical but I thought that what amounts to a KKK member committing a hate crime would be universally considered to be racially motivated. Guess I wasn't cynical enough.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Oh wow now some guest is saying the US doesn't have an unusually high rate of mass shootings because Anders Behring Breivik, this show is gold.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If you don't get that they would gladly kill their fellow whites for disagreeing with them, then you don't understand these loving monsters.

quote:

race-baiters

Now class, what does that sound like to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ErichZahn posted:

Now class, what does that sound like to you?
I don't hear anything :confused:

For some reason my dog is freaking out though.