Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You're trying to explain to what you see as a bad jury why they are bad. Fair or not, they're going to stay bad in your view and won't listen to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

:coolspot: are you friendly enough to befriend a space buddy :coolspot:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

For the record, when I first lost survivor, I was loving pissed and think that's a fairly common reaction. Don't be too hard on yourself Dogg!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:spergin: :sludgepal: :spergin:

Anyone else playing that new ffxiv expansion?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
My mac didn't record the game winning time for a endurance game that would've got me straight into SURPRISE FINAL 2 instead of 3 like always, I had to re-do it and lost and got voted out. I feel your pain

I might be the saltiest player of all time

but grats to all the finalists, was fun following at the end

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Dogg, if you had just owned up to betraying our trusts, I'm pretty sure Garth and I may have voted for you. But instead you said "nah i totally never broke a promise w/ you guys" on technicalities, and that's not a good thing to do when you want people to like you! You played a strong metagame, yeah, but this is a social game. If you don't get people to like you first and foremost, then it doesn't matter if your plans were literally god-sent, because those people won't vote for you when it really counts.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chic Trombone posted:

Dogg, if you had just owned up to betraying our trusts, I'm pretty sure Garth and I may have voted for you. But instead you said "nah i totally never broke a promise w/ you guys" on technicalities, and that's not a good thing to do when you want people to like you! You played a strong metagame, yeah, but this is a social game. If you don't get people to like you first and foremost, then it doesn't matter if your plans were literally god-sent, because those people won't vote for you when it really counts.

:downsbravo:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

imgay, thank you for voting for me; that means a lot to me despite my decision to vote for you. I appreciate that. :) On another note, congrats MMM! I had tried my darndest and you've won.

Also coming soon, a post to make sense of my answers in Tribal Council. It's going to take some time.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

imgay, thank you for voting for me; that means a lot to me despite my decision to vote for you. I appreciate that. :) On another note, congrats MMM! I had tried my darndest and you've won.

Also coming soon, a post to make sense of my answers in Tribal Council. It's going to take some time.

:gizz:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

yesssssssssss

I love you anoni

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I had to hold myself back from doing a spit take when MMM didn't get dropped at the F4.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
Hey, DoggPickle, I don't know how much this will matter coming from a stranger, but I feel you on this. You've just got out of two months of a game that you threw yourself wholeheartedly into. It makes sense to be feeling really upset and angry right now. I hope you feel better about this soon for your own sake because it's surprisingly difficult to end up losing one of these games especially after coming really close to winning!

As for not getting any votes, that's tough! I can say from a similar experience that it stings, like a lot more than you'd think it should! Who knows, maybe months from now you'll still be angry and hurt about this, but in my experience I came away feeling, yeah, a bit hurt, and months later I just genuinely felt my allies in the game had added something positive to my life and that the whole thing was a really good experience.

You can run over the dynamics of what caused everyone to vote the way they did over and over but in my opinion it probably won't make you feel any better. The game is done now and the more you dwell on the way you think it should have gone, the more upset and bitter you may feel. Of course, it's hard not to dwell so I'm not saying it won't happen. Just remember that regardless of the fact that you didn't win, you got drat close and that matters too. The whole game may feel more meaningful on a wider scale with some distance. I mean, at the very least you've created your own SA Reality Game War Stories which you can share in the future! And you were delightful to watch (loved that bushwacking through your yard video, btw).

Anyway, I hope you're doing all right and that the post-game blues fade soon. Feel better!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lastly, Dogg, the best Awful Survivor player of all time has never won a season. You're in good company :grin:.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I got all the way to the end in Survivor: BYOB and lost too, and even worse people thought I could have won but blew it with my FTC performance, and MMM was even writing in his confessionals "as long as I don't fluck up the FTC"!! It's tough and if it comes up in a conversation I still always think "argh I should've done x differently!" But even though I was REALLY upset at the time because I cared so much, I also think back to my season pretty fondly and it's a good memory. :)

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I'll explain my vote to you Dogg.

My primary reason for not voting for you was that you orchestrated a final 3 in which you could not win. I'm almost positive MMM beats anyone from final 6 at Final 3. At the very least he has Jato, Narc, and Strongmouse. That means he needs 1 more vote or splitting the other votes to win. (Narc votes for him over you because you wrote her name down.) Either he played you in convincing you to bring him or you misplayed in bringing him yourself.

Second, I know you disagree, but I felt you broke your promise to me. My understanding of the promise is we were allies. You voted to get me out. That breaks the promise to me. I know that explicitly the agreement was about writing names, but I have no clue who would respect that kind of semantic bullshit.

If you had gotten rid of MMM, I would have voted for you (even while holding my nose), but I voted for the stronger player.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

Lastly, Dogg, the best Awful Survivor player of all time has never won a season. You're in good company :grin:.

Thanks

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

you know it's true pecota don't lie

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Tremendous Taste posted:

You're trying to explain to what you see as a bad jury why they are bad. Fair or not, they're going to stay bad in your view and won't listen to you.

Nah I'm explaining why I don't understand, and how I made very bad judgements about who would vote for what reason. And I guess yeah, I would not have voted the same way in many of their positions.i think I also figured that this internet version of a jury would be way less emotionally based votes than RL survivor, and more based on actions, moves, strategy and beating the odds. But that's my bad for not knowing anything about past seasons. I also understand what fast luck is saying about undercutting my cutthroat game at the end. I underestimated the danger of letting Mmm stay. I thought I played the better game because I was basically in control the entire time.. Every ally he ever made got voted off one by one, starting while they still had the numbers., so I don't understand the respect, because all of mine stayed, until it was impossible by sheer need for a vote. But it is what it is I guess. :(

I'm not trying to justify my game anymore. I just don't get it.

At least I still have respect and want to be friends with noni. I feel like I made other friends as well and had a generally great time, even though I did get stressed out at times, although there's still one person who can basically go suck a big bag of dicks. Rusty dicks. Making specific promises was my game play. If you inferred that I made stronger promises, that's because you are just stupid and terrible at survivor. Blaming it on me is just an excuse for you being an idiot. Don't ever speak to me again. I find your self-righteousness nauseating and complete bullshit.

Also thanks guys that get my disappointment, (although I'm sure you'd like to remove yourself from relating to that last sentence up there) thanks carpet shark and others and even Mmm. It is pretty hurtful to hit zero. I'm sure I'll get over it. Despite how much time I spent, I'm actually a normal person with a life (just jobless lol). I have no intention of reading the vista lol, and I'll probably take another break from sa for awhile. But overall 8/10 experience. Would recommend! Thanks fast luck for inviting me. Thanks everyone that made the game fun to play. Thanks viewers! Thanks for my letter from home. :dance:

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we trying to figure out on skype, you talking about garth or chic?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

you know it's true pecota don't lie

:henget:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:greenangel:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

garthoneeye posted:

I'll explain my vote to you Dogg.

My primary reason for not voting for you was that you orchestrated a final 3 in which you could not win. I'm almost positive MMM beats anyone from final 6 at Final 3. At the very least he has Jato, Narc, and Strongmouse. That means he needs 1 more vote or splitting the other votes to win. (Narc votes for him over you because you wrote her name down.) Either he played you in convincing you to bring him or you misplayed in bringing him yourself.

Second, I know you disagree, but I felt you broke your promise to me. My understanding of the promise is we were allies. You voted to get me out. That breaks the promise to me. I know that explicitly the agreement was about writing names, but I have no clue who would respect that kind of semantic bullshit.

If you had gotten rid of MMM, I would have voted for you (even while holding my nose), but I voted for the stronger player.

It's cool. I have mad respect for you and understand why you are mad. You asked for an alliance and I said let's start with something simple... You know the rest. I did really like you and trust you, but you were also one of the few people I was scared of in the end, so when it came down to only having really og allies left. I mean I teamed up with Mmm on day one and imgay and anon on day 3, I had to make a choice. Chic had already betrayed our original alliance at the first opportunity and was not trustworthy, so sticking with you two was just a bad deal, and voting chic first left a stronger player madder. I'm sad that you feel you'd have to hold your nose to have voted for me. I really like you man. I never wrote your name down, and that was a LOT of work. So Game off lol. I hope we can be friends. And thanks for explaining your vote to me.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I said rusty dicks didn't I? I LOVE GARTH.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not writing names down is what lost you votes in the end.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

imgay posted:

Not writing names down is what lost you votes in the end.

That actually makes me disappointed in the other players. If people just assumed things that I never said, how am I responsible for that? We still cool?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

DoggPickle posted:

That actually makes me disappointed in the other players. If people just assumed things that I never said, how am I responsible for that? We still cool?

Yeah, I'm not mad at you anymore. The only reason I would have been holding my nose is I would have respected you betraying me if you went full force and not tried to have it both ways.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
you're putting too much stock into the technicality. if you agree to never write someone's name down, it kind of carries an extra nuance that you're also not going to help them get voted out.

there are people who would respect 'well, i took out threats and yeah i lied a bit to do it' because that's owning up to it. if you orchestrate someone's exit and then say you kept your word cause you didn't write down their name, it just looks cowardly.

though like fast luck said, taking out your allies who are threats is kind of contradicted by taking mmm to the end because he was your ally and it was honorable.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Will no-one rid me of this troublesome castaway?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TT can I presign for your next mafia game?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Adus I hope you are good and I am sorry that I cannot engage in conversation with people that do not appear in front of me

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

imgay posted:

TT can I presign for your next mafia game?

I'm gonna be running something in support for LUTR hopefully but sure

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was really upset how I missed Hiphopfia right under my nose

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

imgay posted:

I was really upset how I missed Hiphopfia right under my nose

HipHopfia 2 will be role madness probably, I just get burned out of modding really fast

ill save you a spot in that

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Tremendous Taste posted:

Adus I hope you are good and I am sorry that I cannot engage in conversation with people that do not appear in front of me

i am good, man. i hope you're good too.

i'm the worst at starting conversations, myself. i pretty much talk to no one from my season despite finding them cool people because i'm such a drat hermit.

we need an off-season vista again or something.

i'm easiest to access on steam or skype which can be found in my profile so any cool dudes or gals who wanna talk to the best guest host hit me up yo. though maybe not now i am sleeping in like 10 mins.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lol how did you not vote off MMM at final 4, what a throw

its like no one has ever seen the show

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Adus posted:

you're putting too much stock into the technicality. if you agree to never write someone's name down, it kind of carries an extra nuance that you're also not going to help them get voted out.

there are people who would respect 'well, i took out threats and yeah i lied a bit to do it' because that's owning up to it. if you orchestrate someone's exit and then say you kept your word cause you didn't write down their name, it just looks cowardly.

though like fast luck said, taking out your allies who are threats is kind of contradicted by taking mmm to the end because he was your ally and it was honorable.

In some ways I felt like I was playing some kind of bizarro survivor, where people just kept coming to me and giving me all kinds of information without asking for anything in return. The sheer volume of people being forthcoming for no reason was screwing with my head. I saw like five idol clues and all three idols. If I had assumed that every one of these people expected a full alliance without my consent or anything specific, I would have had like 10 full allies! And like no way out of that! There are lots of specific deals made on survivor, like save me this time, I will not vote you next time. I just made it a longer lasting version. I don't really get why the semantics of it are so upsetting. I held up my end of everything I ever said. The one time I really actually lied in the whole game was saying"ok I'll do that" when I was supposed to vote out anonymous idiot and I wrangled the Garth vote instead. I mean my total lies were basically near zero.

The only people I promised an actual alliance with were Mmm/circlmaste/chic on day one, and rurea, who II voted out because I had no choice at all. I still don't know what happened to circle master, but chic went rogue at first opportunity and I considered that alliance broken. So I guess in my mind, I didn't betray any allies at all. I felt like voting out my one remaining true story ally from day one would look like a cowardly thing to do. He might have said in that notation up there that he still would have voted for me, but I seriously doubt it. He told me afterwards that he would not have.

I don't know why everyone just kept telling me everything and wanting to be friends. Then when I had to cut that stuff down to size, then I'm taking cheap shots from people by keeping my word, but not keeping more agreements that I didn't agree to in the first place. I mean, of course those deals were for my own benefit, but they were also absolutely and completely clear. I'm just working through it lol. I ended up as a villain with basically one lie and a couple times walking around the truth hahahah.

Different perspectives I guess. :)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

JakeP posted:

lol how did you not vote off MMM at final 4, what a throw

its like no one has ever seen the show

Lol I've seen every episode, live. Short version, I completely misread the entire jury and what they would care about, and I thought I played a better game and wasn't even in danger at all. :laffo:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's because if you are going to remove somebody you have an alliance with (which is a valid move), it's a bit disrespectful to be like "well I technically didn't vote you so you have no reason to be upset"

It's disingenuous because people are obviously aware of your intent. People can stand getting voted out, but being voted out and then told that it wasn't a real vote so they had no reason to be mad is not the same.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's because if you are going to remove somebody you have an alliance with (which is a valid move), it's a bit disrespectful to be like "well I technically didn't vote you so you have no reason to be upset"

It's disingenuous because people are obviously aware of your intent. People can stand getting voted out, but being voted out and then told that it wasn't a real vote so they had no reason to be mad is not the same.

To reiterate, they weren't allies. I was perfectly specific about the deal. It's a good deal both ways if you count numbers. You of all people know how much I was very careful about exactly everything I said at all times. I dunno I guess I expected respect for coming up with a good deal that I completely held up on my end. I guess semantics are important to me and not to others. I figured internet players would be even more down with it than people that have to smell other people's stinky feet all night, try not to die of food poisoning, and chase chickens together. This was entirely my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
go mister manikin man, woo! :beer:

• Locked thread