Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bewbies posted:

"If Goose had followed procedures he wouldn’t have died."

On the Anniversary Edition commentary, they evidently really had to fish for something that could 'accidentally' kill Goose, and eventually someone (probably Pettigrew) remembered that it was possible, for a very short period of time, for the canopy to get stuck in the turbulence above the aircraft, but that any good RIO would know that and wait for it to catch more air and clear...plus as that page says, it was Goose's duty to initiate the ejection, so Maverick asking/telling him to was redundant.

And last time this came up - probably in the other aviation thread, the scuttlebutt in the military helo community is that 1) the film crew managed to gently caress their way out of getting a Navy SAR bird to pick Cruise and Edwards out of the drink, and 2) Cruise hosed around in the drink and actually put himself in real trouble for a few moments, giving the CG swimmer a bit of a scare. Try as I might, though - I can't get a definitive source for #2 other than my father was out at the CH-46 RAG at NAS North Island while they were filming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

wdarkk posted:

Hard Deck isn't an ROE but rather simulated ground, apparently.

It depends. The bottom of an altitude block can be a very real safety device for a lot of reasons. Terrain, obviously. Another is that there are other aircraft operating below you. We routinely stack aircraft in the same area. You might have a Predator flying from Surface-10k MSL, an F-15E at 11k-FL240, and and maybe a JSTARS orbit over the top around FL300 or so. You might have a Restricted Operating Zone below a certain altitude due to an airfield in operation, or due to parachute operations, or artillery fire. Another agency (civilian ATC, another country, etc) might own airspace below a certain altitude. Etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re this comment:

quote:

(10:06) Cougar rips his oxygen mask off to breathe more oxygen, which would be in short supply at high altitude.

I understand his point that the best supply of oxygen would indeed be inside the mask, but what's the atmospheric conditions inside a fighter cockpit anyway? Surely it's pressurized to something approaching sea level?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Re this comment:

I understand his point that the best supply of oxygen would indeed be inside the mask, but what's the atmospheric conditions inside a fighter cockpit anyway? Surely it's pressurized to something approaching sea level?

They're not supposed to take off their oxygen because the cockpits are so small in fighter aircraft that any decompression would be extremely quick. Depending on the altitude, they might not have enough time to get their masks secured.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

PittTheElder posted:

Re this comment:

In a Prowler it's same as atmospheric pressure up to 8k, 8k-23k it maintains 8k cabin altitude and higher than 23k it maintains a 5psi differential which you can estimate by subtracting 6k from your altitude and then dividing by 2. For the reasons Big Headline alluded to you are supposed to leave it on from takeoff to landing but no one ever does.Even when we were doing high altitude transits I'd drop mine and put it on every so often for a minute or two (high altitude is a relative term in a Prowler ;) ).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Taking off your mask's not a big deal, as long as you're not at a very high altitude where the cockpit alt gets above 10k or so. You'll sound like poo poo on the radio though, and having it up's one less thing to worry about if poo poo goes wrong. You'd notice a pressure loss from ears popping etc. Ejecting with the mask down could be bad for several reasons.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I know the article is unashamedly spergy but drat, man, it's a movie not a documentary. GCI referring to pilots by their nicknames instead of the plane side numbers is just to make it clear to the audience what is going on. Yeah, sure, they could have had a scene where each pilot is briefed on what plane they'll be flying, but it would have added literally nothing to the movie.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't think you get :thesperg:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think all of the sperg was pretty tongue in cheek and meant to be for the purpose of humor to the audience.

Maybe that was not the point and I missed that.

I thought it was pretty funny.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I don't know, Flight of the Intruder ticks my inner grognard boxes in a good way with stuff like that.

annnnd now i'm popping in the dvd...
https://youtu.be/vXLLH1eSOZE?t=1m3s

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That Works posted:

I think all of the sperg was pretty tongue in cheek and meant to be for the purpose of humor to the audience.

Gotta know your audience I guess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That Works posted:

It was just pointed out to me that the author, Ward Carrol, was infamous in the fleet in the late 80s for a comic of his that ran in the Naval Safety Center's monthly magazine. They're definitely a bit more sardonic than the Army equivalent:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307792955757601082/

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dominoes posted:

Taking off your mask's not a big deal, as long as you're not at a very high altitude where the cockpit alt gets above 10k or so. You'll sound like poo poo on the radio though, and having it up's one less thing to worry about if poo poo goes wrong. You'd notice a pressure loss from ears popping etc. Ejecting with the mask down could be bad for several reasons.

You sound fine on the radio if you just make sure you actually hold the mask against your face. Pretty much the only time I keep mine on is in the terminal area (departure and arrival), if I'm doing something dynamic or I know I'm going to be on the radio a lot.

Re: Ward Carroll, most of you probably know this but he wrote some books too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you've got a questionable stomach, 100% O2 is a fantastic cure. Also one less thing to deal with if you end up with smoke/fumes.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

If you've got a questionable stomach, 100% O2 is a fantastic cure. Also one less thing to deal with if you end up with smoke/fumes.

Great for a hangover too...

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

For those of you who've been to the Pima Air Museum and the Titan Missile Museum, is one day enough time to do both?

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Craptacular posted:

For those of you who've been to the Pima Air Museum and the Titan Missile Museum, is one day enough time to do both?

I was able to do Pima WITH the tour to the Amarc (the boneyard) in a day with plenty of time to spare. I didn't start super early in the morning either. It was a full afternoon though. So maybe?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vulturesrow posted:

Great for a hangover too...

Best part of being an aircraft mechanic is easy and free access to O2.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Craptacular posted:

Should be. Do shell out the 6$ or whatever it is for the AMARG tour, it is great. Also, take a drive around after you are done with the museum, there are a number of privately owned aircraft scrapyards around the perimeter of Davis-Monthan where you can poke your camera through the fencing and see some other cool stuff closer than you can from the tour bus.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

kill me now posted:

I don't know, Flight of the Intruder ticks my inner grognard boxes in a good way with stuff like that.

annnnd now i'm popping in the dvd...
https://youtu.be/vXLLH1eSOZE?t=1m3s

I literally have never heard of this movie before today and the clips have me intrigued...time to find a copy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MrYenko posted:

Best part of being an aircraft mechanic is easy and free access to O2.

:agreed:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I literally have never heard of this movie before today and the clips have me intrigued...time to find a copy.

It's not bad. Book was better, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, and the flight to Subic were the best parts of the FotI movie. The lead who played Jake will take the crown from Keanu Reeves for 'most wooden actor you've ever seen.'

"Okay, Doc. If we've gotta punch out, I'll yell 'Eject, Eject, Eject!"

"Alright, 'Eject, Eject, Eject!' So...what do I say in response, 'roger' or something?"

"You even say 'huh?' and you'll be talkin' to yourself...'cause I'll be *gone*."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 17, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, and the flight to Subic were the best parts of the FotI movie. The lead who played Jake will take the crown from Keanu Reeves for 'most wooden actor you've ever seen.'

"Okay, Doc. If we've gotta punch out, I'll yell 'Eject, Eject, Eject!"

"Alright, 'Eject, Eject, Eject!' So...what do I say in response, 'roger' or something?"

"You even say 'huh?' and you'll be talkin' to yourself...'cause I'll be *gone*."

The ironhand mission was pretty neat just from a flightscene perspective.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
From a recent article on the kamikaze pilots: http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:ap.org:06f0f9d45abf41e5a3a5ebfde19582f6

quote:

Masao Kanai died on a kamikaze mission near Okinawa in 1945. He was 23.

Under a program that encouraged students to support the imperialist military, he had been pen pals with a 17-year-old schoolgirl, Toshi Negishi. All in all, they exchanged 200 letters.

They tried to go on a date, just once, when he had a rare opportunity to get out of training and visit Tokyo. But that was March 10, 1945, right after the massive air raids known as the firebombing of Tokyo. So they never met.

Before he flew on his last mission, he sent her two tiny pendants he had carved out of cockpit glass — one a heart, the other a tiny Zero. The hazy crystalline heart has the letters T and M, their initials, carved on top of each other.

Negishi wore the pendants just once. She kept them in a box for 70 years.

Edit: Just to clarify, I do not necessarily agree with the author on all points in his article

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 18, 2015

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Check out that third comment. :beck:

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Pro click. It's like :beck: :beck:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Are there any good military/aviation museums in the San Jose area that I should see? I'll be in and out of there about once a month over the next year, so time's not really an issue.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

zzuupp posted:

Pro click. It's like :beck: :beck:

All the comments so far are loving "amazing."

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The lead who played Jake will take the crown from Keanu Reeves for 'most wooden actor you've ever seen.'

Such a glittering career: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424635/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

Also enjoyed David Schwimmer being cast as a facsimile of the rear end in a top hat Steiger from the book.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

inkjet_lakes posted:

Such a glittering career: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424635/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

Also enjoyed David Schwimmer being cast as a facsimile of the rear end in a top hat Steiger from the book.

Interestingly enough, Ed O'Neill was being eyed for the FotI movie, but people still thought of him as "Al Bundy" back then. He'd have made a pretty decent Boxman or Camparelli, even though I thought Glover did a damned good job, even if it felt a bit too "Murtaugh-y."

Lots of fun stuff: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099587/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

inkjet_lakes posted:

There was already a Steiger in the movie, the intel guy remember? David Schwimmer just played a nameless duty officer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mortabis posted:

Are there any good military/aviation museums in the San Jose area that I should see? I'll be in and out of there about once a month over the next year, so time's not really an issue.

I was driving north between Bakersfield and Fresno and I swear I saw a b17 and a f4 right next to a building proclaimed as an air museum I'd never knew about.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Nike Missile (nuclear SAM) Site SF-88 is just over the other side of the Golden Gate bridge if you don't mind driving up to San Francisco. It used to be that if you went on the right day of the month, you could ride the platform up from the underground bunker and then watch them elevate the missile into firing position, I don't know if they still do that but I thought it was pretty impressive. You could check out the old control trailers, etc. too.

For all I know there are lots of other things to see in the area, I just didn't look.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The Hornet is docked up in Alameda as a museum, but I haven't been since the dedication.

I think there's an air museum attached to Moffett Field as well, and you can see the remains of Hangar 1, which has some neat history.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sperglord Actual posted:

The guy's pimping his own book.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Mortabis posted:

http://www.oaklandaviationmuseum.org

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Mortabis posted:

There is a small museum between SFO and Mountainview that has a lot of prototype Hiller stuff. Not a "destination" type museum, but if you are in the area already...

Oakland airport has a nice, but small, museum. They have a Sunderland flying boat, a collection of 60s and 70s military stuff, and some interesting maintenance trainers. The maintenance stuff are things like a complete hydraulic circuit streched out over a series of panels, taken apart landing gear, etc.

As said, the Hornet is a great museum.

If you can stretch to a several hour drive south, the Castle air museum is amazing. They have a B-36 and a lot of other rare stuff. One of the best second tier museums. No comparison to NASM, Dayton, Pima, etc; but worth the drive.

Also- keep an eye out for the old airship hangers at Moffett. You can see them from 101.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

winnydpu posted:

Also- keep an eye out for the old airship hangers at Moffett. You can see them from 101.

Owned by Google, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Flight of the Intruder was the second adult novel my father gave me.

Today I'm taking my dad to the local air museum for their unveiling of their newest plane, a Prowler. The guest speaker of the event is Stephen Coonts. Hopefully a good early Father's Day thing.