Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well, that was a part of it too, but I don't play racing games and you guys would make much better use of it than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Torabi posted:

What is soft lock even supposed to do in Dirt Rally? They make it sound like the game automatically reduces your wheels rotation based on the car. So I don't have to do it manually. But it doesn't do anything when I enable it and drive a car that has <900 degrees rotation. I managed to drive the 2010 mini and it is a lot of fun when I lock my wheel to the right degrees. But anything else is undrivable for me, even cars with 900 degrees are impossible to control. What gives?
Did you do the wheel calibration? That is a pretty important step so that the game knows how many degrees of rotation your wheel supports.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Disgustipated posted:

Did you do the wheel calibration? That is a pretty important step so that the game knows how many degrees of rotation your wheel supports.

I did. But everything just feels off. I guess I'll try it again.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Torabi posted:

What is soft lock even supposed to do in Dirt Rally? They make it sound like the game automatically reduces your wheels rotation based on the car. So I don't have to do it manually. But it doesn't do anything when I enable it and drive a car that has <900 degrees rotation. I managed to drive the 2010 mini and it is a lot of fun when I lock my wheel to the right degrees. But anything else is undrivable for me, even cars with 900 degrees are impossible to control. What gives?

lots of the cars have really large rotation degrees so you probably won't feel it - the Fiat has 1080 degrees lock to lock which is more than most wheels support

e: I got that through the blog post about the new FFB, just thought I'd clarify

Just finished my first stage with the new FFB in the Fiesta: hosed up by engine, got a rear right puncture and lost the rear brakes and managed to finish tenth of 16 against the easiest AI. A+ top rally sim. Based on my amateur knowledge, the Sweet Lamb stadium section is accurate, which is nice!

The one minor FFB thing that I've noticed post-patch is that there's no FFB response to turning the wheel when you are stopped, which might just be an ease of use thing. Other than that it feels pretty accurate, to someone who's never driven a rally car before.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 18, 2015

advion
Jul 25, 2005
http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/clubsport-pedals-v3-usa.html

Looking pretty nice.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Well, if anybody is interested in a discounted set of V2 pedals in september...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

osker posted:

Well, if anybody is interested in a discounted set of V2 pedals in september...

Yup, I will be unless they release info on the new gear below ClubSport. Now I just need to hope my CSRs make it that long... the throttle is getting pretty useless...

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

I might get the crew for my daughter as she loves to play city car driving and this looks to be a nice upgrade. Is this a good game to just freeroam drive all over or is there something better?

The best open world driving game is Euro Truck Simulator 2

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Since the CSW is currently available again... how much of an upgrade is it going from a CSR to a CSW? Is it really substantial enough to warrant the price?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GhostDog posted:

Since the CSW is currently available again... how much of an upgrade is it going from a CSR to a CSW? Is it really substantial enough to warrant the price?

Yes, I did it. The csw is amazing. If you can't afford an actual direct drive wheel, it is a must get.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

track day bro! posted:

The best open world driving game is Euro Truck Simulator 2

True, and that gets played a lot as well (she loves switching radio stations and getting gas etc) I was just looking for something with cars instead of trucks.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Burnout Paradise is fun if she likes wrecks

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, I did it. The csw is amazing. If you can't afford an actual direct drive wheel, it is a must get.

Ow, my wallet...

I do like my CSR a lot, but it's definitely lacking in some areas - I'd love for it to have a stronger motor, for example. I'm hoping they announce a new wheel, similar to the old CSR-E but with some filtered down tech from the ClubSport line. Otherwise, I'll have to bite the bullet and order the CSW. It'll be worth it, but that price tag still hurts for a fancy toy.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

I tried cranking up the ffb on the csw V2 just to see what 11 feels like. It has enough torque to gently caress you up. I'm sure direct drive wheels are great, but gently caress having to set up a massive servo driver, power supply, and emergency cutoff button.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Welp, it's done. I hold all of you personally responsible if it disappoints. Then again, as it currently stands the seat was more expensive than the wheel, and that won't do, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd argue the seat+stand is more important than the wheel, as the best wheel on the planet isn't worth poo poo if it moves around while steering or you have a terrible seat position.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, the seat did make much more of a difference than I would have expected. It's a good bit more comfortable working the pedals than even the good office chair and sturdy table setup I had before due to the knee angle. And of course way more immersive.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Have the details for the next (free) Assetto Corsa DLC already been posted?

Circuit Zandvoort

Alfa Romeo Mito Quadrifoglio Verde
Audi Sport Quattro
Lamborghini Miura
Nissan Nismo GT-R
Toyota GT-86

Pretty neat, love the Lambo and the Audi.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Have the details for the next (free) Assetto Corsa DLC already been posted?

Circuit Zandvoort

Alfa Romeo Mito Quadrifoglio Verde
Audi Sport Quattro
Lamborghini Miura
Nissan Nismo GT-R
Toyota GT-86

Pretty neat, love the Lambo and the Audi.

I loving love zandvoort but holy poo poo i cannot justify paying more money for assetto corsa poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

OhsH posted:

I loving love zandvoort but holy poo poo i cannot justify paying more money for assetto corsa poo poo.

It's free.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

It's free.

Oh thats cool, last one wasnt

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

OhsH posted:

Oh thats cool, last one wasnt

I'm guessing that both accessing (for scanning) and licensing the ring costs a bundle.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I was doing a quick edit to the OP to add the Steam links for Sector3 games and while looking over the list of current sims I realized that a year ago most of the games weren't released or in way worse shape than they are now, at this point I think all of them are totally worth driving. We even have a new rally sim, how cool is that?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tippis posted:

I'm guessing that both accessing (for scanning) and licensing the ring costs a bundle.

Nbd, just saying i dont play ac enough to pay for dlc anymore.

Zaandvort will bring me back for about 2 days. That is literally the greatest racing track ever.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
GT-86 is cool but I don't know if I will reinstall it before they release their AE86.
e: Nevermind, just remembered that the team pure miata mod is out this month.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dat Quattro is coming a lot sooner than I expected.

Wait what?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 19, 2015

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Am I the only one that thinks the FFB in Dirt Rally is even worse after the patch? They tried to add self aligning torque, but it doesn't make any sense the way they did it. There is zero force centering the wheel when you are going forward. It takes exactly as much force to steer with the car stopped as it does going 100 MPH. The self aligning torque they added magically appears and disappears as the car gets sideways. It's totally fudged and feels awful.

They also added a bunch of nonsense forces when your rear tires are slipping or when you hit bumps.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

Dat Quattro is coming a lot sooner than I expected.

Wait what?

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-toyota-license-announced

quote:

Kunos Simulazioni has announced a new licensing deal as Toyota joins their Assetto Corsa simulation.

Assetto Corsa will feature six Toyotas, two of them will be racing cars while four of them will be street machinery. This continues Assetto Corsa’s rather road-car centric approach in terms of car selection as the Toyota’s will join plenty of street machinery from Lotus, Ferrari & other manufacturers.

Production:

Toyota GT-86
Toyota SUPRA MK IV
Toyota CELICA
Toyota AE-86page1image12048
Racing models:

Toyota GT-86 GT4
Toyota TS040 HYBRID
Furthermore, Kunos Simulazioni has also revealed that the TS040 Hybrid will be the first but not the only LMP1 car to join their title as more prototype racing machinery is on the horizon.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oh that's cool, didn't know they actually confirmed cars, I just figured they'd add the GT-86 and whatever else they felt like. Any clue on what generation the Celica will be?

alr
May 14, 2009

ManicJason posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the FFB in Dirt Rally is even worse after the patch? They tried to add self aligning torque, but it doesn't make any sense the way they did it. There is zero force centering the wheel when you are going forward. It takes exactly as much force to steer with the car stopped as it does going 100 MPH. The self aligning torque they added magically appears and disappears as the car gets sideways. It's totally fudged and feels awful.

They also added a bunch of nonsense forces when your rear tires are slipping or when you hit bumps.

I like it and I'm noticeably faster with it, but I agree with you on the self aligning torque. There's no alignment due to the "natural" movement/camber or whatever of the wheels and that it feels like "more slide = more force applied". The suspension FFB slider seems useless, too. If I set it above ~20% my G27 sounds like it's shaking itself to death just from normal driving and nothing much changes in game. Landing after a jump, for example, nothing happens in the wheel.

I guess overall it works for me since it seems to give me a pretty decent representation of what the cars doing, it's a lot easier for me to catch slides in RWD cars since I know exactly when the back end is about to swing back around.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Awesome that AC is getting some LMP cars. Also double awesome that this is almost as much content as the dream pack 1, but free.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Something I've been wondering since I was doing a lot of open wheel racing in Project CARS and love open wheel stuff in general, what are good sims/mods for open wheel racing? I know iRacing has a bunch of options but I'm still working on rookies there but otherwise it seems like a thing that isn't in many sims.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

njsykora posted:

Something I've been wondering since I was doing a lot of open wheel racing in Project CARS and love open wheel stuff in general, what are good sims/mods for open wheel racing? I know iRacing has a bunch of options but I'm still working on rookies there but otherwise it seems like a thing that isn't in many sims.

Stock Car Extreme has a lot of open wheel stuff. Waiting to see if it goes on a bigger sale during the steam summer sale before I pick it up myself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Torabi posted:

Stock Car Extreme has a lot of open wheel stuff. Waiting to see if it goes on a bigger sale during the steam summer sale before I pick it up myself.

Yeah I was looking at that after making that post but £17 is more than I can justify spending on another sim right now. I know Reiza said on Twitter it's not going to be a daily deal or flash sale so it's not gonna get cheaper in this sale at least.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah I was looking at that after making that post but £17 is more than I can justify spending on another sim right now. I know Reiza said on Twitter it's not going to be a daily deal or flash sale so it's not gonna get cheaper in this sale at least.

Oh? Didn't know they said that. Time to buy that poo poo in my case then!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Speaking of daily deals, Project CARS is on a flash sale for £24, which I think is the cheapest it's been yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone else seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnugyXhVsZI

Looks like the Accuforce is the worse of the three DD wheels he tested. The guys he had on seem to like the OSW and Bodnar wheel better.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone else seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnugyXhVsZI

Looks like the Accuforce is the worse of the three DD wheels he tested. The guys he had on seem to like the OSW and Bodnar wheel better.

Not a surprise that a stepper motor is not as good as a servo. Steppers are open loop controlled whereas servos are closed loop. In simpler terms, you send a pulse to a stepper and the stepper can't communicate back to the motor driver to say whether it completed the rotation (or overshot it) as requested by the driving pulse.

Steppers are good for the price for bigger movements, but they have a tendency to start drifting with lots of little movements. I assume that the second plug on the sim experience is for some sort of encoder, but that is still gonna be dogshit when compared to a properly controlled closed loop servo.

osker fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 20, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A lot of that sounded a bit like audiophile nonsense, at least to me. "You can really tell the difference between driving surfaces like dirt or grass"... I can do that with a Thrustmaster or Fanatec 911 wheel, not exactly a breakthrough. "I could catch slides easier" how does the way the motor works change the feedback in an appreciable way? The game is sending the same feedback signals to it that it would be sending to a g27. How would a better wheel drive help you in the department of being able to catch slides better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
A stronger wheel gives the FFB more room to send a variety of forces. Something like a G27 clips very quickly.

• Locked thread