Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Inflammatory posted:

please tell me you're not actually this upset that people from anime space los angeles don't all have british accents.

no, its so legitimately bad that I could not laugh at it. its expensive to do a good dub, and my expectations are tempered by that. but that isn't even hilariously bad, its just bad. did you listen to it?

it sounds like a low rent middle school production of cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
did you not see what video I was responding to?

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

hubris.height posted:

did you not see what video I was responding to?

oh. no i thought you were responding to the xenoblade x scene. sorry about that.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Inflammatory posted:

oh. no i thought you were responding to the xenoblade x scene. sorry about that.

np after reviewing the posts i figured that out. the xenoblade voice acting is fine.

my thing is that i mostly just read the subtitles (or text boxes) and never listen to voice acting anyway. i'm impatient, and never really take the time to notice voice acting unless its real bad

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dastardly posted:

Don't think it's her. The start of her sentences sound similar so that was the first voice actress I thought of but she doesn't have the same intonations when ending them.
Could just be the direction of the character? I was fairly certain it was her when I heard it too. EDIT: Ok yeah multiple comparisons, and I'm probably wrong.
Also Lyn seems to be Cherami Leigh.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 19, 2015

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
This game seems like a big mess. I really wish they just would've remastered Chronicles for the WiiU rather than the 3DS.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I think it is fine. It just isn't what some people wanted out of it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Xavier434 posted:

It definitely doesn't attract me the way Xenoblade did before it came out. It looks like it could be fun but it really doesn't look as amazing overall. Maybe giant robot combat will make up for everything.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah, honestly if the game had a different name, like I dunno XenoDolls or whatever, it'd be easier to accept that it's game from the same people with some common themes but with some striking differences at the core.

There was what, at least a year of XCX being strongly rumored and then some details began to leak with the official name and that early video with a flash of Shulk at the end? Definitely helped people begin to imagine the game they'd most enjoy and hope for their favorite parts of XC (Brit VAs, enjoyable plot, memorable characters, etc) to make a return and be complemented by a bigger world and crazy mechs and a whole new "save the universe" story, and then end up feeling a bit letdown by the actual product.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The game should've been Xenogears 2 or something.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
as someone who's only passingly familiar with the original xenoblade, i'm not sure what you guys find so special about the plot and characters. hero chosen by magic sword gets hometown wrecked by bad guys, so he sets out to get revenge with the help of big dumb guy, old mentor guy, noble princess, and cute mascot character.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inflammatory posted:

as someone who's only passingly familiar with the original xenoblade, i'm not sure what you guys find so special about the plot and characters. hero chosen by magic sword gets hometown wrecked by bad guys, so he sets out to get revenge with the help of big dumb guy, old mentor guy, noble princess, and cute mascot character.

Short answer: presentation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kalensc posted:

Yeah, honestly if the game had a different name, like I dunno XenoDolls or whatever, it'd be easier to accept that it's game from the same people with some common themes but with some striking differences at the core.

There was what, at least a year of XCX being strongly rumored and then some details began to leak with the official name and that early video with a flash of Shulk at the end? Definitely helped people begin to imagine the game they'd most enjoy and hope for their favorite parts of XC (Brit VAs, enjoyable plot, memorable characters, etc) to make a return and be complemented by a bigger world and crazy mechs and a whole new "save the universe" story, and then end up feeling a bit letdown by the actual product.

We definitely had the video with the giant robot way before the name was revealed, for the longest time it was just either X or "New Game by Monolisthsoft"

Back then I was sure it'd just be XenoSomething instead of attaching Xenoblade to it. Should've been XenoWorld.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inflammatory posted:

A certain former games mod's evangelism of the game meant that a lot of people who hadn't played a JRPG since like the SNES ended up playing it and didn't realise it had basically the same plot as every other game in that genre. Also British voice acting I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The execution was also pretty great, Metalface made you really want to play and gently caress up the bad guys to finally shut up his incoherent cockney ramblings.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

A certain former games mod's evangelism of the game meant that a lot of people who hadn't played a JRPG since like the SNES ended up playing it and didn't realise it had basically the same plot as every other game in that genre. Also British voice acting I guess.

it's pretty funny that all of his posts in this thread are him flipping out that the game's not exactly the same as xenoblade and then badly rolling with the punches when anyone says anything about it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I recently played Xenogears after finishing Blade and I'd only want a second one if it didn't turn into a insanely terrible visual novel at midpoint.

I got to the final dungeon and just straight up stopped playing because I just couldn't even pretend I gave a poo poo anymore :psyduck:.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I recently played Xenogears after finishing Blade and I'd only want a second one if it didn't turn into a insanely terrible visual novel at midpoint.

I got to the final dungeon and just straight up stopped playing because I just couldn't even pretend I gave a poo poo anymore :psyduck:.

reason that happened is that square diverted pretty much their entire budget to ff8 about halfway through development so they had to animate their design docs on a shoestring and push it out the door

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Inflammatory posted:

Well, while nothing you said is inaccurate, it's a very unfair way of summarizing the game because it strips away everything that made it feel like a revelation after the JRPG slump of the PS3/360/Wii generation.

It struck a very nice balance between being too predictable and too ridiculous in terms of character development and plot, and it had some refreshing little twists along the way. The characters were genuinely likable and the writing was fairly strong for their banter, and most of them actually developed during the game in terms of personality. I think what I enjoyed most was there were a lot of moments when you expected something cliché to happen, and then even took one step in that direction, and that swerved into something far more realistic.

Simple example is early on Shulk is starting to realize he has an affinity to the magic sword and can foresee danger, and wonders if he should tell anyone about it and at first thinks "nah, it'll scare people". Your instinct is "ah poo poo, not the terrible trope where no one shares any information with each other even though it would solve so many problems, grooooan". Then a minute later Reyn notices that Shulk is not focused and forces him to spill the beans, and it sets up a far more satisfying cutscene later in the same dungeon. A great moment between the characters on its own, and it shows rather than tells us that they have a genuinely deep friendship and history together, and it avoids the ridiculous issue of characters not sharing secrets during a life-or-death journey.

I'm not saying it deserves awards for incredible achievement in writing, but after a bunch of lackluster Final Fantasies and a few other disappointing games it was quite the breath of fresh air in JRPGs.

Sakurazuka posted:

Promoting the game was a good thing since it was pre-order or pay through the nose secondhand once you heard about it by word of mouth. You don't think it was very good, OK neat, so why not? If there's a better game from the generation that I overlooked then I'm all ears to learn about it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Do people realize that Square Enix guys who worked on Final Fantasy 15 wound up buying Xenoblade and then pretty much did everything better when they made Final Fantasy 15?

It has British Accents
Large Open Detailed World
Dinosaurs
Robots
Action based battle system

Square did not like that Xenoblade outsold Lightning Returns, so they made their own attempt at it with Final Fantasy 15.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd say Square was more influenced by trends in popular western games than anything else.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

I'd say Square was more influenced by trends in popular western games than anything else.

Popular Trends translates into Skyrim

many japanese companies just adore skyrim.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just can't take that one character's face and plastic hair. Other than that the game looks about what I'd expect for a Wii U JRPG. The VA sounds acceptable. Couldn't really get much of a gauge of gameplay in the 'treehouse' video, just looked more like Xenoblade which is kind of eh. That system got a little long in the tooth by the end of Xenoblade.

I hope the mechs deliver?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

idk what you're expecting from the mechs but they aren't really mechanically different from being on foot aside from being able to fly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm expecting to be in a mech and fight in a mech, and have cool little attacks while in a mech. If not well that's lame. The mech combat has been bad in every game that starts with Xeno but nobody really cares much as long as the mechs are cool looking and do cool things. Unlike a certain Xeno game where the mechs were like these little bipedal robots that did jack poo poo!

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Square did not like that Xenoblade outsold Lightning Returns, so they made their own attempt at it with Final Fantasy 15.

Wait, it outsold LR? whoaaaa

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

kalensc posted:

Well, while nothing you said is inaccurate, it's a very unfair way of summarizing the game because it strips away everything that made it feel like a revelation after the JRPG slump of the PS3/360/Wii generation.

It struck a very nice balance between being too predictable and too ridiculous in terms of character development and plot, and it had some refreshing little twists along the way. The characters were genuinely likable and the writing was fairly strong for their banter, and most of them actually developed during the game in terms of personality. I think what I enjoyed most was there were a lot of moments when you expected something cliché to happen, and then even took one step in that direction, and that swerved into something far more realistic.

Simple example is early on Shulk is starting to realize he has an affinity to the magic sword and can foresee danger, and wonders if he should tell anyone about it and at first thinks "nah, it'll scare people". Your instinct is "ah poo poo, not the terrible trope where no one shares any information with each other even though it would solve so many problems, grooooan". Then a minute later Reyn notices that Shulk is not focused and forces him to spill the beans, and it sets up a far more satisfying cutscene later in the same dungeon. A great moment between the characters on its own, and it shows rather than tells us that they have a genuinely deep friendship and history together, and it avoids the ridiculous issue of characters not sharing secrets during a life-or-death journey.

I'm not saying it deserves awards for incredible achievement in writing, but after a bunch of lackluster Final Fantasies and a few other disappointing games it was quite the breath of fresh air in JRPGs.

that's kinda my point, the good stuff is all in the details that you don't really get until you play the game, but people in this thread are making sweeping generalizations based for the most part on trailers and half-hour demos.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Inflammatory posted:

that's kinda my point, the good stuff is all in the details that you don't really get until you play the game, but people in this thread are making sweeping generalizations based for the most part on trailers and half-hour demos.
Welcome to every pre-release thread in the games forum, haha. What else is there to talk about??

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fungah! posted:

it's pretty funny that all of his posts in this thread are him flipping out that the game's not exactly the same as xenoblade and then badly rolling with the punches when anyone says anything about it

If you think that at any point I'm actually flipping out or genuinely upset then lmao, I'm more disappointed than anything considering how good Xenoblade is. If you think me hyping it was hyperbole or whatever then fine, great, but I wasn't the only one calling it a JRPG revolution. It sold well and garnered enough support to warrant a 3DS port, Shulk in Smash, and a sequel that sounds like was made with a blank check.

The disapppointment isn't coming from 2 minute demos or quick hands on impressions, it's from people that have put 70+ hours into it and came away with mediocre afterthoughts. I'm still buying it day one but FF15 absolutely seems like it's what X should've been.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Silvain posted:

Wait, it outsold LR? whoaaaa
LR actually didn't sell very well in general, apparently.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Best Girl posted:

LR actually didn't sell very well in general, apparently.

There's a reason why FF14 was remade from the ground up to salvage it, FF15 is actually looking great and the good director is the one involved in it and why FF7 is being remade, FF13 Trilogy shat the bed so hard that Square is doing everything to make it good again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I heard that LR was actually pretty good, but the FF13 brand pulled sales down.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

I heard that LR was actually pretty good, but the FF13 brand pulled sales down.

Yeah pretty much. 13 was less divisive in Japan and they loved Lightning, but no one there cared about a third game after the first one was already kind of jarring to them and the second sold worse.

Also I've finally finished Xenoblade like two months ago and can be one of the cool kids in this thread. The music is good too, but I have a bias towards Sawano's style, that being said there could stand to be less vocal tracks in the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Inflammatory posted:

Or maybe they have watched several hours of gameplay watching the Japanese play the full version on twitch? Good VA wasn't going to save this poo poo game.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Or maybe they have watched several hours of gameplay watching the Japanese play the full version on twitch? Good VA wasn't going to save this poo poo game.

most of them probably don't understand japanese though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

katkillad2 posted:

I'm one of the people who has watched several hours of japanese streamers on twitch, and it actually made me MORE excited for the game. Then again, the parts I liked about the original Xenoblade had nothing to do with the main plot, which is pretty much the single area that seems to be objectively worse in X. Music is a matter of taste, and the character models... Well the faces aren't winning any awards, but the costume design is super cool to me, so it's a wash. Plus, with heart-to-hearts being full-fledged quests, the story takes a more personal approach to all these characters you can recruit, which I personally prefer, even if a lot of them are basically ANIME TROPE as gently caress.

Really, if you liked the core gameplay, side missions, or general exploratory feel in Xenoblade original... Basically if you liked the GAMEPLAY in the VIDEOGAME called Xenoblade Chronicles, you'll probably find very little to complain about in XCX. Again, gauging from streams.

Plus the mechs get some seriously kickass weaponry, even if all the really cool poo poo is relegated to the back slots, but that's for mechanical reasons I suppose.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I can see why people coming into X would be disappointed if they were looking for something that was similar to the first, because really it isn't even trying to be that similar, but for me I really love that they are making a game that is trying to build on the exploration aspects of the first, because that was easily one of my favorite ways to spend time with the game. In fact I think I remember that early on they were saying that the game was partially being made to prove that Japan could do the exploration focused RPG, and that they were kinda viewing Skyrim/Bethesda as the competition for what they were making.

While it is kind of a downer that the game is not trying to match what they did in XBC, I do really love what they are doing differently (also I absolutely love the music for some reason).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The exploration in Xenoblade was cool but the quest design was trash and just finding NPCs to actually receive and hand in quests was often a hideous chore in itself, I mean the number one bit of advice people have been giving to new players in this thread is 'don't do anymore sidequests than you need to, it's just not worth it'. So unless they've picked up things in that department pretty massively, Xenoblade Sidequests: The Game really doesn't sound like something to get excited about to me

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The exploration in Xenoblade was cool but the quest design was trash and just finding NPCs to actually receive and hand in quests was often a hideous chore in itself, I mean the number one bit of advice people have been giving to new players in this thread is 'don't do anymore sidequests than you need to, it's just not worth it'. So unless they've picked up things in that department pretty massively, Xenoblade Sidequests: The Game really doesn't sound like something to get excited about to me

Most sidequests are picked up from the same place (a quest board type thing in town) so that at least has improved. More sidequests actually have real plotlines attached, with some of them actually causing permanent changes to the world (supposedly?). I haven't really hear much complaining about quest design, probably because sidequesting is actually the focal point this time around so they put more effort into it.

Also if you didn't do a bunch of sidequests you wouldn't get your relationship web nice and full of good relationships and that was just unacceptable to me. That was the one true reason I did all those boring Xenoblade quests. Too bad that game had like only one good sidequestline (Nopon drug ring) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Have they fixed the part of the game where the HUD takes up too much of the screen and the combat is booty?

• Locked thread