Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

`Nemesis posted:

Not sharing the road much anymore I guess

i love the bubbles in these pictures when the engine is still (or was) valiantly trying its best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

i love the bubbles in these pictures when the engine is still (or was) valiantly trying its best

The intake is still above water, and the headlights are still on. It could conceivably still be puttering away under there.

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
Does it count if your stories come from outside the Western world? Our driving standards are through the roof compared to some places. I've been driving a 9-seater VW around Turkey for work these past few weeks and it's been interesting.

I saw somebody riding a scooter on the pavement. They got stuck behind a group of pedestrians and started irately using the horn as if they were slow traffic.

I also saw a motorcycle riding on the pavement at midnight with no lights on.

My pet hate is this one though as it happens almost daily and makes no sense even in bad driving: when turning off a main road into a side road, with somebody behind you making the same turn, it's almost a 50/50 chance they will try to accelerate and overtake all the way around the outside curve and get there before you. If you're going to try and cut me off at least go straight across instead of all the way around? Duh-doy.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

tuna posted:

Isnt that all major roads in Salt Lake City?

Yep, it's a nice change from the rural Northeastern roads I've grown up with.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Sitting at an intersection to cross a major road (6 lanes, 3 each way, divided, with further divided single lane frontage/feeder roads). Traffic pattern for the road I'm on has opposing traffic move first. Box truck comes around to make a left, lays on his horn just in time for me to see a lady in a Nissan March panic stop past the line (she looked like she was trying to make a left hand turn against a red light). But where she's at doesn't seem right. The box van and all the other cars after him make it around, then it's green light for me, and I realize what happened. She wasn't in the left turn lane, she was actually travelling down the wrong side of the divider. What she was trying to do was cut across the intersection to the correct side - perhaps she thought she could get the timing right and get through between the lights changing.

Her right side of her car, naturally, looked like it had participated in the NTHSB's low-speed off-set testing. With the way she was driving at the box van (and her Mary-Kay reject style of fashion) I'm curious if she was looking to get the left side to match.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
:stonklol:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

She survived. . . She is also unhappy about the footage being released before her trial, but honestly, what possible defense does she have?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wasn't see pissed about the yellow truck blocking her view or something?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The thing is, from the point she started to indicate and move over she'd be able to see the traffic sat in the lane she twatted the lorry in.

She's just dumb as poo poo apparently...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

88h88 posted:

-- Truth about Belgian Drivers

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

The article won't load on my not so smart phone. Who exactly is she suing? The crash was totally her own drat fault.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who said she's suing?

I assume the trial is to determine how big an idiot she was and levy fines or whatever the punishment is in Belgium for being so stupid.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This is an art project:

Look closely, and you'll see it got a real parking ticket.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wayfinder posted:

This is an art project:

Look closely, and you'll see it got a real parking ticket.

I assume it was allowed to be there?

I suspect some parking enforcement officer is going to be made fun of mercilessly for the entire rest of his career.

"Hey, it's Johnny, the dude who gave a parking ticket to an art installation!"

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Pixelated Dragon posted:

The article won't load on my not so smart phone. Who exactly is she suing? The crash was totally her own drat fault.

Because that could have already influenced a potential juror if she had a jury trial for the criminal stupidity of her driving. Trying to poison a jury pool is a long standing tradition in American prosecutions but in Europe these things are taken more seriously.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

PT6A posted:

I assume it was allowed to be there?

I suspect some parking enforcement officer is going to be made fun of mercilessly for the entire rest of his career.

"Hey, it's Johnny, the dude who gave a parking ticket to an art installation!"

That assumes that the other parking enforcement people are smart enough to realize the error doesn't it?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Just cleaning out the ol' sim card today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RHJyTn0F4
Two turn lanes?! How does this work? :saddowns:

Also came across another one of these idiots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLml9MGxfEE

(Yeah, I curse at other drivers a lot. Only when they can't hear me though. :v: )

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

dennyk posted:

(Yeah, I curse at other drivers a lot. Only when they can't hear me though. :v: )

The vast majority of any clips off of my dash cam (if I weren't too lazy to actually pull them) would be completely profanity laced. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
<3 Eric Prydz tho

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Two armed men 16 year olds and a chase vehicle carjacked a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, video has the 911 call.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=778_1433545139

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

The thing is, from the point she started to indicate and move over she'd be able to see the traffic sat in the lane she twatted the lorry in.

I am the little pink backpack running for its life.

dennyk posted:

Just cleaning out the ol' sim card today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RHJyTn0F4
Two turn lanes?! How does this work? :saddowns:

Also came across another one of these idiots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLml9MGxfEE

Haha I know exactly where the second clip is in the first lane video.

Also that person is trying to turn left on text that says "NO LEFT TURN" :psyboom:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 20, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/drivers-lucky-escape-38900/

This is basically not far from where I am, and has a 20mph speed limit.

How?

How?

:psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I am genuinely impressed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I saw a car end up on its side on a road with a similar speed limit -- clipped the corner of a stopped car at 40-50 km/h while not paying attention. I'm sure any number of things could've happened to put it onto its roof from that point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Probably something like this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qzjdH46gY

FWD car with some steering input = drive wheels sticking out from fenders. Wheel catches something solid enough to start driving up it and at that point it's the same basic concept as some of those nasty open wheel racing crashes, just a lot slower.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of classic videos, does anyone have that video of a car (BMW?) being driven along the side of a very slight embankment (I think it was a drainage ditch or something) and just spontaneously flipping onto its back?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Uthor posted:

Speaking of classic videos, does anyone have that video of a car (BMW?) being driven along the side of a very slight embankment (I think it was a drainage ditch or something) and just spontaneously flipping onto its back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3TeWPY2maY

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

So that's who stancers are trying to Emulate. They stance out for better traction on drainage culverts. Good to know :ms:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
White car to blame? Shared blame? (possible :nms: warning)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=da3_1434922287

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The blue car wasn't signaling , and would have been in the right lane when the white car checked his mirrors and started to move over into the left lane.

The real blame goes to the vehicle with the camera in it. If he got out of the god drat left lane in the 20some seconds between his passing the truck and the car passing him in the wide open right lane, the blue car wouldn't have had to pass him on the right, and the white car would have seen him coming there in the left lane when checking his mirror before pulling out.

This is why there are laws against crusing slowly in the left lane
This is why there are laws against passing on the right.
This is why you assume everybody else on the road is a suicidal rear end in a top hat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

The blue car wasn't signaling , and would have been in the right lane when the white car checked his mirrors and started to move over into the left lane.

The real blame goes to the vehicle with the camera in it. If he got out of the god drat left lane in the 20some seconds between his passing the truck and the car passing him in the wide open right lane, the blue car wouldn't have had to pass him on the right, and the white car would have seen him coming there in the left lane when checking his mirror before pulling out.

This is why there are laws against crusing slowly in the left lane
This is why there are laws against passing on the right.
This is why you assume everybody else on the road is a suicidal rear end in a top hat.

I'd say white car is at fault, along with the guy who was cruising in the left lane. It seems like there was enough time between the blue car entering the left lane and the white car beginning to move over that they should've seen the blue car. Plus, you should have some idea what's near your car as you're actually changing lanes. That wasn't just a tap, white car was very committed to changing lanes. On a different highway, it could be someone changing into the center lane from a left lane; just because it's difficult to see, doesn't mean you're excused if you don't see it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nobody involved is completely innocent.

If the white car was more attentive to what was happening behind it probably wouldn't have happened.
If the blue car used his signal light, or was traveling closer to the speed of the other traffic it probably wouldn't have happened
If the camera car wasn't hogging the left lane it probably wouldn't have happened

The white car made an unsafe lane change.
The blue car was speeding and failed to signal.
The camera car was impeding traffic in the left lane.

The people in the white car go on with life knowing they killed somebody
The people in the blue car are dead
The people in the camera car probably didn't learn poo poo because they're obviously thick as gently caress to start with and to them this is just an interesting story they would tell their friends, if they had any.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

If the white car was more attentive to what was happening behind it probably wouldn't have happened.
If the blue car used his signal light, or was traveling closer to the speed of the other traffic it probably wouldn't have happened
If the camera car wasn't hogging the left lane it probably wouldn't have happened

The people in the camera car probably didn't learn poo poo because they're obviously thick as gently caress to start with and to them this is just an interesting story they would tell their friends, if they had any.

Yeah, pretty much this. I'd give the edge to the white car simply because they're the ones that actually took action and made contact with the blue car, but no one's completely innocent.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
White car ultimately at fault. I hate how everyone's first move is to change lanes rather than just brake and slow down. "Oh poo poo a bus is stopping to pick-up a passenger, better duck out without looking!!" More defensive driving all around would've prevented this. Blue car could've easily predicted that the White Car would make a lovely move like this.

Guy filming cruising in the left lane too ugh.

Did the blue car guy(s) die? :ohdear:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 22, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Agree the white car is majority at fault and the proximate cause.

Can't tell if the blue car is speeding since we don't know the limit or how fast the other cars are going.

Blue car is established in the left lane, white car fails to yield ROW. Blue car did take an evasive action of braking and moving to avoid with the last clear chance, but the speed did them in. Also don't take an evasive action of moving into oncoming traffic. Ever.

If I was reviewing this for arbitration and there was no way to gauge if the blue car was speeding I'd go with 100% on the white car. If the blue car was speeding, I'd probably be in the 30% range.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think the blue car ever attempted evasive action, it got shunted into the oncoming traffic by the white car.

It was hard on the brakes, and either didn't have much grip left to steer with or completely froze with indecision as the grill of a semi truck grew in the windscreen because you don't see any attempt to adjust after the contact. There was only a fraction of a second available to try and do something.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

Wait - I thought we had determined ITT that when presented with a driver hogging the left lane and not allowing you to pass all other rules go out the window and it's acceptable to turn into a road-raging murder machine on wheels? Shouldn't the driver of the blue car be completely blameless by virtue of the passing lane rage exemption?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Wait - I thought we had determined ITT that when presented with a driver hogging the left lane and not allowing you to pass all other rules go out the window and it's acceptable to turn into a road-raging murder machine on wheels? Shouldn't the driver of the blue car be completely blameless by virtue of the passing lane rage exemption?

We also determined it's ok to murder cyclists who don't obey the rules of the road, and shoot people who bang on your window.

Fortunately, the whole world doesn't go by goon rules.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I like how this random video is broken down so pedantically yet no one could agree with me earlier that the dude turning right with a bus in a lane blocking his path, then immediately changing two more lanes over to a turn lane, just may have been obscured from view initially and changed lanes too quickly.

Again, the other guy was a dick for crossing into another turn lane to go into his turn lane early, but jesus. Look at this poo poo.

Powershift posted:

PaganGoatPants posted:

White car ultimately at fault. I hate how everyone's first move is to change lanes rather than just brake and slow down. "Oh poo poo a bus is stopping to pick-up a passenger, better duck out without looking!!" More defensive driving all around would've prevented this. Blue car could've easily predicted that the White Car would make a lovely move like this.

Guy filming cruising in the left lane too ugh.

Did the blue car guy(s) die? :ohdear:

Bovril Delight posted:

Agree the white car is majority at fault and the proximate cause.

Can't tell if the blue car is speeding since we don't know the limit or how fast the other cars are going.

Blue car is established in the left lane, white car fails to yield ROW. Blue car did take an evasive action of braking and moving to avoid with the last clear chance, but the speed did them in. Also don't take an evasive action of moving into oncoming traffic. Ever.

If I was reviewing this for arbitration and there was no way to gauge if the blue car was speeding I'd go with 100% on the white car. If the blue car was speeding, I'd probably be in the 30% range.

xzzy posted:

I don't think the blue car ever attempted evasive action, it got shunted into the oncoming traffic by the white car.

It was hard on the brakes, and either didn't have much grip left to steer with or completely froze with indecision as the grill of a semi truck grew in the windscreen because you don't see any attempt to adjust after the contact. There was only a fraction of a second available to try and do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nsaP posted:

I like how this random video is broken down so pedantically yet no one could agree with me earlier that the dude turning right with a bus in a lane blocking his path, then immediately changing two more lanes over to a turn lane, just may have been obscured from view initially and changed lanes too quickly.

:lol: you're mixing up 2 of my video into one. The person was going the wrong direction in my lane and there was no accident and it was a low speed >25mph video. In this video it looks like both occupants died or nearly did die which is a bit more serious than 2 people driving near each other at <25mph speeds. Get a grip on your quest to be peer-approved 100% online or whatever.