Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

until then it's running full tilt. After that it's running about 50% of the time.

I get what you're saying here, but understand that almost all AC units are on or off. They use no more or less power based on cycle. If they "short cycle" (meaning they are oversized for your home) humidity control will suffer, but not power consumption.

Ciaphas posted:

At these kinds of conditions, is it really even saving me any money to let the temperature rise during the day?

Yes. You just need to figure out how soon you need to turn the temp to your desired set point or get a smart thermostat that figures out how long that will take based on the outside temperature.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can probably save more money by lowering the temperature you'll let it be during the day, so that it'll be closer to what you want when you get home. It should only run in a few more bursts during the day, and the rampdown to night time temp should be much shorter.

You're already letting your coolest temp be 77, so you're already saving a good deal of power to start with.

Can you explain how you think this is the case?

It sounds like you're confused with something like a heat pump that will run electric loading coils ("emergency heat") if the thermostat call for heat it too far away from the ambient room temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Kingdom posted:

As you have probably heard by now, Donald Trump raised a stink by using Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" to launch his presidential campaign. Trump says he paid ASCAP the licensing fee to use the song, but Young disagrees.

What is the law concerning this? Did Trump need to get Young's permission?

I'm pretty sure the whole point of ASCAP is to let your songs be licensed without actually having to deal with it yourself. I'm pretty sure (but don't know) that you don't really get notified by ASCAP of when your stuff is licensed (before the check, at least), nor if you get a say in who can or can't.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

Can you explain how you think this is the case?

It sounds like you're confused with something like a heat pump that will run electric loading coils ("emergency heat") if the thermostat call for heat it too far away from the ambient room temperature.

Explain what? If a room is hotter, the air conditioner must run longer to bring it down to a certain desired temperature. It does not take the same time to bring say 80 down to 77 as it does to take 86 down to 77.

Also when maintaining the temperature against high outside heat, 86 will require the AC to run less than say 80, due to the fact that it will be warm enough outside to kick the AC on for a longer time throughout the day at a lower temp. Many days, if its set at 86 it might barely need to kick on.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Can't find a relevant thread for this so I will post this here.

My one year lease is up at the end of August. Currently pay $1000 a month but my landlord is raising the rent to $1050. I have spoken to my landlord in the past about going month to month but he is not comfortable with it. He has told me he might be able to do a 6 month lease that will be able to be renewed next year in March. He said something about how it is hard to find tenants during the Fall / Winter.

The thing is, there is no way I want to sign a one year lease. I will be more comfortable telling him that I can pay $1100 - $1150 to go month to month. Does anyone have any experience negotiating something like this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Explain what? If a room is hotter, the air conditioner must run longer to bring it down to a certain desired temperature. It does not take the same time to bring say 80 down to 77 as it does to take 86 down to 77.

Also when maintaining the temperature against high outside heat, 86 will require the AC to run less than say 80, due to the fact that it will be warm enough outside to kick the AC on for a longer time throughout the day at a lower temp. Many days, if its set at 86 it might barely need to kick on.

The part I was asking you to explain was how you don't understand that no matter how hot it gets inside it's always more energy efficient to bring it down to your desired comfort temperature as late as possible.

Yes, it absolutely is faster/more energy efficient to bring a room to 77 from to 80 rather than 86.........it's just not efficient to keep it at 80 for that purpose while you aren't there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

The part I was asking you to explain was how you don't understand that no matter how hot it gets inside it's always more energy efficient to bring it down to your desired comfort temperature as late as possible.

Yes, it absolutely is faster/more energy efficient to bring a room to 77 from to 80 rather than 86.........it's just not efficient to keep it at 80 for that purpose while you aren't there.

I specifically said 80 would be less efficient than his current 86 for just hanging out during the day though? Are you sure you actually read the post?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Can't find a relevant thread for this so I will post this here.

My one year lease is up at the end of August. Currently pay $1000 a month but my landlord is raising the rent to $1050. I have spoken to my landlord in the past about going month to month but he is not comfortable with it. He has told me he might be able to do a 6 month lease that will be able to be renewed next year in March. He said something about how it is hard to find tenants during the Fall / Winter.

The thing is, there is no way I want to sign a one year lease. I will be more comfortable telling him that I can pay $1100 - $1150 to go month to month. Does anyone have any experience negotiating something like this?
There's a "Gooncaves & Gardens" thread below this one that deals with lease issues.

He's right. It's difficult to find a tenant in Nov / Dec / Jan. You might tell him that you can do the $1050 on a month to month basis and you will agree (in writing) not to move in Nov / Dec / Jan.

If he doesn't agree, sweeten the pot to $1100. If he still doesn't agree, sweeten the pot to $1150. But start low, not with $1100.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mister Kingdom posted:

As you have probably heard by now, Donald Trump raised a stink by using Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" to launch his presidential campaign. Trump says he paid ASCAP the licensing fee to use the song, but Young disagrees.

What is the law concerning this? Did Trump need to get Young's permission?

If Trump paid the licensing fee, he should be able to use the song. But ASCAP should have told Young's people, because you can charge more when you don't want people to use the song. No, my bad, that's only for recording a song someone else wrote, not for mechanical licensing.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 19, 2015

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Do explosive barrels, like in video games, exist? Is there any substance that, if placed in a box or barrel, will explode when shot once or a few times? And I mean stuff that belongs in a barrel, i.e. liquid. No loading it up with TNT and doing it.

Now that I write it, nitroglycerin probably counts. But would that even be stored in a large quantity in a barrel? Basically, I'm looking for a substance that is 1) commonly stored in quantity in barrels, and 2) will explode when said barrel is shot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why are some foods (berries are the best example I can think of) expensive as hell when fresh, but pretty cheap when they are frozen/dried or canned? Is most of the cost for fresh berries related to them having a short shelf life+transportation? Bananas and a bunch of other fruits require more space to transport, have a short shelf life and are still dirt cheap to buy fresh.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I don't know how it's stored but tannerite is something that explodes when shot with rifle bullets, i think it's a powder, idk I've never seen it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NESguerilla posted:

Why are some foods (berries are the best example I can think of) expensive as hell when fresh, but pretty cheap when they are frozen/dried or canned? Is most of the cost for fresh berries related to them having a short shelf life+transportation? Bananas and a bunch of other fruits require more space to transport, have a short shelf life and are still dirt cheap to buy fresh.
Bananas can be harvested year round, most berries have a relatively short harvest season.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 19, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You can pick bananas green, ship them without being particularly careful, then when they are ready for final distribution, pump the truck full of Ethylene and they ripen in a few hours.

Can't do that with berries.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

I specifically said 80 would be less efficient than his current 86 for just hanging out during the day though? Are you sure you actually read the post?

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can probably save more money by lowering the temperature you'll let it be during the day [snip]

Perhaps this was a typo on your part, but I certainly read the second quote and assumed you meant it would be more cost/energy efficient to lower the daytime interior temperature from 86 to 80.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Golbez posted:

Do explosive barrels, like in video games, exist? Is there any substance that, if placed in a box or barrel, will explode when shot once or a few times? And I mean stuff that belongs in a barrel, i.e. liquid. No loading it up with TNT and doing it.

Now that I write it, nitroglycerin probably counts. But would that even be stored in a large quantity in a barrel? Basically, I'm looking for a substance that is 1) commonly stored in quantity in barrels, and 2) will explode when said barrel is shot.

Come ask the deranged chemistry thread. I'm sure we'll come up with plenty of stuff you don't want to be around if a barrel of it gets shot.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Golbez posted:

Probably gunpowder when hit with a tracer round.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4inuOvcPCc0

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 19, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Come ask the deranged chemistry thread. I'm sure we'll come up with plenty of stuff you don't want to be around if a barrel of it gets shot.

Oh my god. I never go into PYF, but I may have to start after reading the first page of that thread.

The first forty posts are just a constant string of :stare: and :aaa:.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

I hate moving for this very reason, everyone who rents an apartment before me apparently has a million accounts in collections, court violations, and 50 catalog subscriptions.

My mail carrier told me if you write the names of the current residents on your mailbox, the carrier is not supposed to deliver mail with anyone else's name. That takes care of a good chunk of it. Anything else that gets through, keep doing what you're doing. Write wrong address and send it back. You'll eventually get less and less. I've heard that you can also fill out a change of address form for them at the post office, and for the new address write "moved, left no forwarding address," but a I've never done it.

That's a great idea, thanks! I'll try putting something up this weekend; unfortunately my mail carrier seems like a total moron so I don't know if she'll pay attention.

Got another question. Miller moths: how do I kill them in bulk? It's moth season in Denver and these things are really loving disgusting; I killed 5 of them last night that appeared while I was trying to sleep and with the incoming heat wave it's only going to get worse.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

When many foods are fresh you generally only have a limited amount of time to transport them to market before they go bad, which means both pricier transportation needed and sometimes having to fly them from thousands and thousands of miles away. Meanwhile, if you freeze/dry/can them, then you can just prepare a whole bunch of them real close to the source, and keep them in stock year round for cheap.

Something like bananas on the other hand, even though you pick them fresh they actually need to sit around for a while til they're ripe, which is why so many stores sell them nearly ripe but not quite. As a result they can be sent by cheaper modes of transport, and they'll happily give you as much as a week of breathing room.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gravity Pike posted:

HBO says that "All members of a household can watch HBO GO at the same time," and seem kinda cagey about giving out a number. This probably means that there's a manual override, and they can set the number per-account, and don't want you to know about it.

I saw that and thought someone might know a hard number, but I suppose we'll just wing it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've used the Amazon App Store a few times for their free app of the day...as a result, if I go to my Amazon recommendations, it is 80-90% apps.

Is there a way to tell Amazon to never recommend apps?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I have a battleship of a desk in my room. It's older than I am, made out of metal, and looks like the sort of thing that could double as a fallout shelter. I need to take it apart ( with the intent of putting it back together ), but I have no idea where to even begin. I've looked everywhere, and found a grand total of two external screws. Google has been less than helpful, and Steelcase doesn't seem to have directions for desks as old as mine on their website.

Help?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I'm going across the country on an AmTrak train tonight and I was just curious if there were any little things I should be aware of while either in the stations or on board. I've never been on a train before, so I'm a little nervous, I guess.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I have a battleship of a desk in my room. It's older than I am, made out of metal, and looks like the sort of thing that could double as a fallout shelter. I need to take it apart ( with the intent of putting it back together ), but I have no idea where to even begin. I've looked everywhere, and found a grand total of two external screws. Google has been less than helpful, and Steelcase doesn't seem to have directions for desks as old as mine on their website.

Help?
You might try writing an email to Steelcase; they have notoriously good customer service.

Are you sure it even comes apart?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

You might try writing an email to Steelcase; they have notoriously good customer service.

Are you sure it even comes apart?

Really? I'll give that a shot.

Uh, no. I'm not sure it comes apart, but moving it around is a real bitch. I have a friend that did a lot of work with Steelcase desks and he insists that most of them come apart. Unfortunately, he's unavailable to actually help.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FrumpleOrz posted:

I'm going across the country on an AmTrak train tonight and I was just curious if there were any little things I should be aware of while either in the stations or on board. I've never been on a train before, so I'm a little nervous, I guess.
Why are you taking Amtrak instead of Greyhound? Amtrak will usually take as long or longer even if nothing goes wrong but jokes on you they will literally ALWAYS run several hours behind schedule and cost more than a comparable Greyhound route.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why are you taking Amtrak instead of Greyhound? Amtrak will usually take as long or longer even if nothing goes wrong but jokes on you they will literally ALWAYS run several hours behind schedule and cost more than a comparable Greyhound route.

This is just plain wrong. Amtrak is quite often cheaper, and the seats are way more comfortable. Plus you can actually safely get up and walk around instead of just having a narrow bus aisle or two.

And when you're going thousands of miles being late a few hours doesn't mean jackshit. Oh no, you took 63 hours instead of 60!

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Uh, no. I'm not sure it comes apart, but moving it around is a real bitch. I have a friend that did a lot of work with Steelcase desks and he insists that most of them come apart. Unfortunately, he's unavailable to actually help.

Post a picture of it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is just plain wrong. Amtrak is quite often cheaper, and the seats are way more comfortable. Plus you can actually safely get up and walk around instead of just having a narrow bus aisle or two.

And when you're going thousands of miles being late a few hours doesn't mean jackshit. Oh no, you took 63 hours instead of 60!

Yeah, my sister took Amtrak a relatively short distance home from Chicago once, and she said it was way nicer than the South Shore Line she normally takes. Dunno about the price compared to Greyhound, but it was considerably more than the SSL.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm not paying for it, someone else did. Even if I wanted to take a Grayhound, the ticket for the train is already purchased and it leaves tonight. It looks a helluva lot more comfortable on the train than a bus too. Regardless, even if it takes a little longer, I'll be on the train playing on my PS Vita and/or using my computer with the Wi-Fi, which is exactly what I'd be doing at home. My time is completely worthless.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

FrumpleOrz posted:

I'm not paying for it, someone else did. Even if I wanted to take a Grayhound, the ticket for the train is already purchased and it leaves tonight. It looks a helluva lot more comfortable on the train than a bus too. Regardless, even if it takes a little longer, I'll be on the train playing on my PS Vita and/or using my computer with the Wi-Fi, which is exactly what I'd be doing at home. My time is completely worthless.

There should be ac outlets available to you. And a microwave in the cafe car. Bring a lock to lock your bag to the rack when you nap or get up. Bring lots of snacks. If you're a total goon bring a board game to play in the observation car.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If it's held together by rivets you'll need to drill therm out and then use a rivet gun to reassemble. It sounds lovely but really isn't that bad

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Snorkzilla posted:

If it's held together by rivets you'll need to drill therm out and then use a rivet gun to reassemble. It sounds lovely but really isn't that bad

You might be able to get away with chicago screws for reassembly.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've used the Amazon App Store a few times for their free app of the day...as a result, if I go to my Amazon recommendations, it is 80-90% apps.

Is there a way to tell Amazon to never recommend apps?

There used to be a way to disable using a specific item to get recommendations, but I can't find it now. Even with that you'd have to disable all the individual apps you downloaded.

eta: It's still there, go to "your recommendations" under your account, find a recommendation that you're mad about, click "why recommended" and then you'll see what item generated the recommendation and you can click "don't use this for recommendations".

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 20, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is there a online database or place to learn about symbolism in art? Or a book? Mean more for hobbyists/laypersons, I guess. Funtime reading. I was just wondering about La Pensierosa by Marie Stillman [and other pre-raphaelite paintings]. Why is the girl thinking about plums? Or is it without symbolism?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Wedemeyer posted:

Is there a online database or place to learn about symbolism in art? Or a book? Mean more for hobbyists/laypersons, I guess. Funtime reading. I was just wondering about La Pensierosa by Marie Stillman [and other pre-raphaelite paintings]. Why is the girl thinking about plums? Or is it without symbolism?

I don't know about a large collective resource, but I'm sure you can find ramblings on well-known paintings. Some kinds of fruit in old paintings are meant to connote wealth. Usually it's flowers that are loaded with more specific meanings.

The other major fruit symbolism is ripening. In this case almost certainly sexual, or at least from child into adult. Plums have a kind of association with virginity and sexual maturity, because they are one of the first fruits to ripen in spring after winter.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
What is a good way to keep track of reading for college? Are there any recommended reading list apps or websites?

It's the first time I've had to deal with such a volume of reading from different sources (around 600 pgs over 25 documents per class per week) and I'm stuggling to keep track of where I've got to. Previously I used to highlight my notes so at least I could tell roughly where I was, but almost all of this stuff is digital and it feels wasteful to print it all out or annoying to mark up on a computer.

I've got NVivo, Evernote and Endnote, but none of this stuff is going to be used for projects, so it seems like a lot of time to put in for something that won't ever be referenced or analysed like that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rolled Cabbage posted:

What is a good way to keep track of reading for college? Are there any recommended reading list apps or websites?

It's the first time I've had to deal with such a volume of reading from different sources (around 600 pgs over 25 documents per class per week) and I'm stuggling to keep track of where I've got to. Previously I used to highlight my notes so at least I could tell roughly where I was, but almost all of this stuff is digital and it feels wasteful to print it all out or annoying to mark up on a computer.

I've got NVivo, Evernote and Endnote, but none of this stuff is going to be used for projects, so it seems like a lot of time to put in for something that won't ever be referenced or analysed like that.

You need to develop a solid workflow for this kind of thing. Here's mine:

Create an Evernote reading/assignment tracker for the semester. Put this in your shortcuts.
Create headings for classes, and subheadings for weeks. Put a checkbox next to every reading and assignment you need to do and list them (cmd shift c/ctrl shift c is the hotkey). Check these off when you've read them. I also make these into hyperlinks using the reading's permalink, in case something fails.

Meanwhile, download the readings into Dropbox folders for each course and rename them with the scheme [author] - [title].pdf. Get a program like Adobe Acrobat and OCR any PDFs that haven't been scanned properly. This is vital for indexing.

Get Goodreader (a PDF reader and file system manager for iOS) and sync that Dropbox folder. Other apps may work but I've used Goodreader since like 2009 and it's the poo poo.

Now, when you're talking about Althusser in Sociology 500 you can go to Goodreader, open the class folder, crack open the reading by author, and open an annotation view where you highlighted passages and wrote "WTF" when he starts going on about overdetermination or whatever. Or see that you didn't bother reading it in your tracker and pay closer attention.

This is how I've managed my 8- or 9-course semesters and it's been pretty painless.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I recently took up walking again, and am thinking of buying a new pair of boots. I currently own a pair of Brasher Fellmasters. These are in good condition, and while perfect for wet and cold days, I was wondering if there's anything slightly lighter and more breathable for summer use. For now, I'll probably be doing 10-15 miles, mainly on trails but with a bit of mild hillwalking thrown in. Does anyone have some decent reccommendations? I wear a UK size 10, and have slightly wide feet just to complicate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

I recently took up walking again, and am thinking of buying a new pair of boots. I currently own a pair of Brasher Fellmasters. These are in good condition, and while perfect for wet and cold days, I was wondering if there's anything slightly lighter and more breathable for summer use. For now, I'll probably be doing 10-15 miles, mainly on trails but with a bit of mild hillwalking thrown in. Does anyone have some decent reccommendations? I wear a UK size 10, and have slightly wide feet just to complicate things.

A pair of trail running shoes might do the trick unless you really want the ankle support provided by a boot. That + a light pair of socks is my usual summer hiking footwear.

No matter what anyone tells you, do not try hiking in Tevas or Vibrams.