Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
That's a misunderstanding of how they actually work. You can force it to accept a signal up to ~85Hz or so, but it will not display all 85 frames. It will still display 60, with the remaining 25 simply discarded and not displayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

DrDork posted:

That's a misunderstanding of how they actually work. You can force it to accept a signal up to ~85Hz or so, but it will not display all 85 frames. It will still display 60, with the remaining 25 simply discarded and not displayed.

Ah, so the guy doing it placebo'ing? "Yea, so much smoother *drops 25 frames*"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If there's a window behind where I sit (so the light is coming over my shoulders to hit the screen). "In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H" will be good, right?

Thinking about getting a pair of Dell U2414H's: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=860-BBCG&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If there's a window behind where I sit (so the light is coming over my shoulders to hit the screen). "In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H" will be good, right?

Not necessarily. I find too much light on anti glare screens makes them completely unreadable.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm likely getting annoying flopping back and forth between monitors, but there is this fairly cheap TN panel Asus. From purely a gaming standpoint, is this a good monitor? I don't do much on my computer besides gaming, videos and forums so the added expense of an IPS is gnawing at me.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

FaustianQ posted:

I'm likely getting annoying flopping back and forth between monitors, but there is this fairly cheap TN panel Asus. From purely a gaming standpoint, is this a good monitor? I don't do much on my computer besides gaming, videos and forums so the added expense of an IPS is gnawing at me.

Your link is broken, so I don't know which monitor you're talking about, but no.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

FaustianQ posted:

the added expense of an IPS is gnawing at me.

The added expense of an IPS is worth it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingEup posted:

Not necessarily. I find too much light on anti glare screens makes them completely unreadable.

Is there a better alternative?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The alternative to anti-glare is a shaving mirror, so no.

I dunno why some people insist in applying 2 inches of the matte thing, though. It's not the anti-glare itself that's the problem, it's the idiots applying it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Fixed the link.

Zorilla posted:

Your link is broken, so I don't know which monitor you're talking about, but no.

Asus VG248QE, 24" 144hz 1080p TN panel.

KingEup posted:

The added expense of an IPS is worth it.

But is 144hz worth it over 60hz? I keep hearing people talk about how a higher refresh rate is really needed, but high refresh rate IPS is either out of my reach or stuck on DVI-D exclusively.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is there a better alternative?

A glossy screen... but is not necessarily better. It is just the alternative. It is impossible to know which will be better in your particular environment. In my environment (with a big window directly behind me a glossy screen provides better results than a screen with an antiglare coating):

In my environment there is no perfect monitor choice, I just happen to think one is more usable than the other.

$199 http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=860-BBEM

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 18, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

FaustianQ posted:

Fixed the link.

Asus VG248QE, 24" 144hz 1080p TN panel.

But is 144hz worth it over 60hz? I keep hearing people talk about how a higher refresh rate is really needed, but high refresh rate IPS is either out of my reach or stuck on DVI-D exclusively.

When you said "cheap TN", I thought you meant exactly that and not one of those pricier 144Hz models. Still, for most people, the benefit of IPS over TN is much greater than that of 144Hz over 60Hz. This is especially true if you aren't expecting to get well over 60fps consistently in whatever games you play.

Also, DVI isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Until monitor manufacturers get their act together and stop adding half-broken implementations of DisplayPort and HDMI (no standby signal/totally disconnects if you manually power off the monitor), DVI is what I recommend using anyway.

Edit: I guess I could be a bit wrong on that if AMD is really pushing out cards without DVI. Anyway, the ASUS PB278Q is a great choice, especially if you find yourself needing to use it with a laptop or something in the future.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 18, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Ah, so the guy doing it placebo'ing? "Yea, so much smoother *drops 25 frames*"

Placebo can be a powerful thing. Monoprice sold a 1600p Korean as 120Hz for a couple months before it was discovered that not a single one of them displayed a frame over 60Hz.

A similar frame dropping happens with the multi-input QNIX's that some will insist still overclock.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Alright, going to go with the Asus 27" IPS for 430$. It's overall cheaper than getting a QNIX or Crossover and suddenly needing an active adapter, plus warranty. I don't get motion sick or have any issues with my current 60hz monitor, so :shrug:

Looking a bit deeper there seems to be a 2012 and a 2014 model, with the 2014 model being superior. I can't seem to find the 2014 model, so I'm wondering if it's just that the photos for it on amazon/newegg have never been updated, and I'll get the 2014 model. If not, can I get Asus to replace a 2012 for a 2014 model?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 18, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingEup posted:

A glossy screen... but is not necessarily better. It is just the alternative. It is impossible to know which will be better in your particular environment. In my environment (with a big window directly behind me a glossy screen provides better results than a screen with an antiglare coating):

In my environment there is no perfect monitor choice, I just happen to think one is more usable than the other.

$199 http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=860-BBEM

drat. This is not the answer I wanted. I was hoping technology had Magically Fixed Everything while I was away.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FaustianQ posted:

Alright, going to go with the Asus 27" IPS for 430$. It's overall cheaper than getting a QNIX or Crossover and suddenly needing an active adapter, plus warranty. I don't get motion sick or have any issues with my current 60hz monitor, so :shrug:

Looking a bit deeper there seems to be a 2012 and a 2014 model, with the 2014 model being superior. I can't seem to find the 2014 model, so I'm wondering if it's just that the photos for it on amazon/newegg have never been updated, and I'll get the 2014 model. If not, can I get Asus to replace a 2012 for a 2014 model?

Not trying to talk you out of the Asus, but why would the Qnix or Crossover require an adapter? Did you settle on a GPU yet?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Not trying to talk you out of the Asus, but why would the Qnix or Crossover require an adapter? Did you settle on a GPU yet?

I think he is referring to the new AMD cards lacking DL-DVI without an activate adaptor (and no overclocking).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

I think he is referring to the new AMD cards lacking DL-DVI without an activate adaptor (and no overclocking).

This is a really annoying bit.

I wonder if DVI dongles exist that report higher refresh rates through EDID than the monitor? I doubt it, but there might be a market for it once dvi dies :v:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BurritoJustice posted:

Ahh gotcha, that's why I asked on the whole "did you settle on a GPU" since he was asking for advice in the PC Upgrading thread too :)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Truga posted:

This is a really annoying bit.

I wonder if DVI dongles exist that report higher refresh rates through EDID than the monitor? I doubt it, but there might be a market for it once dvi dies :v:

AFAIK no DL-DVI active adaptors support greater than 60Hz 1440p, as the refresh rates that people are pushing with QNIX's are way out of pixel clock spec for DVI. I wouldn't expect this to change.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

drat. This is not the answer I wanted. I was hoping technology had Magically Fixed Everything while I was away.
I got this LG 27MB85R-B with the anti-glare coating, and have a window behind me.. the technology you seek is called "new black very dark curtains".

On another note, what do people use to clean their screens? I accidentally touched my screen then tried to wipe the smudge off with a microfiber cloth and that just spread it around a little more :doh:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

BurritoJustice posted:

AFAIK no DL-DVI active adaptors support greater than 60Hz 1440p, as the refresh rates that people are pushing with QNIX's are way out of pixel clock spec for DVI. I wouldn't expect this to change.

Would this be the part of the reason why the OC can vary so much, including by cable?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Varg posted:

On another note, what do people use to clean their screens? I accidentally touched my screen then tried to wipe the smudge off with a microfiber cloth and that just spread it around a little more :doh:
Get a spray bottle of eyeglasses cleaner from walgreens or whatever. Dries quickly and avoids streaking.

edit: You could also do the thing below but I'm lazy and the bottle was all of $2.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Varg posted:

A clean, barely damp cotton cloth, followed by a fine microfiber cloth as the surface dries to prevent streaks.

Matte screens can be kind of a pain because of the way oil and smudges stick to the surface. A couple iterations of the above should do it, though. Those silicone-based substances like eyeglass cleaners aren't totally necessary if you don't have any laying around.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Soooooo, has anyone tried the ASUS MG279Q yet? 27" 144Hz IPS with DP and a USB 3 hub is pretty enticing for $600.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Mazz posted:

Would this be the part of the reason why the OC can vary so much, including by cable?

Not with regards to adaptors, none of them can overclock, because why would a company make one to work out of spec. But as far as cables go it can certainly have an effect. The included cable is thick and short and works well, but people have been known to have problems with longer or thinner cables not doing the higher refresh rates without problems.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Not with regards to adaptors, none of them can overclock, because why would a company make one to work out of spec.
To be fair, the answer is the same as "why would a company make a (monitor|videocard|CPU|everything else we overclock) work out of spec. They just haven't yet because there's been no compelling reason to up until now.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

DrDork posted:

Soooooo, has anyone tried the ASUS MG279Q yet? 27" 144Hz IPS with DP and a USB 3 hub is pretty enticing for $600.

TFTCentral liked it. It's not the Acer Predator despite using the same panel, but it's as close as any FreeSync monitor has gotten.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I've been tempted upward even further because playing monitor lottery without assurances on that I can get the much better Asus PB278Q 2014 model. (apparently the 2012 model is awful).

There is also used BenQ2710PT monitors for 360$, which are apparently really good monitors.

God I'm loving bad at this, part of me just wants to accept a really good monitor is a huge loving investment, and get the damned, rather amazing, MG279Q.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FaustianQ posted:

Just accept a really good monitor is a huge loving investment, and get the damned, rather amazing, MG279Q.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

There is also used BenQ2710PT monitors for 360$, which are apparently really good monitors.
I've already got a QNix, though, so if I got a new monitor it'd have to at least do 96Hz for me to bother.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Done, got the MG279Q. I don't think I'll need another monitor for what, 5 years?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had my 30" for over 6 years now, and I don't see it not using for another 5 unless it dies.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Truga posted:

I've had my 30" for over 6 years now, and I don't see it not using for another 5 unless it dies.

I'm thinking that the ports simply get old, and unused, not that the panel will go bad.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I am considering the AOC Q2577PWQ . 25", 2560x1440 px (117.49 ppi), IPS panel. I want to use this chiefly for gaming (see my post in the PC setup thread), and for some photo editing.

Would anybody have any objections to this idea?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ridgewell posted:

I am considering the AOC Q2577PWQ . 25", 2560x1440 px (117.49 ppi), IPS panel. I want to use this chiefly for gaming (see my post in the PC setup thread), and for some photo editing.

Would anybody have any objections to this idea?

Do you have to sit relatively close to your screen for some reason? 25" 1440p is pretty small, even if the PPI is in the clarity sweet spot.

I'd opt for a couple more inches for impact and perceived workspace over pixel density; nothing is inherently wrong with the monitor though -- AOC makes decent stuff, IMO.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you have to sit relatively close to your screen for some reason? 25" 1440p is pretty small, even if the PPI is in the clarity sweet spot.

I'd opt for a couple more inches for impact and perceived workspace over pixel density; nothing is inherently wrong with the monitor though -- AOC makes decent stuff, IMO.

Thank you for your feedback, that is reassuring and I will probably buy it.

My screen will be relatively close, and in general I have come to prefer pixel density over size recently. I notice how great that is on my mobile devices (which I use a lot even while I sit at the computer), and I would prefer it on my PC screen as well.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

How big is the difference between a 100Hz and 144Hz G-SYNC monitor? Are there diminishing returns once you start going beyond 100Hz or is it a case of "the more frames, the better"?

I'm trying to decide if a 100Hz 3440x1440 or 144Hz 2560x1440 would be the better upgrade (from an LG 34UM95) and I've never used a monitor with G-SYNC or higher than a 60hz panel.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Diminishing returns tend to kick in pretty quickly after 72Hz for most people, unless you've got 'golden eyes' you won't notice much if any difference past 100Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Diminishing returns tend to kick in pretty quickly after 72Hz for most people, unless you've got 'golden eyes' you won't notice much if any difference past 100Hz.

Personally I remember the CRT days, and a CRT driven at 60Hz would be uncomfortable to look at, 75Hz was OK but I could still perceive flickering, especially when viewed in peripheral vision; however 85Hz and above seemed to stop the flickering, so all these VR headsets targeting 90Hz are probably bang on. High enough to be smooth, but low enough to be achievable by a graphics card you can buy.

Of course, perception may vary.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 19, 2015