Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Yeah, just kill everybody and save yourself the hassle. I once tried to do a complete ghost run in Expert+ on a mission; it took 3 turns to move a single agent through a room because of the guards' patrol paths, and I had to move three agents through. I did way more damage to myself by waiting those 9 turns instead of just taking the guards out of the picture. All the corporations are easy with specific setups: KEO just needs decent hacking, Sankaku is a complete joke with Leash, Plastech requires a willingness and means to kill those lovely hacker guards, and FTM's gimmick isn't really all that troublesome, to be honest. I usually move fast enough that I can find the scanner before Alarm 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Fangz posted:

He comes with +1 speed built in....

dyzzy posted:

Sounds like they just converted the old starting augment to a +1 speed at the start. I think having him start with a level in speed is more elegant since having augs that just duplicate stats is kind of boring. His daemon scanning isn't amazing, for sure, but he's not worse off compared to his old self. Plus you don't always have a daemon database handy every time.

I'd much prefer the +1 speed aug since it's trivially easy to add a level or two of speed to a new agent, and a free +1AP on top of that at all times is a really good bonus. I don't like his daemon sniffer at all, it just isn't very good imo. It's way too situational and it becomes largely useless once you have Xu/a daemon-mitigation program of some kind.

I'm just grumpy because I love his character design but don't like actually using him very much anymore :smith: the cloak is really his only saving grace now, and when you find him in jail it's like "oh. Okay I guess."

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah -- I'm pretty excited for more mods coming in because there's a lot of fun stuff you could do -- Decker could automatically observe any guard he's within 5 spaces of, for example.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'd much prefer the +1 speed aug since it's trivially easy to add a level or two of speed to a new agent, and a free +1AP on top of that at all times is a really good bonus. I don't like his daemon sniffer at all, it just isn't very good imo. It's way too situational and it becomes largely useless once you have Xu/a daemon-mitigation program of some kind.

I'm just grumpy because I love his character design but don't like actually using him very much anymore :smith: the cloak is really his only saving grace now, and when you find him in jail it's like "oh. Okay I guess."

Well, you sacrifice 1 AP in the long term, in the rare case where you max out speed, in favour of being able to use a cloaking device immediately if you pick up one without having to pay extra.

For a beginner's starter agent, frontloading the goodness - and not adding any new complicated mechanics - seems like a good move.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 28, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fangz posted:

He comes with +1 speed built in....

dyzzy posted:

Sounds like they just converted the old starting augment to a +1 speed at the start. I think having him start with a level in speed is more elegant since having augs that just duplicate stats is kind of boring. His daemon scanning isn't amazing, for sure, but he's not worse off compared to his old self. Plus you don't always have a daemon database handy every time.

You misunderstand. The Early Access Decker had an augment that gives him +1 AP every turn, no questions asked, on top of starting with one level in Speed. So everyone else starts the game at 8AP and he started at 10AP, with a cloaking rig. His cloaking rig was also the same as the current Cloaking Rig II, cloaking rigs got a nerf during EA. Decker was very good. Bland, but good.

I do not think I have ever once used his current augment. It's just not very good at all. That said, Archived Decker's augment is hilarious and I use it constantly, it's just incredible.

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah -- I'm pretty excited for more mods coming in because there's a lot of fun stuff you could do -- Decker could automatically observe any guard he's within 5 spaces of, for example.

I love this idea a lot, that would be an absolutely incredible augment. And it'd pair really nicely with Internationale as the starting duo, whose main power is the ability to give the player more information to work with.

EDIT: Or for something more sensible and also spy-related, maybe the ability to TAG any guard he ends his turn within one space of? That'd be really fun and clever to play with.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 28, 2015

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
So, I really, really suck at this game but I love it. I feel like a huge jerk because I just had to make up for my lack of skill by making a really dickish decision.

It started here, when I uh misread the mission objective and endep up wandering for WAY too long, which resulted in the alarm level 6 you see right there. I was...in a bit of trouble, yeah. Decker had cloaking, but there were literally enough guards that they were blocking the goddamn door haha. Plus they had Decker's location memorized due to a bunch of mistakes I made already. So I had to attract their attention somehow.

So at this point I remember I found a hostage, but he was a side-objective anyway so he wasn't too important. There was only one way to exit that room...so I gave him a gun and hid Decker in a corner. Then I had the hostage overwatch and basically attract attention of every guard on the map, which by that point was a LOT.

"Thanks for the help, hostage."
"But you said you would save m--"

"SEE YA."

Hahaha, I feel like such a huge dick. I say that, but it was strangely fun to make a calculated decision to sacrifice a character for another, if that makes any sense. Moments like this are making me fall in love with this game :allears: To me Decker will now forever be a huge dick who rescued a hostage then immediately tricked him to use him as bait to escape.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

gnome7 posted:

You misunderstand. The Early Access Decker had an augment that gives him +1 AP every turn, no questions asked, on top of starting with one level in Speed. So everyone else starts the game at 8AP and he started at 10AP, with a cloaking rig. His cloaking rig was also the same as the current Cloaking Rig II, cloaking rigs got a nerf during EA. Decker was very good. Bland, but good.

I do not think I have ever once used his current augment. It's just not very good at all. That said, Archived Decker's augment is hilarious and I use it constantly, it's just incredible.

I love this idea a lot, that would be an absolutely incredible augment. And it'd pair really nicely with Internationale as the starting duo, whose main power is the ability to give the player more information to work with.

EDIT: Or for something more sensible and also spy-related, maybe the ability to TAG any guard he ends his turn within one space of? That'd be really fun and clever to play with.

Oh I didn't remember him having the speed stat back then as well. But the augment is basically the same as having the upgrade... again, I think augments duplicating stat effects are boring.

Anyhow I think the way he used to be was kind of boring and his daemon augment could probably use an improvement.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Right, I agree with that. It's why I was all in on the idea to give him an augment to help him watch guard patrol routes - I do think he needed a change from his EA augment. But before he used to be solid, even if he was boring, and now the only thing he's got going for him is that he's the only character who starts with a level of Speed, and he also starts with a cloaking rig, both of which are useless if you find him in a detention center. Decker right now would be better without his augment, so you'd have a spare slot to put a new augment on him.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Haha, true. It would be neat if you could sell augments at cybernetics facilities.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Hopeford posted:

Hahaha, I feel like such a huge dick. I say that, but it was strangely fun to make a calculated decision to sacrifice a character for another, if that makes any sense. Moments like this are making me fall in love with this game :allears: To me Decker will now forever be a huge dick who rescued a hostage then immediately tricked him to use him as bait to escape.

Haha I did the same thing yesterday which totally saved my run through on expert. Was looting this armoury when I found a courier to save. Sweet! More credits for me!
Unfortunately to get back to the teleporter I had to go through this huge room filled with death. Got all my guys caught in it and used the courier to distract and take a bullet while everyone else sprinted for the exit.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
For couriers they are loving slow too, goddamn no wonder they got caught.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Just found a flurry gun in a shop for the first time. It's the second-to-last level, I've got a free augment slot and the +1 ranged armour-piercing augment also in the shop, someone persuade me not to buy this thing.

(Playing Expert, also for the first time.)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you put that on nika she will kill two people and gain ap for it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

If you put that on nika she will kill two people and gain ap for it.

I'm running Archive Nika, since I just unlocked her.

How can she kill multiple people with it? It claims it only fires once per mission.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The gun is active for one round and then shuts down. So somebody with multiple attacks can shoot multiple times. Archive Nika doesn't have multiple attacks but anybody with stim III can take advantage of it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dyzzy posted:

The gun is active for one round and then shuts down. So somebody with multiple attacks can shoot multiple times. Archive Nika doesn't have multiple attacks but anybody with stim III can take advantage of it.

Could you maybe shoot with one character and then pass it to another?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Ah, OK.

One last question, before I make my decision: does it have any kind of cool animation and/or sound effect?

UPDATE: it did not. (It looked & sounded like a very boring assault rifle.) It was almost kind of useful on the penultimate turn, though, by letting me finish with all agents alive, so... worth?

(Shock Trap III and Invisibility III are the most insane items, esp. the former.)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 31, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm on day 11 of my endless run, same four agents I started with. Sharp/Internationale/Xu/Nika, EVERYONE has a cloaking rig 3 and speed/strength 5, I basically can't lose. ...I think I'm going to not touch this file again for a while now that I have the achievements.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
This game is what I wanted Shadowrun Returns to be. Get in, complete your objective, see what other loot you can grab along the way, then either get out quietly or panic when poo poo hits the fan. Either way, I feel like a super-spy.

nth-ing the "Xu is a beast" sentiment. A good program to combo with him is Taurus; you can move all the daemons onto safes, then bypass the daemons with Xu's ability.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Taurus is crazy good in general. With zero cooldown and only 2 PWR per use, you can use it to render an awful lot of daemons irrelevant if you're managing your PWR well. I bought Hunter, used it one time, and then sold it to buy Taurus. I consider the latter to be something of a must-have for higher difficulty missions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fangz posted:

Could you maybe shoot with one character and then pass it to another?

I have personally killed 4 ppl with one flurry gun activation. That run ended with Nikka carrying 3 flurry guns and depolulating the final stage, it was magical.

Flurry guns are OP as hell and hilarious.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Just finished my first expert run :toot: I went into it with a Banks toting a stim 3 and a shock trap 3, but ended up using none of it. The real MVP was actually Shalem with a stun grenade and two paralyzer 1's which let him stun two guys and hold them down long enough for the rest of my dudes with biogenic DARTs to sleep them. Turn an otherwise dicey map with the guard room right next to the security console into a map I cleared at Alarm Level 3. I'm never going to underestimate those grenades again.

Run was made a lot easier with Internationale, whose biggest asset isn't even necessarily the remote hacking -- just being able to detect cameras without using up AP to peek is a huge asset. Expert's credit penalty is really noticeable and it really makes getting a Vault Access Card critical early on -- the extra 2500 gold you get from the vault alone is pretty critical, even if you're just angling for strength upgrades.

Next up is an endless run!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hey Stik, I ran into a crash bug.

Pastebin of my lua save is here: http://pastebin.com/x8PMe2jF

If you hit next turn, it won't let you control the chars. I hit 'save and exit' and reloaded, but same deal. I bet it has to do with the guard that spawned last turn. Hope it helps!

(actions.lua line 26, can't index a null value)

err, I guess that isn't the save game? sorry.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 2, 2015

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

yikes! thanks, I'll check that out

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does it matter how many turns it takes to finish a mission?

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

double nine posted:

Does it matter how many turns it takes to finish a mission?

It matters in the sense that higher alarm levels will make clearing the level harder, either by raising the firewall levels or spawning more guards. It has no effect outside the singular mission and doesn't carry over to the 'strategic' view in any way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The latter was what I was wondering about.

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

Had my craziest final mission this morning doing an Expert/Faust & Brimstone run. I started with Central so was expecting to be short handed during the finale but due to a stupid play on the penultimate mission lost both Shalem w/ a Biotic Pistol and Decker who had just purchased a Cloaker III (he had subdermal) and Electric Trap III. I started the finale with only Xu, Central and Monster with practically only starting gear. Luckily Xu had the +1 melee AP so he was able to take down a few guys. Lost Central while Monster was hacking but was able to circle Xu around to revive her while Monster hit the vault lock. Then lost Monster while I had Xu sprinting around one side of the map trying to pull everyone away so Central could sneak into the vault. Ended up taking me over 60 turns but ended up making it. Wasn't expecting to pull it off but man, that felt GREAT.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Not certain how I missed this game. As soon as I read about the setting, and it being a stealthy xcom I purchased it immediately. Sadly that means I'm still at work and waiting to play it.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I am having so much fun with this game, and I'm only on Easy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Norns posted:

Not certain how I missed this game. As soon as I read about the setting, and it being a stealthy xcom I purchased it immediately. Sadly that means I'm still at work and waiting to play it.

KamikazePotato posted:

I am having so much fun with this game, and I'm only on Easy.

these posts make me happy

Seriously I loved Mark of the Ninja and was geeked as hell the second Invisible Inc. was announced, and I'm glad there is huge payoff here and the game is as good as I hoped it would be.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gyshall posted:

these posts make me happy

Seriously I loved Mark of the Ninja and was geeked as hell the second Invisible Inc. was announced, and I'm glad there is huge payoff here and the game is as good as I hoped it would be.

Legitimately the only complaint I have about the game is that the ending is pretty stupid. But then I just go back in and beat it again and have a blast so long as I ignore that one cutscene.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the ending. It was very cyber-noir.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like the ending because I can imagine an Invisible Inc II where "the corps" have been replaced with "The Government, long may she reign" and everything functions fairly similarly but with more existential terror and wrathful all-seeing demigoddesses. Also your failure state is getting murdered from on high with a loving laser.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

:geno:: so where do we put the security hub?
:downs:: just put it next to the mainframe, I don't want to have to run across the whole building just to unlock a door!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

:lol: That's incredible. I always thought the two were guaranteed generated X rooms apart from each other.

Also, hostages.png

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Hoping for an expansion that continues the story, that ending seemed a tad abrupt.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
With Shock Trap III you can turn this:

into this:

Thanks, ST3!

(of course, I'm going through an expert plus run and a) I can probably never afford a ST3 and b) using it like above would raise the alarm a whole level)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I feel like if you're dragging a guy and get spotted, the guard's first shot should hit the guy you're dragging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Postmortem of invisible inc. Don't think this have been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ZkIKPIDdY

• Locked thread