Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You know it just dawned on me that Little Lamplight in Fallout 3 might be a reference to the tribe of feral kids in Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome, having not seen that movie in years. Which is probably why people have such a huge problem with it, those kids are the primary reason people didn't like Beyond Thunderdome so why Fallout 3 decided to make a direct reference to it and also come under scrutiny as the weakest part of the game I do not know. If they wanted to reference that movie, they could have referenced Master Blaster or something.

Little Lamplight existing isn't really bad in itself. Sure, Little Lamplight was stupid but not any more so than many other things in Fallout 3.

The problem was that you were forced to interact with them if you wanted to progress the main quest. You couldn't even kill those annoying assholes to progress since they were, you know, children.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You know it just dawned on me that Little Lamplight in Fallout 3 might be a reference to the tribe of feral kids in Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome, having not seen that movie in years. Which is probably why people have such a huge problem with it, those kids are the primary reason people didn't like Beyond Thunderdome so why Fallout 3 decided to make a direct reference to it and also come under scrutiny as the weakest part of the game I do not know. If they wanted to reference that movie, they could have referenced Master Blaster or something.

If memory serves, they are a reference to the feral kids from Beyond Thunderdome. Considering when Fallout 3 came out and Bethesda cramming in as much post apocalyptic and nuclear horror references as possible, references to the Mad Max franchise is a given. I do agree there are better choices they could've picked for references.

And since I'm a bit of a masochist and didn't learn my lesson with browsing the Bioware forums during the Mass Effect/Dragon Age threads, I figured to go nosing around the Bethesda forums to see what's going on over there. There's people upset that they'll apparently be unable to have a technophobe Vault Dweller because they owned a robot in pre-war times. I'm now wondering what the equivalent of the infamous "What does Tali's sweat taste like?" post's likely going to be.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zzulu posted:

faces look better than in earlier bethesda games imo

I donno... I kinda always liked that this thing below could peer into a man's soul.

Mordaedil posted:

Agreed, it looks fantastic. Not even mad that I won't be able to make hideous monsters anymore, but who knows, maybe the sliders can be pulled really far.
We saw in that same presentation how Todd was slowly turning him into some neanderthal with a unibrow, I don't think it'll be too difficult to create some deformed monster by setting all the sliders to min/max. Keep in mind that since the game is now designed to be played in 3rd person, if you really want, you can now always admire your hideous creation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speedball posted:

They had that big base in Fallout 3 and were prepping to take over territory in Fallout 2; they already had the Navarro base on the continent. But basically they were overly concerened with mutation and were convinced they were the only real humans left so they were even more isolationist than the Brotherhood, so territory-grabbing took a backseat to "keep the United States, all one of them, pure"

Honestly, playing a member of an Enclave organization would have been an alternative to what we're getting without having the time-skip thing and been in keeping with the origins from F1&2. The whole "we're the original US" could have lent itself to complete period propaganda saturation, so you might even start the game in a simulation of what the world was like as part of the indoctrination education system, so you know what you're fighting to reclaim as they suit you up and send you into the world. Then your mission goes wrong, your power armor could be badly damaged, and then you have to get by with your wits and what you find to establish a base and decide for yourself if the wasteland is worth saving or if the old world is worth rebuilding.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I await Dark Souls style horrors whos face is non-euclidean

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Call me a sociopath, but I'm really happy the gore is returning and I'm curious to see if they've touched it up in any way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Theta Zero posted:

Call me a sociopath, but I'm really happy the gore is returning and I'm curious to see if they've touched it up in any way.

Yeah, half of why I loved New Vegas (it was also my first Fallout game) was the ridiculous gore and flying body parts. The gunplay and melee and switching from ironsights to VATS, the weapons you could use like a super sledge to knock heads clean off of bodies, thermic lances that absolutely obliterated everything they touched. Raiders and Legionaries were the perfect fodder, and as long as there are Fiends to pulverize in Fallout 4 and they make it really satisfying I'll be happy.

That's all I need really, gore and ridiculous weapons, 50's music and Atomic Age aesthetic, and a huge world to play around in. The writing can be passably mediocre and I'll be fine, like as long as it's as mediocre as Skyrim's writing that's all I ask.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Why are people worrying about graphics in Fallout 4? Have you guys seen what mods do to Skyrim graphical fidelity? There will be texture mods, there will be graphical mods to the wazoo and you will be able to up it to 11 so you new fancy GTX 980TI fan goes to 100%. Well, animation is still going to suck, but that's not a huge deal. Well.. unless you are on a console, then you will still get a nice looking game but not Witcher 3 quality. Witcher 3 does not have teddy bear launchers though.

Speaking of mods, Fallout 4 devs said no paid mods.

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-devs-have-no-plans-for-paid-mods-1712305902

That's pretty huge.

Edit: On gore, watch that "gently caress things up" trailer again, it has plenty (including the above mentioned teddy bear taking a guy's head off).

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

oblomov posted:

Why are people worrying about graphics in Fallout 4? Have you guys seen what mods do to Skyrim graphical fidelity? There will be texture mods, there will be graphical mods to the wazoo and you will be able to up it to 11 so you new fancy GTX 980TI fan goes to 100%. Well, animation is still going to suck, but that's not a huge deal. Well.. unless you are on a console, then you will still get a nice looking game but not Witcher 3 quality. Witcher 3 does not have teddy bear launchers though.

Speaking of mods, Fallout 4 devs said no paid mods.

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-devs-have-no-plans-for-paid-mods-1712305902

That's pretty huge.

Edit: On gore, watch that "gently caress things up" trailer again, it has plenty (including the above mentioned teddy bear taking a guy's head off).

Some animations have also been addressed by mods. The only problem with mods is waiting for them to be developed and for folks like STEP to curate.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Gyrotica posted:

Some animations have also been addressed by mods. The only problem with mods is waiting for them to be developed and for folks like STEP to curate.

True, but at the least Fallout 4 looks to be quite a bit better then Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim. Would it be really a huge dealbreaker to play vanilla while texture mods pop up? Also, I am sure a lot more graphical tweaking is going to be present.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Poolparty posted:

I hope 'Cheers' is in the game and it's owned by prewar baseball player Sam Ghoulone.

If it's not then it's the first thing I'm building for my little town.

Pages and pages ago, but I hope there's a burned out, crashed bar, with a skeleton named Norm sitting on one of the stools.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So now people are getting in a frenzy on other sites because they might be downgrading the visuals some. I for one am absolutely shocked a game does not look 100% like its E3 presentation. Just scandalized!

you do realize that's just bethesda excusing why the game doesn't look world-class beautiful like that sony robo-dino game?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

oblomov posted:

True, but at the least Fallout 4 looks to be quite a bit better then Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim. Would it be really a huge dealbreaker to play vanilla while texture mods pop up? Also, I am sure a lot more graphical tweaking is going to be present.

I mean, I'm not going to kid myself, there's no way I'll be able to wait for the mods XD Just means two playthroughs, really.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Pages and pages ago, but I hope there's a burned out, crashed bar, with a skeleton named Norm sitting on one of the stools.

That, or I'll just build a bar at one of my settlements and name my character Norm, hoping that it's one of the 1000 most common names that Bethesda recorded voices for :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sheen Sheen posted:

That, or I'll just build a bar at one of my settlements and name my character Norm, hoping that it's one of the 1000 most common names that Bethesda recorded voices for :v:

Scavenger: Alright, pudgy. Only one of us is getting the material from this settlement, so let's see you draw.
PC: I'd be happy to draw... myself a beer!
*laugh track*
Robot: Mister Peterson... it's your wife. She's alive!
*PC makes "I'm not here" motions with his hands*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am definitely waiting for the first to few patches to drop as there will inevitably be a slew of ridiculous gamebreaking bugs at release. I'll probably get it during the first Steam sale.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

Scavenger: Alright, pudgy. Only one of us is getting the material from this settlement, so let's see you draw.
*laugh track*

Making your way in the wastes today takes every gun you've got
Going a rip apart those raiders, sure would help a lot.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Generic Monk posted:

you do realize that's just bethesda excusing why the game doesn't look world-class beautiful like that sony robo-dino game?

You could tell from the first released trailer it was going to be ugly, I don't know whats wrong with people. The first thing people were saying after seeing that poo poo was that it was ugly and poorly animated. Bethesda is showing they need to pass the torch for open world RPGs. Maybe just spend some of their moneys to buy REDengine 3 or something.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Double bad song post

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Count Canuckula posted:

Making your way in the wastes today takes every gun you've got
Going a rip apart those raiders, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like a rad away
You wanna go where the people grow an extra arm or a leg
You wanna go where people all glow all day

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Speaking just for myself, "looks nice" is probably the absolute bottom rung of "poo poo I give a drat about in a video game". I'm talking strictly graphic-wise, not the aesthetic which is completely different.

As long as it looks better than this

I'm fine.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What the-!? Who switched around all my lights so that it says "Sam sucks?"
*NPC from Gary's Old Town Tavern goes into sneak mode*

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Reason posted:

You could tell from the first released trailer it was going to be ugly, I don't know whats wrong with people. The first thing people were saying after seeing that poo poo was that it was ugly and poorly animated. Bethesda is showing they need to pass the torch for open world RPGs. Maybe just spend some of their moneys to buy REDengine 3 or something.

Ok, name one Open World RPG that has the freedom to do poo poo that Bethesda does and is as completely modifiable as Bethesda's games. I'll give you a freebie, Witcher. However, Witcher has not even close to freedom to do poo poo as in Skyrim. Interactivity of Fallout/Skyrim/Oblivion/whatever is much higher. Fallout 4 kicks it up a notch with settlement building and crafting. Something has to give. It's either pretty or it's wide open/do anything/craft anything/mod anything game like Bethesda puts out.

Now, that still does not excuse the lovely animations though.

Edit: Can you fly around in pimped out Power Armor with custom decals in Witcher while playing some 50s Nuke song and indiscriminately pouring out mini-gun fire? Didn't think so :). Not that Witcher 3 doesn't rock, it's an excellent game, but focus is different.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For me the big huge thing is animations and whether or not the things in the world look like they are actually in the game world rather than floating along the surface(which ties into animations I think), not sure I've seen enough of the game to determine that, but Bethesda has a pretty lovely track record when it comes to animation work in general. Its like they have the same animator from their first ever game and he refuses to learn new stuff at anything but a glacial pace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it looked really nice in the presentation?

I mean I guess you could put more pixels in it but it still looks good?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Reason posted:

For me the big huge thing is animations and whether or not the things in the world look like they are actually in the game world rather than floating along the surface(which ties into animations I think), not sure I've seen enough of the game to determine that, but Bethesda has a pretty lovely track record when it comes to animation work in general. Its like they have the same animator from their first ever game and he refuses to learn new stuff at anything but a glacial pace.

It's a Bethesda game, the answer should be obvious, i.e. better then Skyrim but still pretty terrible. However, vast majority of people don't buy Bethesda games for character model/animation quality.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it looked really nice in the presentation?

I mean I guess you could put more pixels in it but it still looks good?

Yeah people are seriously spoiled if they think this game is ugly. Sure it isn't as pretty as something like The Order, but that game is linear and like half an hour long.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've always wondered what is it about the engine that makes everything on a surface start floating an inch above it if you pick anything else on that surface up

I haven't played enough Skyrim to know if they fixed it but it was definitely in NV.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Thunder Moose posted:

ATTN: Green Man Gaming has a voucher for 25% fallout 4 via steam

GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW

GO GET YOU SOME GOONS.

This worked perfectly, thanks!

I was going to wait and see if there was going to be a mid-tier collectable edition like my glorious FO3 lunchbox or FNV poker chips, but since that doesn't look likely I'll save 15 bucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I've always wondered what is it about the engine that makes everything on a surface start floating an inch above it if you pick anything else on that surface up

I haven't played enough Skyrim to know if they fixed it but it was definitely in NV.

I don't know if it's an engine thing but broadly it would probably be an overly simple physics system and overly large collision meshes. The physical extents of an object are likely rather larger than the object itself. Half Life 2 does the same thing in places, though it's less noticeable.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they were using the same basic physics system as was in Oblvion.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Worrying about graphics is a console scrub's troubles.

:frogout:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Can't confirm, but I think how it works is that normally every physics object is static and sort of "glued" to the surface where it's placed. This is so the game doesn't get bogged down with calculating physics for things that aren't even moving. If you move an object, it sends a message to neighboring objects to "wake up" because they may need to get moved by player actions like dragging an object into them or out from under them. The floating is probably due to some calculation in the code which tells the physics engine to move every object a few pixels up along the Y axis so they don't fall through the geometry when they start moving.

e: Or also like OwlFancier said, the hitbox for actual physics is probably a little larger and simpler than the object.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sounds plausible...a bit too plausible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

*laugh track*

Deep down, Norm loved his wife and would be with her if the bombs dropped. :colbert:

From a few pages back:

Crabtree posted:

No one wants to admit that no matter what we actually think about the game or how it turns out, Fallout 4 will sell enough to be a ridiculous success. It just doesn't matter. Even if we get the most ground breaking writing found in any form of fiction; even if we all are so over the moon by learning just how these post-apocalyptic societies function, from what they eat to how they poo poo, that our noses bleed from a week to ten days; even if Chris Avellone himself descends from Heaven above to pen every single conversation line so well that it touches our very lives and makes us all better people; even if every man, woman, dork and child came together to say that video games are cool, it just wouldn't matter because all the "important" reviewers will give Fallout 4 10/10s and Bethesda will make 10 times whatever they spent developing it from the stupid app alone. It doesn't matter if we love it or hate it.

Would it be accurate to define Goon/Goon-type opinions on Fallout as, for lack of a better term, 'Second-Generation NMA'? The position hasn't changed ("The older game was better than this newer one! Stop laughing at me!"), but the older game has shifted from 1/2 to NV.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

They just want Bethesda to be exactly like Obsidian

khy
Aug 15, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Can't confirm, but I think how it works is that normally every physics object is static and sort of "glued" to the surface where it's placed. This is so the game doesn't get bogged down with calculating physics for things that aren't even moving. If you move an object, it sends a message to neighboring objects to "wake up" because they may need to get moved by player actions like dragging an object into them or out from under them. The floating is probably due to some calculation in the code which tells the physics engine to move every object a few pixels up along the Y axis so they don't fall through the geometry when they start moving.

e: Or also like OwlFancier said, the hitbox for actual physics is probably a little larger and simpler than the object.

That's pretty much accurate, yeah. At least from what I remember from my time spent in the CK. You can tag objects to be ignored by the physics engine until interacted with by the player.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Would it be accurate to define Goon/Goon-type opinions on Fallout as, for lack of a better term, 'Second-Generation NMA'? The position hasn't changed ("The older game was better than this newer one! Stop laughing at me!"), but the older game has shifted from 1/2 to NV.

Wouldn't really be accurate at all because New Vegas is the best Fallout, and it's not even that old. It's old in video game years, which seems to be anything older than three years, but it came out like four years ago. The Oblivion engine it was built on is loving ancient though, doesn't change the fact that it's still the newest Fallout prior to this one.

Why am I responding seriously to this guy?!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Nevets posted:

This worked perfectly, thanks!

I was going to wait and see if there was going to be a mid-tier collectable edition like my glorious FO3 lunchbox or FNV poker chips, but since that doesn't look likely I'll save 15 bucks.

Not bad at all. This was a good deal for me since I was going to pre-order like a fool anyway <.<

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Deep down, Norm loved his wife and would be with her if the bombs dropped. :colbert:

Yeah, but he'd keep up the pretense, even in the face of the Apocalypse. 90 percent of what I want for this game is now Cheers references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Thunder Moose posted:

ATTN: Green Man Gaming has a voucher for 25% fallout 4 via steam

GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW

GO GET YOU SOME GOONS.

Thanks for this- I felt kinda bad for buying a key from a thirdparty source at a discounted price, but then again video game prices in Canada are jacked up for no real good reason so I guess this is fair.

• Locked thread