Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Clearly the only objective way to work out which is the bigger of MTG and Warhammer would be to compare the number of likes their official facebook page has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Skinty McEdger posted:

Clearly the only objective way to work out which is the bigger of MTG and Warhammer would be to compare the number of likes their official facebook page has.

oh yeah well I've never seen a MTG branded gaming store before. how can it be big if it doesn't have its own stores eh!??

checkmate

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Oh, well in that case Warhammer Fantasy has about 34k likes and Magic has 1.3M, so it's about 38x more popular

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

AoS is going to be the big release that curbs the strength of M:tG, and finally bring back tabletop wargaming as the premier nerd hobby. Yes, you read it here first.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just look at all these enthusiastic Warhammer fans lined up to buy our next great product! <Photo of MtG release event>

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

This kind of myopia about games just loving baffles me. It reminds me of Pathfinder fans gloating about how Paizo is *crushing* D&D when it's clear that WoTC don't give two shits about how much D&D stuff they sell, and are happy to keep printing money with Magic.

The difference is that Pathfinder crushing D&D is actually kind of important, because 5e D&D is a transphobic horrible mess written by bigots, while Paizo repeatedly and honestly goes to great lengths to improve representation and inclusion in their products. It's a battle for the soul of the hobby, in other words.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its about ethics in games design.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Arivia posted:

The difference is that Pathfinder crushing D&D is actually kind of important, because 5e D&D is a transphobic horrible mess written by bigots, while Paizo repeatedly and honestly goes to great lengths to improve representation and inclusion in their products. It's a battle for the soul of the hobby, in other words.

4e 4ever

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Arivia posted:

A Tranphobic horrible mess written by bigots
great lengths to improve representation and inclusion in their products

What.
Citation needed please.
Can't druids shape change and have hot Bear Pony sex in both games? Of all the critiques I've heard about 5th and pathfinder I've never heard of one being embraced or discarded based on perceived roles or that either system even has signifigant statements / content regarding either topic.
Sorry if this is a derail. In my opinion it's crushing 5th because it's a good game with great storylines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Arivia is entirely correct and we really shouldn't have to go down this path whenever somebody new finds out about it.

E: The people involved are attention vampires and discussing them just gives spotlight time to shitheads. 5e is garbage for moral more than qualitative reasons.

Like, as bad as GW is, it's a fun and dumb bad where nobody gets hurt.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 19, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Agreed.

Everyone, head to the GW and get the 3 elf lord pack. Only 50 dollars before the whole thing disappears when LOTR does!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

moths posted:

Arivia is entirely correct and we really shouldn't have to go down this path whenever somebody new finds out about it.

E: The people involved are attention vampires and discussing them just gives spotlight time to shitheads. 5e is garbage for moral more than qualitative reasons.

Where can I go to learn more about this 5e trainwreck?? I know there's a megathread but I don't really care about the game itself

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Seconded. This stuff fuels me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You could always go to the grognards.txt thread and start reading until you burst a vessel

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
are the 5e designers grognards? 4e was grognard kryptonite

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

moths posted:

Okay, now I am extremely curious about how 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons is hurting people, but I'm not sure I want to google "D&D 5e transphobic".

Edit: Nope. Nevermind. This thread thrives on derails, but this is probably one it could do without. :can:

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 19, 2015

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Daedleh posted:

oh yeah well I've never seen a MTG branded gaming store before. how can it be big if it doesn't have its own stores eh!??

checkmate

Literally the argument I've seen some people make when someone claims that Warmachine is huge (except substitute Privateer Press branded stores for MTG branded stores).

"Yeah, come back and talk to me once Privateer Press has their own stores all over the world :smug:", as if the GW stores aren't a loving millstone around the company's neck at this point.

GW sycophants will go to great lengths to keep their heads firmly buried in the sand.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nebalebadingdong posted:

are the 5e designers grognards? 4e was grognard kryptonite

Ask this stuff and look around in the grogs.txt thread, but yes. There's at least 2 high profile grogs that worked on it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Where can I go to learn more about this 5e trainwreck?? I know there's a megathread but I don't really care about the game itself

http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Wtf are you idiots even talking about???

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

That doesn't say anything about Dungeons and Dragons. It just says that two of the people working on it haven't been fired yet, even though the writer really doesn't like them.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Guys, let's not lose sight of the fact that Games Workshop is bad

and also X-Wang/Warmachine/Your favorite non-GW game is good

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

FrostyPox posted:

"Yeah, come back and talk to me once Privateer Press has their own stores all over the world :smug:", as if the GW stores aren't a loving millstone around the company's neck at this point.
I think like a lot of other GW stuff this is an attitude that hasn't updated in a decade. Years ago the GW stores were pretty awesome - I'm sure lots of us can relate stores about how it was a cool, or at least nicer storefront that made the company a bit more welcoming - but nowadays yeah, just this weight that is so much worse than having small business owners bend over backwards to promote your product for you.

LGSes in general have gotten a lot nicer though, in my limited experience.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

Has anyone here tried the idea of running an X-Wang game inside an Armada game, and using the X-Wangs on a coffee table next to the main table to resolve squadron fights in Armada?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

Not X-Wangs, that's for sure.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Speaking of which, we've just played a few games of wangs, mostly the starter sets and I feel that we are just running around in circles for a while until someone finally gets a bead on the opponent and then rolls poo poo. I guess it gets better as we get better and/or start using upgrades and more advanced ships?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So new rumours surfaced, contradicting the ones where AoS was a fun, streamlined, well-designed LotR derivative.

They're more likely to be true because they describe a lazy baby of 8e and 40k.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Along the same lines, from that thread (emphasis mine):

quote:

I actually had to google mtg thing to find out what it was lol. The closest gw store is one hour away. Closest store to buy mtg is 3 hours away so gw wins here

Editing here tablet submitted rather then jumped a line

For me it come to owning something i can show off use and feel like i own something. Gw gives me a model of varying sizes ect. Where as a pretty picture on a piece of paper give me very little. So a card game vs the item is one sidded.

Would you buy a oicture of a car for 20 bucks or buy the car for 20k. You can buy alot of picture for the same price but seems like a ripoff somehow.

I personally think this guy is being a bit disingenuous in trying to defend GW. I don't buy that "nearest place to buy M:tG cards is three hours away" line because you can buy M:tG cards at Walmart. Granted, they're in smaller quantities than a FLGS might have, and usually only the most recent of releases, but still.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I personally think this guy is being a bit disingenuous in trying to defend GW. I don't buy that "nearest place to buy M:tG cards is three hours away" line because you can buy M:tG cards at Walmart. Granted, they're in smaller quantities than a FLGS might have, and usually only the most recent of releases, but still.

Maybe he's British? I've seen a lot of British people with a bizarrely GW-centered view of the gaming world, and I have no idea how big MTG is in the UK. I have noticed the blindest GW sycophants tend to be from the UK, though that doesn't mean there aren't a lot from other regions.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I know loving gas stations that sell MtG cards.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yes but you see the holy prophet Kirby said magic and pokemans were a passing fad and are no longer relevant so it must be true because

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I personally think this guy is being a bit disingenuous in trying to defend GW.

Cognitive dissonance is a hallmark of all arguments in defence of faith, no matter what the faith may be

moths posted:

They're more likely to be true because they describe a lazy baby of 8e and 40k.

Did I, or did I not, say months ago that I bet they're moving Fantasy towards the 40k rule set so that they really only have one set of rules they need to spend resources developing? :smugbert:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Ignite Memories posted:

I once found old dusty magic boosters (arabian nights maybe) at a bodega selling for retail. Didn't buy any and found out from a friend later they were with 50$ a pack.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Here's an interesting twist on that quote: are there any GW models that appreciate after release? A pack of Magic cards is $4 but individual cards now sell on the market for hundreds or even thousands. Is that a thing for GW at all? Older models, forge world poo poo?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They're not wrong that MTG cards are mass-produced cardboard but somehow they don't have the self-awareness to also apply that to their mass-produced toy soldiers. :shepface:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Arivia posted:

Here's an interesting twist on that quote: are there any GW models that appreciate after release? A pack of Magic cards is $4 but individual cards now sell on the market for hundreds or even thousands. Is that a thing for GW at all? Older models, forge world poo poo?

Good out of production stuff mostly, Necromunda minis, genestealer hybrids all sell for more now than they did then.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arivia posted:

Yeah the really old out of print, never gonna be made again metal stuff like from Rogue Trader goes for good money on ebay, but nothing in the realm of hundreds or thousands of dollars

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

Maybe he's British? I've seen a lot of British people with a bizarrely GW-centered view of the gaming world, and I have no idea how big MTG is in the UK. I have noticed the blindest GW sycophants tend to be from the UK, though that doesn't mean there aren't a lot from other regions.

I peeked at the Dakka thread and it looks like he's Canadian, so it's possible that there might not be a Walmart or similar near him. However, I still doubt the claim that there are no stores near to him that sell M:tG stuff, because

Ignite Memories posted:

Arivia posted:

I know someone who sold off a bunch of their M:tG cards last year; out of 15 or 20 cards or so, they managed to rake in nearly $800.

As far as the GW thing goes, it really depends. As the posters above me pointed out, the older models in good shape still fetch a good price on eBay, but it's strictly stuff that you can't get any more IIRC (such as Oldhammer stuff, Rogue Trader figures, etc). Anything of a more recent vintage, you're probably taking a loss on. And it's probably doubly so if the figures you're selling are ones you already assembled/painted, as people are mostly looking to get those on the cheap so they can strip 'em down and rebuild them. Unless you're a poo poo-hot painter selling stuff to people purely for collection purposes (which I don't see as being quite so profitable, but YMMV), you're pretty much just selling any older/previously used warhams stuff for what you can get out of it.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 19, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don't know if it's still true but I remember looking up the old stuff years ago and while they were more than retail, they did not keep up with inflation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I peeked at the Dakka thread and it looks like he's Canadian, so it's possible that there might not be a Walmart or similar near him. However, I still doubt the claim that there are no stores near to him that sell M:tG stuff, because
General question, is GW even vaguely big in Canada still? I live on the fringes of the GTA and I think if I go to stores in order of distance I'd hit 7+ shops that sell mtg and 2+ that sell warmahordes (at least) before seeing a hint of GW.

Anyway Walmart does sell MTG in Canada, big slot in the toy aisle. So yeah, he's full of it.

• Locked thread