Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PleasingFungus posted:

also, gonna take a moment to boast:

it is I, the 0.01%.

I wonder how many players that is?

It's not that hard, just new
Get Three mountains, Rajput reigh and Albania or Iberia and then brag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

it is I, the 0.01%.

0.01% of them

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That Venice achiev is still my rarest one and it was .01 when I got it. It's .33 now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Is Albania still that hard? Seems like it'd be possible to luck into a game where the Ottomans don't attack you until you either escape somewhere safe or have an Alliance with Poland/Austria. I haven't tried it though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gonna try out a Byzantium game today for the Rome achievement. Any tips on how to proceed in Common Sense?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Demiurge4 posted:

Gonna try out a Byzantium game today for the Rome achievement. Any tips on how to proceed in Common Sense?

I may be wrong but I don't think there's any tricks left, the AI is just gonna get military access around the Black Sea if you try to block the straits. Strong allies is probably the only way to survive and since Hungary seems much stronger now so you have one more potential ally to help you.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Elman posted:

Is Albania still that hard? Seems like it'd be possible to luck into a game where the Ottomans don't attack you until you either escape somewhere safe or have an Alliance with Poland/Austria. I haven't tried it though.

Previous patches it used to start already at war with Ottomans and hostile army in the next province, haven't looked at it in 1.12.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

I got off the ground after aow and yeah, allies will be your major tool of protection. I think it will be easier with common sense because the ai is pretty suicidal (all your allies will join). Sit there, work on getting Poland and Austria onside and hopefully beat the poo poo out of OE in a defensive war.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Previous patches it used to start already at war with Ottomans and hostile army in the next province, haven't looked at it in 1.12.

Yeah you're not at war anymore. I tried it and I was able to annex Ragusa and some of Bosnia, but Ottomans warned me and Austria became domineering so I couldn't do much more. Still, it seems easier.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a little annoyed that all the Free Cities have disappeared from the Holy Roman Thunderdome. Whenever I try to restore a OPM, there's some issue with their government - they're a monarchy or theocracy, or just the wrong kind of republic, because dictatorships can't be Free Cities. I realized after I took this screenie that I could have gotten the relationship to 200 which would have just made it over the bar to become a Free City, though.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

it is I, the 0.01%.

According to https://steamdb.info/app/236850/graphs/ there are about 645,000 EU IV players, so about 64.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Playing as England and during the war of the roses another claimant form the rebel system swooped in and took the throne. Will my Yokrist supporter modifiers last forever?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Question for my Ayutthaya game: It's ~1585 and the first colonizer (Spain) is making their way east. They only have one province on the gold/ivory/whatever coast so far, but i'm going to bet they'll be hopping towards me soon enough. Any ideas on what I should do? Try to stop them by colonizing everything in their way? Let them in and steal a province to westernize off of?

I usually try to cut them off at South Africa at least, as it is rich and a good spot to collect trade, eventually. For westernizing you probably want to put down a colony in the New World next to a European nation; it's basically never worth it to let your home continent's uncolonized provinces be colonized out from under you even though it's an easy way to westernize.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pyromancer posted:

I know, just thought it was a surprisingly/funnily low number.

Larz posted:

According to https://steamdb.info/app/236850/graphs/ there are about 645,000 EU IV players, so about 64.

Ah, thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larz posted:

There are only that many people that play EU4? I figured it would have been more, considering CKII has sold over 1million copies.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

There are only that many people that play EU4? I figured it would have been more, considering CKII has sold over 1million copies.

It looks like Crusder Kings 2 sold more but is played less than EU4 currently but it has sold more(1.05m vs .75m). Its also played much less on average. It seems like a lot of people buy CK2 but never actually play it.

https://steamdb.info/app/203770/graphs/

https://steamdb.info/app/236850/graphs/

CK2 posted:

Playtime in last 2 weeks: 9.5h (average) 3.4h (median)

Playtime total: 87.8h (average) 10.1h (median)

EU4 posted:

Playtime in last 2 weeks: 16.5h (average) 8.5h (median)

Playtime total: 137.7h (average) 27.8h (median)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
CK2 used to have a non-steam option so the numbers are not accurate by default.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CK2 has its weird unique RPG aspects which give it a wider audience both because they appeal to more people and it's more unique so people are likely to pick it up cause they heard a friend talking about it and try it out briefly.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Whereas EU4 is for spergy grognards who are only slightly ashamed to admit their hundreds of hours clocked playing this game. :negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So south america has eaten 6 explorers so far and given me a tiny bit of prestige and about 50 adm points... gently caress these jungles.

My explorers also love to walk into other civilizations that are having massive revolts and fight their 15 stack rebel army.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

PittTheElder posted:

Diploannexing the TO is completely unnecessary. I mean you could, but I'd honestly rather just double down on my strengths right out of the gate. So ally with Poland and Austria day 0, wait for Poland to form their union with Lithuania, then declare war on the TO to retake Neumark. Use a couple infantry to siege that down in the first month, then go try and get troops on Konigsberg, or barring that, anyone of the TO's ducal Prussian provinces (because we're going for maximum pretty borders of course). Park your focus on Military, take Neumark and Konigsberg in the peace (you won't be able to core Konigsberg yet, that doesn't matter), then set your sights on Pommerania. Snag a coastal province or three off them, and then you can core Konigsberg. Then take the Prussian expansion mission and conquer the rest of ducal Prussia. Then just take as many military ideas as the game will let you. You're going to want Defensive/Aristocratic/Quality to max out AT, which will let you roll hilarious god generals.

Religious is unnecessary, take Economic instead. Influence is OK, but only because there isn't anything better to take in the diplomatic group. Maybe Trade.

I read this as playing the TO in a diplo-annexing fashion rather than a strategy for diploannexing the TO.

I tried playing the TO in a diplomatic fashion but honestly with the lack of royal marriages and the strong aversion to vassalization HRE states have it ended up being much easier to just not expand into the HRE much at all until post-Reformation. Early game I allied with Austria and independent Lithuania and vassalized Mazovia over a series of wars with Poland, fed them a few Polish provinces and then annexed them to get Polish as an accepted culture (Warsaw is an incredible province) and set my sights east on the Livonians. I did take an opportunity at some point to take Pommerania and a province or two off of Bohemia but the new Development mechanics make expanding your borders often more trouble than it's really worth. Ended up reforming into Prussia relatively late but now it's 1638 and unified Scandinavia and I are a northern Protestant terror slowly eating choice morsels of Germany. Austria has been blowing through reforms like nobody's business--they proclaimed Erbkaisertum by 1620 or so and are loving gigantic, and they're not too pleased with Prussian shenanigans, but militarily even though they have something like 20% more troops than I do I'm pretty sure they can't touch me.

For ideas I went Economic, Influence (this ended up being a mistake, take Diplomatic instead), Offensive, Innovative, and Quality.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Make friends with Poland ASAP. If you're lucky they'll ally you because they want to steal Ottomans provinces, and that should keep Ottomans looking at the other neighbors rather than you for a while.

Once you can avoid guaranteed death, you'll want to suck up to and ally anybody in the area you can who has a land connection to Ottomans provinces. (Don't bother with anyone more distant - they'll basically never be able to get troops to you, given the Ottomans navy.) Your aim should be to wait for a moment that the Ottomans have their armies seriously depleted by another war (this might take a while, since it'll probably take a Sunni neighbor or two jumping on them first), then wardec, hope your allies dogpile them from every direction, and take some of your cores back in the ensuing chaos.

You'll also want to mothball your forts early on (too expensive for your measly income) and only reactivate them in war, and only have galleys for a navy to start off with. If you have enough galleys to burn, you can tactically screw with Ottomans movement by sending a single galley out of port in Constantinople - it'll inevitably get destroyed by blockaders, but that's enough to interrupt any movement across the strait, and that means you can stackwipe any retreating forces that are suddenly stuck in Constantinople.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are two strats that work with Byz most of the time.

The easiest is
1.build all the galleys you can until you are at least a bit stronger than half of the Otto's navy.
2. Wait for the Ottos to go to war, where they will split their navy to blockade.
3. Declare war and pounce on whichever navy you think best.
4. Siege and capture all the balkans, waiting them out until you get the maximum territory.
5. Repeat until all the Balkans are yours.

The second strategy that is a bit harder is.

1. Hire a diplomat
2. Increase your relationship with Austria and ally with them.
3. Wait until they trust you enough to go to war with the Ottos.
4. Let the Austrians fight the ottos troops.
5. Siege while they slug it out.

Both strats rely on the same basic principle, never ever engage the ottos in land combat. Even if you win it will hurt, and hurt bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sharzak posted:

I read this as playing the TO in a diplo-annexing fashion rather than a strategy for diploannexing the TO.

Well poo poo, you're totally right.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Restart until you get a dip rep advisor. Austria has to rival Venice, Poland has to rival ottos (v common). Begin by removing all your forts and putting both maintenance to 0. Make 3 infantry regiments and after that spam galleys. Improve relations with Austria and Poland. Don't hire advisors until just before you can RM Poland. It adds 5 points to your score to accept deals. It helps to fab claims on Bulgaria, Austria won't ally you until post ottoman war.

RM Poland ASAP and you can ally right after that. After polands truce with Ottos expire Nov 1449, you can attack them. Only do so if you have enough galleys to block the straits, and do it while they're in a war in Anatolia. Even if you can't defeat their navy, it will give Poland time to consolidate their forces in Greece and stand a chance at fighting. After that, occupy all of the Balkans. Usually Poland and friends cross the straits and beat back the ottomans, so you can take all of the Balkans in one war with 80+ war score.

After you win the first war, get ready to fab claims on Serbia and Walachia. Make Walachia your vassal and just annex Serbia. Wipe up any other minors sitting around. Now finish allying the Austrians and attack Venice for their Greek and Croat provinces. If Venice is allied to like Castile, consider beefing up your navy first.

After you have everything between Hungary and the Hellespont controlled, you basically just finish off the ottomans and attack Hungary when you can without Austria getting involved. Release Transylvania and make a new Hungary. Keep the Croatian provinces. You'll quickly become the worlds top power.

Edit: forgot to mention, develop Constantinople with admin once to up your force limit to 11. That is like a break even point to get allied

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

EU4 stuff is on the Steam Summer sale, as everyone expected.

Common Sense has no discount, as everyone expected. El Dorado is a little cheaper than it was for the CS release.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Anyone have modding experience with EU4? I'm trying to make a mission with 'allow' requirements dictating a few different things. When I test the mission ingame with 'testmission', the console shows me as not matching 2 of the requirements, which are that my country is religion_group = muslim (it is) and that my country OR match 1 of 3 different tags (it does, I've tried with all 3 possible countries). It shows the other requirements as being met, which is weird. I have a similar mission with similar requirements that worked fine.

http://pastebin.com/CPn7LfBw (second mission is the one that isn't firing)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Narciss fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 19, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I have Conquest of Paradise, Wealth of Nations, Res Publica and I want to get Art of War. Any other worthwhile dlcs?

El Dorado looks a bit steep in spite of the sale.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman posted:

Yeah you're not at war anymore. I tried it and I was able to annex Ragusa and some of Bosnia, but Ottomans warned me and Austria became domineering so I couldn't do much more. Still, it seems easier.

Yeah I kept at it and it's a lot easier. If you can dodge Venice and Ottomans early it's not much harder than any other OPM.

I don't know what the hell is going on in that game though:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Node posted:

And just who are the true sons of Rome anyway, when Paradox brutishly nerfs Byz with every patch?

The Ottomans, surely?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've noticed a bug with Denmark. I own Danzig and Neva (Neva may have been a mistake, Muscuvy hates my guts) and every few years the Danish Trade mission will pop up and finish immediately, giving me the Baltic Ambitions modifier.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
:france:

Finished it with some admin to spare and some provinces still coring. At one point there was a huge coalition against me but at the start they sent about 100-150k men into Austria and the rest at me, so I just wiped all the little stacks they sent my way and it gave me enough war score to get off the hook. I only had to give up Ireland which I had taken after their coalition war started and 2 provinces in my center I had already cored so I didn't really lose anything.

The Burgundian inheritance fired near the end and I got a few provinces off that but I probably would've been fine with out. Everything else was directly cored except for Brittany which I diploannexed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok weird map issue, I don't exactly think it's a bug but I think it's probably something that should be changed.

I was france and got a PU with Portugal. Over time I annexed them and all their colonies. The problem though is that I can't even see half my own colonies now because I did not inherit their map. I don't have the exploration ideas so I can't explore, but it seems crazy that I wouldn't inherit the maps, or at least the provinces of my own colonial nations. Also since Portugal is gone it seems like the whole "spread of discoveries" things didn't happen because 100 years later I haven't had a single province new revealed.

When you annex a nation you should get their maps, barring that you should at least have all vassals/colonial nations at least have their own provinces revealed.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

What's so extreme about the extreme edition, apart from the slightly higher price?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Apoffys posted:

What's so extreme about the extreme edition, apart from the slightly higher price?

The Digital Extreme Edition also includes the following;

Europa Universalis IV: The Stars and Crescent Pack
The Star and Crescent event pack enhances the gameplay for rulers of the Muslim faith in Europa Universalis IV.
A total of 70 new event pictures contained in this package adds visual flavor to the gameplay experience. This event pack also contains several new events and event chains for Muslim rulers, adding to the gameplay immersion.

Europa Universalis IV: The Horsemen of the Crescent Unit Pack
Preferring speed and mobility over heavy armor, the cavalry of the Muslim world have been the pinnacle of warfare for centuries.
With a total of 12 unique cavalry models, for the Ottoman, Mamluk and Persian nations, the Horsemen of the Crescent Unit Pack enhances the visual experience of Europa Universalis IV.

Europa Universalis IV: The Conquest of Constantinople Music Pack
Inspired by the Siege of Constantinople, the Conquest of Constantinople Music Pack adds three new songs to the Europa Universalis IV soundtrack.
The three new tracks, containing 10 new minutes of masterfully composed music, were created by the talented Andreas Waldetoft, famous for the music of previous Paradox games such as Crusader Kings II, Hearts of Iron III and Victoria II.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-extreme-edition?___store=world

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I fail to see why Frederik IV of Denmark has 0/0/0.. I know that Denmark went bankrupt during his reign, but it was hardly his fault, and he -did- save his country from being annexed by the Swedes, leading them to lose the position as primary power in the Baltics to the Russians in the Great Nordic War 0f 1700-1721. He also instituted major reforms for schools and land ownership, so I'd say he'd at least could do with some admin and diplomacy, especially.

Was he just a forgotten character?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

THE BAR posted:

I fail to see why Frederik IV of Denmark has 0/0/0.. I know that Denmark went bankrupt during his reign, but it was hardly his fault, and he -did- save his country from being annexed by the Swedes, leading them to lose the position as primary power in the Baltics to the Russians in the Great Nordic War 0f 1700-1721. He also instituted major reforms for schools and land ownership, so I'd say he'd at least could do with some admin and diplomacy, especially.

Paradox being a Swedish company is the only explanation I can think of here

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

THE BAR posted:

What makes me mad is that the Republics always start out with rulers that are x/y/z but then when you elect someone it's always just 4/1/1, 1/4/1, or 1/1/4. There could be a small variance in republic ruler stats in my opinion.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

THE BAR posted:

Johan just straight-up throwing shade at the danes, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So south america has eaten 6 explorers so far and given me a tiny bit of prestige and about 50 adm points... gently caress these jungles.

My explorers also love to walk into other civilizations that are having massive revolts and fight their 15 stack rebel army.

Ok yeah so this is my first time using the El Dorado exploration features, and I've lost ~400 MIL just replacing conquistadors at this point. I'm having to abandon exploration to allow myself to catch up in tech. Is this the usual? I've been running 2 at once so I guess that's my mistake here.

• Locked thread