Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Got some weird server lag today and spotted planes 2 km off right as 5 torp squads dropped torps to the side. Couldn't turn in time so got hit by 3 in the end and was dead :argh: I guess Humble Bundle is to blame. (player count hit 4k+ :stare:)

Anyways I finally got New Orleans and it just feels the same as Pensacola. Maybe less likely to get citadel damage from 1 shell that manage to land through shotgunning, but I just don't feel any difference. I thought its AP shell would be better but that wasn't really the case as I only got like 1~3% of penetrated shells (Tier 7~8 cruiser/BB) actually damaging citadel even when fired within 10 km. Did wreck Tier 6 cruisers easily so I guess it just doesn't penetrate enough against higher tier. I calculated and average damage with AP and HE were roughly the same so I guess it's sometimes better to shoot HE to cause fire and force usage of Damage Control.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If you wish turrets would actually spin (instead of crawl) towards where you aim, start playing US destroyers instead.
US DDs are alright, except I wish it did bit more damage with torps since the range sucks. Watching enemy survive from all 4 torps is sad.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I cry at what they did to CV manual drops. Is there any guide for how to manage in this new era of wide lanes?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Depends on what part of the Furutaka you're waiting for to get better. If armor, not at all. If firepower through faster reload speed, very yes.

If you wish turrets would actually spin (instead of crawl) towards where you aim, start playing US destroyers instead.

Cool. Any recommendations for Aoba captain/upgrades?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I get guns after a few dozen battles, but is there a trick to aiming torps? Is it just a matter of practice?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Woodchip posted:

I get guns after a few dozen battles, but is there a trick to aiming torps? Is it just a matter of practice?

Hit X to lock on a target and the little gray line shows you where to aim to hit it if it keeps going straight at a constant speed. You have to account for turning or changing speed yourself. You'll never hit destroyers unless they're on top of you or very stupid.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah you need to account for enemy movement because the grey area only accounts for current enemy vector + distance to you. Also if you shoot wide then they might dodge through the gap between each torp or just take a hit if they can't turn in time. Just don't bother shooting only 4 tubes at wide angle from max range and it should be fine though. You can also use torps as last effort if you don't think you can run away, especially against battleships.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

cheese posted:

What? Also, we are already playing a game with plenty of nonsense changes made for gameplay improvement (unless you think the Iowa could eat an entire broadside of torpedo's and keep on chugging). You might not like limited ammo (does it ruin World of Tanks for you?) as one of those, but its certainly something they could consider.

Let's take this one, it's the only screenshot of a result screen I could find on my computer where I'm sure of the ship.

This is a game in the St. Louis, a ship with a 20 knot top speed according to stats and the speedometer ingame:

I was alive for 13 minutes, and since it's early in the morning and I can't do math in the morning, let's round that up to 15 minutes. I travelled 30 km in that time, so let's multiply that by four to get how many kilometers per hour. 30*4=120km/h

Having Google convert that to me, 120 kilometer per hour equals just under 65 knots, over three times what all ingame numbers say. And that is with one of the slower ships in the game. And remember, we added two minutes to the time spent, that number should be slightly higher.

One of the maps also have a village on one of the islands. Seen it? If not, I bet it's because it's so small.
I can't find a picture of it on Google, so it would be nice if someone could get a screenshot for me. A destroyer is the size of several large houses, it's silly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

wdarkk posted:

Cool. Any recommendations for Aoba captain/upgrades?

Captain:
* Both first-tier skills
* I say pick Aiming Expertise unless you're a genius torpedo person, Torpedo Armament Expertise is still great but it's better to pick it up later when torps start taking like 3 minutes to reload
* Defensive Fire is pretty much the only choice at third tier, Situation Awareness isn't very efficient for cruisers because your important time is spent blowing stuff up and giving away your position
* Pyromania's still nice, but take Advanced Firing Training if you really enjoyed having Defensive Fire, Vigilance isn't worth 4 points because from the Aoba on up you get to launch a seaplane that loiters for quite a while and spots torpedoes for you
* You'll be way past the Aoba by this tier, but Jack of All Trades to reduce Defensive Fire and Damage Control's cooldown lengths

Upgrades:
* Always always get Main Battery Modification 1 for the various reduced chances of bad stuff happening to your primary weapons.
* Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 doesn't have any drawbacks but sometimes can feel like a placebo upgrade. Main Battery Modification 2 is a trap because it makes you take longer to reload.
* Propulsion Modification 1. Going fast in this game not only affects your speed but also your ability to turn.
* Same reasons for Propulsion Modification 2, unless you're an idiot like me and only care about flipping around to shoot only half of a broadside that I forgot to bring to bear before contact. (Steering Gears Mod 2 is basically a speed sacrifice for wider zig-zag maneuvers.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Captain:
* Both first-tier skills
* I say pick Aiming Expertise unless you're a genius torpedo person, Torpedo Armament Expertise is still great but it's better to pick it up later when torps start taking like 3 minutes to reload
* Defensive Fire is pretty much the only choice at third tier, Situation Awareness isn't very efficient for cruisers because your important time is spent blowing stuff up and giving away your position
* Pyromania's still nice, but take Advanced Firing Training if you really enjoyed having Defensive Fire, Vigilance isn't worth 4 points because from the Aoba on up you get to launch a seaplane that loiters for quite a while and spots torpedoes for you
* You'll be way past the Aoba by this tier, but Jack of All Trades to reduce Defensive Fire and Damage Control's cooldown lengths

Upgrades:
* Always always get Main Battery Modification 1 for the various reduced chances of bad stuff happening to your primary weapons.
* Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 doesn't have any drawbacks but sometimes can feel like a placebo upgrade. Main Battery Modification 2 is a trap because it makes you take longer to reload.
* Propulsion Modification 1. Going fast in this game not only affects your speed but also your ability to turn.
* Same reasons for Propulsion Modification 2, unless you're an idiot like me and only care about flipping around to shoot only half of a broadside that I forgot to bring to bear before contact. (Steering Gears Mod 2 is basically a speed sacrifice for wider zig-zag maneuvers.)

Thanks. I assume that'll still hold for higher-tier cruisers more or less?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Woodchip posted:

The white lead indidcator is excellent, and just firing on its line is reliable as long as the enemy doens't maneuver. Use the 3 key to swap from wide to narrow spreads. Narrow is almost always better unless you don't have a good read on the enemy position.

For me, torps are mostly a matter of range, spread, and maximum salvo. This changes a bit at higher tiers as you have center line launchers, so you don't have to double up on salvos anymore.

Range: Know your torp range. If you're good, you can fire one salvo off before the target even enters range (target speed will make up the distance) and then close and fire another after their evasion, or turn and repeat if you have torp range > detection range.
Spread: Several factors here. Accounting for their evasion is the main one; when the torps are detected, they'll start a turn if they aren't stupid, so your later torps need to account for that. If they're already maneuvering, then you kind of eyeball it based on where you think they'll be. You can also time things so that later launchers in sequence fill the gaps between the early ones' torps. Finally, if you have the right angle, it's sometimes possible to fire each launcher in sequence so that they all close at different angles. This is much more difficult to dodge fully.
Salvo is just about planning your turns so you can fire both sides of your ship's launchers, if you're in a low-tier destroyer or destroyer-leader cruiser.

It helps to saturate an area that friendlies are already torpedoing, as the more angles the torps come in simultaneously the harder they are to dodge.

Torps can work on anyone. Destroyers are often right on top of you or very stupid. Even moreso if you can hit them blind in their own fog when they think they don't have to maneuver. Cruisers are vulnerable at close to medium range and will take hits at long range because they're stupid, battleships are vulnerable from almost any range. Remember, planes can spot torpedoes, so have some awareness that planes aren't on top of you when you fire if you care about how stealthy your launch is going to be. Sometimes you're in so close that it doesn't matter, though.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 19, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

wdarkk posted:

Thanks. I assume that'll still hold for higher-tier cruisers more or less?

The skill that increases AA range (I think?) gets good on the top tier cruisers, but otherwise you pretty much want the same skills on everything in the line. You could get the skill that boosts the hit point repair on the tier 9 and 10 I guess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to get a pretty good game on my Aoba: it's so much better than the Furutaki. I got to a point in the game where I was heading for an enemy aircraft carrier (I think it was Tier IV or V) and he sent a whole bunch of dive bombers against me: I hit my Y and most of them missed. Then I got a squadron of torpedo bomber going for me, and I just kept heading for them, denying them the shot. My AA was able to shoot down most of them and by the end, only a single torpedo bomber actually fired a torpedo, which I dodged easily: HE took care of the CV after that.

I then faced a full health Fuso by myself and managed to get two torp hits on him, reducing him to about 1/3 health, although I died shortly after. He was finished easily by our two remaining Fusos and CV after that. I think I made around 4.5k XP after premium bonus + 1.5x first win multiplier.

I would have probably struggled to replicate the above on the Furutaka. I'm glad I'm out of that POS. How's the Myoko btw?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Myoko is like a better Aoba. Then the Mogami is one of the best ships in the game. All three are quite fragile with easy to hit citadels. Always angle your ship and make peace with the fact that sometimes it will not be enough.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So, a friend I got into the game recently is having problems with the tier 6 American cruiser. It, according to him, hasn't the guns, maneuverability or armor/hit points to fight effectively much of the time. I've recommended the steering gears upgrade to help with the maneuverability issue, but is there anything in particular that he should be doing for the ships going forward? It was kind of an abrupt shift for him.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The Tier 6 cruiser is the cleveland which is probably pound for pound the best ship in the game so I'm not sure what to say. Tell him to shoot more things?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Rorac posted:

So, a friend I got into the game recently is having problems with the tier 6 American cruiser. It, according to him, hasn't the guns, maneuverability or armor/hit points to fight effectively much of the time. I've recommended the steering gears upgrade to help with the maneuverability issue, but is there anything in particular that he should be doing for the ships going forward? It was kind of an abrupt shift for him.
Guess he has Cleveland. Spam HE, angle ship when approaching enemy so he can shoot all his turrets but not fully expose broadside, try to play between 12~14 km for a bit until enemy has thinned out.

Seriously, 6 inch guns with 7.5 rpm shooting HE will make quick work of any DD and will be a general pain in the rear end against cruisers and even battleships.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 19, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tell him to take the upgrade on the guns that increases ROF at the cost of tracking speed, it is really worth it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
So today I encountered a tier IX jap CV, this thing is a monster.. How can people whine about CV being useless on the forum ?
He sank 2 Nagato in 2 flight without losing a single squadron, a good way to start a game.

He had some help from a Des Moines that was runing in circle and long range spamming the poor bastards but still.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/post-e3-madness/
THIS IS MADNESS!

I'm sad because I grinded hard to get New Orleans this morning.

Krogort posted:

So today I encountered a tier IX jap CV, this thing is a monster.. How can people whine about CV being useless on the forum ?
He sank 2 Nagato in 2 flight without losing a single squadron, a good way to start a game.

He had some help from a Des Moines that was runing in circle and long range spamming the poor bastards but still.
Low tier US carriers are kinda lacking, but high tier IJN carriers are monsters tbh. The horror as you watch 3~5 torp squads heading to you :negative:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

His biggest issue seems to be the fact that it loses a lot of maneuverability jumping from tier 5 to 6, the rudder shift time becomes longer. It was just jarring, I suppose. I've told him to stick with it, and he seems to be getting a bit better with it.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Rorac posted:

His biggest issue seems to be the fact that it loses a lot of maneuverability jumping from tier 5 to 6, the rudder shift time becomes longer. It was just jarring, I suppose. I've told him to stick with it, and he seems to be getting a bit better with it.

The 20% rudder module helps alot with this.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Aesis posted:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/post-e3-madness/
THIS IS MADNESS!

I'm sad because I grinded hard to get New Orleans this morning.

Low tier US carriers are kinda lacking, but high tier IJN carriers are monsters tbh. The horror as you watch 3~5 torp squads heading to you :negative:

This is null and void since all the upgrades will be gone anyway?

e:

Pubbies have bad opinions on ships. Who knew.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Main Battery Modification 2 is a trap because it makes you take longer to reload.

Seriously? I guess I didn't read it close enough, why would I want an upgrade that makes me aim slower and reload slower? This has to be a bug? I've had it on all my ships.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

jownzy posted:

Seriously? I guess I didn't read it close enough, why would I want an upgrade that makes me aim slower and reload slower? This has to be a bug? I've had it on all my ships.

It makes you aim faster.

+ Reload Time
+ Aiming Speed

It is a horrible choice of words and the + symbol. It really ought to be

- Reload Speed
+ Aiming Speed

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 19, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
+15% turret traverse speed and +10% reload time, so it lets you rotate turret faster at the cost of extra reload time. I just don't see any use for it apart from maybe Yamato, because that would cut its turret traverse time from 72 to 61.2 seconds at the cost of 3 seconds extra reload time.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Yes, it's worded poorly, and what would help people understand this is if they showed the upgrades applied to the stats like they do with hull upgrades.

Switching them out...

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Yes, it's worded poorly, and what would help people understand this is if they showed the upgrades applied to the stats like they do with hull upgrades.

Switching them out...

Don't feel bad, you're not the first one to do this. :negative:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Don't feel bad, you're not the first one to do this. :negative:
Same. Was like 'faster reload AND traverse?!' then I loaded game and saw reload time increase :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They don''t even need to reword it, a simple colour code of red = bad, green = good gets the job done

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The 4.0 public test server is up. The paid consumables are like the standard Repair and Smoke Screen, except they cost 15 gold per battle and have a 33% lower cooldown. On a Kuma, that means the free Repair is 90s cooldown versus 60s for the 15 gold one.

There are two sets of Camoflauge so far. One reduces enemy accuracy against you by 4%. The other modifies concealment range by 3%. They were around 10k silver. No idea if costs scale with tier.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

grrarg posted:

The 4.0 public test server is up. The paid consumables are like the standard Repair and Smoke Screen, except they cost 15 gold per battle and have a 33% lower cooldown. On a Kuma, that means the free Repair is 90s cooldown versus 60s for the 15 gold one.

There are two sets of Camoflauge so far. One reduces enemy accuracy against you by 4%. The other modifies concealment range by 3%. They were around 10k silver. No idea if costs scale with tier.

That's... less awful than I expected, p2w-wise. I think I'm okay with it?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Finally got this installed (after like 5 updates). I seem to have some framerate issues on high settings, and the sound gets really shaky. I guess I'll downgrade to medium for now and mess with settings later.

I got obliterated in my first co-op battle. My rudder got damaged and I ended up doing circles in the middle of one of the cap points, not realizing I could repair. oops. :shobon:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I can't get in, thing is rejecting my un/pw combo

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I can't get in, thing is rejecting my un/pw combo

Try using your email/pw.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
When does AP on BB's start becoming the go to ammo? I'm at tier 4 American BB's now and it just feels better to always shoot HE.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

Try using your email/pw.

That's what I have been using - works on CBT, works on tanks, works on the forums, works on account management, rejected by the botes test client. Others reporting the same problem in the official forum thread.

Wargaming can't even do the simple stuff without loving up.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

cheese posted:

When does AP on BB's start becoming the go to ammo? I'm at tier 4 American BB's now and it just feels better to always shoot HE.

Basic rule :
Shoot AP at ennemy BB if they are same tier or lower.
Shoot AP at ennemy CL/CA if they are Same tier or higher
Shoot HE at anything else

Advanced rule involve range and shell impact angle but I'm too lazy/bad to worry about that.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
NA beta code, please quote when used.
F93KZ-X7ZB9-6PMK4-9MRU5

Support didn't want to convert my bonus code from NA to EU, a lucky murican can enter this to get free premium stuff.
M539R-TGCHK-KMWK4-UTAA3

Krogort fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 19, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
It did say NA only :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ugh I hope this Cleveland grind is worth it, I'm tired of the Omaha and its 5.5km torps.

First game in my stock Cleveland.

:allears: You beautiful bastard. Its fast, nimble, its turrets rotate well, ranged is solid and the HE volleys just spew death to anything your size or smaller. Started the game off by 2 volleying a Minekaze on A (while dodging his torps with my good turning), then absolutely crushed an Omaha who got beached on the corner of an island. Next up was a Fuso at 7km who had his guns turned 180. I kept HE loaded and basically either lit him on fire or blew up a secondary gun/engine/steering with every volley. Used speed to get in range of an enemy Cleveland trying to cap B and then just spread HE goodness all over their carrier as the game winded down.