Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I wonder if there was some concentrated effort to make Martian Manhunter sound as bland and unappealing as possible in order to totally catch people off guard when it turned out to be really weird and floating a lot of good ideas.

It somehow ended on a loving callback to Chocos. That's the level this comic is operating on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Trast posted:

DC has finally hit on a formula that will keep people coming in for their books: constant relaunches. Just have new #1 issues every month! :v:
This is one thing DC should not copy from Marvel.

glitchwraith posted:

How was the dialogue in Dr. Fate? It was pretty bad in the sneak peek, which is a shame as I love the art and general direction they are taking the character.
It wasn't that ground breaking. Khalid is a typical fish out of water and this issue is pretty much pure set-up for the rest of the arc. The art is even better in this issue than in the 8-page preview.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Haven't heard anyone talking about Secret Six at all, which is understandable because it's been delayed for ages, isn't a relaunch, and is Gail Simone as gently caress, but this issue was actually pretty interesting.

Especially because one of the Six turned out to actually be Ralph Dibny. And also because New DCU Sue is still dead. Can't wait for Simone to explain that one. :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Genetic Toaster posted:

Haven't heard anyone talking about Secret Six at all, which is understandable because it's been delayed for ages, isn't a relaunch, and is Gail Simone as gently caress, but this issue was actually pretty interesting.

Especially because one of the Six turned out to actually be Ralph Dibny. And also because New DCU Sue is still dead. Can't wait for Simone to explain that one. :v:

Why would they do this terrible thing?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Semper Fudge posted:

DC only relaunched like 3 or 4 books, what are you talking about?

Why are people still so drat cynical about this.

Nerds are passionate about trivial numbers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Well, it's what DC teaches us. Try tracking all the ways they've shoved the number 52 into things that aren't the weekly series titled 52.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why would they do this terrible thing?

Because Simone learned all the wrong lessons from the first run, it seems.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Can smeone tell me what the new CHAPPiE Batman is like? It kind of seems a terrible idea to me, almost cringe worthy. Who next to take up the mantle of the Bat? Bullock?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It great. It really plays on it being a dumb idea.
In flashbacks for half of the book, Jim is basically you.

e: That's Batman. I dunno if it's any good in Detective Comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 19, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Genetic Toaster posted:

Simone is just going to do it because no one at DC has any idea about what they can and cannot do.

I tried to like Black Carney this week but gently caress if I didn't hate the art.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Can smeone tell me what the new CHAPPiE Batman is like? It kind of seems a terrible idea to me, almost cringe worthy. Who next to take up the mantle of the Bat? Bullock?

Bat Bullock would be awesome. If you really want to know what it's like then read the drat issue.

sbaldrick posted:

I tried to like Black Carney this week but gently caress if I didn't hate the art.

Sorry your eyes are broke.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
No need to get chippy about DC jokes. It's just this is another big relaunch in how many years? I'm glad they are taking more chances with unique titles and new creators.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Senor Candle posted:

Bat Bullock would be awesome. If you really want to know what it's like then read the drat issue.

Sorry your eyes are broke.

People asking what something is like on an internet forum? :argh:

Teenage Fansub posted:

It great. It really plays on it being a dumb idea.
In flashbacks for half of the book, Jim is basically you.

e: That's Batman. I dunno if it's any good in Detective Comics.

Wow, I'm seriously out of touch with the comics. I like to try and keep up with whats going on but I haven't read comics in some years. Much has happened if what the Batman is, is now controlled by other people. Do all WE execs know Bruce is bats? Does Gorden know officially that Bruce is bats now? I think I preferred it in the mid 80's/90's with dark psycho Batman, Jason (when he was DEAD!), Tim, Dick and co. I think there have been quite a few reboots since then. The last reboot when I were reading them was Zero Hour, which wasn't a reboot really, and I started reading them just after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 19, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

People asking what something is like on an internet forum? :argh:

Wow, I'm seriously out of touch with the comics. I like to try and keep up with whats going on but I haven't read comics in some years. Much has happened if what the Batman is, is now controlled by other people. Do all WE execs know Bruce is bats? Does Gorden know officially that Bruce is bats now? I think I preferred it in the mid 80's/90's with dark psycho Batman, Jason (when he was DEAD!), Tim, Dick and co. I think there have been quite a few reboots since then. The last reboot when I were reading them was Zero Hour, which wasn't a reboot really, and I started reading them just after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Nobody knows who Batman is/was. This company has stepped in after his apparent death to fill the void since Gotham always needs a Batman and they tapped Gordon to do it. If you read the issue it goes into a series of recruits they have training and why they wanted Gordon who is pushing fifty instead of one of the super fit young dudes they've picked from the academy.

I don't even think most people aside from Bullock and probably the new commissioner Maggie Sawyer know that it's Gordon in the suit. Barbara obviously doesn't know.

Come to think of it, does Sarah Essen exist in the New 52?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So what the gently caress happened to Gail Simone? Because I tried, I really tried to read this new Secret Six thinking for the first two issues "Oh it just needs to find its feet" but no it's just plain awful. I remember first getting into comics and picking up this book called Secret Six that had some clever dialogue and a bunch of villains living together and I really liked it. So I was hyped whenever it was announced as getting a relaunch, even after she made some poo poo comics in the interim, because I thought it would be the same. God, no. No no no, did I learn my lesson.

edit: VVV I feel like there was a time when she was good but maybe I was fooling myself back then. I'll have to reread the old Secret Six stuff and see if I still like it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 20, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

So what the gently caress happened to Gail Simone? Because I tried, I really tried to read this new Secret Six thinking for the first two issues "Oh it just needs to find its feet" but no it's just plain awful. I remember first getting into comics and picking up this book called Secret Six that had some clever dialogue and a bunch of villains living together and I really liked it. So I was hyped whenever it was announced as getting a relaunch, even after she made some poo poo comics in the interim, because I thought it would be the same. God, no. No no no, did I learn my lesson.

She's always been a terrible writer.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

She's always been a terrible writer.

Old Secret Six was good, and most of her other Pre-New 52 work was at the very least readable. I tried to like this version so much but it's just god-awful.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think it would do better with more established characters. Yeah Simone had some original characters in there, like Scandal, Catman (reimagined by her) and Ragdoll, but also pre-established names like Deadshot, Bane, Cheshire and more. This lineup is basically all characters she either made or ones that have barely been established in new 52 like Strix. We don't really know anything about these characters and she's not doing much to establish them before tossing us into the insanity.

I'm hoping it will read better in a full arc, but that will only happen if every issue doesn't get delayed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/612011324554526721

Interesting

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I'm hoping it will read better in a full arc, but that will only happen if every issue doesn't get delayed.

I highly doubt it. Hell, collecting it might make it worse, seeing how they jumped locations between issues 2 and 3 in a snap with practically zero explanation. If she keeps poo poo like that up, maybe it can be both bad and incomprehensible! Regardless, someone else will have to tell me if it gets better, because I'm finally learning to not read bad comics.

Also her Ventriloquist is the worst character in comics yes even worse than Deathstroke and Daken.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

false

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

His old friend Dick Grayson might just stop in to wish him luck. Let's us wish him luck too!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Wait a second, two batman spinoff characters are going to meet? What a groundbreaking development that totally doesn't happen every other month.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I highly doubt it. Hell, collecting it might make it worse, seeing how they jumped locations between issues 2 and 3 in a snap with practically zero explanation. If she keeps poo poo like that up, maybe it can be both bad and incomprehensible! Regardless, someone else will have to tell me if it gets better, because I'm finally learning to not read bad comics.

Also her Ventriloquist is the worst character in comics yes even worse than Deathstroke and Daken.

I'm trying to imagine how you make a Ventriloquist that's worse than the new Joker's Daughter.

She's 100% a serial killer, obvi. Does she still have a doll or does she turn her victims into puppets?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

She's 100% a serial killer, obvi. Does she still have a doll or does she turn her victims into puppets?

The puppet is implied to have a consciousness of its own and talks. Also she is an emaciated former film star (I think?) and every line of dialogue from her is either: a. I'm so pretty! or b. hitting on Catman.

Also there was a weird five-some off-screen between Issues 2 and 3. The puppet was involved. New Secret Six is garbage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wait a second, two batman spinoff characters are going to meet? What a groundbreaking development that totally doesn't happen every other month.

I remember something that was said about big events that shake up the status quo. You have to have a status quo to shake it up. I am really tired of all the events and cross overs that are always happening.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

The puppet is implied to have a consciousness of its own and talks.

That's One-Face level missing the point. Gail Simone, go home, you're drunk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

That's One-Face level missing the point. Gail Simone, go home, you're drunk.

Tell that to Paul Dini. He did the 'a lady gets the Scarface puppet and it acts the same' thing first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair on Scarface. His owners always think and act like he is alive. Every once in a while it's implied he is alive in a way as well. Though him being alive is usually limited to his owners who can hear him speak even when he is not being used, showing how crazy they are.

Wesker for example was pretty crazy. He briefly replaced Scarface with a sock puppet during Knightfall before finding Scarface again. His sockpuppet and Scarface proceeded to have a fight that resulted in gun use, resulting in Wesker shooting his hands and knocking himself out. This also allowed the police find and arrested him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

This is seriously the worst of all possible outcomes.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I finally got caught up reading all my new DC #1s. Here's how I'd rate them:

Good stuff, will definitely keep reading: Black Canary, Starfire, Martian Manhunter
Not that interested, might give it another issue or two: JLA, Section 8, Earth 2 Society
Won't keep reading: Midnighter, Omega Men (seriously, Omega Men was unreadable)

Anything else I should try to check out while I can still easily find stuff at the shop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We Are Rbin #1 is legit excellent. And GL the Lost Army was pretty good too. Both available tomorrow!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I finally got caught up reading all my new DC #1s. Here's how I'd rate them:

Good stuff, will definitely keep reading: Black Canary, Starfire, Martian Manhunter
Not that interested, might give it another issue or two: JLA, Section 8, Earth 2 Society
Won't keep reading: Midnighter, Omega Men (seriously, Omega Men was unreadable)

Anything else I should try to check out while I can still easily find stuff at the shop?

Prez, Bizarro, Robin: Son of Batman and Constantine were good stuff. Especially Prez.
e: Heck. Try Dr. Fate too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 24, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

We Are Robin #1 is legit excellent.

I can't wait to hear how DT didn't like it because a child was not brutally murdered. Also whenever I see the title of that book I read it like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3GA2EyQHBM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, no, the brutal murder of a child that he is excited for is a few issues down the line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

I can't wait to hear how DT didn't like it because a child was not brutally murdered. Also whenever I see the title of that book I read it like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3GA2EyQHBM

Ha!

Endless Mike posted:

No, no, the brutal murder of a child that he is excited for is a few issues down the line.

Let's be honest, brutal child murder is what we all got into comics for isn't it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Let's be honest, brutal child murder is what we all got into comics for isn't it?

It was certainly the last time I cared for Jason Todd.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

It was certainly the last time I cared for Jason Todd.

Even if he's had his ups and downs since, Under The Red Hood is super awesome. Never read the comics it was based on, though.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So this Darkseid/Anti-Monitor War is certainly a thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I care slightly less this month about how awful Flash has been and continues to be, because in this issue they brought back one of my favorite Rogues: Double Down.

I know he was stupid in the first place for a number of reasons and they somehow managed to make him look even dumber, but I don't care. He's back, and it makes me smile.

• Locked thread