Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What happens when he tries to go between two light posts? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drifting.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Leperflesh posted:

Nah that nut and bolt are a cherry red, a little lower than a forging heat:

:science:

You could grip it with a pair of pliars and, assuming you were not instantly electrocuted, you could apply enough force to squash it a little, using both hands. It should be a bit hotter before you do much work on it with hammer and anvil, though.

It's hard to tell with a photograph and monitor because of colors etc. but I'd guess it's around 1100 to 1200 degrees F.

e. Note that copper melts at 1984 degrees F.

so it's just relieving stress. nbd.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The only thing missing is Buster Keaton dangling from one end.
which would be gross, because he's dead

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sappo569 posted:

What happens when he tries to go between two light posts? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3WQYyy7nA

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Bets on whether someone said "Okay, we're going to do this very carefully" before this all went moving?

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

This is a few houses down from mine.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

bustercasey posted:

you live near groverhouse?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

bustercasey posted:

At least it swings in.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

bustercasey posted:

I bet its nice when they get a lot of rain. The non squareness of the concrete and hole bother me just as much as the door.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

death .cab for qt posted:

People who use the heel-toe method and insist it is a good thing

I don't think heel-toe means what you think it means.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is heel toe, FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIiarIrUCI

it is good and not bad

e. also Group B Rally was as OSHA.MP4 as you can get.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 19, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

This is heel toe, FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIiarIrUCI

it is good and not bad

I will never stop being terrified at the sight of those stupid-rear end spectators just barely getting out of the way of the speeding rally car.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You'd think it was the spectator deaths that finally killed Group B.

And it was, to an extent. But mostly it was the driver deaths. The cars were just...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4v76y6A2fk

e. That's just the intro to this: Too Fast to Race, which is well worth a watch if you can find it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Bets on whether someone said "Okay, we're going to do this very carefully" before this all went moving?

The Florida license plate should come as a surprise to no one.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God. That trunk lid/rear door could have decapitated one of them, easily.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

God. That trunk lid/rear door could have decapitated one of them, easily.

Holy poo poo yea I never noticed that before. That thing would have caved someones head in at the very least.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Leperflesh posted:

it is good and not bad

As a concept, maybe, but there's a large gap between "professional race car driver" and "19 year old in a civic with a spoiler and no muffler who saw this awesome thing on youtube".

The latter of which being where most of the :rolleyes: comes from whenever someone brings it up, especially in threads devoted to people shredding their cars (and themselves) doing stupid poo poo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What's the heel-toe method?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Teddybear posted:

What's the heel-toe method?

When downshifting in a manual car you use your heel and toe to push the brake and accelerator at the same time to stop the little jolt you get as you release the clutch.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

freelop posted:

When downshifting in a manual car you use your heel and toe to push the brake and accelerator at the same time to stop the little jolt you get as you release the clutch.

That jolt from releasing the clutch (because the engines rpm doesn't match the speed at the new gear) isn't usually a problem but in racing it can be enough to push the tires over their limit, making the car lose grip.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

freelop posted:

Or if you're driving an old manual in the winter and it wants to stall out you can keep the brake pushed down with your heel so you don't roll down the hill into the car in front of you at a red light while still giving it enough gas pedal with your toe to keep the engine turning over.

I miss that car.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Or if you're driving an old manual in the winter and it wants to stall out you can keep the brake pushed down with your heel so you don't roll down the hill into the car in front of you at a red light while still giving it enough gas pedal with your toe to keep the engine turning over.

I miss that car.

Why not just use the parking brake??? That's what I did the the master brake cylinder went in my 86 Renault Alliance poo poo box. Well, at least until that went too. Not having breaking power for more than 2 seconds and having to stop on hills really teaches you how to expertly manipulate first gear.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Why not just use the parking brake??? That's what I did the the master brake cylinder went in my 86 Renault Alliance poo poo box. Well, at least until that went too. Not having breaking power for more than 2 seconds and having to stop on hills really teaches you how to expertly manipulate first gear.

Not all cars have hand levers for the parking/e brake. It's not so practical with floor pedal parking brakes with a hood-lever like release.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Andohz posted:

That jolt from releasing the clutch (because the engines rpm doesn't match the speed at the new gear) isn't usually a problem but in racing it can be enough to push the tires over their limit, making the car lose grip.

The truly hardcore do this with their automatics too

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrath posted:

Not all cars have hand levers for the parking/e brake. It's not so practical with floor pedal parking brakes with a hood-lever like release.

We got my Explorer to the shop down the block that way, ya big baby.

Engine braking and very gentle clicking in on the ratchet, as the brakes developed a leak due to road debris cracking the line.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

We got my Explorer to the shop down the block that way, ya big baby.

Engine braking and very gentle clicking in on the ratchet, as the brakes developed a leak due to road debris cracking the line.

Yeah, it's doable but certainly not ideal. I had to limp a truck a few blocks to the closest Napa when the brakes went out in the middle of rush hour, it sucked but I did it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also a parking brake is not an e-brake and a lot of them have no more grip than necessary to sort of hold the car still when its parked.

Also a high-strung racing car may have a really aggressive clutch with a very narrow band of slip in it between full-on and full-off, so that "jolt" that you feel downshifting in a normal street car might be a huge lunge in a firebreathing five cylinder four wheel drive 400hp super-durable on-and-off-road professional Group B Rally car from 1986.

In any case, heel-toe is legit, on and off the streets, but yes also people who drive poorly and have bad skills exist and are legion.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

bustercasey posted:

Somebody just got home from Vietnam

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Cumslut1895 posted:

Somebody just got home from Vietnam

idgi

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6d8eKvegLI

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Also a parking brake is not an e-brake and a lot of them have no more grip than necessary to sort of hold the car still when its parked.

Parking brakes are the same thing as e-brakes (and also handbrakes).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, they're the "same thing" in the sense that the terms are used interchangeably, still. But manufacturers switched to referring to them as parking brakes because in many cases they are too weak to effectively stop the car, and - more importantly - the manufacturer does not want to imply that the brake will quickly stop the car "in an emergency". Most modern parking brakes only actuate the rear brakes, and some only actuate one of the rear brakes. Cars with rear drums often have a parking brake that only weakly actuates those drums, for example. Some cars with rear disks have a single, tiny independent drum inside the hub that is actuated by the parking brake.

A well-adjusted parking brake should be able to bring a car that is not in gear to a stop from any speed, eventually. Many can't (because they're out of adjustment), and few can stop a car that is in gear with the gas pedal applied... while the main brakes of a car absolutely can and should be able to do that.

In short, you're right... but I think it's worth drawing a distinction and consistently using the word "parking brake" instead of "emergency brake" when talking about handbrake systems that are not designed to rapidly bring a car to a safe stop while under power or while the main brake systems are still potentially functional.

That said, if you are in an emergency and your main brakes fail, you should use downshifting plus your parking brake to attempt to stop. If you are driving an automatic, you can often still get a little engine braking by shifting into a lower gear for a couple of seconds. If you are experiencing Unintended Acceleration, shift the vehicle into neutral (do not turn off the ignition) and then apply brakes as available.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Toilet flushed at Taco Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So awhile back I visited an old prison in northeastern Ohio. There was a lot of derelict electrical equipment there. I noticed this old disconnect switch:

Nothing particularly OSHA.jpg about it. Then I looked around the room.

What are those pipes doing overhead? :confused:

Oh, it's an electrical cabinet right in a shower room! I talked to one of the tour guides about it, he chucked and noted that yes, this was a shower room with an electrical panel in it. However, at some point the room was repurposed as a laundry - so that panel might have been put in later to serve the laundry. There was a chinsey wooden door, but it still gave me pause to see anything electrical in a shower room.

• Locked thread