Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Too many of those games don't have a time limit or simultaneous play like space alert so the clear path for each turn can be discussed and optimized. There should be a reason to limit communication or just be too busy for it.

Alternatively semi co-op with rankings in between winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
1 v Many games tend to have the best "co-op" experience in board games.

Letters from Whitechapel, Tragedy Looper, and Descent seem to be the best options there. I recommend Tragedy Looper.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm starting to find that I actively dislike any and all co-operative games, Space Alert notwithstanding, as I'd much rather butt heads with the other players than work with them to solve a collaborative puzzle that may as well be a single player game with other people around to help move the pieces.

I agree generally speaking, with exceptions. Hidden information and players having their own personal challenges is what makes coop fun, which is why Hanabi is great. Everyone has their own particular puzzle to solve and is simultaneously entrusted in trying to gauge how their puzzle rates against everyone else's. The only problem with Hanabi is that it can be very frustrating with players who don't use deductive logic as your killer clue will be ignored and the game ends abruptly.

Space Cadets and Mage Knight and the LOTR LCG seem like they satisfy the above to varying degrees. If the game is essentially the same experience when one person playing two hands as it is with 2 players, then I'm not a fan of playing it with a group.

Probably also related is the fact that getting together 4+ people with any regularity is becoming increasingly difficult and you can bet I'm not pulling out Pandemic on those occasions.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how it would play if Hanabi's declarative approach was applied to other co-op games after the fact. Like if you could only make 2 declarative statements of fact about cards already in play in LotR, no commands or questions

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I need to get more people used to Tragedy Looper so I can play with table talk off.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder how it would play if Hanabi's declarative approach was applied to other co-op games after the fact. Like if you could only make 2 declarative statements of fact about cards already in play in LotR, no commands or questions

Rest in peace broken loose's kickstarter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Holy poo poo, my version of cash and guns 2e doesn't actually have this guy:

This is really disappointing, I was looking forward to playing as stumpy :(

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oldstench posted:

Played A Fake Artist Goes to New York with 7 the other night.

Thanks for the writeup, I think I'll try to pick this one up based on this. :buddy:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

More drama re: Queen DXV Kingdom builder.

quote:

Sen-Foong Lim and I have not been paid by Queen for 2014 - for our game, Tortuga (which didn't sell 1/10th of what Kingdom Builder probably sold - but still). Queen pays once per year - which is way less frequent than every other publisher we deal with (usually twice per year or once per quarter). Then they have 90 days after the end of the year to pay up - which means March 31st. It's now June 19th and we still haven't been paid. We've sent them numerous emails - with hardly any responses.

Now they say they are trying to deposit the money into our bank accounts (they don't send checks for some odd reason) - and when a European company tries to deposit into a North American bank - it is not so straight forward. When we got our advance we had some issues with the information that they needed - and there was a lot of back and forth - but eventually we got our advance.

Now they're claiming that the bank info we gave them is not working. This seems shady since they have already used our bank info to give us our advance - and nothing has changed on our end (I even double checked with my bank). So it's been a couple weeks since their last email and I'm getting quite frustrated. I'm glad Donald expressed his frustration and I hope karma happens...(and we get paid!)!

quote:

Z-Man has been 100% prompt with all payments and I have no issues with them or any other publisher we work with! We had to even request multiple times to get our designer copies of the game Tortuga (as per our contract). We didn't get our game until 8 months after everyone else had theirs.

Then when we finally got it and played it - the rules were changed from what we submitted and the game is not as fun as what we created IMO. We posted 'advanced' rules on BGG - which are really our original rules to the game (with one new exception).

It's been a bit of a mess and I don't like airing this dirty laundry - but I don't like it when people aren't treated with respect and fairness.

http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/3adts6/queen_games_hasnt_paid_donald_x_since_2014/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

quote:

Z-Man has been 100% prompt with all payments

I have friend who had a game published by Z-Man and they simply haven't payed him at all.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 19, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't played any of the Vinhos/Kanban/CO2 guy's games yet but the theme on this new game looks amazing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/167427101/the-gallerist-a-game-by-vital-lacerda-the-art-of-s

E: I've kind of been on the fence re: trying Lacerda's games because it seems like they have a lot of complications that make them complex to execute and understand but maybe not leading to greater strategic depth. At least, that seems to be the reaction of some of the critical reviews I've read. A lot of people like them though

E: Here is how the designer ranks his own games in weight:
Vinhos - 3.9
Kanban - 3.7
Co2 - 3.5
The gallerist - 3.3

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2015

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The Tigris and Euphrates app is down to $1 on the Apple store if anyone wants to play a game. My Game Center nickname is Pascal the Jackalope.

I guess I should say the app has a few minorly annoying aspects (more frequent than seems right popup adds on start), but I think it's a good implementation overall.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I haven't played any of the Vinhos/Kanban/CO2 guy's games yet but the theme on this new game looks amazing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/167427101/the-gallerist-a-game-by-vital-lacerda-the-art-of-s

E: I've kind of been on the fence re: trying Lacerda's games because it seems like they have a lot of complications that make them complex to execute and understand but maybe not leading to greater strategic depth. At least, that seems to be the reaction of some of the critical reviews I've read. A lot of people like them though

I definitely feel that way about Vinhos (only played it once), but Kanban is a pretty mechanically tight game that's not as complicated as it sounds/looks. The Gallerist sounds cool, though I still need to read the manual, and I'm kind of iffy about supporting Gryphon/Eagle because I've heard shady things about them in the past.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Pascallion posted:

The Tigris and Euphrates app is down to $1 on the Apple store if anyone wants to play a game. My Game Center nickname is Pascal the Jackalope.

I guess I should say the app has a few minorly annoying aspects (more frequent than seems right popup adds on start), but I think it's a good implementation overall.

Popup ads on a paid app is kinda ew but yeah, it is a well done implementation and also unlike most board game iOS ports the tutorial is actually useful for learning the game if you're new to it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Trip Report: Dominion Beta is unplayable garbage.

Pretty much none of the features people wanted have materialized, base game cards don't even work right, and it's a frightfully large, overwrought pile. Also, I think it might be getting even more expensive.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Quintin Smith, He of Sometimes Questionable Taste of Late, has reviewed Forbidden Stars and really really likes it: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-forbidden-stars/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Quintin Smith, He of Sometimes Questionable Taste of Late, has reviewed Forbidden Stars and really really likes it: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-forbidden-stars/

Mine is on the way. I hope to play it next week but that may not happen.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Mine is on the way. I hope to play it next week but that may not happen.

Trip report please! I'm interested in "feel-good war"

e: Their first playthrough with 4 took 5 hours!!! :chloe:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 19, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It's not going to be a fast game, that's for sure. That's why it may not happen.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Trip report please! I'm interested in "feel-good war"

e: Their first playthrough with 4 took 5 hours!!! :chloe:

Starcraft was a similarly long game, so this doesn't surprise me. I was really hoping Forbidden Stars was going to be shorter, although I'll wait for real impressions before putting my foot down (or play it myself eventually).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Broken Loose posted:

Starcraft was a similarly long game, so this doesn't surprise me. I was really hoping Forbidden Stars was going to be shorter, although I'll wait for real impressions before putting my foot down (or play it myself eventually).

Thanks for reminding me I need to sell my copy of Starcraft.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A bit late to the party here, but here are my problems with when Tabletop gets rules wrong:

It causes players who later play the games to also get them wrong, because they're just doing what Wheaton did. I had this happen to me with Tokaido. Wheaton said that the artist paints while eating and thus doesn't paint if unable to afford food, which is a very reasonable interpretation of the iconography - but the rulebook clarifies that those sorts of cards happen at the inn whether or not you eat. Took a couple of games before somebody found that out. Not a big deal, but annoying.

It can make the games terrible. Coup and thread favourite* Dead of Winter had this happen, and maybe Forbidden Desert judging by what was said earlier? This can lead to a much worse case of the above, or even the game just looking awful and why would anybody ever play this?

On the other side, sometimes they will use a house-rule and announce it (Concept, which the manual even encourages, Say Anything, and I think Fortune & Glory did this). This is OK since now viewers know what's what.

"Literally every" show having significant errors is definitely wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's around 30-50%. Definitely only watch if you're being entertained, rather than using the show as a gameplay guide.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
TableTop is fine if you can stand the guests and watch it for entertainment, and awful if you watch it for instruction. It's not good, but it's probably the best tabletop games show on at the moment.

The best one ever is probably UFBRT, but that stopped after like 10 episodes D:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

He has to take responsibility for what happens on his show. No one cares about producers etc.

Some years back, JPL (Mars people) lost an expensive satellite because there was a mix up between metric and Imperial measurements. Totally a contractors fault, they failed to follow the contract. JPL didn't publicly blame the contractor, they stepped up and took the heat.

I really won't watch his show, he needs to show some class.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No one HAS to do anything this isnt Russia :mad:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

Just got my copy of Pictomania. Should have bought it earlier but yeah, glad I finally made the purchase. Such a good game.

I'm getting mine tomorrow. I'm gonna have to pay a big FLGS premium, but they let my group use the store each week, so they deserve some :20bux:.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

TableTop is fine if you can stand the guests and watch it for entertainment, and awful if you watch it for instruction. It's not good, but it's probably the best tabletop games show on at the moment.

The best one ever is probably UFBRT, but that stopped after like 10 episodes D:
I think Board Game Replay are legit good to watch. I've really liked their videos for insight into games I haven't played and have only heard of.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Wait Starcraft the board game is going for $300? The WoW one too?

Holy poo poo I have $600 of terrible board games in my closet and I had no idea.
EDIT: Okay closer to $400 but still.

Misandu fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 19, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably. If you offer them in good condition for $200 a piece, you'll probably get it. Undercut those ridiculously high prices with your own high prices.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Played one game of Pictomania and really enjoyed it. Lots of different interactions...so feels very Vlaada.

Very happy with the purchase.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Self imposed time limits make me feel so stressed. In a good way. I think.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There are no good board game shows, only degrees of bad

UFBRT

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I'll take calendale's odd musings over will wheaton's weird enunciation, calendale should start a show

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Until he literally cries about his ex and mtg

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently Queen is paying Donald now and offering and advance etc. He is still postin'

quote:

That post, or maybe the crosspost to the kickstarter, appears to have motivated them; they are very apologetic and in fact have offered to pay me an advance on next year's royalties. And they fixed the royalty statement to include the missing stuff (also there was missing stuff on the royalty statement, but that could totally be an honest mistake; RGG for example recently accidentally overpaid me for online Dominion, in one of their quarterly payments).

So next year they could be just as late but a hunk of it would be early instead. What about the year after that, you may be saying. It's a question isn't it.

I haven't signed a new contract yet; it seems only prudent to wait to see if the money shows up before making any rash decisions.

Obv. the expansion's existence depends on this; I mean if you ever want the expansion and I want to be nice to fans of KB, I should give them an extension. They have of course helpfully pointed this out.

quote:

For some game companies I think it's strictly just a pre-order system that lets them sell some copies directly to customers for a bigger cut.

It would be nice if Kickstarter split that stuff up - here are things really being kickstarted, here are things just being pre-ordered.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19560882#19560882

So yay maybe

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

Obv. the expansion's existence depends on this; I mean if you ever want the expansion and I want to be nice to fans of KB, I should give them an extension. They have of course helpfully pointed this out.

Sounds like somebody's got some chutzpah there.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Is dead. RIP UvulaBob, thanks for teaching me how to play Caylus. Hope you're gaming up in Heaven now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just pulled the trigger on an order from CSI, Argent + Mancers and Tash Kalar + Everfrost were just enough to qualify for free shipping. Been putting off getting those for long enough, I need something new to bring to board game night so people will stop suggesting lovely Kickstarter games and Cosmic Encounter.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I still think competitive team games are the wave of the future.

Video games are already there and arguably a better medium for that. I wouldn't mind seeing board game designers try though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm looking at Specter Ops at the moment as a potential pick up in the future, what are peoples thoughts on it? I'm checking out some videos online and it seems to be fairly positive.

It's either that or I might pull the trigger on the anniversary set of Dungeon Lords, I did enjoy that game quite a bit.