Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, but he'd keep up the pretense, even in the face of the Apocalypse. 90 percent of what I want for this game is now Cheers references.

[Norm walks into slaver den and everyone shouts "Norm!"]

Cliff: Heya Norm, I thought you were spending time with your wife today?
Norm: You know, I was going too but ah- earlier today I went down to the Institution looking for more slaves to capture
Cliff: Oh yeah, how'd that go?
Norm: I didnt capture any slaves, too risky- but I got to talking to one of the scientists, and we worked out a deal...
Cliff: Slave shipment?
Norm: Nah, even better- Those eggheads managed to create aaaahh whatdoyacallit- "Mandroid", a sorta robot who looks just like people do, one that looks just like me. So he can spend time with the wife while I hang here at the bar.
Cliff: You mean them Synthetics the Institutes make? Gee Norm I don't know if that's a good idea, I mean- What if he gets the idea to try and uh... Well, replace you?
Norm: Well funny enough I did think of that, and I found a solution.
Cliff: What's that big guy?
Norm: I just killed the real norm so he couldn't deactivate me.

[The room falls silent as everyone looks at the Synthetic Norm]

Norm: But hey, enough about that- DRINKS ON ME

[Everyone cheers at Syntheic Norm. Cliff pats him on the back and Norm's face falls off revealing his internal workings]

Norm: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

[Laugh Track]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Count Canuckula posted:

Thanks for this- I felt kinda bad for buying a key from a thirdparty source at a discounted price, but then again video game prices in Canada are jacked up for no real good reason so I guess this is fair.

Don't feel bad, I would've gladly paid $80 for the game and something cool like a dogmeat stuffed toy or a Mr. Handy action figure (with articulation). But an extra $60 for a plastic cellphone case?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I've always wondered what is it about the engine that makes everything on a surface start floating an inch above it if you pick anything else on that surface up

I haven't played enough Skyrim to know if they fixed it but it was definitely in NV.

electromagnetic force

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Nevets posted:

Don't feel bad, I would've gladly paid $80 for the game and something cool like a dogmeat stuffed toy or a Mr. Handy action figure (with articulation). But an extra $60 for a plastic cellphone case?

It comes with a few other doodads as well but I agree it is getting a bit steep. The $150 Best Buy Canada wants is still tempting but I have a $200 Amazon gift certificate I'd rather use if I can.

Also I need this to add to my collection of other pointlesss things a rarely look at.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Wouldn't really be accurate at all because New Vegas is the best Fallout

That's a weird way to spell "Fallout 2"

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
The first time I walked into a building with a million mole rats and the game took literally five minutes to resolve after my turn, I knew falllout 2 was not for me.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Reason posted:

You could tell from the first released trailer it was going to be ugly, I don't know whats wrong with people. The first thing people were saying after seeing that poo poo was that it was ugly and poorly animated. Bethesda is showing they need to pass the torch for open world RPGs. Maybe just spend some of their moneys to buy REDengine 3 or something.

it's not exactly ugly - tech wise it's cod ghosts level graphics at worst

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So are all three of Bethesda's games are going to be using the same engine?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Wouldn't really be accurate at all because New Vegas is the best Fallout, and it's not even that old. It's old in video game years, which seems to be anything older than three years, but it came out like four years ago. The Oblivion engine it was built on is loving ancient though, doesn't change the fact that it's still the newest Fallout prior to this one.

Why am I responding seriously to this guy?!
MisterBibs is a special boy. Do not respond or interact with the exhibit.

Fallout 4: MisterBibs is a special boy

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Which three games do you mean? Fallout 4 is using their old gamebryo/creation engine, and their only other recent game is Fallout Shelter, which obviously doesn't use the same engine.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Creation is an in-house mutation of Gambryo, the engine they have used since Morrowind in 2002.

So, yes, get used to the engine because it is just what they use. If they move to a different engine later, it will likely be because they changed Creation enough to call it something else.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No.
FO4 will run on Bethesda's own Creation Engine (pretty sure they're still calling it Creation Engine).
Doom will use Id Software's own IdTech 6 and Battlecry Studios licensed the CryEngine. Pretty sure Arkane Studios will also use the CryEngine for Dishonored 2.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 19, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Raygereio posted:

No.
FO4 will run on Bethesda's own Creation Engine (pretty sure they're still calling it Creation Engine).
Doom will use Id Software's own IdTech 6 and Battlecry Studios licensed the CryEngine. Pretty sure Arkane Studios will also use the CryEngine for Dishonored 2.

Oh, THOSE games

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I don't want to play Video Game Dad Man because that's gonna make it hard as poo poo to be in-character as a roving waster cannibal.

Oh my God who would have the stomach to be Jeffrey Momer

PC, dripping with blood and wearing bondage gear: [Polite] Hey family, I'm back!
Idiot Child: [Hip and With It] Hey, yo, my moms. What is up? You are ruining the carpet. Like a buster.
Worthless Spouse: [I Just Care About Her, OK] Yeah, honey, what did I tell you about going into the wastelands alone, it's too dangerous for a woman, I mean a lone person.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm okay with playing a dad in Fallout, because then you can be the one to bust out of the vault, leaving your child in the capable hands of the overseer. The kid will be safe down there while you go out and help the common people of the land.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Soho Joe posted:

I don't want to play Video Game Dad Man because that's gonna make it hard as poo poo to be in-character as a roving waster cannibal.

Oh my God who would have the stomach to be Jeffrey Momer

PC, dripping with blood and wearing bondage gear: [Polite] Hey family, I'm back!
Idiot Child: [Hip and With It] Hey, yo, my moms. What is up? You are ruining the carpet. Like a buster.
Worthless Spouse: [I Just Care About Her, OK] Yeah, honey, what did I tell you about going into the wastelands alone, it's too dangerous for a woman, I mean a lone person.

I usually play a Sunday Dress Skull Crusher in ever Fallout Game anyway so I'm cool with this.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Witcher 3, Mad Max and Fallout 4. This is the year of open world dad games.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Bholder posted:

That's a weird way to spell "Fallout 2"

Fallout 2 relied too much on humor that amounts to "here is a reference!".

Also, San Francisco was embarrassingly racist.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

marktheando posted:

Witcher 3, Mad Max and Fallout 4. This is the year of open world dad games.

you forgot MGSV, big boss is a dad too

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr Tastee posted:

Fallout 2 relied too much on humor that amounts to "here is a reference!".

There was also Wild Wasteland in Fallout New Vegas but that was optional. But of course you want it on because you get to visit Johnny Fiveaces' final resting place.

Even without WW on, New Vegas had random, more subtle pop culture references like the teenage punk girl named "Trash" who wanted to be a ghoul, which was a reference to the punk girl-turned-zombie Trash from Return of the Living Dead.

e: Also the Fallout franchise is on a Daily Deal today on Steam, so I went ahead and took the plunge on the GOTY version of Fallout 3 for all the DLC, just so I can finally get around to playing it in Tale of Two Wastelands.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So you think there's gonna be a new Nuka cola rival? Maybe a Sprite or mountain dew flavor of soda. Hey maybe prewar america made Energy drinks a thing so well have monster or redbull.

Sunset Sarsparilla forever!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hihohe posted:

So you think there's gonna be a new Nuka cola rival? Maybe a Sprite or mountain dew flavor of soda. Hey maybe prewar america made Energy drinks a thing so well have monster or redbull.

Sunset Sarsparilla forever!
Sunset Sarsaparilla explicitly has no marketshare in the Northeast, so expect it to be an easter egg like Nuka Cola Quantum was

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Count Canuckula posted:

Thanks for this- I felt kinda bad for buying a key from a thirdparty source at a discounted price, but then again video game prices in Canada are jacked up for no real good reason so I guess this is fair.

Why? GMG is a legitimate digital store, it's not one of those scam sites that buy game keys for with stolen credits cards.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nevets posted:

Also GMG is actually a legit site, Witcher 3 shenanigans aside.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

oblomov posted:

Also GMG is actually a legit site, Witcher 3 shenanigans aside.

Didn't it turn out that GMG got the keys from Bandai Namco instead of from CDPR directly?
It kind of ended up making CDPR look bad, honestly.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

The Institute being a major player as was hinted in Fallout 3 might be pretty cool. I am all up for entirely new factions that aren't riffs on old ones appearing.
There's a lot of potential with the Institute. Seems like a perfect place for there to be a bunch of Big MT style Mad Science shenanigans, but with more external impact if they're going to be a major faction.

It also gives a good excuse for the DC Brotherhood to be there. Cracking down on irresponsible technology use is (or at least was) kind of their thing... but if they just smash their way into the Commonwealth being all high and mighty, it's not likely they'll be well received by the locals. That would be an interesting conflict from the perspective of the common people living in Boston. Maybe the Institute is a bit creepy, and they've got those android slaves, maybe some vagrants disappear from time to time to be experimental subjects... but if they're otherwise decent trading partners and quiet, if not good, neighbors, you could imagine that the DC Brotherhood bringing in a holy war to stop them would raise some hackles.

You could have an honestly "mad science" institute without having black and white factions.

If Fallout 3 was the only precedent, I'd say something like this would be laughable, but Skyrim shows that Bethesda's trying out settings with more shades of grey. Even if it comes off as "both sides are assholes" that's great progress from the situation Fallout 3.

Alternate idea, building off of the "both sides are assholes" premise: It's not the DC Brotherhood invading, it's the Outcasts once and for all splitting away from the DC Brotherhood, heading off to do what the Brotherhood is really about- not handing out water to wastelanders, but loving up bad guys abusing technology.

Of course, their red and black aesthetic might bring to mind ancient prophecies of "Redcoats" invading. Church lanterns will be lit. Midnight rides will be made. Etc.

The one thing I really worry about though is how stupid the idea of the Railroad is. Things have got to be kind of cushy if there's a major faction not worried about raiders or starvation or anything... but helping weirdly dissatisfied robots.

What we've seen so far does not make the Commonwealth seem all that stable. It seems to be full of truly absurd numbers of raiders, just from that refugee quest we've seen. The idea that those refugees can exist in the same neighborhood as a whole organization to help out robots is... kind of silly.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 19, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Sunset Sarsaparilla explicitly has no marketshare in the Northeast, so expect it to be an easter egg like Nuka Cola Quantum was

I wonder what'll return from New Vegas, if anything at all. Seems like they're really big on doing their own thing.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lotish posted:

Honestly, playing a member of an Enclave organization would have been an alternative to what we're getting without having the time-skip thing and been in keeping with the origins from F1&2. The whole "we're the original US" could have lent itself to complete period propaganda saturation, so you might even start the game in a simulation of what the world was like as part of the indoctrination education system, so you know what you're fighting to reclaim as they suit you up and send you into the world. Then your mission goes wrong, your power armor could be badly damaged, and then you have to get by with your wits and what you find to establish a base and decide for yourself if the wasteland is worth saving or if the old world is worth rebuilding.
We can always hope they'll save it for Fallout: Chicago. Get unfrozen or sent out of indoctrination camp to do reconnaissance on the area and reestablish communication with the main base located deep in a trogg infested city, play detective to track down where the real bunker actually is without tipping off the BoS, and run a hellacious gauntlet to find a few dozen battered, weary grunts led by a comms officer who's been field promoted so many times that she's the highest ranking officer left in the official chain of command. She knows the game's up, and she's trying to figure out a way to surrender with as little bloodshed as possible. Unfortunately, that runs totally parallel to the plans of the BoS and the Enclave NCO back at the Indoctrination Station.

It'd be worth it for the Chicago blues tracklist alone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder what'll return from New Vegas, if anything at all. Seems like they're really big on doing their own thing.
Apparently House went to the pre-war Institute. It would be cool if he was mentioned at least.

New Vegas is far enough away physically, and close enough in time, that it would make sense that not much gets directly referenced. If there's barely any New Vegas references, it won't feel like they're deliberately spurning it. It's not like the NCR would have any relevance, nor would the Legion, and it would be a huge ridiculous effort for any character to cross the continent.

It might be cool if there was the body of an incredibly lost Legion scout you could find somewhere as an easter egg. Kind of a reverse ED-E.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

I think that's the biggest disappointing thing I've seen so far. Hopefully they've incorporated a few things and it's just too early to tell.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Eiba posted:

If Fallout 3 was the only precedent, I'd say something like this would be laughable, but Skyrim shows that Bethesda's trying out settings with more shades of grey. Even if it comes off as "both sides are assholes" that's great progress from the situation Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 had shades of grey the Enclave were assholes and your Dad was an rear end in a top hat.

"Your safety is all that matters, that's why I'm going to leave you in a vault run by a control freak psycho that will probably take out my escape on you. -Love Taken Dad"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Eiba posted:

It might be cool if there was the body of an incredibly lost Legion scout you could find somewhere as an easter egg. Kind of a reverse ED-E.
It would be even funnier if it was a dead NCR soldier, because that was a running joke in New Vegas that you find them in the weirdest places.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It would be even funnier if it was a dead NCR soldier, because that was a running joke in New Vegas that you find them in the weirdest places.

What were some of those places again? I remember finding some on Black Mountain, but that's it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

What were some of those places again? I remember finding some on Black Mountain, but that's it.
There are one or two dead NCR soldiers in a couple of the vaults, various places in the hills, and IIRC there was one in the area surrounding Jacobstown.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fallout 4 will have the Midwest Brotherhood from Tactics invade with their army of robots from Vault 0 against The Institute with their army of androids they've built and their new secret weapon, Liberty Prime Mk. II.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

There's a lot of potential with the Institute. Seems like a perfect place for there to be a bunch of Big MT style Mad Science shenanigans, but with more external impact if they're going to be a major faction.

It also gives a good excuse for the DC Brotherhood to be there. Cracking down on irresponsible technology use is (or at least was) kind of their thing... but if they just smash their way into the Commonwealth being all high and mighty, it's not likely they'll be well received by the locals. That would be an interesting conflict from the perspective of the common people living in Boston. Maybe the Institute is a bit creepy, and they've got those android slaves, maybe some vagrants disappear from time to time to be experimental subjects... but if they're otherwise decent trading partners and quiet, if not good, neighbors, you could imagine that the DC Brotherhood bringing in a holy war to stop them would raise some hackles.

You could have an honestly "mad science" institute without having black and white factions.

Alternate idea, building off of the "both sides are assholes" premise: It's not the DC Brotherhood invading, it's the Outcasts once and for all splitting away from the DC Brotherhood, heading off to do what the Brotherhood is really about- not handing out water to wastelanders, but loving up bad guys abusing technology.

Of course, their red and black aesthetic might bring to mind ancient prophecies of "Redcoats" invading. Church lanterns will be lit. Midnight rides will be made. Etc.

The one thing I really worry about though is how stupid the idea of the Railroad is. Things have got to be kind of cushy if there's a major faction not worried about raiders or starvation or anything... but helping weirdly dissatisfied robots.

What we've seen so far does not make the Commonwealth seem all that stable. It seems to be full of truly absurd numbers of raiders, just from that refugee quest we've seen. The idea that those refugees can exist in the same neighborhood as a whole organization to help out robots is... kind of silly.

This is interesting theory crafting however I will say that this is the exact path that leads to bitter disappointment.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
Wait is the Railroad stuff just speculation based on the name or are they literally shoe-horning in a cheap slavery analogue for emotional impact.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Fallout 4 will have the Midwest Brotherhood from Tactics invade with their army of robots from Vault 0 against The Institute with their army of androids they've built and their new secret weapon, Liberty Prime Mk. II.

I'd be down for this. The Midwest Brotherhood was remarkably successful, but definitely not good guys, though I guess depending on your ending they could be a bit different (I never actually finished, but I understand that you put a human brain into the control module for the robo factory and which brain you choose can lead affect the kind of people that get to survive).

SexyCommando posted:

Wait is the Railroad stuff just speculation based on the name or are they literally shoe-horning in a cheap slavery analogue for emotional impact.

The people running the Railroad certainly think what's happening is slavery, and I'm pretty sure you supposed to too. Depending on how you build your androids though, I think it's like no different than Mr. Handies.

edit: In case I'm assuming prior knowledge on your part, there was a Railroad for android liberation out of the Commonwealth in Fallout 3. It's not speculation except to assume that it will be back now that we're almost certainly going to the Commonwealth.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 19, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Heres hoping for a weird wasteland option :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Eiba posted:

BZZZZZZT WRONG

Haven't you been reading this thread Eiba

We've all agreed that Bethesda never improves at all and that you can judge the merits of every game they will ever release based on the past few.

• Locked thread