Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Aston posted:

No More Animé Swordsmen!

Pfft. Guybrush is American as apple pie :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sharrrk posted:

the mii fighters are the worst thing to ever happen to smash bros. and thats a fact

You are wrong.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I do wish the Miis got a facelift from the Wii to Wii U transition though, if they were going to be featured in so much stuff. They look like dolls compared to the 360 avatars

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

360 avatars are actually worse

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Pfft. Guybrush is American as apple pie :colbert:

Translators Note: anime means cartoon

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Give me Buzz Lightyear.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Translators Note: anime means cartoon

The term Anime typically refers to Japanese animation, aka Japanimation :goonsay:

(I should know, because I literally have a borderline useless 2D animation degree and the student debt to prove it)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

The term Anime typically refers to Japanese animation, aka Japanimation :goonsay:

(I should know, because I literally have a borderline useless 2D animation degree and the student debt to prove it)

It's not useless you were able to clarify to KingofSprings what anime is, I would say that is money well spent

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I think the mii fighters are a good addition to the series, and would be open to more varieties.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It's not useless you were able to clarify to KingofSprings what anime is, I would say that is money well spent

My years of slaving away...all for this glorious moment

Agreed in the Mii fighters being a cool concept in general and more classes would be welcome. I want a Mii Mage so I can recreate my Diablo 3 wizard ingame and shoot endless fireballs, gently caress the gunner

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zonekeeper posted:

I know wanting K. Rool is a thing here and all, but why is anyone under the impression Nintendo gives a poo poo? The Kremlings have only appeared in Rare developed games

That's not remotely true; Kremlings and K. Rool appear in many more games such as Super Mario Strikers and its sequel, Mario Super Sluggers, Donkey Konga, DK King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, etc.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

less laughter posted:

That's not remotely true; Kremlings and K. Rool appear in many more games such as Super Mario Strikers and its sequel, Mario Super Sluggers, Donkey Konga, DK King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, etc.

What a shame

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Raserys posted:

I think the mii fighters are a good addition to the series, and would be open to more varieties.

Consider this variety, then: "Mii" fighting you.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I would like to see one other Mii fighter option open up (maybe a heavy fighter option?) and have Miis allowed in online play. What is the reason they aren't allowed on For Glory anyway??

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Roy is a great amazing character and i'm v happy that my loyalty to liking him as a character was rewarded but can we please never try and bash Lucina and Marth who are also cute excellent characters in his stead thanks.

E: oh whoops that post was quite old. The dumb guy with the bowser avatar is still wrong though. Lucina and Marth are separate but equal anime swordsmen.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Roy is a great amazing character and i'm v happy that my loyalty to liking him as a character was rewarded but can we please never try and bash Lucina and Marth who are also cute excellent characters in his stead thanks.

E: oh whoops that post was quite old. The dumb guy with the bowser avatar is still wrong though. Lucina and Marth are separate but equal anime swordsmen.

they're actually much much worse and marth is lame

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

net cafe scandal posted:

I am not so good at smashing, so I'm afraid it would not be much of a fight.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Ruggington posted:

they're actually much much worse and marth is lame

And Lucina is worse than Marth, gameplay-wise.

(Though I don't think either one of them are lame.)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Cuckoo posted:

My years of slaving away...all for this glorious moment

Agreed in the Mii fighters being a cool concept in general and more classes would be welcome. I want a Mii Mage so I can recreate my Diablo 3 wizard ingame and shoot endless fireballs, gently caress the gunner

Please look forward to Mii Shortswordsman and Mii Broadswordsman

Folt The Bolt posted:

And Lucina is worse than Marth, gameplay-wise.

(Though I don't think either one of them are lame.)

Nope sorry Lucina was my main while waiting for 9 months for Roy and I can guarantee you she is perfectly competitive and also kawaii.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Smashing Link posted:

What is the reason they aren't allowed on For Glory anyway??

Nintendo is afraid of offensive troll Miis flooding the serious matches.

...is what I would say if it weren't for Miiverse accomplishing that anyway. So I don't loving now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Nope sorry Lucina was my main while waiting for 9 months for Roy and I can guarantee you she is perfectly competitive and also kawaii.

IT'S TIME TO CHANGE FATE

*down-throws you into guaranteed nothing*

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I was never into the sword people in melee nor brawl. Started using Shulk in this one, got a little bored and moved to Lucina. My cousin uses Roy and the battles are super intense like in the melee days. I like the sword people now, they are new to me.

Welp that my story, cya

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Do I have you friended? My NID is FactsAreUseless.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I don't have a Wii U, friend.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Sorry, but no. Marth has safer attacks, gets the tipper, and totally outclasses her if they're pitted against each other.

(And if you have Roy, she has no niché left for her.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Everything is relative. If Marth(and Roy, now) did not exist, Lucina would be fine. But she exists in a context where there is a character who is the same, but objectively better than her. Not hugely, but by enough to count

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Folt The Bolt posted:

(And if you have Roy, she has no niché left for her.)

It's spelled niche

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

zolthorg posted:

The dumb guy with the bowser avatar also mained Lucina for 9 months, hth

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't have a Wii U, friend.
Why are you even here, then? :confused:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Everything is relative. If Marth(and Roy, now) did not exist, Lucina would be fine. But she exists in a context where there is a character who is the same, but objectively better than her. Not hugely, but by enough to count

And that's basically kind of why she's obsolete if Roy is there. Because Marth and Roy kind of specialize their swordplay, their styles help them stand out from each other AND rewards them when they play to their strengths. Meanwhile, Lucina's swordplay is more general, but so average to the point where she kind of becomes a master of none. If she goes up against Marth, Marth can basically keep her at swords reach because unless Lucina doesn't play Marth's way, he gets to attack, and if she does, she is in danger of tippers. Meanwhile, Roy's speed is greater than either of them, and his sword is so good at the base that Lucina must never let Roy get to close in on her, something that Marth would do better since he has tippers and safer attacks on shield. Against the other fighters, Lucina has nothing in her moveset that Marth or Roy can't do better.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Cicadas! posted:

3DS version.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 19, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

And that's basically kind of why she's obsolete if Roy is there. Because Marth and Roy kind of specialize their swordplay, their styles help them stand out from each other AND rewards them when they play to their strengths. Meanwhile, Lucina's swordplay is more general, but so average to the point where she kind of becomes a master of none. If she goes up against Marth, Marth can basically keep her at swords reach because unless Lucina doesn't play Marth's way, he gets to attack, and if she does, she is in danger of tippers. Meanwhile, Roy's speed is greater than either of them, and his sword is so good at the base that Lucina must never let Roy get to close in on her, something that Marth would do better since he has tippers and safer attacks on shield. Against the other fighters, Lucina has nothing in her moveset that Marth or Roy can't do better.

Roy is a beautiful character and I am enjoying playing him to a ridiculous extent but why is he faster than Marth and Lucina

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

To talk about Smash, le tard.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cuckoo posted:

I do wish the Miis got a facelift from the Wii to Wii U transition though, if they were going to be featured in so much stuff. They look like dolls compared to the 360 avatars

I found Xbox Avatar's Final Smash.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

IronicDongz posted:

Marth is a swordfighter with a sword that's stronger at the tip but weaker at the base.
Roy is a swordfighter with a sword that's stronger at the base but weaker at the tip.
Ike is a swordfighter with lots of power and weight, but is slower.
Lucina is a swordfighter with lots of speed, but is lighter and less strong.

I like to think of Lucina as an antithesis to Ike rather than Marth or Roy, and it makes a surprising amount of sense that way. Would've been more fitting if Lucina's moveset was patterned after Ike's though WHY ISN'T IT SHE FLINGS AETHERS IN HER OWN GAME DAMNIT AAAAAA

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

To talk about Smash, le tard.

Oh, you're one of those people.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Remember when you made the worst posts this thread has ever seen?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SL the Pyro posted:

Marth is a swordfighter with a sword that's stronger at the tip but weaker at the base.
Roy is a swordfighter with a sword that's stronger at the base but weaker at the tip.
Ike is a swordfighter with lots of power and weight, but is slower.
Lucina is a swordfighter with lots of speed, but is lighter and less strong.
I think you've been misinformed.

Lucina is not different than Marth in any way other than not having tippers and having slightly strong base sword damage to compensate(which is not worth it!), and being slightly less tall than Marth which means a couple of her attacks have like... a pixel or two less range, as a side effect. That's it. She is not faster, and in fact Roy is faster than both of them while also being able to combo off of throws and having better killing power for the most part

The only tradeoff Lucina has is a tradeoff that is not in her favor.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

IronicDongz posted:

I think you've been misinformed.

Lucina is not different than Marth in any way other than not having tippers and having slightly strong base sword damage to compensate(which is not worth it!), and being slightly less tall than Marth which means a couple of her attacks have like... a pixel or two less range, as a side effect. That's it. She is not faster, and in fact Roy is faster than both of them while also being able to combo off of throws and having better killing power for the most part

The only tradeoff Lucina has is a tradeoff that is not in her favor.
Welp, I was clearly looking at the wrong wiki then. (why is there more than one)

...But I will happily agree that Roy should not be as fast as he is. Wasn't he deliberately slower than Marth in Melee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Roy is a beautiful character and I am enjoying playing him to a ridiculous extent but why is he faster than Marth and Lucina

His dash and falling speed are faster, I believe. And I think he ties with Marth and Lucina for walking speed (and possibly air speed).

• Locked thread