Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Raygereio posted:

No.
FO4 will run on Bethesda's own Creation Engine (pretty sure they're still calling it Creation Engine).
Doom will use Id Software's own IdTech 6 and Battlecry Studios licensed the CryEngine. Pretty sure Arkane Studios will also use the CryEngine for Dishonored 2.

I thought they said they were using the idTech Void Engine for Dishonored 2. The logo was at the end of the trailer at least. I wasn't sure about Fallout 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Wouldn't really be accurate at all because New Vegas is the best Fallout, and it's not even that old.

Yes, that's the point I'm making. You might think it's the best Fallout, but there's plenty of people who'll react with a :wtc: response to that now, much less after 4 comes out.

It's still what NMA mentality, just attached to a different game.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 19, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SexyCommando posted:

Wait is the Railroad stuff just speculation based on the name or are they literally shoe-horning in a cheap slavery analogue for emotional impact.
They're from a really silly quest in Fallout 3.

In fact, the only known plot hook for Fallout 4 is this quest, where they establish that the Institute makes perfectly human robots that try to escape, and that there's a group trying to help those robots escape called the Railroad. We know there's something called the Commonwealth Police, and that they have a "Synth Retention Bureau". They're willing and able to track an android all the way down to Rivet City... where there is a pretty well developed Railroad network. That's right, as far away as the Capital Wasteland there are half a dozen well connected people who are dedicated to freeing nonsensical androids. Not bringing down the actual network of slavers that operate locally... just freeing some strange non-human creatures from a distant country.

Basically, it's a big old Blade Runner reference awkwardly shoehorned into a setting that doesn't really support it. It's... not a very promising start to Fallout 4's world, but there are aspects that could be interesting.

Moridin920 posted:

This is interesting theory crafting however I will say that this is the exact path that leads to bitter disappointment.
Possibly, but I think poo poo like that is interesting for its own sake. If the story ends up being heroes vs villains again I was never going to be engaged to begin with, so at least I got to dream before hand.

And I'll enjoy the game anyway. Can't be worse than 3 in terms of plot, but I count that as one of my favorite games anyway just for how much fun I had exploring.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I wanted to be forgiving of the Railroad, for the sake of argument, I have to imagine they were people originally from and invested in the culture of the Commonwealth who feel the android "slavery" was wrong and that's what they want to address, and they built the Railroad out into the DC wastes to create distance from the Commonwealth (regardless of the fact that the Institute doesn't see that distance as any reason to stop pursuit, given the value of what's lost). The Railroad are unloading the androids there, but are not actually cognizant of local concerns, like the actual real human slavery that dominates much of the place. They're fixated on their thing and that's what they put their energy into.

So yeah, they're dumb, naive, ignorant and/or inconsiderate, but I can imagine real people being those things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

In fact, the only known plot hook for Fallout 4 is this quest, where they establish that the Institute makes perfectly human robots that try to escape, and that there's a group trying to help those robots escape called the Railroad. We know there's something called the Commonwealth Police, and that they have a "Synth Retention Bureau". They're willing and able to track an android all the way down to Rivet City... where there is a pretty well developed Railroad network. That's right, as far away as the Capital Wasteland there are half a dozen well connected people who are dedicated to freeing nonsensical androids. Not bringing down the actual network of slavers that operate locally... just freeing some strange non-human creatures from a distant country.

Desmond, one of the npcs from Point Lookout, is from the Institute too. Or the brain guy was. One of them, anyway.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
Sentient androids, like super mutants, threaten the future survival of the human race and must be purged :colbert:

(or at least given cyber-lobotomy so they're back to autonomous work machines)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lotish posted:

If I wanted to be forgiving of the Railroad, for the sake of argument, I have to imagine they were people originally from and invested in the culture of the Commonwealth who feel the android "slavery" was wrong and that's what they want to address, and they built the Railroad out into the DC wastes to create distance from the Commonwealth (regardless of the fact that the Institute doesn't see that distance as any reason to stop pursuit, given the value of what's lost). The Railroad are unloading the androids there, but are not actually cognizant of local concerns, like the actual real human slavery that dominates much of the place. They're fixated on their thing and that's what they put their energy into.

So yeah, they're dumb, naive, ignorant and/or inconsiderate, but I can imagine real people being those things.

The railroad is specifically funneling them into the capital wasteland and are also uninterested in human slavery because in their own words there are other factions and groups working to combat it at the same time. So yes.

The game itself addresses all this but I guess it's been long enough since most people played it they just don't remember.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I thought they said they were using the idTech Void Engine for Dishonored 2. The logo was at the end of the trailer at least.
Yeah, it's Void Ending for Dishonored 2. I was half-remembering some headline about Arkane Studios licensing the CryEngine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, that's the point I'm making. You might think it's the best Fallout, but there's plenty of people who'll react with a :wtc: response to that now, much less after 4 comes out.
Namely, people lacking vital cognitive functions like MisterBibs

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

The game itself addresses all this but I guess it's been long enough since most people played it they just don't remember.
Yep! I didn't remember that at all.

Still kind of silly, but at least they tried to address it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

Yep! I didn't remember that at all.

Still kind of silly, but at least they tried to address it.

For what its worth the one full member you actually meet says they do help humans too when they can, which would make sense because I doubt there are enough fully human robots running around to need to keep agents in the wasteland around 24/7 to protect them.

Maybe they funnel the humans up to the commonwealth and the robots down to the capital. The underground fanbelt.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

For what its worth the one full member you actually meet says they do help humans too when they can, which would make sense because I doubt there are enough fully human robots running around to need to keep agents in the wasteland around 24/7 to protect them.

Maybe they funnel the humans up to the commonwealth and the robots down to the capital. The underground fanbelt.
Michael Kirkbride or someone with similar amounts of weapons-grade OCD would explain that is exactly how the dialogue in Fallout 3 is incredibly wooden :aaaaa:

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I'm not too worried about the main plot as the Cheers total conversion mod will make up for it.

It will feature an immersive alcohol crafting system and the AI will learn and develop its own Dad jokes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Guys, the more pressing question about the android is : WHAT DO THEY EAT. Can we expect the world to provide sustenance for the androids or will the lack of any synthetic fuelling stations shatter our immersion and cause us to go on a 3-page rant about the horribly broken mess?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

khy posted:

Guys, the more pressing question about the android is : WHAT DO THEY EAT. Can we expect the world to provide sustenance for the androids or will the lack of any synthetic fuelling stations shatter our immersion and cause us to go on a 3-page rant about the horribly broken mess?

Electric Sheep

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

stimpaks

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

khy posted:

The what they eat idea is kinda silly because the game mentions that too a bunch. People are farming and harvesting the animals around the wasteland and the caravans are trading them to settlements and lone survivors throughout. In better times there was even a straight up mirelurk butcher factory but a rival operation elsewhere in the area had it sabotaged and destroyed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

khy posted:

Futurama already answered this question

Poolparty posted:

immersive alcohol crafting system

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

khy posted:

Jesus you're even more mad about people mad about fallout 3 then the people who are mad about fallout 3.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Only assholes play videogames, so we're presented with two choices:

1) accept reviews from people who watched only a trailer or even just heard some things through the grapevine

2) accept reviews from a bunch of assholes

khy posted:

They pause time and stuff 80 cabbages in their face and use that as biofuel

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want to know information about the leveling system, and the voice actors, and what parts of Boston there are, and how crafting works. Release the information, Todd Howard, or I'll convince that guy who tried to pay for the game with bottlecaps to start a campaign where everybody does it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I only want them to tell us more about the Perk System, THATS ALL I WANT TODD

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

frajaq posted:

Yeah, I want to start building Norm and thinking about what he would take as he levels up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Possibly, but I think poo poo like that is interesting for its own sake. If the story ends up being heroes vs villains again I was never going to be engaged to begin with, so at least I got to dream before hand.

And I'll enjoy the game anyway. Can't be worse than 3 in terms of plot, but I count that as one of my favorite games anyway just for how much fun I had exploring.

I think Fable hype scarred me as a child so I might be more wary than is necessary.

Molyneux built up my dreams only to shatter them into tiny little pieces.

quote:

Last time I was talking about a game feature, I got really excited and said it would be ‘the utopia of game design’, but that’s just me talking with no filter. When I was at Microsoft, there were these PR policemen in the room trying to pour buckets of cold water over me when I got too excited.

:argh:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 19, 2015

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Bicyclops posted:

I want to know information about the leveling system, and the voice actors, and what parts of Boston there are, and how crafting works. Release the information, Todd Howard, or I'll convince that guy who tried to pay for the game with bottlecaps to start a campaign where everybody does it.

What's the current exchange rate of dollars to caps? If this is going to be a thing I want to invest now before the speculators start inflating the currency. Also maybe buy a stake in a bottling plant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

frajaq posted:

Yeah, Boston means nothing to me personally, but perks are paramount.

If they cut Shotgun Surgeon or And Stay Back, I will hang myself. Deathclaw-bowling with a shotgun was a grand ol' time.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
I want to know how much of the tens of thousands of lines of dialogue were reserved for the radio and how much budget went into buying song rights, because I really don't want to listen to the same 15 songs followed by the same five anecdotes over and over again, interspersed with "Misterrrrr New Vegas" title cards every five minutes (which admittedly was much, much better than hearing THAREEEEEEE DAAAAAAAAWG, but it still got old pretty quick).

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

SexyCommando posted:

I want to know how much of the tens of thousands of lines of dialogue were reserved for the radio and how much budget went into buying song rights, because I really don't want to listen to the same 15 songs followed by the same five anecdotes over and over again, interspersed with "Misterrrrr New Vegas" title cards every five minutes (which admittedly was much, much better than hearing THAREEEEEEE DAAAAAAAAWG, but it still got old pretty quick).

I'd prefer if they DIDN'T spend too much money on licensed songs, if only because that's something that's super-easy to fix with mods compared to how much of a budget drain it can be.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SexyCommando posted:

to the town of agua fria rode a stranger one fine day
hardly spoke to folks around him didn't have too much to say
no one dared to ask his business no one dared to make the slip
for the stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip

big iron on his hiiiiiip

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I'd prefer if they DIDN'T spend too much money on licensed songs, if only because that's something that's super-easy to fix with mods compared to how much of a budget drain it can be.

true but they can pull a TON of stuff from the 1950s or whatever that is probably public domain by now and would fit right in

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

That's true. I wonder how much it costs to actually license songs that old, and if any of them are public domain by now.

The only problem is they are really keen on limiting it to songs that either explicitly or vaguely relate to nuclear bombs/energy, and there's only so many of those.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 19, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nevets posted:

What's the current exchange rate of dollars to caps? If this is going to be a thing I want to invest now before the speculators start inflating the currency. Also maybe buy a stake in a bottling plant.

About $0.60 per cap. Or 360 caps for a new copy of Fallout 4.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
as an aside, CONELRAD and that existence station run by a robot were both pretty great

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

When did everything go so wrong??

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Moridin920 posted:

to the town of agua fria rode a stranger one fine day
hardly spoke to folks around him didn't have too much to say
no one dared to ask his business no one dared to make the slip
for the stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip

big iron on his hiiiiiip

true but they can pull a TON of stuff from the 1950s or whatever that is probably public domain by now and would fit right in

The Radio New Vegas bug was hilarious. 4 of the 25 songs wouldn't play, and instead I think it would just play big iron in their place.

I think that's why they also included Radio Mojave: same songs, but no announcer.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SexyCommando posted:

Jesus you're even more mad about people mad about fallout 3 then the people who are mad about fallout 3.

MAYBE! But at least i'm not as mad about people mad about fallout 3 as the people who are mad about being a dad in Fallout 4.

Marin Karin posted:

Big Iron is an OK song, just overplayed.

Johnny Guitar, now that poo poo will follow you into your nightmares.

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere was never a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan like my johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Like the one they caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalled johnny Guitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

khy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 19, 2015

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Big Iron is an OK song, just overplayed.

Johnny Guitar, now that poo poo will follow you into your nightmares.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

khy posted:

MAYBE! But at least i'm not as mad about people mad about fallout 3 as the people who are mad about being a dad in Fallout 4.

The second thing could have two interpretations, the people who are angry that the PC has a child, or the people who are crazy for the idea of playing a Dad in their first playthrough.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Everyone is scared the first time they become a father; it's only natural.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
Your strength stat is determined by how many other dads your son claims you can beat up at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SexyCommando posted:

Your strength stat is determined by how many other dads your son claims you can beat up at school.
at ghoul school

• Locked thread